Comicsgate Hangers-On and Drama Whores - A thread about some guy who's mad about Star Wars and the neckbeards obsessively stalking him

• Images may fail sporadically. I have taken measures to keep the site working under high load at the expense of static content. The new server is ETA 7~10 days.

Ivan Shatov

Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
kiwifarms.net
I'm extremely late and gay to this thread, especially in responding to your thesis. After reading this purely autistic fanfic the only thought and impression I'm left with is that "the thing we know as Ivan Shatov" is the one we know as Ro Kabir Kumar (Pall).

Throughout your insane ramblings you constantly refer to a "we" observing Mike S Miller and back-channel DM's discussing him, your obviously not referring to Kiwi's since none of them would be really interested in observing or discussing Mike outside of the main CG thread especially not watching his boring 8hr live-streams. I bet Warcampaign would however to keep an eye on him, so my theory is your "we" who is monitoring him is WC.

Then there's your language, there's almost a poetry to it and despite being a colossal faggot, Ro Kabir is poetic when his not typing in ALL CAPS like a complete and utter sperg. Panboy, Tyler and the rest are to simple minded to speak so well and imaginatively, Ro is much better at public speaking and has a fairly extensive vocabulary, if you are WC my money is on Ro.

Your account was created June 2019, so your relatively new that was not to long after @FROG made his account on the farms. Your profile is also set to limited so only specific people can view it, almost like you've got something to hide or are paranoid about something.

The dead giveaway however is the text below your avatar;

View attachment 1202531

Its latin:

"Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam"

Roughly translated as "Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed." A famous phrase that originates from debates held in the Roman Senate, prior to the Third Punic War, between Rome and Carthage. Carthage obviously being the historical enemy of Rome. The phrase was used by Cato the Censor, as the conclusion of his speeches in order to push for war.

Now who else do we know of having a history of LARPing online as Romans, constantly pushing for war?

Of course this is all mere speculation and I have no definitive proof, but you did ask for peoples thoughts and impressions. So I gave mine, even if it is a few weeks late.
Carthage is a stand-in for China. Historically, the quote is known as the original Thucydides Trap.

Good boy looking that up on Wikipedia, you did a good job with cut and paste. Did you have to use a mouse or did you do all that with your own thumb? Either way, you sound smart, have a cookie.

I've given up talking about Blacklist Universe videos here on the Farms, there's an instinct over evidence crowd in this forum that doesn't want to be convinced. Not sure what more could be said to get anyone to seriously consider the evidence. Us BLU Watchers moved the discussion over to Whatsapp, I'll check back in from time to time with what we learn there.

The last thing to leave everyone with: anyone notice this thing called Mike S. Miller split off into multiple YouTube channels once we started discussing his identity? Happened a couple weeks after the last post. One channel where the content is focused on religion, the other where the content is focused on (empty) commercial ventures. And the religion channel is 'Unapologetic' - which seemed to me like a tell.

Something about the language bothered us, so we decided to perform stylometric analysis of transcripts from the videos using R-stylo and python. To do this, we created a corpus of transcripts using 50 BLU videos along with 50 others from YBZ, Doug Tenapel, TUG and YF. All transcripts are single-speaker (no interviews), under 2 hours in length, and everything is in English. Here's a short run down of the data in the corpus. For reference, word tokens are unique combinations of words that appear often and in close proximity.

1585197736114.png

So this dataset is intended to be used a certain way. We work with the assumption that spontaneous speech patterns should map back directly to the speaker and that certain phrases that appear in a lot of videos - like "Comicsgate Creators" - are present with every author and won't unduly influence the result set. This approach has limited applicability with video transcripts, it doesn't pick up on non-verbal cues and mistranslations are a thing. Despite those defects, it's possible to get good indicators that suggest relationships.

