Coffee - gween tea

• ATTN NEW USERS: I strongly suggest using a real, alter-ego email address from a reputable provider and using a Password Manager to securely keep tack of it. If you forget your email and password I cannot restore your account. These are good practices in general so stop being lazy.

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
Cffee makers have grinders?
The big machines that also make you creamy milk and shit.
we have one at work and its just the worst, super expensive i guess, bad coffee, needs weekly cleaing and a technician once a quarter.

The difference from freshly grinded beans vs preground is astounding. Can't explain the science just that it's better. Smell is stronger, taste is better and fresher and just ... Cleaner taste. Even in a cheap ass grinder from Walmart.
both are out into vacuum right after the roasting.

I was raised with a percolator (the kind that you put on the {superior gas} stove , not the plug in kind), but it's def better with a filter than without. The square kind of filter with the hole in the middle that you fold in.
those are not so good for real coffee, more for southern european style on the cheap.
i use paper filters and some old handmedown Melitta. Takes a bit of practise but you can get double the punch with a good taste if you use the right amount of coffee and water.

I had an espresso cappuccino machine but it didn't work well. I think it needed a deep cleaning or something. Too much work to dick around with. Easier to clean /delime a standard drip maker.
the real good ones are way to big for home use. i get my fix at a near by gas station on the way to work, they have a massive italian machine and it only costs .90$ for an espresso.
the best espresso i ever had was in porto, dont know how they called it, but it was strong and tasty,,,,

I like my coffee like I like my men.
Bitter and murky.

Murky coffee comes from the water. clean one is better, as long its from natural water and not purified.

Reason is better coffee on the cheap
preground is cheaper and you get alot more diverse selection. my local super market has 10 different whole bean coffees and 100 preground.
even the coffee shops ask you if they can grind your coffee for you,

Im also drinking way to much coffee to grind it myself.

Generic Retard

kiwifarms.net
Bought some beans to try out recently and figured out that the "nice" Zassenhaus grinder my mom gifted me, is actually a piece of shit with a bent crank or smth. (After cleaning I cranked the adjustment screw down tight to align the grinders, then after putting in all the screws i loosened it. The two halves still touch on one half of the crank rotation. That way I get "huge" chunks and turkish coffee dust at the same time ...)
So I bought myself an electric grinder and now I am drinking way too much coffee until I have dialed in the correct grind for my hipster medium-light roast coffee (nice taste but hard to get the coffee extracted nicely, mine is still too acidic).

On another note: Fuck Lavazza, worst coffee I ever had. I wanted to try the Crema Classico in my Bialetti and the only taste I got was hollow and bitter, not even a hint of body in the entire bag (smell was amazing though). Even the pre-ground "espresso"/moka coffee from Lavazza is shit. Segafredo all the way for supermarket coffee.

Afterthought: Milk in paper-filtered coffee is just evil, it tastes disgusting imho. Funnily enough it tastes alright in coffee brewed through metal mesh or portafilters.

Last edited:

Archeops

Trying to find the meaning of Life, no luck so far
kiwifarms.net
I got a close family member an Aeropress coffee maker as a Christmas gift since everyone seems to love it (that and similar portable coffee makers are kind of expensive) and they're a big coffee aficionado, if they like it I may get myself one after the holidays.

Generic Retard

kiwifarms.net
I got a close family member an Aeropress coffee maker as a Christmas gift since everyone seems to love it (that and similar portable coffee makers are kind of expensive) and they're a big coffee aficionado, if they like it I may get myself one after the holidays.
It may take a few years until you find out, since there are so many ways to make coffee with an Aeropress. Mine is unused for now, since it is easier to optimize a set method, than to be able to mess with the entire brewing process imho :biggrin:

asr

kiwifarms.net
What is it about coffee beans that makes them better smelling and tasting than already ground coffee? I don't get the physics behind it.
The reason is mainly surface area and oxidization. Beans that have yet to be ground have less surface area, meaning the rate at which they oxidize is much lower in say open air. The same principle applies to taste. When you brew coffee you're really extracting oraganic compounds such as acids(over 16), aromatics, etc, all of which are in equalibirum with the water and the minerals in said water. Roast also plays a factor as does fresheness because those beans over time release Carbon Dioxide as they come into contact with the air and react. Ultimately this is more of a chemistry thing than a physics, which makes sense as physics is gay and chemistry is the one true science.

