Compulsive Hoarding Disorder and the Chandlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJAndyMD

kiwifarms.net
I have been watching a lot of Hoarders and Hoarding: Buried Alive and I know we are all aware of the clutter Chris' house is buried under. I also know that someone tried to get them on Hoarders but rejected. So here is something to consider:

1. Can there be a deeper reason for Barb's hoarding?
2. After the bug infestation, which lead to Bob being covered in bites and of course his death, has there been a wake up call to get rid of the hoard or has it gotten worse over time.

Henry Bemis

just a fragment of what man has deeded to himself
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The residents of 14BC-Bob, Barb, and Chris-make Abraham Maslov weep, thoroughly lacking in anything that isn't a base physiological need. Hoarding is supposed to deflect concerns about that lacking.

Satoru182

kiwifarms.net
Maybe she was abused when she was young, but the is a well known fact that old people become hoarders. Young people become hoarders too of course.
The bug bites where not the cause of the Lumberjack death, but it caused him a big discomfort in his last days.

Chris autism causes him to be obsessed with his stuff and as we know he hardly lets go of something, that fucking totem he made in school is a thing of nightmares.

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Satoru182 said:
Maybe she was abused when she was young, but the is a well known fact that old people become hoarders. Young people become hoarders too of course.
The bug bites where not the cause of the Lumberjack death, but it caused him a big discomfort in his last days.

Chris autism causes him to be obsessed with his stuff and as we know he hardly lets go of something, that fucking totem he made in school is a thing of nightmares.
Eh, not really. Or, he's pretty far from being a hoarder. Chris' bedroom is kinda cluttered, but he's still willing to get rid of or sell things for various reasons. Barb's the real hoarder at 14BC. She's the one who filled the house to the ceiling with lots of stupid shit.

sparklemilhouse

America Online for Dummies™
kiwifarms.net
I'm dying to see more details of the shit Barb hoards. That THAT IS MY HOUSE video wasn't detailed enough for me.

Batman VS Tony Danza

The Eternal Struggle
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's only hoarding if the person cares way too much about their junk. Barb freaked out when anyone tried to move her useless shit. While Chris likes his crap he isn't that emotionally attached to most of it. He'll sell his toys and games if it benifits him. Hoarders don't do that.

Some people think Chris is a digital hoarder due his PSN purchases but meh, I think he's just shit with money and impulse buys like a 7 year old with birthday money.

CatParty

Boo
Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
he may not be one now, but he has signs that this is not a far off prediction.
however BatmanVSTonyDanza has a point with the digital purchases. i was re-reading the jackie emails and he was almost in a state of panic when he wiped his hard drive. it seemed as if it were worse than when he missed pancakes when aunt corrina died. he needed needed needed to get his digital content back asap.
but i've also said before that since he is not prepared to live alone the trauma of barb finally passing could trigger such behavior in order to keep everything from happier times around him. i mean look at his room already. he still has art projects from elementary school around his room. he has piles of vhs's without a working vcr.
marvin may be right for now, but i can see chris chan getting a whole lot worse.

CalmMyTits

Has tentacles in her panties!
kiwifarms.net
I feel really bad for Bob. Yes, he was far from perfect (as discussed in another thread) but certainly this man deserved to end his life with more dignity than he did, stuck amidst his wife's hoard, plagued by bug bites, knowing that the household would probably implode upon his passing, and in a way it has (the Oct 28 2011 incident, for one) unable to go outside to the shed and listen to his music.

But then, on Hoarders (or Buried Alive) I've seen people with spouses or children with health problems adversely affected by the hoard and they still won't clean up. Such people deserve to be kicked out of their houses/disowned by their famines altogether for being so cavalier about their family's health issues. If my dying husband was covered in bug bites, I'd try to find out where these bites were coming from and remedy the situation.

AtroposHeart

KAWAII WEEABOO PRINCESSU
kiwifarms.net
I admit I use to be bad about letting plates and drinks pile up in my room, but since Chris-Chan and watching Hoarders I have gotten much better at throwing stuff away.

Yes, Barb has issues does anyone have a link to the incident where she threatened to kill herself if they cleaned up?

CalmMyTits

Has tentacles in her panties!
kiwifarms.net
AtroposHeart said:
I admit I use to be bad about letting plates and drinks pile up in my room, but since Our Pet Lolcow and watching Hoarders I have gotten much better at throwing stuff away.