With that in mind, we took the transcript from a recent Unapologetic Mike video and compared it with the corpus. A copy of the transcript is attached, you can see the actual language used. Using the full transcript, we got these results:

1585199452873.png

Cred means credibility, how certain we are that this is the same author. Conf means confidence, how confident are we with the score. This initial pass is pretty raw, while the UM transcript does map to Blacklist Universe - it's also a close match for Yellow Flash. More importantly, stylo doesn't have a lot of confidence in its top choice. After some trial and error, we massaged the data, taking out the first 5 minutes of the UM transcript to get these results.

1585200021172.png

When we remove the first 5 minutes of the UM video, the transcript statistically identifies as being authored by Doug Tenapel. Blacklist Universe is a close second. Both with a high degree of confidence. Remember, we're looking at word clustering, not content length, frequency or repetition. This means there are identifiable patterns of speech being repeated in the UM video that maps directly back to both authors, words and phrases they repeat all the time.

We can refine the script to look at lexical markers and I'm certain this will identify more closely with the BLU transcripts. However, even with that, the BLU Watcher group does believe this analysis is significant and merits additional scrutiny. We're still trying to answer the question what we are looking at and what additional tools can be brought to bear in search of an explanation.

We've ruled out the con-man hypothesis, which I never accepted in the first place. There's too much organization to the efforts of the person we're seeing in the videos, I don't believe this is just some guy running fake crowdfunding campaigns to steal people's money. He puts in too much effort for too little return, there's some non-monetary purpose behind the actions we see that can't easily be explained by ego or reputation.

I find the performance art hypothesis less compelling given the evidence of direct coordination between Doug and the thing we call Mike S. Miller. It's not just that they are repeating the same phrases often enough to achieve statistical relevancy, it's that no one else is. The tight correlation between BLU and Tennapel would be easier to explain if they were occasionally hitting on topics everyone else is talking about and we would see that in the results above. Stylometric analysis reveals they are basically developing a language internal to their videos that's well-enough defined to suggest that (in terms of the words used) common authorship exists.

So where does that leave us? I have my theories but there's still too many unknowns. The BLM Watcher group is expanding the size of the corpus and developing blind / null tests to refine these results. We're doing some interesting things with NLP and stillframe object identification that should allow us to identify common themes and maybe automatic identification of the people appearing in the videos. We're starting to think about data visualization and how to best represent what's going on here, we're thinking there needs to be a timeline of topics that demonstrates when the person in the videos is talking about what, and how often.

All I really know is there are very good reasons to believe the thing we call Mike S. Miller is not an actual person, more like a synthetic personality broadcasting on YouTube for some arcane purpose. I want to know for sure what I'm looking at and hope better tools and data can reveal the truth.

Attachments

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
hasn’t it already been shown in multiple campaigns that issue 2’s do not sell as much as the first issue?
If you can use paypig behavior to justify "success", then I think demanding a growth in brand via people to be fair. Hell, you should be able to do better given that pretty much every other company is dead now *insert crabrave.mp4*, and you have far less competition.

Like, sure, subsequent issues do tend to drop, but if you have an open field wrought by idiocy and a growth in fans, logically it should counter said trend. Especially since said trend is at least a good deal caused by shitty artists and writers writing shitty books with a fake and gay #1 designed to exploit tards who collect those for value.

• Winner
Reactions: TheLaughingMan

Smug Freiza

Muh 6 gorrillion Namekians is Saiyan propaganda.
kiwifarms.net
Carthage is a stand-in for China. Historically, the quote is known as the original Thucydides Trap.

Good boy looking that up on Wikipedia, you did a good job with cut and paste. Did you have to use a mouse or did you do all that with your own thumb? Either way, you sound smart, have a cookie.

I've given up talking about Blacklist Universe videos here on the Farms, there's an instinct over evidence crowd in this forum that doesn't want to be convinced. Not sure what more could be said to get anyone to seriously consider the evidence. Us BLU Watchers moved the discussion over to Whatsapp, I'll check back in from time to time with what we learn there.

The last thing to leave everyone with: anyone notice this thing called Mike S. Miller split off into multiple YouTube channels once we started discussing his identity? Happened a couple weeks after the last post. One channel where the content is focused on religion, the other where the content is focused on (empty) commercial ventures. And the religion channel is 'Unapologetic' - which seemed to me like a tell.