asr

kiwifarms.net
It may take a few years until you find out, since there are so many ways to make coffee with an Aeropress. Mine is unused for now, since it is easier to optimize a set method, than to be able to mess with the entire brewing process imho :biggrin:
Aeropress is good for a quick and dirty, and allows you make a fairly diverse range of drinks as compared to say a pour over. Being able to fuck with all those variables is something pretty nifty though, it's what I first used to experiment and apply the shit I was learning onto coffee in real time.

asr

kiwifarms.net
Bought some beans to try out recently and figured out that the "nice" Zassenhaus grinder my mom gifted me, is actually a piece of shit with a bent crank or smth. (After cleaning I cranked the adjustment screw down tight to align the grinders, then after putting in all the screws i loosened it. The two halves still touch on one half of the crank rotation. That way I get "huge" chunks and turkish coffee dust at the same time ...)
So I bought myself an electric grinder and now I am drinking way too much coffee until I have dialed in the correct grind for my hipster medium-light roast coffee (nice taste but hard to get the coffee extracted nicely, mine is still too acidic).

On another note: Fuck Lavazza, worst coffee I ever had. I wanted to try the Crema Classico in my Bialetti and the only taste I got was hollow and bitter, not even a hint of body in the entire bag (smell was amazing though). Even the pre-ground "espresso"/moka coffee from Lavazza is shit. Segafredo all the way for supermarket coffee.

Afterthought: Milk in paper-filtered coffee is just evil, it tastes disgusting imho. Funnily enough it tastes alright in coffee brewed through metal mesh or portafilters.
How do you brew your coffee and what grinder did you get? if you don't mind my sperging

Generic Retard

kiwifarms.net
How do you brew your coffee and what grinder did you get? if you don't mind my sperging
I wanted to start off with a Graef CM800, but I always read mixed opinions about it "but it's enough to make espresso" was the tl;dr.
But the problems with dialing it in and re-tuning it (probably a little play in the mechanics and more of a problem for espresso tbh) made me look for an alternative, so I bought a Sage grinder (more expensive but I can grind timed portions and multiples of those).

For now, I am mostly making filter coffee in my V60. At the moment I have some lighter roast, but if I can't make it taste "fuller" than it does now, I will probably go back to medium or even darker roasts because I like coffee richbodied.

I had a nice darker roast (not very though) before this, and when I reduced water temperature to about 85C° it tasted really nice without much bitterness at all.

FierceBrosnan

Father of Birds, Lord of Parrots, Coffee drinker.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like my coffee like my women, freeze dried, ground up, and stuffed in a can.
Alternatively hot, black, and easy.

Seriously though I like it with a little cream and sugar nothing too fancy, although flavored creamers are a nice after work treat.

Generic Retard

kiwifarms.net
PSA for everyone wanting to buy a Bialetti Brikka: Just don't.

The Romanian factory does not have it's shit together. Aluminium dust and shavings everywhere.
They changed the valve, which looks nice on the pictures and I thought it is springloaded, but it's just a rubber sleeve to restrict flow and build pressure.

It looks and feels to be the same rubber as the large seal (which is I think natural rubber).

And since Bialetti is shit, they don't sell any other parts except the main seal + sieve or the coffee basket.
This worked for decades since those are really the only spares you need for the Moka Express, but for the Brikka this is just ridiculous.

My old Brikka has a silicone plug in the valve (also no spares sold), which will probably never break but looks like ass after 2-3 years of use.
Even with cleaning the discoloration from the coffee stays.

Not sure where the stainless steel moka pots are made, but other stainless stuff from Bialetti is made in India and not good as well.

Seriously considering the Ikea moka pots now...
(Or just dumping the money saved into a proper machine)

plgfarts

6 out of 9 doctors had sex with your mom.
kiwifarms.net
Just got ~10" of snow last night. I think today I'll break out the press. I usually use my drip daily, the baseline Ninja coffee maker.

If someone could recommend a good pour over, that'd be most appreciated.

Hellspawn

Feeling depressed, want to shitpost.
kiwifarms.net
I'm a huge sucker for all things gween tea: sencha, matcha, houjicha, steeped or latte. They have this cooling effect inside me.

Wait, this is a coffee thread.

I prefer my coffee cold, unsweetened, and not acidic. I'm partial to fruity and floral notes. Cold brew is perfect for me. It's also quite simple and practical to do at home. I don't have the funds, space, nor drinking frequency to justify getting one of those professional coffee machines.

Last edited: