Comedy, Novelty, and Parody songs: The Best, The Worst, and Your Favorites. NO WEIRD AL! - ...okay, fine, some Weird Al.

Mesh Gear Fox

Play the guitar on the MTV
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This thread wouldn't be complete without bringing GWAR to the party

And this gem from one of Dave Brockie's solo outings:

Reactions: Big Nasty

tehpope

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think comedy belongs in music, but it should come secondary. Other than Weird Al, I don't think there's any good comedy musician. The only memorable other than Weird Al, IMHO, is David Tanny, but that's mostly he's a lolcow. I've notice anyone who thinks Weird Al is their favorite artist are weridos in of themselves.

Musicians like Ween and Zappa are great because they're great musicians in the first place. And then they put some comedy in their music. IMHO, it doesn't work the other way around.

can't have a comedy thread without w e e n
I was gonna post the HVI song, but the funniest thing about w e e n now is that Gener looks like Deaners granddad. Drugs mang.

8777BB5

Keep Her Sexy and Straightforward
kiwifarms.net
I see nobody's brought up John Entwistle, best known for being the bass guitarist for The Who. Most people would probably post Boris the Spider or My wife but my personal favorite of his was ironically a demo for a song from Too Late the Hero. I give you Love is a Heart Attack (Demo Vesion)

A Humble Ewok

...and a future for Ewok children.
kiwifarms.net
I know a lot of people find Anal Cunt's gimmick of having over the top offensive song titles and lyrics tiring, but the whole act is justified by their Picnic of Love album, where they make the most painfully squeaky clean and unoffensive songs imaginable, which somehow is more obnoxious than their 50 second grindcore songs.

I also was laughing at stuff on Fuckin' A which was a parody of Motly Crue and inspired acts.

I'm not sure if these would be considered "comedy" or "novelty," but I don't see what else they could possibly be, especially with their music videos.

Like, the songs are shit, but the music videos are amazing and the shittiness of the songs reinforces the videos.

A parody of most rap songs
MC Vagina is amazing. Have you listened to his other songs?

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
I see that Bowser & Blue has already been mentioned but my favourite English-language comedy act from Montreal has got to be Radio Free Vestibule a.k.a. "The Vestibules", who did both sketches and songs, mostly of the absurdist variety.

Most of the videos accompanying these Vestibules songs are fanmade so don't hold the visuals against them.

TJ-Weber

Final Notice for Repo
kiwifarms.net
Most rap videos show off a rappers lavish lifestyle by spending lots of money having or renting lavish cars, girls, houses, etc.
Meet Lil Dickey, the jewish rapper, who made an entire music video for free (even the cameras were burrowed) about saving money:

Last edited:
I think comedy belongs in music, but it should come secondary. Other than Weird Al, I don't think there's any good comedy musician. The only memorable other than Weird Al, IMHO, is David Tanny, but that's mostly he's a lolcow. I've notice anyone who thinks Weird Al is their favorite artist are weridos in of themselves.

Musicians like I HAVE AUTISM PLEASE LAUGH AT ME and Zappa are great because they're great musicians in the first place. And then they put some comedy in their music. IMHO, it doesn't work the other way around.

I was gonna post the HVI song, but the funniest thing about w e e n now is that Gener looks like Deaners granddad. Drugs mang.
Ever listen to Da Vinci's Notebook?

They're not amazing or anything, but they're a comedy band that, in my opinion, is good.

TheGreatCitracett

Is bringing a gunn to school... BEWARE!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A couple joke ones that got mistaken for being real:

Pastor & Mrs. Jim Colerick - Rappin' For Jesus

Donnie Davies & Evening Service - The Bible Says

And here's one that was found on an old VHS tape and everyone thought was fake, until the bassist/singer was found and confirmed it was real and completely unironic.

Sonseed - Jesus is a Friend of Mine

Also, turns out he's a cool guy and a good sport, he did a bunch of guest appearances and even rereleased the Sonseed album.

Reactions: AnOminous

Chocolate Elvis

Whole lotta shakin', whole lotta shakin'
kiwifarms.net
1978 produced one of the most poignant, heart-wrenching break-up songs in British pop history.

You may know what it’s like to be sad, but you’ve never been so upset that you cried all the way to the chip shop. And with all good call-and-response songs, Jilted John’s ex-girlfriend and Gordon (the aforementioned moron) released a song of their own not too long after.

And whilst I’m here, I may as well put up some Frank Sidebottom because just about any thing he committed to tape or vinyl was amazing.

You know it was. It really was.

Tags
None