Something about the language bothered us, so we decided to perform stylometric analysis of transcripts from the videos using R-stylo and python. To do this, we created a corpus of transcripts using 50 BLU videos along with 50 others from YBZ, Doug Tenapel, TUG and YF. All transcripts are single-speaker (no interviews), under 2 hours in length, and everything is in English. Here's a short run down of the data in the corpus. For reference, word tokens are unique combinations of words that appear often and in close proximity.

View attachment 1203402

So this dataset is intended to be used a certain way. We work with the assumption that spontaneous speech patterns should map back directly to the speaker and that certain phrases that appear in a lot of videos - like "Comicsgate Creators" - are present with every author and won't unduly influence the result set. This approach has limited applicability with video transcripts, it doesn't pick up on non-verbal cues and mistranslations are a thing. Despite those defects, it's possible to get good indicators that suggest relationships.

With that in mind, we took the transcript from a recent Unapologetic Mike video and compared it with the corpus. A copy of the transcript is attached, you can see the actual language used. Using the full transcript, we got these results:

View attachment 1203441

Cred means credibility, how certain we are that this is the same author. Conf means confidence, how confident are we with the score. This initial pass is pretty raw, while the UM transcript does map to Blacklist Universe - it's also a close match for Yellow Flash. More importantly, stylo doesn't have a lot of confidence in its top choice. After some trial and error, we massaged the data, taking out the first 5 minutes of the UM transcript to get these results.

View attachment 1203454

When we remove the first 5 minutes of the UM video, the transcript statistically identifies as being authored by Doug Tenapel. Blacklist Universe is a close second. Both with a high degree of confidence. Remember, we're looking at word clustering, not content length, frequency or repetition. This means there are identifiable patterns of speech being repeated in the UM video that maps directly back to both authors, words and phrases they repeat all the time.

We can refine the script to look at lexical markers and I'm certain this will identify more closely with the BLU transcripts. However, even with that, the BLU Watcher group does believe this analysis is significant and merits additional scrutiny. We're still trying to answer the question what we are looking at and what additional tools can be brought to bear in search of an explanation.

We've ruled out the con-man hypothesis, which I never accepted in the first place. There's too much organization to the efforts of the person we're seeing in the videos, I don't believe this is just some guy running fake crowdfunding campaigns to steal people's money. He puts in too much effort for too little return, there's some non-monetary purpose behind the actions we see that can't easily be explained by ego or reputation.

I find the performance art hypothesis less compelling given the evidence of direct coordination between Doug and the thing we call Mike S. Miller. It's not just that they are repeating the same phrases often enough to achieve statistical relevancy, it's that no one else is. The tight correlation between BLU and Tennapel would be easier to explain if they were occasionally hitting on topics everyone else is talking about and we would see that in the results above. Stylometric analysis reveals they are basically developing a language internal to their videos that's well-enough defined to suggest that (in terms of the words used) common authorship exists.

So where does that leave us? I have my theories but there's still too many unknowns. The BLM Watcher group is expanding the size of the corpus and developing blind / null tests to refine these results. We're doing some interesting things with NLP and stillframe object identification that should allow us to identify common themes and maybe automatic identification of the people appearing in the videos. We're starting to think about data visualization and how to best represent what's going on here, we're thinking there needs to be a timeline of topics that demonstrates when the person in the videos is talking about what, and how often.

All I really know is there are very good reasons to believe the thing we call Mike S. Miller is not an actual person, more like a synthetic personality broadcasting on YouTube for some arcane purpose. I want to know for sure what I'm looking at and hope better tools and data can reveal the truth.
Good luck with your investigation, I guess.

Keep us posted. :semperfidelis:

FROG

Ethan van Sciver
kiwifarms.net
It's still funding, what's it on track?

I agree. Your little spat hurt both of you. Yet you've both shown your audience will pay for memorabilia.
That's just your assessment of what's going on with Doug's failure. I disagree.

It's his second issue. You're looking at his devoted audience now, people who are willing to pay $25 TWICE. Some people got the first issue and that was enough, or they didn't like it.

