Comicsgate Hangers-On and Drama Whores - A thread about some guy who's mad about Star Wars and the neckbeards obsessively stalking him

Odets

kiwifarms.net
Yes, CYBERFROG is the competition. JAWBREAKERS, GRAVEYARD SHIFT, BRAND, MONSTER MD, SHINOBI SASQUATCH and STARBLADES are the competition.

When you fund these projects, you are getting works of passion, not bored corporate tripe funded by junkfood ads and blockbuster movies. These are people voting with their wallets, and if they're buying CYBERFROG because they think it looks great, think it sends a message, or just like me personally, I don't ask them. It's none of my business to question the motives of the customer. I just prefer to say thank you.

2020 is going to be a big year for ComicsGate. You can't beat us. You should join us.
My God, you are actually autistic... It's one thing when fanboys say this crap, after all, they want to belong, but when the head of a business can't squeeze anything else other than shitty platitudes that's a death sentence. "Works of passion"? Is that why Jawbreakers are comprised from Chinese knockoff of marvel and DC characters going through a rejected GIJoe script? Is that why your late book is just a recap book with litteral black "chapter" pages and space pages made for padding with some of the worst first draft Bendis writing out there? If that's passion I hate to see what phoning in looks like.

lol it is when the Big 2 can't even match that. It frequently fucking can't, besides gems like White Knight and the Frankenstein's monster take with the Hulk.
Are you writing this from 2017? Because there are also both Justice League spinoffs, Venom, Guardians of The Galaxy, Hawkman everything that Chip puts out... Just because Old Meme Zack isn't covering something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
that’s a straw man argument. Pizzarias and hot dog stands don‘t even compete with each other, especially when the number of pizzarias outnumber hotdog stands in the thousands.

the crowdfunding market is much smaller and in order to make money, one can’t do what Doug did and expect it to be sustainable even if it makes the customer happy. The point is to make a profit. That’s why Bigfoot Bill won’t come with all of the bells and whistles that EWJ did.
No it isn't because both Doug and Ehehe are in the same market and yet Doug delivers a better deal. Saying that this is unsustainable just because a fat autist with his reactionary channel about Star Wars dosen't do it that's what's crazy

VIkkiVerse

kiwifarms.net
What you're describing isn't "taking a hit" or any form of losing money. It's just a different tier of a product. It's like saying that a restaurant or a pizzeria are losing money compared to the hot dog stand because they "stupidly wasted money" on decorations, tables, chairs and a roof. Which we all know isn't true, it's just different type of service.

You're basically proving that Doug puts out better products which no one argues with. Can you instead prove to me that Doug is in financial trouble, that this is unsustainable?
Bit late but...I heard Doug on stream, sometime in the last couple of days, says that he made a bit less then 20% on Earthworm Jim. That he projected 20% and he made a little less. I'm not sure if that's before or after setting aside funds for his next book.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bit late but...I heard Doug on stream, sometime in the last couple of days, says that he made a bit less then 20% on Earthworm Jim. That he projected 20% and he made a little less. I'm not sure if that's before or after setting aside funds for his next book.
My experience is you want your retail price to be 2.5 times the material cost, which counts for operations and work time.

20% is pretty marginal. Nice profit admittedly, but fairly marginal if you want to have capital to further invest in this as a business.

VIkkiVerse

kiwifarms.net
My experience is you want your retail price to be 2.5 times the material cost, which counts for operations and work time.

20% is pretty marginal. Nice profit admittedly, but fairly marginal if you want to have capital to further invest in this as a business.
This maybe after setting aside money for his next book. He's already paying people, for example Alejandro Mirabal of Longharbor has been doing the interior covers, has completed the one for EWJ2 and is currently working on the one for EWJ3. I assume he's got his flatter working on BFB2 since he's inking it.

Last edited:

huckbeine

I'm cute, buy my comic
kiwifarms.net

My experience is it always depends on how many copies you will actually sell. if the volume of comics you sold is very high, even a 20% margin would cover the overhead costs and still have some left.

Ivan Shatov

Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
kiwifarms.net

He certainly put a lot of money into materials.

I remember a stream where Doug was talking about BFB, saying he was going to go all out on the cover, the binding, the paper quality, etc. He saw this as a way to build his audience.

BFB just sits on my shelf, next to a journal about optics and a book about the Ramones. I can't fit it in with other comics, the fact it has to sit there like a book puts me off a little.

I'd rather he took a profit.

• DRINK!
Reactions: Adamska

TheLaughingMan

Mocking and laughing at the "Bitch Made"
kiwifarms.net
I have to wonder who EVS had do this shitty attempt. I knew it was fake. First thing I noticed is that the so called post by Capt. Cummings is not level. It starts going slightly up at the right end. Pretty pathetic of whoever it was who did this. LMAO. It is slight, but it's enough to annoy the hell out of me in ways about it not being straight across. Oh and I guess more on it is what Edwin goes over about it, that Cummings was never a "Blue check".

