College Football - Ohio and Alabama compete for most insufferable

Cliff Booth

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
After Minnesota was unable to overcome an Ohio State University last night, we now have our first upset. Mack "GOAT" Brown's tenth ranked North Carolina Tarheels are about to lose to unranked Virginia Tech.

For bigger picture shit, the Big XII is going to actually have twelve schools at some point in the future by replacing The University of Texas and Oklahoma with BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF. Baylor stays relevant for another couple of years. Rape on, bears. Rape on.

Last edited:

whatever I feel like

Disney Diaper Size Fetish Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
Sick of the biased blue check MSM hyping NC football. Much thanks to our loyal friends at VPI for putting an early kibosh on it this year.

Also, Tulsa lost to UCDavis from FCS yesterday, so maybe that counts.

Goyaanisqatsi

The Clown World Ends With You
kiwifarms.net
The love for North Carolina didn't entirely make much sense either considering they lost most of what made their offense successful last year in their backfield plus Sam Howell kind of regressed compared to his freshman season and looks like the struggles continued today. I'll give him the benefit of doubt so far since while not mid 00s Bud Foster caliber, Virginia Tech's defense is probably the best it's been this decade.

I figured Tulsa would have experienced a drop in quality this year considering they lost their best player on the team but still thought it would be more competitive. UC-Davis' coach is Dan Hawkins though and he's built a pretty good program there since becoming their coach. Their QB looked fantastic and he could possibly put up Walter Payton Award numbers against Big Sky defenses.

Pretty good Week 1 already, to be honest. Ibrahim was extremely good against Ohio State and hopefully the injury he suffered isn't severe. As with Howell, seems like Tanner Morgan has regressed since two years ago. Stroud played well considering the weather conditions and had a really strong second half. Having an Olave should help get him more comfortable as the season goes on. Hated how much grabbing their secondary got away with, though.

UNLV had another embarrassing loss against a top tier FCS squad. Looks like South Dakota State is going to beat Colorado State. Mountain West is an absolute mess outside of Nevada, San Jose State, Boise State, and maybe Wyoming. Even then, Boise State had an epic meltdown against UCF.

Charlotte beat Duke behind a solid performance by their QB Reynolds. Mataeo Durant ate up Charlotte's defense though and I'm excited to see more of him in ACC play. I really like what Will Healy's doing; he did a miraculous job at Austin Peay and they're still paying dividends and he's starting to establish a football culture at Charlotte too. Got to think a big school is going to jump on him sooner than later though.

whatever I feel like

kiwifarms.net
I saw the UNLV vs EWU score too but didn't mention it because I thought the two schools were a lot closer in ability than UCD and Tulsa.

Anyways, about that re-alignment talk. Its sounding like (but could be bullshit) that the Big XII will take Houston, BYU, Cinci and UCF to get back up to 12 over the next three or so years. My opinion on that is that UCF and Cinci are great choices but the other two are significantly less so, especially BYU.

Cinci is great because it ticks almost all of the boxes you want, and it builds at least a little geographic interest with them and WVU both being in the upper Ohio valley. UCF has been good enough, long enough, that they are also a good on the field choice and the school is surprisingly big and in a populous area. But they are alone for the Big XII in this area, the closest schools will be WVU and Houston, both day long trips away. The Big XII should really just bite the bullet and take USF with them, instead of one of the two "iffy" schools.

As for Houston, their inclusion rights a moral wrong that occurred thirty years ago, but thats it. With Texas, Oklahoma and A&M all gone to the SEC there's no hiding it, Texas (and Oklahoma) are SEC states now and adding the University of Houston does nothing to change that. And then BYU is even worse. They are an okay football school, in a state that loves them more than Utah, but they are going to be as alone as WVU currently is and UCF will be.

We're going to see a conference that stretches from Utah to West Virginia to Florida, but only dominates WV and Kansas. There's no hiding it, they are equivalent to the old Big East, at best. Its a conference of misfit toys which is going to have a very hard time getting into anything come play-off time. There's not really much that can be done to fix it, but I think their lack of geographic cohesion is going to leave them without much identity. Oh well.

Cliff Booth

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If Sarkesian doesn't sub out Card on the next possession, I'm sending back my fucking diploma.

Edit: Arkansas is kicking our shit in. Fuck this shit. How hard is it to hire football coaches who want to work in ATX? This is ridiculous. Insidious shit like this goes well beyond the athletic department and flows right into fucking Belmont. If you can't succeed with Charlie Strong, Tom Herman, or Steve Sarkisian, maybe the problem is the regents. What the fuck do I know though I'm only an alum.