The worst thing is that EARTHWORM JIM's colossal success didn't carry over AT ALL to BIGFOOT BILL 2. Not a bit. That suggests that it's EWJ that's popular, not Doug. Worrisome. We'll see how that sequel does.

CYBERFROG: REKT PLANET is incredibly interesting. Launched during the Pandemic, it's success is astonishing. At a time when people are tightening their spending, you're looking at a return fandom that went from paying $25 to a large percentage agreeing to pay $200 instead, in order to not miss out on anything.

This campaign reached $400,000 in the first week of funding, which is four times as enthusiastic as CYBERFROG BLOODHONEY's funding.

The EXECUTIVE HONEYCOMB BOX removes the likelihood of the same backer contributing multiple times, as was probable during BLOODHONEY. For $200, you get everything, no need to back a second or third time. So while we may see a superficial decrease in the number of backers, the money will definitely surpass the original.

And again, all of this is happening while people aren't working, and the comic book industry is collapsing. It just goes to show that people will spend their money for good entertainment and fun collectibles during tough times.

If you don't call them anti-Christian bigots, or tell them they're going to hell, or call them Nazis, that is. The future is bright!

Attachments

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net

It's his second issue. You're looking at his devoted audience now, people who are willing to pay $25 TWICE. Some people got the first issue and that was enough, or they didn't like it.
This is as dumb as the shit people say when trying to portray your own wildly successful crowdfunding campaigns as failures. It's ridiculous. Almost any other artist would dream of such "failure."

TrunksFromDragonballGT

Faggotchu
kiwifarms.net

The worst thing is that EARTHWORM JIM's colossal success didn't carry over AT ALL to BIGFOOT BILL 2. Not a bit. That suggests that it's EWJ that's popular, not Doug. Worrisome. We'll see how that sequel does.

CYBERFROG: REKT PLANET is incredibly interesting. Launched during the Pandemic, it's success is astonishing. At a time when people are tightening their spending, you're looking at a return fandom that went from paying $25 to a large percentage agreeing to pay $200 instead, in order to not miss out on anything.

This campaign reached $400,000 in the first week of funding, which is four times as enthusiastic as CYBERFROG BLOODHONEY's funding.

The EXECUTIVE HONEYCOMB BOX removes the likelihood of the same backer contributing multiple times, as was probable during BLOODHONEY. For $200, you get everything, no need to back a second or third time. So while we may see a superficial decrease in the number of backers, the money will definitely surpass the original.

And again, all of this is happening while people aren't working, and the comic book industry is collapsing. It just goes to show that people will spend their money for good entertainment and fun collectibles during tough times.

If you don't call them anti-Christian bigots, or tell them they're going to hell, or call them Nazis, that is. The future is bright!
i mean compared to his other campaigns, Bigfoot Bill 2 is underperforming big time. But Doug did make 100,000+ dollars in a span of 30 days so I’d hardly call that a failiure, but rather as a sign that his popularity has declined significantly. That and the fact that Bigfoot Bill is nowhere near as popular as EWJ

• Agree
Reactions: Adamska

FROG

Ethan van Sciver
kiwifarms.net
This is as dumb as the shit people say when trying to portray your own wildly successful crowdfunding campaigns as failures. It's ridiculous. Almost any other artist would dream of such "failure."
Here's why Doug would consider this a failure:

He created BIGFOOT BILL and owns it outright. He launched it to big success on my YouTube channel.

He made $200K with 3300 backers.

He got the GN rights to EARTHWORM JIM, and it was a staggering success.

He made $815K with 9000 backers.

Anyone would expect that SOME of those EWJ backers would follow him back to BFB2 now, and increase or maintain his numbers on the original.

Not only did that not happen, but BFB2 lost TWO THIRDS of it's original backers.

Yes, Doug had another six figure campaign. But he ALWAYS HAS had six figure campaigns. This one just barely limped over that line in 30 days, and isn't showing any signs of increased enthusiasm or audience retention.

It is catastrophic.