• Agree
  • Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Zigzag and Odets

Mad Asshatter

My other name was Maggot
kiwifarms.net
The money from crowdfunders should be spent allowing artists to create their best work, not cynically hacking out 4 pages per day to meet a self-imposed deadline. We don't need MORE comics, we need BETTER comics. And while it's good to show off the created work in a nice package, it's secondary to laboring over something meaningful.
If CyberFrog meant that much to you, why did it take you so long to get around to finishing the actual product, using cheap paper that can't seem to take the heavy amount of ink ( that even you admitted fell apart in your hands) then take ages to send out the finished product to the people that funded the campaigns?

You went on and on on Youtube about how much CyberFrog meant to you. Yet you've done little but treat your creation like an afterthought, like a fifth-tier character from a bargain bin rag.

If CyberFrog supposedly means that much to you, then why are you treating your character and it's fans like common trash?

Last edited:

TrunksFromDragonballGT

Faggotchu
kiwifarms.net
If CyberFrog meant that much to you, why did it take you so long to get around to finishing the actual product, using cheap paper that can't seem to take the heavy amount of ink ( that even you admitted fell apart in your hands) then take ages to send out the finished product to the people that funded the campaigns?

You went on and on on Youtube about how much CyberFrog meant to you. Yet you've done little but treat your creation like an afterthought, like a fifth-tier character from a bargain bin rag.

If CyberFrog supposedly means that much to you, then why are you treating your character and it's fans like common trash?
you do know that he was being sarcastic when he said that the book fell apart in his hands right?

RemoveKebab

Point Blank Period
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

The lack of communication is what is driving CF backers craziest. The people who supported CF the earliest still have yet to receive their books. Ethan keeps giving excuses that the books shipped this week but weeks have come and gone.

Meanwhile, people are actually receiving their Earthworm Jim books really quickly and they are shipped and received in excellent condition.

Based on the way EVS has fucked up the shipping and communication so badly for CF, I would sit out his next round of crowdfunding to see if he can actually deliver on time as opposed to him sitting on 4 hour streams agruging about high school tier drama.

Get your priorities straight EVS.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ethan shipped my copy fine and gets a B- for communication; I just wish that he used a higher volume paper since it's obvious it doesn't handle ink too well on its own given the waviness of the page.

Compared to half the guys I got comics from? He's a chatterbox by comparison, with only Doug and Zack matching him in telling you what was up.

The Black and White team were pretty good too, but deepsixed so long I thought it was just vaporware until I got it.

Mad Asshatter

My other name was Maggot
kiwifarms.net
The lack of communication is what is driving CF backers craziest. The people who supported CF the earliest still have yet to receive their books. Ethan keeps giving excuses that the books shipped this week but weeks have come and gone.

Meanwhile, people are actually receiving their Earthworm Jim books really quickly and they are shipped and received in excellent condition.

Based on the way EVS has fucked up the shipping and communication so badly for CF, I would sit out his next round of crowdfunding to see if he can actually deliver on time as opposed to him sitting on 4 hour streams agruging about high school tier drama.

Get your priorities straight EVS.
I remember the 4-5 Indigogo 'campaigns' he had for this thing. For the first one, I myself had been sorely tempted to donate, even wondering about doing three thousand dollars so I could have been drawn in as a 'survivor.' In the end, I decided against donating anything and wanted to just wait and see how things went. One thing that started raising flags for me was him calling for more Indigogo campaigns after the first two especially after he had bragged online about how much money they had raised. What also made me wonder was how long this thing was taking. I could understand 6-8 months, especially with a guy who likely didn't have a regular 9-5 day job and probably had no other responsibilities other then his family and his YouTube channel. You would think he'd be working on it whenever possible, especially if he only makes money from YouTube and whatever royalties he gets from his previous comic book jobs. Without these he probably would be on welfare.

So something that important you would think would have been high priority, and (as someone mentioned before) largely done up ahead of time, THEN crowd-funded to see how many people wanted issues and what 'perks' could be added. Then if interest is still there after the first backers got their copies, then that is when I could see one or two additional campaigns for the people that missed out on the first one. That way people didn't have to wait, there would be time for minor revisions, and it would have given him time to plan and outline Part 2 while they were being printed and bound. But nope, dude sat on his ass, bloviated, and shilled his tee-shirts.
Ethan shipped my copy fine and gets a B- for communication; I just wish that he used a higher volume paper since it's obvious it doesn't handle ink too well on its own given the waviness of the page.

Compared to half the guys I got comics from? He's a chatterbox by comparison, with only Doug and Zack matching him in telling you what was up.

