Coffee - gween tea

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

asr

kiwifarms.net
Maybe the high-end grinders will elaborate on the beauty of a bean like a Yirgacheffe in a way that intrigues me. I'll ask my local shop if they currently have any.
Yes and no, there is a degree of diminishing returns when it comes to grinders. Really the only thing with high class grinders, or any really that matters is the burr geometry, how constant the grind is which is due to important factors like alignment. The burr geometry effects what kind of distribution you get, basically either a unimodal or bimodal, for pour overs, most people tend to agree that unimodal tastes better, your experiences may vary due to the fact that taste is subjective. At a certain point, which is now cheaper than ever (it's why I want a vario to mod) you hit that point of diminishing returns. After that what matters more is the chemistry side of things (my favorite, I'm a sped for chem is you couldn't tell by now) which would be your water composition and temp of said water. Of course if you're doing pour overs then the geometry of the pour over device matters as well, cone or flat bed. Cone shape tends to perform better with a finer grind, opposite for flat bed brewers. After that it comes down to your preferred method of applying water.

cowboytakeshi

kiwifarms.net
I've never really understood how to get into coffee.
I always drink french press dark roasts with a little hand crank grinder and drink one of those a day with vanilla creamer or black on occassion. I like iced espresso or lattes with some flavor too. Whenever I have tried to branch out with light roasts I can't get over how disgustingly sour they are. Do you just begin to like it if you keep drinking different coffee roasts?

thejackal

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I always drink french press dark roasts with a little hand crank grinder and drink one of those a day with vanilla creamer or black on occassion. I like iced espresso or lattes with some flavor too. Whenever I have tried to branch out with light roasts I can't get over how disgustingly sour they are. Do you just begin to like it if you keep drinking different coffee roasts?
Sounds kinda like you just don't like coffee, no big deal. But if you want to keep trying maybe try some pour over style or start ordering Americanos.

awoo

Awootist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It sounds like you already drink coffee so idk what is meant by getting into coffee
I've never had light roast be sour whatsoever so idk what is going on for you

JoseRaulChupacabra

Nanananana. Nanananana. Nanananana.
kiwifarms.net
Whenever I have tried to branch out with light roasts I can't get over how disgustingly sour they are. Do you just begin to like it if you keep drinking different coffee roasts?
Grind as fine as you can go and brew as close to boiling as possible. Not sure if this will work with the press, but pour equipment is cheap. It's quite a bit different from dark roast coffee, so it could also be an acquired taste.

Could also be a roaster thing. I lament that the more affordable roaster I get my coffee from started roasting darker sometime last year. 2 years ago, their medium roast was almost light - was legitimately dense, had notes of brown sugar like sweetness when well extracted with prominent saltiness when underextracted. Now my grinder churns through their beans like butter and the coffee tastes of ash.

It's been almost 2 years, and I've yet to find another roaster that delivers the same quality at their price point.

soggy london

Do you think you could buy me a bottle of Rosé?
kiwifarms.net
Just keep trying different kinds. I used to hate the taste of black coffee but now I can't function if I don't have a mug of the starbucks blend I keep at home. Some brands taste better than others. Also, if you like a little sweetness you could look into buying Torani syrup. If you don't like it though, you don't like it, and that's ok too.

cowboytakeshi

kiwifarms.net
It sounds like you already drink coffee so idk what is meant by getting into coffee
I've never had light roast be sour whatsoever so idk what is going on for you
i think the main thing is that branching out/getting more precise about coffee has seemed daunting from what i've read online. Idk either about the sourness, but light roasts are super popular where I am and whenever I've gone out to coffee it's what places offer and it's just weirdly sour
Just keep trying different kinds. I used to hate the taste of black coffee but now I can't function if I don't have a mug of the starbucks blend I keep at home. Some brands taste better than others. Also, if you like a little sweetness you could look into buying Torani syrup. If you don't like it though, you don't like it, and that's ok too.
that makes sense, i only really branch out when i'm going out to get coffee but i think most coffee places here use the same stuff. i might try getting a different roast to brew at home

Deadwaste

i hate the internet and in return it hates me
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Guys, I adore doppio.
me too buddy
1637609479648.png

Archeops

Trying to find the meaning of Life, no luck so far
kiwifarms.net
Oh man, I’m already seeing Starbucks put out their yearly Thanksgiving, Holiday, Christmas blends out…

I’ve always hated Starbucks coffee (their brewed coffee, not their handcrafted espresso drinks) unless I’m in a pinch or I need to kill an hour or so, but I can actually stomach their Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Anniversary blends for some reason.
Instant is much better than people give it credit for.

