Cold dinners -

Do any of you "cook" (prepare) cold dinners?

I got to thinking about this randomly, and the thing is, I'm really accustomed to hot meals. Dinner is always hot and I prefer for my lunch to be hot. But, there have to be meals which are intended to be eaten cold.

beautiful person

kiwifarms.net
I've done cold pasta salads in the summer. You still have to boil the pasta to cook it, but then you chill it in the fridge and add dressing and stuff.

Some soups are supposed to be eaten cold, like gazpacho.

Also, I had this weird Chinese dish once at a restaurant that was literally cold pigs' ears marinated in a chili sauce.

Edit: Though, originally I came into this thread to mention eating leftovers like spaghetti or pizza cold. Because that shit is dank.

soft breathing

god has left the building a long time ago.
kiwifarms.net
Cold rice/quinoa/noodle/potato salad is quite nice, really. You can pre-make that stuff and just take it to work with you. Or make a batch and eat it for the next days to save time preparing food.

Just be careful with noodle salad, the noodles tend to soak up the sauce/dressing and the whole thing gets soggy and disgusting in less than a day. I never had that problem with rice/quinoa.

Eraserhead

Twitch Thot Police's Number One Suspect
kiwifarms.net
Cold leftovers, Sandwich, or Salad but other than that it’s mostly hot food for me even if it’s fast food I prefer it hot......Well outside of the occasional depression Whopper where I eat some of it, pass out, and then wake up to a now marinated in its juices Whopper.

MembersSchoolPizza

Sworn Brother of the Cult of Browning
kiwifarms.net
Occasionally. I like "salad" sandwiches... Egg, tuna, balogna, beef, etc. I also like pasta salad, antipasto salad, things of that nature. Or just a meat, cheese, and fruit spread.

Other than that, not really - I mean, I'll grab some leftovers and stick 'em in my gob, or make a lunchmeat sandwich or something, but those aren't "cooking", just eating stuff as it comes out of the fridge, for the most part.

Reactions: HIVidaBoheme

Gus

Interlocutor
kiwifarms.net
The latter half of these do have to be cooked first, but something I like to do is to get enough bell peppers, snow peas, fish, and sweet potatoes to keep cool for a week or so.

After I'm done baking the fish and potatoes, I'll have one hot meal, throw them on some plates, then stick it in the fridge. I hate what the microwave does to my food, so I just go after some of it with a knife every now and again and pick at it cold. It helps me to keep healthy if I'm feeling like death for a week or three, or if I'm just too busy to be arsed.

Harvey Danger

getting tired of this whole internet thing
kiwifarms.net
I'll sometimes do leftover grilled chicken cold, either chopped up on a salad or with handheld vegetables (carrots, celery, cucumbers) for dipping into Ranch/blue cheese dressing.

But mostly I want dinner to be hot, so having leftover cooked meats on hand gives you the option to re-heat them as well.

Tags
None