Really crazy how the offense flows with Casey Thompson. Too bad we spotted hog sooie two more fucking touchdowns before Sark made the change.

Last edited:

Cliff Booth

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Texas is going to learn quickly that Sark is a fucking hack of a coach.
Yeah I'm still in a "wait and see" mode. Sark actually hired a staff of competent assistants unlike Herman and Strong who basically treated their staffing as a glorified jobs program for their friends.

Offensive line is a big issue and compounding that, we only have two 2022 commits in that position group, neither of whom would hold a commitable offer at a school like Bama or Ohio State. Quarterback needs to be sorted out ASAP. Card obviously isn't ready for prime time, so we should roll with Casey Thompson next week against Rice. All of my eggs are in the Arch Manning basket at this point, but he's 2023, so this shit needs to be figured out in the interim going off of the ridiculous assumption that Arch wants to spend 3 years in Austin. The university sells itself, but the dogshit football program doesn't help when it comes to recruiting.

Last edited:

Goyaanisqatsi

kiwifarms.net
@Cliff Booth Well, you got your wish and Thompson gets the start against Rice. I'm sure they'll still roll Card out in the second half but it's certainly a step in the right direction for conference play

Also, USC finally swung the axe on Clay Helton and fired him, which was extremely overdue. Favorite to replace him seems to be Luke Fickell and I think that's the most realistic bet. There's always an outside shot at Bob Stoops or even Urban Meyer but I doubt it. Another long shot is Jim Harbaugh, depending on his future with Michigan after this year. Might seem like a step back but he turned Stanford into a perennially competitive team with a lot less on hand.

*Alabama looks like they haven't lost a step and they get their first taste of SEC football this weekend but I don't really see much of a challenge for them this year outside of a possible game with UGA in the SEC Championship.

*UGA gets JT Daniels back as they start their SEC campaign against the Gamecocks. Defense could have another huge game if Zeb Noland is still the QB they're facing.

*Oregon gets a gimme against Stony Brook after their monumental victory over Ohio State. I'd still like to see Anthony Brown get quite a few reps in because he's got to get sharper if Oregon wants to run the table.

*Iowa gets one of my favorite teams of the MAC this year, Kent State. Iowa's defense might be the best in the country currently, which is unsurprising, and Kent State is absolutely dreadful against the run, so we might be seeing another 30 to 40+ margin of victory for the Hawkeyes.

*Cincinnati gets their first taste of Power 5 football, albeit against the underachieving Indiana Hoosiers, whose suffering from the lack of Kane Wommack on defensive playcalling and Penix not looking nearly as electric as he was last season before his injury. Could be a slugfest or Ridder could put on an absolute gem.

*Clemson opens up ACC play against Georgia Tech. Uiagalelei has yet to find form but this is looking like the perfect game for him to find it as the Yellow Jackets secondary is dreadful. Georgia Tech has an absolute dynamo in Jamyr Gibbs but they refuse to run the offense through him but improved QB play by second stringer Jordan Yates has kind of shadowed that. Clemson's defense should shut them down completely unless GT finds a way for Gibbs to get 30 touches through creative run plays and the pass. Still don't see them winning, regardless.

*Texas A&M returns from their scare against Colorado against New Mexico. Calzada should look far more comfortable and their run game should look more effective. Have to watch out for the Kentucky transfer QB Terry Wilson, whose looked phenomenal against lesser defenses.

*Ohio State will look to bounce back after their loss against an extremely inconsistent looking Tulsa. Ohio State's defense has been rather pedestrian so far so this should be the game where they can find their confidence. Stroud has looked pretty good outside of overthrown and high balls and a receiving corp that might be the best in the nation. Should put up 40 or 50 points imo.

*Notre Dame survived a scare against Toledo with a gritty performance by Jack Coan and they get in-state opponent Purdue this week. Notre Dame's secondary has been letting them down the first two weeks of the season and if they can't pressure Plummer, we might be seeing another close game.

