Coffee - gween tea

kcbbq

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
kiwifarms.net
People thinking you need to add sugar to coffee is the first mistake. There shouldn't be anything sweet you need to counteract. Buy fresher/better beans.
Some coffees are naturally sweet - in the coffee sense, not the sugar sense, technical coffee language has a purpose similar to wine language. It has as much use for Starbucks customers as wine words have any meaning to cat lady wine aunts. Nothing in the coffee sweet-bittersweet-bitter indicates what a normal person would really call bitter.

If your coffee is bitter like that it's either burnt or badly handled after roasting, or both. Or it's completely unroasted, but I think anyone would notice that. If none of that is the case and you still think the coffee needs to be covered up with whipped cream, chocolate, and caramel to be drinkable find coffee from a different region or don't drink the stuff. Get something from Africa instead of South/Central America and Asia. Plus, then you can sniff your farts over how much Black Lives Matter (tm) when you tell your hipster friends how up-and-coming Rwanda is and how much you care.

Slimy Time

Muscle Bound Monster
kiwifarms.net
Salt has been known to cut through bitterness, that's why there are these fancy chocolate bars and desserts of dark chocolate and seasalt. With coffee? I'm not sure that going to work, different type of bitterness and you are drinking it, not eating it.
I hate tea, but when I lived in the Republic of Tuva, the Mongols there served tea with milk and salt. It was the only tea I've ever enjoyed. I can see how salted coffee would be good. Even better, put a little salted butter in there.
Thats a drink that dates back to the Mongol Empire along with Airag. I think they use a very specific type of loose tea leaf for that. Always been interested in eating real Mongolian food, really filling and energy boosting from what I have seen

Reactions: Ciscoipphone

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ugh, I kind of wanted the writer of this shit to be Jewish so I could make a Friday Night Dinner reference.

The Real SVP

kiwifarms.net
I think they use a very specific type of loose tea leaf for that.
Nah, they use tea bricks. That's compressed left overs, and the cheapest kind of tea you can get in asia. You can probably get some for ten times of what it is worth if you search ebay for "tea brick"or ask at your local tea store.

• Informative
Reactions: Slimy Time

Maggots on a Train v2

new and improved account
kiwifarms.net
I tried it this morning. I think it did actually work. Maybe I added too much salt, I could definitely tell it was there. The flavor of the coffee really came through, though.

Troonos

Regrettable Cake Farts
kiwifarms.net
Salt has been known to cut through bitterness, that's why there are these fancy chocolate bars and desserts of dark chocolate and seasalt. With coffee? I'm not sure that going to work, different type of bitterness and you are drinking it, not eating it.

Thats a drink that dates back to the Mongol Empire along with Airag. I think they use a very specific type of loose tea leaf for that. Always been interested in eating real Mongolian food, really filling and energy boosting from what I have seen
Nah, dude. Descendants of the Mongols like to put offal in their dishes, and they never wash it, so it tastes like literal shit.

The Real SVP

kiwifarms.net
Nah, dude. Descendants of the Mongols like to put offal in their dishes, and they never wash it, so it tastes like butter.
Fixed that for you. Everything these people cook tastes like beef tallow or like butter. Their women taste like butter, too.

Cardenio

Calarts Graduate
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Cardenio Spergs About Espresso and Coffee in General
I love Coffee, it is the beverage I always find to be delicious at any time of day. Goes with any meal. For a few years now my coffee gear has been extravagant but far from budget breaking. A $200 Breville Coffee Grinder and a 8-Cup Chemex. But I've always dreamed of having an Espresso Machine because come on Espresso is without question the high end of the beverage. It requires a fancy machine and a fancy preparation ritual. Earlier this week Amazon ran a sale on the most basic Breville the "Duo Temp Pro." Based on my analysis it has essentially the same mechanical parts as all their machines <$1000 machines but lacks the fancy bells and whistles of a built in grinder or a pressure gauge. Now that I've made several days worth of espresso I feel I have adequate thoughts on it.

Do not go into espresso if you're not willing to spend at least $600 on it.
To some people $600 is a lot of money, especially when you can make standard good tasting coffee at home with a $40 Drip Coffee Machine. Despite major improvements in design and thus cost this is still a luxury item. What you need to make good Espresso is a machine like mine or something like the "Gaggia Classic Pro" ($450 new) alongside a decent electric Burr Grinder which costs $200 minimum. Sure you could cut costs and electricity down by getting a hand burr grinder but spinning your hand like a mad man to make finely grinded coffee is a giant pain in the ass to me. You could also perhaps just buy pre fine grind Medium Roasted Beans but I strongly advocate you don't because keeping your coffee beans whole allows your coffee to stay fresh for far longer. Also worth noting you have to buy water filters and descaling solution, but that's like $30 to $40 for a year's supply so I don't think that's a deal breaker.

