Coming To America sequel set for 2020 -

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
https://deadline.com/2019/02/eddie-murphy-coming-to-america-2-release-date-1202554776/

Paramount Sets Arrival Date For ‘Coming To America 2’

February 11, 2019 11:07am

Paramount has announced that the as-yet-untitled Coming to America 2 will open on Aug. 7, 2020.

The only other major studio release on that date is an untitled Warner Bros. pic.

Craig Brewer is set to direct the sequel to the 1988 blockbuster comedy. Eddie Murphy is poised to reprise his role as Akeem, the pampered African prince who became bored of potential marriage partners in a kingdom too in awe of him, and who traveled to Queens to go undercover and find a strong-willed woman he could respect.

In the sequel, Akeem learns about a long-lost son, and must return to America to meet the unlikely heir to the throne of Zamunda.

Kenya Barris is rewriting a script by original Coming to America writers Barry Blaustein and David Sheffield. Murphy is producing with Kevin Misher and Barris is exec producer.

Pic’s original cast included Arsenio Hall, who played the prince’s aide Semmi; Shari Headley, who was courted by the prince when he went undercover as a fast food worker; John Amos, who played her father; and James Earl Jones, who played the king.

Sword Fighter Super

I hope the princess made lotsah spaghetti!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Can no one in Hollywood come up with an original idea for a movie anymore? Seems like it's everyday now we're getting a sequel or remake no one asked for. Just making the same thing for a quick buck
That's all Hollywood is. It's only by accident that a little art makes it through sometimes.

Basketball Jones

kiwifarms.net
Here’s his contributions to television and movies... it’s aboit what you’d expect.

I feel like I remember the movie being funny, but not funny in the same way things are today. What’s that word...for when something “was”funny but now it’s inappropriate to laugh...

Oh yeah “problematic.”

So what’s Kenya Barris’ most recent contribution to non-problematic media?

Ah.

Coh

Tenebrae Perfectae et Nigeres
kiwifarms.net
If there should have been a sequel to the movie, it should have happened at the latest in the early 90’s. Making a sequel fo a medium past a certain time limit with different staff and directors and the like is a surefire way to make it either mediocre at best or outright shit, because the original idea that made it good is either separated by a long period of time and/or by people not interpreting what the OG director of the series wanted to do with it (who usually know what they are doing better than the new fucks at the helm). The only exception to this OTTOMH is DOOM 2016, which respected the source material while doing its own thing. Duke Nukem, Star Wars, Ghostbusters and Jurassic Park however were marred by change and that’s unfortunately the norm. It kinda gives me an appreciation for series that died off too early like Perfect Dark , Advance Wars and Ogre Battle for pettering out at their peak before they became shit and series that manage to be consistently good like Ace Combat or Civilization since the devs know that they have a good series and should put in the time to make a high quality product that keeps what’s good about the previous entries while doing its own thing, something Hollywood can’t seem to do. (Tl;DR: It’s been 30 years. Why release another “Coming to America” now when practically everyone associated with it has moved on to other things? Btw, sorry for the rant. This shit just irks me so much)

GrungyLawnChlorinate

confirmed hairless and stable
kiwifarms.net
Here’s his contributions to television and movies... it’s aboit what you’d expect.

I feel like I remember the movie being funny, but not funny in the same way things are today. What’s that word...for when something “was”funny but now it’s inappropriate to laugh...

Oh yeah “problematic.”

So what’s Kenya Barris’ most recent contribution to non-problematic media?

Ah.
Also directed by another totally useless hack, Craig Brewer.

This is movie DOA.

They should have had Max Landis direct it. Better yet scrap the project then divert all funds to new season of Dirk Gently.

If there should have been a sequel to the movie, it should have happened at the latest in the early 90’s. Making a sequel fo a medium past a certain time limit with different staff and directors and the like is a surefire way to make it either mediocre at best or outright shit, because the original idea that made it good is either separated by a long period of time and/or by people not interpreting what the OG director of the series wanted to do with it (who usually know what they are doing better than the new fucks at the helm). The only exception to this OTTOMH is DOOM 2016, which respected the source material while doing its own thing. Duke Nukem, Star Wars, Ghostbusters and Jurassic Park however were marred by change and that’s unfortunately the norm. It kinda gives me an appreciation for series that died off too early like Perfect Dark , Advance Wars and Ogre Battle for pettering out at their peak before they became shit and series that manage to be consistently good like Ace Combat or Civilization since the devs know that they have a good series and should put in the time to make a high quality product that keeps what’s good about the previous entries while doing its own thing, something Hollywood can’t seem to do. (Tl;DR: It’s been 30 years. Why release another “Coming to America” now when practically everyone associated with it has moved on to other things? Btw, sorry for the rant. This shit just irks me so much)
Since the script that Kenya Barris rewrote was one written by the original screenwriters, neither of which has worked in 15 years, it might be that this sequel was originally planned for production decades ago. It'll be amusing to see how a BET-grade writer updates the script.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When I saw the thread my first thought was "Okay, it's going to be a father son kind of thing and a sort of passing of the torch movie (because this needs to be a franchise 30 years after the fact) where the son is the focus of the movie." And I was sadly right.

Tragi-Chan

Godmaster Reverend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Where’s the audience appetite for this? The Ghostbusters remake and Blade Runner 2049 both flopped. Coming to America is a movie with nothing like the level of recognition those franchises have. No one was clamoring for a Coming to America sequel, much less 30 years later .

ColorfulCassowary

Oama i gone
kiwifarms.net
I didn't even know there was a Coming To America 1. Were people begging for this 30 year old movie to get a sequel? Did they just come up with this via throwing darts at a dartboard? You might be tired of stuff like Ghostbusters, Star Wars, and Marvel, but at least they're relevant. They're cemented in pop culture. Why make a sequel to some random Eddy Murphy movie?

Edit: Tragi-Chan wrote almost the exact same comment as me.(:_(

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
I didn't even know there was a Coming To America 1. Were people begging for this 30 year old movie to get a sequel? Did they just come up with this via throwing darts at a dartboard? You might be tired of stuff like Ghostbusters, Star Wars, and Marvel, but at least they're relevant. They're cemented in pop culture. Why make a sequel to some random Eddy Murphy movie?

Edit: Tragi-Chan wrote almost the exact same comment as me.(:_(
At least they didn't make any sequels to Norbit:

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino