Infected Consoomers / Consoomer Culture - Because if it has a recogniseable brand on it, I’d buy it!

• We are being DDoS attacked still and 12,000 people are reading about incest. Expect weird errors. Most should go away by refreshing. Emails (registration / password reset) appear to be working; be sure to check spam.

THE MERGE IS ON.

Vingle

I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars! 百田 解斗
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Free the Pedos

What the fuck's a washing machine doing in a pub?
kiwifarms.net
This guy sits in his consoomer den and stares at plastic.
For those who wisely avoid giving Disney $8 per month, “this is the way” is an oft repeated phrase by Mandalorians in the show The Mandalorian. They’re an austere, Spartan warrior race who prepare to relocate their settlements at a moment’s notice because they’re enemies of the Empire, so hoarding useless future landfill is about the least Mandalorian thing one could do.

The Lawgiver

We all know what happens to alien spies.
kiwifarms.net
Being able to download games on the Switch itself, SD card on like 1TB and in the sky, is a godsend. There is nothing nice about game cartridge boxes and it's wasteful as fuck
Having a physical copy of something is always superior than online DRM based downloads. A ton of of games these days only have their physical edition as a limited release if it's not a first party one which has caused physical game prices to spike up to scalper hell levels on the aftermarket. There's more space efficient methods of storage but having a cartridge box is large enough that you won't easily misplace it. It's a similar frame of reasoning to keeping CD cases.

I don't think there are even enough switch games for this many fucking cases to be displayed like this, fucking guy in those pics is a fucking cosoomer/game hoarder for sure.

Toolbox

Buy dat hell
kiwifarms.net
Having a physical copy of something is always superior than online DRM based downloads. A ton of of games these days only have their physical edition as a limited release if it's not a first party one which has caused physical game prices to spike up to scalper hell levels on the aftermarket. There's more space efficient methods of storage but having a cartridge box is large enough that you won't easily misplace it. It's a similar frame of reasoning to keeping CD cases.

I don't think there are even enough switch games for this many fucking cases to be displayed like this, fucking guy in those pics is a fucking cosoomer/game hoarder for sure.
Might include games from Limited Run and other small time publishers. They're basically the ultimate godsend for consoomers, publishing physical editions/rereleases of old games that have been out of print for ages or big indie games, of course only in small quantities making them artificially "rare".

The Lawgiver

kiwifarms.net
Might include games from Limited Run and other small time publishers. They're basically the ultimate godsend for consoomers, publishing physical editions/rereleases of old games that have been out of print for ages or big indie games, of course only in small quantities making them artificially "rare".
Limited run pisses me right the fuck off with the aritificial scarcity bullshit. It's not just obscure/old rereleases with them. Usually it's just them signing deals with new game releases, worst offender in recent memory being the shit with the scott pilgrim game being a limited run preorder exclusive when the game is made by Ubisoft, who for some reason don't just re-release it no strings attached and have been putting people who wanted it legally available again through the fucking ringer. I ended up begrudgingly preordering it and my copy still hasn't arrived somehow. Fuck limited run. for enabling and contributing to the consoomer mindset of making their releases all "numbered collectibles"

Last edited:

get_ur_gamon

Least racist Hoi4 player
kiwifarms.net
It's like the room was designed by an AI. It seems is located in someone's house, but it has such a strange layout that no sane human would want in their house.

There are no chairs, or any places to rest. You just stand and look at some toys, then you walk out. I suppose it looks more like a gift shop for some local attraction. Not high up on the list of any interior decorator that's for sure. Does this person have so many spare rooms that they can have this shrine without it getting in the way of things. Do guests have to sleep on the sofa because the spare room had to be converted to this bizzare spectacle? Is the shelf against the wall or is there a gap behind it?

After doing some slight digging around because I saw a Funko pop of the fruity pebbles cereal box I uncovered that Funko is doing an entire line of food mascots or just the food itself with the signature soulless stare
View attachment 2357175
It really feels like Funko is just throwing random shit at the wall since there's probably enough OCD collectors out there to buy all of these
If funko made a limited edition Klan figure, there would be some major chimpout on twitter, followed by collectors quietly buying it. The only thing that will stop them is the ticking off the clock, where they will become unfashionable like Beenie Babies.

reGHew9348

Gang of Harleys Official Member
kiwifarms.net
After doing some slight digging around because I saw a Funko pop of the fruity pebbles cereal box I uncovered that Funko is doing an entire line of food mascots or just the food itself with the signature soulless stare
View attachment 2357175
It really feels like Funko is just throwing random shit at the wall since there's probably enough OCD collectors out there to buy all of these
They've started doing a ton of these "toys" that are just straight up advertisements for other products lately. The next stage of consoomer culture.