Game of the Week: A top 25 match-up between Penn State and Auburn

Other Notable Matches:
Arizona State* @ BYU
Virginia Tech* @ West Virginia
Fresno State @ UCLA*
Michigan State* @ Miami
Nevada* @ Kansas State
Virginia @ North Carolina*
Tulane @ Ole Miss*
Oklahoma State @ Boise State*
Northern Illinois @ Michigan*
Coastal Carolina* @ Buffalo
Iowa State* @ UNLV
Georgia Southern @ Arkansas*
USC* @ Washington State
Rice @ Texas*
Western Michigan @ Pitt*
Old Dominion @ Liberty*

Also, for shits and gigs, here's my top three for Heisman so far and 20+ others who have put up at least one Heisman worthy performance so far or have the ceiling to do so in no particular order. If you dont see someone listed, I still think theres two weeks for someone to still make noise before I believe it's too late to make a run at player of the year:

Bryce Young- Alabama QB
Zach Charbonnet- UCLA RB
CJ Verdell- Oregon RB

Chris Olave- Ohio State WR
Spencer Rattler- Oklahoma QB
Blake Corum- Michigan RB
Will Rogers- Mississippi State QB
Desmond Ridder- Cincinnati QB
Malik Willis- Liberty QB
Matt Corral- Ole Miss QB
Jack Coan- Notre Dame QB
CJ Stroud- Ohio State QB
Dontario Drummond- Ole Miss WR
Brennan Anderson- Virginia QB
Carson Strong- Nevada QB
Sam Howell- UNC QB
Zay Flowers- Boston College WR
Phil Jurkovec- Boston College QB
Deuce Vaughn- Kansas State RB
Chris Rodriguez Jr- Kentucky RB
Brandon Thomas- Memphis RB
Nakobe Dean- Georgia LB
Chez Mellusi- Wisconsin RB
Taulia Tagovailoa- Maryland QB
Riley Moss/Matt Hankins- Iowa DB

Last edited:

whatever I feel like

kiwifarms.net
What a game PSU-Auburn is going to be, and here I am almost assuredly working OT the whole way through it.

Oh, and major league lols at Oregon having to go all the way to New York to find an FCS team to humiliate. Poor form, there.

Goyaanisqatsi

kiwifarms.net
Looks like Oregon didn't even have the confidence in themselves to beat Ohio State when they scheduled that.

Sucks last year's schedule was stripped bare because their FCS opponent was North Dakota State. NDSU looked terrible with Noland as their QB so it probably wouldn't have been as good as it looked on paper.
Seem to be doing better so far with Quincy Patterson, though. Hate how Virginia Tech couldn't find a way to use him more.

Cliff Booth

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@Cliff Booth Well, you got your wish and Thompson gets the start against Rice. I'm sure they'll still roll Card out in the second half but it's certainly a step in the right direction for conference play

Also, USC finally swung the axe on Clay Helton and fired him, which was extremely overdue. Favorite to replace him seems to be Luke Fickell and I think that's the most realistic bet. There's always an outside shot at Bob Stoops or even Urban Meyer but I doubt it. Another long shot is Jim Harbaugh, depending on his future with Michigan after this year. Might seem like a step back but he turned Stanford into a perennially competitive team with a lot less on hand.

*Alabama looks like they haven't lost a step and they get their first taste of SEC football this weekend but I don't really see much of a challenge for them this year outside of a possible game with UGA in the SEC Championship.

*UGA gets JT Daniels back as they start their SEC campaign against the Gamecocks. Defense could have another huge game if Zeb Noland is still the QB they're facing.

*Oregon gets a gimme against Stony Brook after their monumental victory over Ohio State. I'd still like to see Anthony Brown get quite a few reps in because he's got to get sharper if Oregon wants to run the table.

*Iowa gets one of my favorite teams of the MAC this year, Kent State. Iowa's defense might be the best in the country currently, which is unsurprising, and Kent State is absolutely dreadful against the run, so we might be seeing another 30 to 40+ margin of victory for the Hawkeyes.

*Cincinnati gets their first taste of Power 5 football, albeit against the underachieving Indiana Hoosiers, whose suffering from the lack of Kane Wommack on defensive playcalling and Penix not looking nearly as electric as he was last season before his injury. Could be a slugfest or Ridder could put on an absolute gem.

*Clemson opens up ACC play against Georgia Tech. Uiagalelei has yet to find form but this is looking like the perfect game for him to find it as the Yellow Jackets secondary is dreadful. Georgia Tech has an absolute dynamo in Jamyr Gibbs but they refuse to run the offense through him but improved QB play by second stringer Jordan Yates has kind of shadowed that. Clemson's defense should shut them down completely unless GT finds a way for Gibbs to get 30 touches through creative run plays and the pass. Still don't see them winning, regardless.

*Texas A&M returns from their scare against Colorado against New Mexico. Calzada should look far more comfortable and their run game should look more effective. Have to watch out for the Kentucky transfer QB Terry Wilson, whose looked phenomenal against lesser defenses.

*Ohio State will look to bounce back after their loss against an extremely inconsistent looking Tulsa. Ohio State's defense has been rather pedestrian so far so this should be the game where they can find their confidence. Stroud has looked pretty good outside of overthrown and high balls and a receiving corp that might be the best in the nation. Should put up 40 or 50 points imo.