The Black and White team were pretty good too, but deepsixed so long I thought it was just vaporware until I got it.
I remember him 'updating' a lot, which was not the issue people were having with him. It's more like it was over him goofing off on Youtube, his poor management of time, and using the cheaper, lower quality paper for a heavy ink job. Plus all but stiffing the first Indigogo backers.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Zigzag

TrunksFromDragonballGT

Faggotchu
kiwifarms.net
People keep bugging about paper quality. I just compared to my issue of Deadpool annual number 1 from Marvel to Cyberfrog both of them used paper of the same thickness and quality. Which suggests that Uncle Ethan was at least using the industry standard. You know I’ve never heard of the complaints of low quality paper and the ink rubbing off the pages outside of this forum. it’s kinda like people have a vendetta against Ethan for whatever reason.If you don’t like the man, then just don’t buy his product anymore and just move on.

Last edited:

RemoveKebab

Point Blank Period
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I am glad the communication for you was good. I am specifically talking about those who have STILL not received their books despite EVS telling them they have shipped a while back.

November became December and now it is January and still no book, no tracking number, and no contact from EVS on when to actually expect the book.

Instead of another stream talking about how OG Comicsgate is dead (who the fuck cares?) How about a video or stream explaining when the remaining books will be sent.

• Agree
Reactions: Zigzag

Odets

kiwifarms.net
You know I’ve never heard of the complaints of low quality paper and the ink rubbing off the pages outside of this forum. it’s kinda like people have a vendetta against Ethan for whatever reason.If you don’t like the man, then just don’t buy his product anymore and just move on.
Zack did it consistently in 2018, maybe 2017. it's there on his channel if you search for it. Can't blame fans for imitating a prominent CG member. Also how much did Deadpool annual cost? 5 bucks maybe 8, not 25 plus shipping expenses.

TrunksFromDragonballGT

Faggotchu
kiwifarms.net
What about how much it cost? We are talking about paper quality here And Zack was talking Marvel comic books not Cyberfrog in those videos. If 25 bucks is too much for a book, then no one is forcing the purchaser to go through the trouble of logging into Indiegogo and inputting their credit card number to buy it. Marvel can sell their books cheaper because they can afford to pay Diamond to distribute their books. But honestly, Marvel and DC hike the prices of their comics up every year. Now it’s gotten to the point where I can buy myself an actual novel for the price of a 24 page book.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I knocked the grade for Ethan's communication down when he got cagier with the special edition books after the regulars came out first, but it does seem they're starting to ship out at least.
People keep bugging about paper quality. I just compared to my issue of Deadpool annual number 1 from Marvel to Cyberfrog both of them used paper of the same thickness and quality. Which suggests that Uncle Ethan was at least using the industry standard. You know I’ve never heard of the complaints of low quality paper and the ink rubbing off the pages outside of this forum. it’s kinda like people have a vendetta against Ethan for whatever reason.If you don’t like the man, then just don’t buy his product anymore and just move on.
I don't have this problem for my floppies, even the small menagerie of silver age relics I keep. This book is pretty unique in that regard. Besides, I've only seen that pattern on the pages in one circumstance; when the paper went through more ink load than it could take since old inkjet printers did this all the time too. That's not a good thing; it makes the paper more fragile and likelier to "bleed".

It's one thing to mock baseless screeching and gayposting about EVS, it's another to actually fucking brush something valid under the rug.
What about how much it cost? We are talking about paper quality here And Zack was talking Marvel comic books not Cyberfrog in those videos. If 25 bucks is too much for a book, then no one is forcing the purchaser to go through the trouble of logging into Indiegogo and inputting their credit card number to buy it. Marvel can sell their books cheaper because they can afford to pay Diamond to distribute their books. But honestly, Marvel and DC hike the prices of their comics up every year. Now it’s gotten to the point where I can buy myself an actual novel for the price of a 24 page book.

Wotcher, you're starting to become the meme.

TrunksFromDragonballGT

Faggotchu
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I knocked the grade for Ethan's communication down when he got cagier with the special edition books after the regulars came out first, but it does seem they're starting to ship out at least.

I don't have this problem for my floppies, even the small menagerie of silver age relics I keep. This book is pretty unique in that regard. Besides, I've only seen that pattern on the pages in one circumstance; when the paper went through more ink load than it could take since old inkjet printers did this all the time too. That's not a good thing; it makes the paper more fragile and likelier to "bleed".

It's one thing to mock baseless screeching and gayposting about EVS, it's another to actually fucking brush something valid under the rug.

Wotcher, you're starting to become the meme.
yeah, as opposed to hanging around here complaining about his comics when he’s already made major bank on his books and will continue to do so, but I’m the autistic one here?

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
yeah, as opposed to hanging around here complaining about his comics when he’s already made major bank on his books and will continue to do so, but I’m the autistic one here?
Yeah, now you're just being exceptional, because by this logic Ethan's exceptional for complaining about Star Wars because they get fuck you money from each movie.

I've been very clear about my position and have backed Ethan from time to time despite my complaints; sorry if you get just as pissy as the "REEE EETHAAAN" Autists when I say something you don't like.

Last edited:
Tags
None