Do not go into espresso if you want a simplistic preparation ritual.
For me to make espresso requires a relatively simple but still timely process. Have to turn on the Espresso Machine, let it heat up. Run the machine once so that the portafilter (what holds the coffee grinds) gets hot and any residue old water gets cleaned out. Then grind some fine coffee, put it into the portafilter. Tamp down the coffee, make sure it's leveled and not overfilled. Then put the portafilter into the espresso machine and start it up, then when the coffee has poured out for 25-30 seconds stop the machine and then drink my espresso. Then I gotta empty the portafilter and run a cycle thru to clean it. Then you can turn it off.

Christ typing all that out really makes me question the wisdom of my purchase, and it's all for a small condensed cup of coffee that you have to drink in minutes. And I haven't even gotten into the art of steamed milk/lattes which isn't hard by any means but isn't fool proof. The point is this is a lot more complicated than just heating up some water, putting coffee grinds into my Chemex, and then dumping some 100 Celsius hot water into it. If you want Espresso at home you gotta love playing Barista. You gotta give a shit about cleaning and maintaining your machine. Otherwise give up or be willing to a lot more money I've spent overall on some fancy high tech fully automated machine like what Jura makes. Personally I went with Breville because it seems to me that their machines are mechanically the simplest and more likely to last long term.

Is it worth it?
I can have a Latte with my morning eggs. Before I just did Eggs and Coffee. It really depends how much you value a fancy drink. For most I'd probably say you're better off just staying with the diner and/or Starbucks. Personally I think it's a worthwhile investment. Before spending a lot of money I'd recommend trying a Moka Pot first. Just don't waste your money and buy a cheap shitty Espresso Machine. And I for one abhor that "Nespresso" stuff because the espresso I've had from that at friends was subpar and you're paying a $1 for each shot of coffee which is absurdly expensive.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox

Disgruntled Pupper

Thuuder only happens wlen its raisinl
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a french press, a k-cup, and a regular coffee maker, but honestly my favorite way to make coffee is to sprinkle a little more than 1/3 cup into a filter, twist the top, carefully place it in the hot water with the top resting on the lip of the cup, and let it seep for 3-5 minutes like a tea bag.

When I was on Big Island I became a Kona coffee fiend, but the stuff they sell on the mainland just isn't as good, I think they either cut it with other types or leaving the Hawaiian climate changes the flavor. Most of the time it's Gevalia bold for me.

Archeops

Whispering seeds of doubt into the ears of troons
kiwifarms.net
A friend of mine just gifted me a pound of Death Wish Coffee for some ungodly reason. I‘be been known to drink massive amounts of coffee to no ill effect but this is pushing it.
I have a french press, a k-cup, and a regular coffee maker, but honestly my favorite way to make coffee is to sprinkle a little more than 1/3 cup into a filter, twist the top, carefully place it in the hot water with the top resting on the lip of the cup, and let it seep for 3-5 minutes like a tea bag.

When I was on Big Island I became a Kona coffee fiend, but the stuff they sell on the mainland just isn't as good, I think they either cut it with other types or leaving the Hawaiian climate changes the flavor. Most of the time it's Gevalia bold for me.
If it‘s not EXPLICITLY sold as being 100% Hawaiian coffee then it’s more than likely the the former, on it’s own Kona coffee is more expensive so blending it with beans from other regions helps.

As for it leaving the affecting the flavor I kind of doubt that’s the case, remember that almost all coffee is shipped to and from different parts of the world in an unroasted state.

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
I think they either cut it with other types or leaving the Hawaiian climate changes the flavor.
Coffee tastes worse outside of a tropical paradise, more news at 11...

have you guys never been to a wine region for a Vacation? even the cheapest Wine there tastes good, but if you bring it back home, its total shit.
Its the state of mind you have that makes it taste good...

For Kona Coffee, its high quality stuff but its not different from other high quality stuff... you can get Coffee made from oversized beans from every region and its always good.

Damien Thorne

kiwifarms.net
I normally just go for Dunkin Donuts drip coffee black.

Also, Pulp Fiction has the best coffee drinking scene in all of cinema’s history.

Tags
None