*Notre Dame survived a scare against Toledo with a gritty performance by Jack Coan and they get in-state opponent Purdue this week. Notre Dame's secondary has been letting them down the first two weeks of the season and if they can't pressure Plummer, we might be seeing another close game.

Game of the Week: A top 25 match-up between Penn State and Auburn

Other Notable Matches:
Arizona State* @ BYU
Virginia Tech* @ West Virginia
Fresno State @ UCLA*
Michigan State* @ Miami
Nevada* @ Kansas State
Virginia @ North Carolina*
Tulane @ Ole Miss*
Oklahoma State @ Boise State*
Northern Illinois @ Michigan*
Coastal Carolina* @ Buffalo
Iowa State* @ UNLV
Georgia Southern @ Arkansas*
USC* @ Washington State
Rice @ Texas*
Western Michigan @ Pitt*
Old Dominion @ Liberty*

Also, for shits and gigs, here's my top three for Heisman so far and 20+ others who have put up at least one Heisman worthy performance so far or have the ceiling to do so in no particular order. If you dont see someone listed, I still think theres two weeks for someone to still make noise before I believe it's too late to make a run at player of the year:

Bryce Young- Alabama QB
Zach Charbonnet- UCLA RB
CJ Verdell- Oregon RB

Chris Olave- Ohio State WR
Spencer Rattler- Oklahoma QB
Blake Corum- Michigan RB
Will Rogers- Mississippi State QB
Desmond Ridder- Cincinnati QB
Malik Willis- Liberty QB
Matt Corral- Ole Miss QB
Jack Coan- Notre Dame QB
CJ Stroud- Ohio State QB
Dontario Drummond- Ole Miss WR
Brennan Anderson- Virginia QB
Carson Strong- Nevada QB
Sam Howell- UNC QB
Zay Flowers- Boston College WR
Phil Jurkovec- Boston College QB
Deuce Vaughn- Kansas State RB
Chris Rodriguez Jr- Kentucky RB
Brandon Thomas- Memphis RB
Nakobe Dean- Georgia LB
Chez Mellusi- Wisconsin RB
Taulia Tagovailoa- Maryland QB
Riley Moss/Matt Hankins- Iowa DB
Your list is distinctly lacking in Bijan Robinson.

Goyaanisqatsi

kiwifarms.net
I've had him on my preseason watchlist but after the topsy turvy day yesterday, he's found his way in my top 5. Helps to have consistency behind center.

I'm pretty excited for this season after yesterday. As of now, it can still be anyone's National Championship but could still just as easily settle back into the same old shit with Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State still making the Final Four. Looks like Georgia and Iowa's defense is going to take them deep so far and Oregon could end up running the table with how poor the Pac-12 is looking now. I was definitely expecting better results from UCLA and Arizona State. Cincinnati is a total dark horse too. Notre Dame is still up but they're looking pretty beatable and UCF, SMU, and Memphis arent exactly paragons of defense.

In other news, looks like the American Conference is targeting Boise State, San Diego State, Air Force, and UAB to join in place of Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston. I get why they're going after UAB but I'm a little surprised they're not interested in Louisiana Tech instead. You already have an in-state rival and their basketball program is better than UAB's as well. Put a nice little scare in SMU yesterday, as well.

USC's also made very clear their pecking order for the coaching vacancy.

1. Mario Cristobal
2. Eric Bieniemy
3. James Franklin
4. Matt Campbell
5. Luke Fickell

Still think Fickell is going to end up coach if they can't poach Cristobal from Oregon.

whatever I feel like

kiwifarms.net
If anyone expands out west it should be with Fresno State and San Diego State but that should have been the Big XII taking them instead of UCF and Houston. As is, if I were a western school I wouldn't join the AAC, same as how they decided not to last time. Any dreams of a P6 are dead now, AAC should just focus on being the best eastern conference they can be.

Goyaanisqatsi

kiwifarms.net
I'm a total traditionalist when it comes to my sports so I'm not too enthusiastic about the total disdain for geographical identity. I'd totally rather see Army in over Air Force and prefer to see teams like Appalachian State and Marshall get a shot in a bigger conference than what they're currently in, instead of this infatuation with expanding further west.

What's funny is that if this goes through, it'll be worse for teams like Boise and San Diego State as they wont increase their standing in the football hierarchy than where they're currently at.

While the Mountain West could remain just as good, if not better, if they can manage to talk teams like North Dakota State, Eastern Washington, and Montana to join the conference in their stead