I wish I could help him.

FROG

Ethan van Sciver
kiwifarms.net
Crowdfunding comics is a strange thing.

Let's look at CYBERFROG: UNFROGETTABLE TALES, which was a REPRINT book from 1994 that I was selling for $10 vs. Doug's sequel blockbuster.

Doug's BIGFOOT BILL 2 has raised $102,455 USD in it's initial 30 days with 1,146 backers.

CYBERFROG still whipped him with a lower dollar item in the same period of time: In 30 days, it's raised $131,119 USD by 2,324 backers.

Twice as many backers for a reprint floppy, almost $30,000 more. I didn't buy ads, I just talked about it on Twitter and YouTube.

Vikki, mobilize your friends and help Doug TenNapel, rather than stalking me on Twitter, YouTube and now KiwiFarms.

According to you, he's "not growing, he's just grifting."

Smug Freiza

kiwifarms.net
hasn’t it already been shown in multiple campaigns that issue 2’s do not sell as much as the first issue?
Grave Yard Shift 2 and Lonestar 2 are the only two CG campaigns to have experienced significant growth on #1, it is doable. Brian Pullido's Lady Death series increases in both dollar amount and backers every campaign, his just finished funding #11.
That and the fact that Bigfoot Bill is nowhere near as popular as EWJ
Neither is Cyberfrog evidently.
I wish I could help him.
You can, go eat a tub of butter and finally succumb to the diabetes you will inevitably develop.

verissimus

kiwifarms.net
He made a product and people paid money for it. That's really all there is to it.
So has Marvel, DC, Disney etc. and yet that didn't stop EVS, Richard Meyer, etc. bitching and moaning about their comics or movies being bad. They don't deserve a different threshold of criticism for their comics being just as bad, late or overpriced (assuming they even finish their work unlike Cridious).

TrunksFromDragonballGT

Faggotchu
kiwifarms.net
Grave Yard Shift 2 and Lonestar 2 are the only two CG campaigns to have experienced significant growth on #1, it is doable. Brian Pullido's Lady Death series increases in both dollar amount and backers every campaign, his just finished funding #11.

Neither is Cyberfrog evidently.

You can, go eat a tub of butter and finally succumb to the diabetes you will inevitably develop.
yeah, but the common factor in both Graveyard Shift and Lonestar is EVS. Would Graveyard Shift vol 3 sell nearly as much without EVS, probably because people like Malin and know who he is.

How about Lonestar 3? Judging by the failure of Bless this Mess, that will be a huge no. But the coming trainwreck will be fun to watch.

Pullido knows his that market and has mastered the art of crowdfunding way before CG was even a thing. Basically he established the template on how to do it right. That and Shi is a well known character that has been selling like hotcakes since the 90’s.

EVS took a different route, he made himself into a tv show of sorts and took an obscure character (to us, not to him), marketed it to an audience that was pissed off at the mainstream and promised that Cyberfrog would be a return to the 90’s style of comic book making.

EVS built his following and got over a hundred and thirty thousand subscribers. That’s a huge pool of followers to market your book to since you only need a fraction of that to knock it out of the park when it comes to crowdfunding. He keeps people entertained with his commentary on the comic book industry and the constant drama around CG.

I mean the guy literally has a rogue’s gallery. He cold easily write comic book based on the people who constantly come at him everyday. A comic book with a character based on himself with enemies based on Mike, Doug, Comic Book HutPreston, Edwin and Del Arroz would definitely sell well. And the way some of them reacted to Dirtworm Doug, you know that they would come after the campaign and stir up EVS’s audience to want the book even more.

This IMO, was kind of the formula that set up Cyberfrog 2 to be such a massive success.

Last edited:
  • Lunacy
Reactions: Adamska

Smug Freiza

kiwifarms.net
yeah, but the common factor in both Graveyard Shift and Lonestar is EVS. Would Graveyard Shift vol 3 sell nearly as much without EVS, probably because people like Malin and know who he is.

How about Lonestar 3? Judging by the failure of Bless this Mess, that will be a huge no. But the coming trainwreck will be fun to watch.