Yes, Barb has issues does anyone have a link to the incident where she threatened to kill herself if they cleaned up?

You're not the only one who has been scared STRAIGHT by a combination of Barb/Hoarders.

I remember Chris said Barb would kill herself somewhere but I don't remember either. Killing yourself over crap you got from Goodwill... someone has issues.

O

OR 345

kiwifarms.net
CatParty said:
but i've also said before that since he is not prepared to live alone the trauma of barb finally passing could trigger such behavior in order to keep everything from happier times around him. i mean look at his room already. he still has art projects from elementary school around his room. he has piles of vhs's without a working vcr.
marvin may be right for now, but i can see Our Pet Lolcow getting a whole lot worse.

Is there that much of a chance his attachment would extend outside his own possessions?

Da Pickle Monsta

Should Have Been Bullied
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
CalmMyTits said:
AtroposHeart said:
I admit I use to be bad about letting plates and drinks pile up in my room, but since Our Pet Lolcow and watching Hoarders I have gotten much better at throwing stuff away.

You're not the only one who has been scared STRAIGHT by a combination of Barb/Hoarders.

I remember Chris said Barb would kill herself somewhere but I don't remember either. Killing yourself over crap you got from Goodwill... someone has issues.

Ugh, I'd nearly forgotten about that. I think Barb also threatened suicide over the Ivy situation. People who threaten suicide as a way to manipulate others really, really piss me off. It makes me wish that somebody'd call her bluff and put her on an involuntary 72-hour psychiatric hold.

Anyway, back to the hoard. It's a mess there, to be sure, but I'm not really sure there's a deeper reason for Barb's hoarding other than that she's just an enormously materialistic and selfish person. Not trying to A-Log, just calling it like I see it.

Henry Bemis

just a fragment of what man has deeded to himself
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Da Pickle Monsta said:
...but I'm not really sure there's a deeper reason for Barb's hoarding other than that she's just an enormously materialistic and selfish person. Not trying to A-Log, just calling it like I see it.

What do any of the residents at 14 Branchland have that isn't a massive collection of something-or-other? Let's check:

-Friends? No.

-Acquaintances, or people to regularly talk to? Barb stopped having a regular social outlet when she stopped going to church, and Chris has followed suit. The neighbors have yet to make their presence known in any CWC media, which we can assume means they stay the hell away. Local business owners just do their job and sell them stuff, nothing more and nothing less (on good days).

-Family? Even if they aren't totally estranged, the 14BC folk are still very much the disconnected oddballs who really have to stretch themselves to find anyone who will let them in. Jonathan Carey, that guy whose wedding the family attended, is Barb's sister's brother-in-law, for example.

In short, there's nothing that anchors the Chandlers down in the here-and-now, except for their purchases (which surely emphasize their "smarts" in finding bargains and "wheelin' and dealin'").

Da Pickle Monsta

Should Have Been Bullied
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Henry Bemis said:
Da Pickle Monsta said:
...but I'm not really sure there's a deeper reason for Barb's hoarding other than that she's just an enormously materialistic and selfish person. Not trying to A-Log, just calling it like I see it.

What do any of the residents at 14 Branchland have that isn't a massive collection of something-or-other? Let's check:

-Friends? No.

-Acquaintances, or people to regularly talk to? Barb stopped having a regular social outlet when she stopped going to church, and Chris has followed suit. The neighbors have yet to make their presence known in any CWC media, which we can assume means they stay the hell away. Local business owners just do their job and sell them stuff, nothing more and nothing less (on good days).

-Family? Even if they aren't totally estranged, the 14BC folk are still very much the disconnected oddballs who really have to stretch themselves to find anyone who will let them in. Jonathan Carey, that guy whose wedding the family attended, is Barb's sister's brother-in-law, for example.

True, but why don't they have friends, family or acquaintances now? Because of their selfish, egotistical, and materialistic behaviors. So Barb has the hoard to compensate, the two dysfunctions feed on each other, and we end up with the hellhole that is 14 Branchland.

Stratochu

\
kiwifarms.net
I was scared straight by Barb alone. Was living in a 12x45 singlewide trailer that had a ton of Mel Bay guitar tab books that I never used, boxes of diecast cars that I never opened, assorted 60s/70s/80s electronic items and who knows what else, and I slept in my van unless it was too cold out, then I slept in the beat-up swivel rocker that came with the trailer. then because of Barb, I donated most of it to Goodwill about a month before I moved out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.