Doinker Marmalade

Also available as juice.
kiwifarms.net
I might be going against the grain here, but I could at least understand having a big wall display of boxed/carded action figures. At least there's some variety and uniqueness among them, and not just a bunch of clones of the same boxy object with the little beady black eyes.

Sometimes I think I would like a collection of nice things in a display for myself and others to look at, but 'nice things' and arguably 'collection' means things like unusual coins, or vintage watches. Funko Pops and other childrens toys, boxed or not and the "come and stick your face in a fresh trough of plastic crack, you paypiggies" attitude come nowhere close, in my personal opinion.

I commented on this in the 'Retro game price gouging' thread but this is something that has really grown in the last 5-10 years are non gaming gamers, that is, people who buy them for consooming collector reasons or 'investments' and never actually play anything. Assholes like that drive up prices for actual retro gamers who play the things on original hardware. I wish all the 'investors' would fuck off.

Think of the assholes who have rooms with nothing but sealed games. Really reminds me more of hoarding than anything else.

Is it really consooming if the product being consoomed is out of production?

Maybe more akin to hoarding?

I mentioned it in that thread but I think a lot of these idiots collectors think old equals good and just buy because nostalgia. I blame the Stranger Things for that trend.

The way I differentiate between collecting and consooming has a lot to do with the intent of one's purchase.

If you're buying it because:
  • it would objectively look good in your collection
  • you can tell me an interesting story about it
  • you're actually going to use it for its intended purpose
Then that's fine. But, if you're buying it because:
  • you're involved with a community where the social hierarchy is based on whomever has the most junk from a franchise, and you want clout
  • you feel the need to buy it even if you don't really want it, and find yourself doing mental gymnastics to justify it because FOMO
  • you're buying it because it's just cheap and you just get off on buying shit (hoarder mentality lol)
Then that's consooming. Really, the difference between a collector and a consoomer holding a copy of, let's say, Maniac Mansion on NES, would be that the collector could tell you all sorts of interesting stuff about the game. How Nintendo heavily censored it, yet missed the whole thing where you can microwave the hamster on the US version; how they even insisted that they don't call the engine "SCUMM" in the credits because "SCUMM" was too vulgar; or really, just about anything from this article; plus, the whole deal with how there was a completely different Japanese version and a weird-ass TV show that barely had anything to do with the game.

A consoomer would just go "omg 80s!!!! im just like the red haired grrl one on the box lol", and just be more into posting a fucking selfie of themselves holding it up on Reddit than actually playing the game. That also takes it out of circulation, making that one less copy of the game that someone else could actually enjoy. It's wasteful and superficial.

I just like toy dinosaurs and dolls and stuff. I just think they're neat.

There you go, this thread has gone to shit again from big thonking philosophy about the nature of consooming.
We're here to make fun of retards, go to Reddit with that shit.

The Lawgiver

kiwifarms.net
There you go, this thread has gone to shit again from big thonking philosophy about the nature of consooming.
We're here to make fun of retards, go to Reddit with that shit.
quite a few posts you quoted were literally people just talking about how consooming is akin to hoarding and the guys are driving prices of shit up to have a vast quantity of some shit they'll never even use. I'd understand if it was actual consoomer guilt type shit but there's only a few off topic-ish posts you can construe as that in this sea of quotes lmao.

Newman's Lovechild

Better a frog kicker than a frog licker
kiwifarms.net
The inherent dichotomy of collecting memorabilia as compared with purchasing merchandise is fraught with subjective and granular subconscious motivations vis-à-vis the paradigm of the transactory process associated with the accumulation and curation of idiosyncratic curios as it were which stimulate the aesthetic sensibilities or invoke an historical reverence within the individual collector but which may or may not possess a similarly substantial pecuniary value among the market represented by the general populace as juxtaposed with the actively focused commerce of late-stage capitalistic consumer products towards a broader demographic which may be loosely defined as the allegiant audience of popular genre-based media to wit fandom of which ostensible members of their own volition or through corporate influence may feel impelled to acquire licensed materials as an expression of appreciation of their favored broadcasts or publications and so signal to other fans if you will forgive the vernacular contraction their mutual fascination in order to form an emotional psychological connection to an idealized concept of a collective association and as a means to advance their personal prestige and authority among their newly encountered affiliates through a social display intended to indicate their greater id est superior number of relevant procurements which they believe directly correlates to a more significant investment in and devotion to their pop-cultural rallying point than many if not all of their accordant peers.

Kosher Snake

Ofcom can eat shit cuz of Radio Scarborough
kiwifarms.net
Has she ever played any of those games or know anything about them? Does she even appreciate video games at all outside of having those collections? I'm sure the answers are no, but I'm compelled to ask anyway. This feels like one of those fake milestones I was bitching about in the SJW thread. It feels like she wanted to do this to say she's the first black woman to do it. As if this was an achievement in the first place.
i swear to god these people just hijack other subcultures and rot it from the inside
yknow the standard SJW MO

roj

the merge is nigh
kiwifarms.net
He had to beg his wife for 2 years to buy something that costs under $200.
I don't blame the wife but what's with these fucking relationships. If I wanted to go buy something with my own money that I work for as an adult why should I need to convince my girlfriend to let me buy it. I understand that relationships are about compromises but why can't he just go get it, what is the problem? Is he that pussywhipped (yes)?

Free the Pedos

What the fuck's a washing machine doing in a pub?
kiwifarms.net
I don't blame the wife but what's with these fucking relationships. If I wanted to go buy something with my own money that I work for as an adult why should I need to convince my girlfriend to let me buy it. I understand that relationships are about compromises but why can't he just go get it, what is the problem? Is he that pussywhipped (yes)?
I imagine they’re on a monthly budget and $800 is a lot of money to most people. Also, they’re married, so it’s different than you and your girlfriend, who I assume don’t share finances.

Jeff_the_Thriller

Sogg Mead Mugg - like Shrek but drunker
kiwifarms.net
Funko Pop/Star Wars is the ultimate consoomer pay pig. When you think you’ve seen it all, a consoomer refits his basement and lines the walls with 10 cent Chinese plastic toys. This collection makes me physically sick to look at.
I see pool sticks which means that he has friends over who see that. Anyone who sees that isn't thinking "Wow! That sure is neat!" They are experiencing second hand embarrassment.

Moguro Fukuzou

Customer Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed
kiwifarms.net
Funko Pop/Star Wars is the ultimate consoomer pay pig. When you think you’ve seen it all, a consoomer refits his basement and lines the walls with 10 cent Chinese plastic toys. This collection makes me physically sick to look at.
What I find interesting about those pictures is that, as far as I can see, the person hasn't gotten into model kit building and have stayed with lego when it comes to Star wars vehicles. I find it pretty common that a lot of these consoomer types never really go past the easy to collect/display types that require not much work on their end to set up. Like, I have a lot more respect for someone who'd spend their time building those Star wars model kits and making them look nice with paint/weathering since it shows a bit more care in their interests (if that makes sense). Even just an OOB Gunpla build had the person spend several hours actually putting it together.

You could argue that Lego takes time to build, especially with those bigger ones, but they just feel like a step down in my mind.

Fetish Roulette

Round and round and round it goes...
kiwifarms.net
If funko made a limited edition Klan figure, there would be some major chimpout on twitter, followed by collectors quietly buying it. The only thing that will stop them is the ticking off the clock, where they will become unfashionable like Beenie Babies.
I attend a lot of yard sales / tag sales, mostly because they're frequently a great way to get something I've been looking for at a great price (and a bit used, but that's part of the experience). Anyway, one of the things I most frequently find at these sales is large collections of children's toys and stuffed animals whose former owners have outgrown them. Since this is a yard sale, all of these toys are the hottest things from 2007, and I often have "oh, remember X toy" moments when looking at them. I guarantee that sometime in the next 5-10 years, I'm going to come across a dusty pile of Funko crap and go to myself, "oh, remember Funko?"

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Those shelves look fucking disgusting. You can afford thousands of dollars worth of Funko Pops, you can afford to buy some fucking IKEA Billy’s to store them on.