Pullido knows his that market and has mastered the art of crowdfunding way before CG was even a thing. Basically he established the template on how to do it right. That and Shi is a well known character that has been selling like hotcakes since the 90’s.

EVS took a different route, he made himself into a tv show of sorts and took an obscure character (to us, not to him), marketed it to an audience that was pissed off at the mainstream and promised that Cyberfrog would be a return to the 90’s style of comic book making.

EVS built his following and got over a hundred and thirty thousand subscribers. That’s a huge pool of followers to market your book to since you only need a fraction of that to knock it out of the park when it comes to crowdfunding. He keeps people entertained with his commentary on the comic book industry and the constant drama around CG.

I mean the guy could literally has a rogue’s gallery. He cold easily write comic book based on the people who constantly come at him everyday. A comic book with a character based on himself with enemies based on Mike, Doug, Comic Book HutPreston, Edwin and Del Arroz would definitely sell well. And the way some of them reacted to Dirtworm Doug, you know that they would come after the campaign and stir up EVS’s audience to want the book even more.

This IMO, was kind of the formula that set up Cyberfrog 2 to be such a massive success.
I feel like Malin has a big of enough of a youtube presence now to sustain growth in his campaigns, he is the only other active big name pro left in CG other than Ethan and while GS wasn't spectacular it wasn't exactly terrible either. He'd have to fuck up pretty hard to do worse on GS3.

Pullido's model is completely different to EVS, did you know he only has 1300 subs on youtube? His videos views number in a couple of dozen to a few hundred at best. Yet his crowdfunding campaigns are huge and every campaign grows from the previous one, I'm not sure how active he is on Instagram or Twitter but his clearly doing something right. He also has up to 4 campaigns per year, each pulling in six figures and has an online store where people can catch up on back issues. His business model is rock solid, CG could learn a great deal from him.

As for comparing Lonestar 3 to Bless this Mess, I disagree. Nobody wanted or asked for Bless this Mess, it was a mistake for Mike to launch it expecting his audience to turn out for it. Most of his subs enjoy action whether its from his Injustice comics, Game of Thrones or Lonestar while Bless This Mess looked like something your mother would read in the sunday papers. Probably didn't help that he demonized kickstarter for over a year for kicking him off with LS Redux then came crawling back to launch BTM. He should have known his audience isn't to fond of KS for obvious reasons. He still has over 6K subs on his channel, his mailing list, his books are in the hands of hundreds of enlisted soldiers and veterans and he has the ear of larger youtubers like Doug T, Vee and Ben Shapiro. I think he'll do just as well for LS3 possibly better, however we'll just have to wait and see.

TrunksFromDragonballGT

Faggotchu
kiwifarms.net
I feel like Malin has a big of enough of a youtube presence now to sustain growth in his campaigns, he is the only other active big name pro left in CG other than Ethan and while GS wasn't spectacular it wasn't exactly terrible either. He'd have to fuck up pretty hard to do worse on GS3.

Pullido's model is completely different to EVS, did you know he only has 1300 subs on youtube? His videos views number in a couple of dozen to a few hundred at best. Yet his crowdfunding campaigns are huge and every campaign grows from the previous one, I'm not sure how active he is on Instagram or Twitter but his clearly doing something right. He also has up to 4 campaigns per year, each pulling in six figures and has an online store where people can catch up on back issues. His business model is rock solid, CG could learn a great deal from him.

As for comparing Lonestar 3 to Bless this Mess, I disagree. Nobody wanted or asked for Bless this Mess, it was a mistake for Mike to launch it expecting his audience to turn out for it. Most of his subs enjoy action whether its from his Injustice comics, Game of Thrones or Lonestar while Bless This Mess looked like something your mother would read in the sunday papers. Probably didn't help that he demonized kickstarter for over a year for kicking him off with LS Redux then came crawling back to launch BTM. He should have known his audience isn't to fond of KS for obvious reasons. He still has over 6K subs on his channel, his mailing list, his books are in the hands of hundreds of enlisted soldiers and veterans and he has the ear of larger youtubers like Doug T, Vee and Ben Shapiro. I think he'll do just as well for LS3 possibly better, however we'll just have to wait and see.
Plus, he launched Bless this Mess without any promotion at all, but even so, a lot of people knew about the campaign. I think spite and him going over to kickstarter knowing a lot of CG people won’t deal with that platform was the reason the campaign failed.
i think Lonestar 3 will definately fund. I just don’t see it hitting six figures.

Reactions: Smug Freiza

Wise Man

I know nothing.
kiwifarms.net
I feel like Malin has a big of enough of a youtube presence now to sustain growth in his campaigns, he is the only other active big name pro left in CG other than Ethan and while GS wasn't spectacular it wasn't exactly terrible either. He'd have to fuck up pretty hard to do worse on GS3

Jon Malin is in the process of fucking up if he can't find a printer that works through Corona chan.

You'd think after his chinese printer took a huge shit he'd be smart enough to choose an American company. But then he had the great idea to choose one in "open borders we ignore travel bans" Canada!

GYS2 should have been in people's hands this month and he's being forced to find a new printer. 120 days from the expected fulfilment date is the deadline for chargebacks as many of Mike's backers are discovering. Jon better sort his shit out quick.

If I'm stuck home by quarantine order and my choice is wait 4 more months for maybe a book, or ask my bank to get my money back from an IGG campaign so I don't have to dip into savings for an insurance payment, it's not a tough decision.

Smug Freiza

kiwifarms.net
Jon Malin is in the process of fucking up if he can't find a printer that works through Corona chan.

You'd think after his chinese printer took a huge shit he'd be smart enough to choose an American company. But then he had the great idea to choose one in "open borders we ignore travel bans" Canada!

GYS2 should have been in people's hands this month and he's being forced to find a new printer. 120 days from the expected fulfilment date is the deadline for chargebacks as many of Mike's backers are discovering. Jon better sort his shit out quick.

If I'm stuck home by quarantine order and my choice is wait 4 more months for maybe a book, or ask my bank to get my money back from an IGG campaign so I don't have to dip into savings for an insurance payment, it's not a tough decision.
I do find it extremely hypocritical a lot of these "anti marxist" youtuber personalities/creators give business to a Communist nation just so they can save a few pennies on printing. I think Mike and Ethan use DC's printers in Canada also, I've heard them mention it before.

I do think Jons audience will be more forgiving however, just because the Corona-virus shut down is more of an acceptable excuse compared to the absolute shitshow of incompetence shown by Ethan and Mitch Breitweiser.

Analog Devolved

kiwifarms.net
I do find it extremely hypocritical a lot of these "anti marxist" youtuber personalities/creators give business to a Communist nation just so they can save a few pennies on printing. I think Mike and Ethan use DC's printers in Canada also, I've heard them mention it before.

I do think Jons audience will be more forgiving however, just because the Corona-virus shut down is more of an acceptable excuse compared to the absolute shitshow of incompetence shown by Ethan and Mitch Breitweiser.
At least Ethan provided something of collectible value. This can easily be seen in the resell prices online. The fact anyone is buying bloodhoney second hand is a positive direction for backers. The campaign was extremely late and gay but got fulfilled. The books are all in the backers hands and can't be purchased anywhere else at a lower price.
The walmart route Mitch & co. Went is a massive fuck you to the core audience that backed his campaign. You'll never see the resell value or collectibility of his comic increase. Imagine each book as a "share" in the stock of the comic, he's printing unlimited shares tanking any chance even a signed gold foil copy will be worth anything more than glorified wu-flu toilet paper.
@Smug Freiza said the futurists is a great comic, the same comic that can be picked up at walmart for pennies on his dollar. Good luck finding a buyer with millions of copies on the street and zero demand.
The EVS/Mitch comparison is a false equivalency. The quality of Cyberfrog is also much higher with more interesting and collectible perks.
I find it interesting Cates shit talking ribbit coins when he indulges in the hat pin and t shirt gimmick game just as hard.

Smug Freiza

kiwifarms.net
At least Ethan provided something of collectible value. This can easily be seen in the resell prices online. The fact anyone is buying bloodhoney second hand is a positive direction for backers. The campaign was extremely late and gay but got fulfilled. The books are all in the backers hands and can't be purchased anywhere else at a lower price.
The walmart route Mitch & co. Went is a massive fuck you to the core audience that backed his campaign. You'll never see the resell value or collectibility of his comic increase. Imagine each book as a "share" in the stock of the comic, he's printing unlimited shares tanking any chance even a signed gold foil copy will be worth anything more than glorified wu-flu toilet paper.
@Smug Freiza said the futurists is a great comic, the same comic that can be picked up at walmart for pennies on his dollar. Good luck finding a buyer with millions of copies on the street and zero demand.
The EVS/Mitch comparison is a false equivalency. The quality of Cyberfrog is also much higher with more interesting and collectible perks.
I find it interesting Cates shit talking ribbit coins when he indulges in the hat pin and t shirt gimmick game just as hard.
When I mentioned above about the "shitshow of incompetence show by Ethan and Mitch" I was referring to the massive delay in fulfillment compared to what Jon Malin was currently experiencing. Ethan's campaign was late because he was streaming and shitposting on twitter to much, Mitch's was late because he was busy building a business instead of drawing RR, Jon's is late because the Corona-virus has shut down most printers.

Of all three excuses for being late, Jon's is the only reasonable one since its completely out of his control. I'm sure his audience will understand that, is the point I was trying to make.

And The Futurists was a damn fine book, easily the best CG has produced by far.

Analog Devolved

kiwifarms.net
When I mentioned above about the "shitshow of incompetence show by Ethan and Mitch" I was referring to the massive delay in fulfillment compared to what Jon Malin was currently experiencing. Ethan's campaign was late because he was streaming and shitposting on twitter to much, Mitch's was late because he was busy building a business instead of drawing RR, Jon's is late because the Corona-virus has shut down most printers.

Of all three excuses for being late, Jon's is the only reasonable one since its completely out of his control. I'm sure his audience will understand that, is the point I was trying to make.

And The Futurists was a damn fine book, easily the best CG has produced by far.
I look at it from a collectibility perspective when the books are priced at a premium a superior product should be expected. A $25 comic book should be an in-demand item and not an unlimited print run at various ever decreasing price points. No matter how late the product is if it's top quality and you get your money's worth then any delay is a matter of quality vs. Lateness.

I'd say Malins delay isn't comparable to the other campaigns because of Corona and won't affect the end quality of the product. It's not like we're waiting for holofoil covers the printer is simply shut down temporarily.
If Ethan suddenly started tabling at cons selling the foil cover for $4 with $10 head sketches It would greatly diminish the value of the original backers of the campaign.
I may be in the minority here that I don't mind waiting for a high quality product. The biggest issue I take with the late deliveries was the absolute shit communication about why it was taking so long.

TrunksFromDragonballGT

Faggotchu
kiwifarms.net
I look at it from a collectibility perspective when the books are priced at a premium a superior product should be expected. A $25 comic book should be an in-demand item and not an unlimited print run at various ever decreasing price points. No matter how late the product is if it's top quality and you get your money's worth then any delay is a matter of quality vs. Lateness.

I'd say Malins delay isn't comparable to the other campaigns because of Corona and won't affect the end quality of the product. It's not like we're waiting for holofoil covers the printer is simply shut down temporarily.
If Ethan suddenly started tabling at cons selling the foil cover for $4 with $10 head sketches It would greatly diminish the value of the original backers of the campaign.
I may be in the minority here that I don't mind waiting for a high quality product. The biggest issue I take with the late deliveries was the absolute shit communication about why it was taking so long.
that’s one thing I can say about Ethan when it came to the first campaign. He constantly kept us updated on the book’s progress and handled people’s growing anger at the late product as best he could. Others would have gone silent and crumpled under that immense amount of pressure.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Autistic
Reactions: Wise Man and FROG
Tags
None