Fite me.
Instant coffee has gotten a LOT better since the early days, better freeze-drying methods and the introduction of microground coffee (IIRC Starbucks‘s Via line of instant coffee uses both) have made it much more palatable to consumers.

Haram Exercise

Whatever it takes c'mon
kiwifarms.net
I prefer instant because I can better control the amount of caffeine I consume. Also it tastes fine. If I feel like adding something I'll add a packet of cocoa powder.

BluntyBitch

Sharp as ATTACK
kiwifarms.net
I remember sifting thru a family's cuoboard, finding some instant, okay make it , I'm sipping it .. and I'm like... Hmm..there's something missing. Kept sipping, pondering, what is it missing?

Then I realized that thing that was missing was taste.

Black tea is def a better choice.
Instant is much better than people give it credit for.

Fite me.
I buy the Aldi brand beans for $5 a bag or so , they usually have arabica, and grind them at home with a $10 Walmart grinder every time (keep bag in freezer in airtight bag) and it's the best cheap coffee by far.

I would fight for my beans. I'm stashing that shit for when the grid goes down again. I even have a handcrank grinder for camping. Why even resort to instant?

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
I buy the Aldi brand beans for $5 a bag or so , they usually have arabica, and grind them at home with a $10 Walmart grinder every time (keep bag in freezer in airtight bag) and it's the best cheap coffee by far.
well thats alot of work for no reason...
It's less than a minute of prep lazyass . Plus the smell of grinded beans wakes ya up . Instant coffee doesn't have that smell
pregrinded coffee will stay good for quite some time. never had problem with it, but i buy a bag every week because i lost controll of my coffee consume a long time ago...

Coffee makers with a grinder are the worst, they need alot of cleaning and the cofee gets stale super fast, even if not grinded.

Splinters RCVD ✞

Babylon comes, but there is hope!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What is it about coffee beans that makes them better smelling and tasting than already ground coffee? I don't get the physics behind it.

BluntyBitch

Sharp as ATTACK
kiwifarms.net
Cffee makers have grinders? I guess I'm living in the stone age. Which is ok, I'm not usually into modern technologies. (Like dehydrators, wtf, my gas stove works way better for that) I can't say I'd use a machine that did both, sounds like too much cleaning. I never clean my grinder besides tap n shake it to get the previous grounds out

I was raised with a percolator (the kind that you put on the {superior gas} stove , not the plug in kind), but it's def better with a filter than without. The square kind of filter with the hole in the middle that you fold in. Also ppl tend to burn it/overcook with this method so I don't know anyone that makes cowboy coffee as good as me. Tho, once in Estes Park on a mountain i tried to make coffee, and burned it twice. Didn't go well. First time making coffee in high elevation. Then I invested in a camping mug kind that drips a pint.

The difference from freshly grinded beans vs preground is astounding. Can't explain the science just that it's better. Smell is stronger, taste is better and fresher and just ... Cleaner taste. Even in a cheap ass grinder from Walmart.

Also, not a fan of dark or blonde, medium is the way to go. Apparently it has the highest caffeine content (I don't know the science why dark is less). When I tap my maple and get syrup every year, I get addicted to maple syrup in my medium coffee, the syrup taste like shit in blonde/dark idk that science either.

I know the syrup raises glycemic index but whatever, i only tend to do it in springtime. (Am curvey but not a fat fuck at least)

Once I roasted beans with a friend who thought himself a hippie foodie type. The taste was... Strange. Maybe they weren't roasted enuf or correctly (probably).

Kurerigs are the fucking worst . I usually ask whoever is making me one to double it so it doesn't taste like coffee flavored water, so my neighbor did 2kcups on the small cup setting. It still tasted like flavored water. The full flavor if a full pot just isn't there.

I had an espresso cappuccino machine but it didn't work well. I think it needed a deep cleaning or something. Too much work to dick around with. Easier to clean /delime a standard drip maker.

I like my coffee like I like my men.
Bitter and murky.
well thats alot of work for no reason...
A lot of work? Man coffee kiwis are lazy.
Reason is better coffee on the cheap

Eta: fun Thx story - friends mom is a little old catholic lady, shes in her 70s, and was asked how she takes her after dinner coffee, and she replied "once you go black you never go back!" And all of us were just hiding our snickering , cuz how do u explain this to a sheltered old lady?