Science Controversial telescope to be built on sacred Hawaiian peak - This is how you get an angry volcano god to destroy your brand new $2Bn telescope

break these cuffs

You must attack the word bastards
kiwifarms.net
It may be shekel-grubbing but it sure sounds justified. It'd be nice if they were a little more honest about that though.
Like I said, I'd have to see actual numbers. I'm not saying the university can't afford it, I just don't know. KAHEA are under the impression that the reserve is being operated at immense profit and I'm not sure that's the case. The center might also never have been built had the lease been different. How much positive economic impact has it had? There are plenty of arid mountains above the clouds. They made a point in a report a decade ago about how the community has lost out on over $500M over the previous decade. I know I'm biased because all I see a bunch of goddamn hippies salivating over money they have no legal right to and may not even exist.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I hate it when the Hawaiians do this bullshit and claim sacred sites. They obviously want the project budget to balloon out of control like with the H-3 Freeway. When they do hippie shit like this it’s costing more tax money that they themselves spend. No wonder Hawaiians are in a perpetual loop of poverty.
Man they have nothing on the Native Americans.

We've lost pristine specimens of early human remains because if something is found that proves the indians didn't exit here during the stone age they claim it's a sacred ancestor and wind up destroying the skeleton.

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
We've lost pristine specimens of early human remains because if something is found that proves the indians didn't exit here during the stone age they claim it's a sacred ancestor and wind up destroying the skeleton.
Anthropology has legitimately always been the most racist scientific field there is. It started as "lol these brown people aren't as advanced as us" and it was racist. Then it became "we have to not hurt brown people's feelings so cover up anything that goes against the narrative" and it's still bad. We should be able to study the fucking infancy of our greatness as a sapient species without a political tug-of-war nuking every find like it's enemy materiel.

ColtWalker1847

kiwifarms.net
30 meter. Holy shit.

This isn't some rink-a-dink scope here. This is ultra-mega-ridiculous scope. The goddamn lens is 100 feet across. It's going to be doing bleeding-edge scientific research from the hop. No wonder it's attracted the usual scumbags looking to bleed some of those research dollars into their own pockets.

To these savage faggots, every blade of grass is sacred.

More importantly: how much do they REALLY care? Most savages are nominally Christian now. Those who aren’t are largely irreligious. How many of them genuinely believe that muh Earth Spirit will smite them for disrespecting their arbitrarily picked mountains and rivers, versus how much of them are just whining for attention?

Fuck AmInds.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cat Menagerie

Thiletonomics

도널드 트럼프 승리의 소금.
kiwifarms.net
I hate it when the Hawaiians do this bullshit and claim sacred sites. They obviously want the project budget to balloon out of control like with the H-3 Freeway. When they do hippie shit like this it’s costing more tax money that they themselves spend. No wonder Hawaiians are in a perpetual loop of poverty.
They also killed off the Superferry, which would have made interisland travel much more convenient, for similar reasons. Also, they protested the recent re-opening of the section of Kuhio Highway in North Kauai that was closed due to a landslide, not to mention their protesting pushed the re-opening date back one month.

You would also think that with all of the things that those crazy Hawaiians considered "sacred", they would have found a way to stop the absolute clown fiesta that is the Oahu Rail Project years ago, by saying the path "goes through a sacred place". But nope, it's just crickets from them.

As for this, I hope no one resorts to doing something stupid, like outright acts of terrorism at the site, just for the sake of "preserving".

Last edited:

Cedric_Eff

I’m the Lord of the Harvest!
kiwifarms.net
They also killed off the Superferry, which would have made interisland travel much more convenient, for similar reasons.

As for this, I hope no one resorts to doing something stupid, like outright acts of terrorism at the site, just for the sake of "preserving".
Call me crazy, but I think the Hawaiians have a tendency of putting themselves in perpetual poverty.

Edit: talked to a buddy of mine in Hawaii, said they shut downed the Superferry because of Coral destruction. But I know that’s total BS because there are other factors in the destruction of the coral reefs in Hawaii (Tourism and diving is one.)

Last edited:

TowinKarz

Thoroughly Unimpressed
kiwifarms.net
You know, "Hawaiian Judge" is the Florida Man of the judiciary. Considering how often they'll gladly commit any and all obstructionist measures the Democrats want by claiming "It's a native thing, you just don't understand" when even the 9th Circuit on the mainland can't find a legal reason to monkey wrench.....

Cedric_Eff

kiwifarms.net
Welcome to Hawaii! Where all government or all modernization projects gets all shot down or protested by morons who perpetually put themselves in a position where their tax money is being wasted on because they didn’t think for a second that their money is being used on some of these projects!!

• Agree
Reactions: Thiletonomics

madethistocomment

welcome to god's mosh pit
kiwifarms.net
Call me crazy, but I think the Hawaiians have a tendency of putting themselves in perpetual poverty.

Edit: talked to a buddy of mine in Hawaii, said they shut downed the Superferry because of Coral destruction. But I know that’s total BS because there are other factors in the destruction of the coral reefs in Hawaii (Tourism and diving is one.)
Legit, the number one cause of reefs becoming damaged in Hawaii is the chemicals in the sunscreen people wear when they go swimming. It washes off their skin and the octinoxate and oxybenzone (in high levels) cause deformities in the fish and makes coral bleach faster. I think it was about a year ago that they put a ban on selling sunscreens there with those two chemicals in it. However, I don't think they're coming down as hard on the tourists for bringing it from the mainland, so who knows how much the ban's gonna help. Poor fishies.

Last edited:

Ped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
Man they have nothing on the Native Americans.

The Kennewick man actually proved that the Native Americans living there were close relatives of the people who had been there many thousands.of years earlier. While morphologically different, he was part of an ancestral population; the races as they exist today were not yet formed.

But destroying the specimen was fucking stupid on the level of antivax.

Cedric_Eff

kiwifarms.net
The Kennewick man actually proved that the Native Americans living there were close relatives of the people who had been there many thousands.of years earlier. While morphologically different, he was part of an ancestral population; the races as they exist today were not yet formed.

But destroying the specimen was fucking stupid on the level of antivax.
Really are Native Americans any better than regular Americans? They’re still humans, they’re obviously gonna do some shitty things.

Ped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
Really are Native Americans any better than regular Americans? They’re still humans, they’re obviously gonna do some shitty things.
I find this reply confusing. Are you trying to make some sort of point? I'll criticize anything I think is stupid; I don't see what race has to do with that.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino