Cooking oils and fats discussion - Crisco: not just for fisting at the bathhouse anymore!

???

International man (?) of mystery
kiwifarms.net
Discuss cooking oils here.

There are 4 types of fats we can digest: trans, saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated. Oils such as Olestra can't be digested by us and are pointless to discuss.

We know that trans fats* are unhealthy. They increase LDL cholesterol, decrease HDL cholesterol, cause inflammation, plaque buildup in blood vessels, and can contribute to cancer. They are also man-made, though I couldn't tell you the chemistry behind them. Margarine and I think Crisco are mostly trans fats, as is popcorn butter.

Saturated fat is found in some proportion in all animal fats and most plant oils. Coconut oil in particular is 100% saturated fat - suitable for vegetarians. For decades saturated fat was the boogeyman of the cooking oil world, mostly due to poorly designed studies and outright biased research funded by sugar manufacturers who wanted to market low-fat (and high sugar) foods to Americans. Recent research indicates that sugar is the primary cause of the modern obesity epidemic, primarily by preventing the body from entering fat burning mode and instead preferentially using glycogen (a complex carb found in animal muscle tissues) for energy.

If an oil is solid at room temperature, it's probably saturated fat.

Though it varies based on genetics and ancestry, most European people of non-Mediteranean descent can replace all fats in their diets with saturated fats to no ill effect... provided, of course, you exercise and eat in moderation. Meds should stick to olive oil, or perhaps peanut oil for sweet dishes like pancakes.

Generally, you should eat what your ancestors ate. That's what they evolved with, so it stands to reason it should work for you too.

The best sources for saturated fat are coconut oil, pork lard, beef tallow, and butter. Coconut oil doesn't have much natural flavor, which can be good or bad depending on the dish. It burns at very high temperatures, so it's excellent for frying as it won't smoke unless you are one of those morons who fries at maximum heat. Pork lard and beef tallow have unique flavors, and lend themselves very well to fried foods, breads, cakes, cookies, brownies, and fudge. Fish and chips fried in beef tallow is far superior to any other oil.

Saturated fats make baked goods thicker, richer, more flavorful, and creamier. Never substitute anything for saturated fat in baked goods.

Saturated fats, in moderation and in combination with a high protein diet, are ideal for fat loss via carbohydrate avoidance and intermittent fasting.

Mono- and polyunsaturated fats are liquid at room temperature and tend to oxidize (spoil) over time. They are mostly found in plant fats, especially oils derived from seeds, grains, beans, and tree nuts. One of them - I can never remember which - oxidizes readily in the body, leading to formation of free radicals, inflammation, DNA damage, and eventually heart disease and cancer. They should be used only with foods heavy in antioxidants like vitamins C and A.

*Not to be confused with fat trannies.

Last edited:

Promestein

Stayしがちなイメージだらけの 頼りない翼でも きっと飛べるさ
kiwifarms.net
Would you say that unprocessed lard, like, straight from the pork, is as bad as people claim it to be?

???

kiwifarms.net
Would you say that unprocessed lard, like, straight from the pork, is as bad as people claim it to be?
If by processing you mean sifting out all the meat, then unless you're using it for something savory I wouldn't try it unprocessed. It won't not last as long since the meaty bits will go bad fast relative to the lard. Though you could divide it into 8 ounce packets and freeze it, only thawing as you use it.

I do know that lard depends on the diet of the pig, and will vary in fat type. Different parts of the body have different types of fat due to various things.

If by processing you mean changing the oil contents via chemistry then I would avoid processing.

This forum post has more information:

As does the Wikipedia article:

One last thing, some ethnic groups - Eskimo/Inuit, Mongolian, and some hunter-gatherers - are almost obligate carnivores and should not eat any sugar and most complex carbs.

Africans have eaten shea butter for thousands of years, so any of those folks reading this should consider it if they can find it as food-grade.

dopy

professional f*nposter
kiwifarms.net
processed seed oils are bad

coconut oil and olive oil are good

• Agree
Reactions: ???

Slappy McGherkin

Bartender? Make that a double.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a completely new take on oils in general after buying a Gourmia Air Fryer. I just don't use them anymore, other than a dab of olive or garlic wok oil for stir fry or other non-Air Fryer dishes. Can't recall ever using lard for anything, but do know the Mexicans here in the southwest use it for tortillas and all kinds of stuff. I love fried foods, but have always avoided them until the Air Fryer. Really was a game changer for doing chicken wings, french fries and so many other things.

Prince Lotor

My dad is a fish-person. My mom fucks fish-people.
kiwifarms.net
On the topic of saturated fats it's also important to note that cholesterol is an essential building block in your body. The primary source of cholesterol is your body's own production of it in your liver that it synthesizes our of saturated fats, sugars, and protein.
If you are trying to prevent elevated blood/cholesterol levels from causing a buildup of plaque in your arteries you should try to limit your consumption of saturated fats and refined sugars. Dietary consumption of cholesterol would only be indicated if you were eating like 6 eggs a day or something. Saturated fats are an essential part of a healthy diet but it's important to keep that consumption at healthy levels.

Also popcorn popped in olive oil on the stove-top is fucking delicious and my favorite way to eat it, no butter necessary. Olive oil does have a lower smoke-point though so you have to pay attention and probably turn on a hood-vent.

???

kiwifarms.net
On the topic of saturated fats it's also important to note that cholesterol is an essential building block in your body. The primary source of cholesterol is your body's own production of it in your liver that it synthesizes our of saturated fats, sugars, and protein.
If you are trying to prevent elevated blood/cholesterol levels from causing a buildup of plaque in your arteries you should try to limit your consumption of saturated fats and refined sugars. Dietary consumption of cholesterol would only be indicated if you were eating like 6 eggs a day or something. Saturated fats are an essential part of a healthy diet but it's important to keep that consumption at healthy levels.

Also popcorn popped in olive oil on the stove-top is fucking delicious and my favorite way to eat it, no butter necessary. Olive oil does have a lower smoke-point though so you have to pay attention and probably turn on a hood-vent.
The primary cause of artery clogging plaque is being obese. If you stay thin through intermittent fasting and a keto-ish diet, you can eat saturated fat with no issues.

Prince Lotor

My dad is a fish-person. My mom fucks fish-people.
kiwifarms.net
The primary cause of artery clogging plaque is being obese. If you stay thin through intermittent fasting and a keto-ish diet, you can eat saturated fat with no issues.
I assume if you are obese you are likely overconsuming saturated fats, simple carbohydrates, and refined sugars to an unhealthy level. If you are staying within your TDEE and eating relatively healthy I doubt you would be exceeding a healthy level of saturated fat consumption to the point that it could have serious detrimental effects.
I'm not as familiar with keto and or a higher fats/low to no-carb diet though so I'm not sure. More just pointing out that recently dietary cholesterol consumption has been shown to be much less impactful on maintaining healthy blood/cholesterol levels than the overconsumption of certain other macros can be.

• Agree

Judge Holden

Corpsefucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a strong preference for Lard. Cheap as shit, tastes divine, and extremely versatile in a wide range of foodstuffs. Other similar fats like Beef Drippings I dont have much experience using, but seem to have a similar set of advantages

Butter I tend to use only when preparing cakes and sweetbreads, but also as a general non high heat cooking fat when I dont have any lard around. Easily my second favourite.

Olive oil I usually only use with regional cuisines like italian or greek or middle eastern that specifically call for it.

Vegetable oil I try to stay as far away as possible from due both to how processed it is, and the fact it tastes like ass

Reactions: Crystal Golem

rigors

kiwifarms.net
processed seed oils are bad

coconut oil and olive oil are good
Coconut oil is a meme.

There is no reason to use any oil in most balanced western recipes imo. Certain cuisines such as Italian or Greek may call for olive oil, but there's no reason to add it to a random meal just because it sounds good. As @Slappy McGherkin said, an air fryer will remove any need to use oil for crispy food.

Chamulum

kiwifarms.net
Coconut oil is a meme.

There is no reason to use any oil in most balanced western recipes imo. Certain cuisines such as Italian or Greek may call for olive oil, but there's no reason to add it to a random meal just because it sounds good. As @Slappy McGherkin said, an air fryer will remove any need to use oil for crispy food.
It tastes delicious though.

Orion Balls

Now in glorious 3D!
kiwifarms.net
I use self rendered lard for most things. Living in bumblefuck has its benefits.

*Edit* I will sautee veg in oo, if it is brief, and the recipe lends itself to that flavour profile. I enjoy sesame oil for its high smoke temp, and deep flavour, for any rice dish. But in general, bacon grease, or lard.

Last edited:

Crystal Golem

Къэфкъас шӀуцӀэ
kiwifarms.net
Just going to add in that I agree with using butter for baked goods with two exceptions: Olive oil brownies/blondies and crackers. I know it sounds gross off the bat but olive oil and cocoa or cinammon mix to give this unreal depth of flavor.

Reactions: MerriedxReldnahc

Whatthefuck

kiwifarms.net
It depends on what I'm cooking. I'll render beef fat for yorkshire puddings as it tastes amazing and has a higher smoke point, but lard is a perfectly good choice regardless of it's reputation. I love ghee for sautes and I'm from the south so we just straight up use unsalted butter for many things. I find that margarine or products like it don't give the flavor I'm looking for and, frankly, the health benefits aren't enough to compensate for that as they're practically non-existent. I use olive oil for anything pasta related. Everything in moderation, I suppose.

Zamzz

kewl cat
kiwifarms.net
In general you should use as little cooking oil as possible, we can get all the essential fatty acids that we need from meat, fatty fish, nuts seeds and certain fruit such as avocados. Some foods are better off being eaten cooked rather than raw though from a taste and nutrition perspective , so if I'm cooking something where I have to fry it I always use olive oil.

Buster O'Keefe

Enjoys offal
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like goose and duck fat for roasting potatos, or confitting (is that a word?) and frying duck.

Seed Pod Tits

kiwifarms.net
I deep fry in peanut oil (it's expensive but if you must deep fry and want to use a fryer and therefore probably want to avoid the ballache of emptying and cleaning a solid fat it's what I'd recommend from a health perspective). Other than that it's coconut oil for its MCT properties for stir/shallow frying and if butter has to get involved it's grass fed only. Big difference between that and the other stuff.

Zamzz

kewl cat
kiwifarms.net
I deep fry in peanut oil (it's expensive but if you must deep fry and want to use a fryer and therefore probably want to avoid the ballache of emptying and cleaning a solid fat it's what I'd recommend from a health perspective). Other than that it's coconut oil for its MCT properties for stir/shallow frying and if butter has to get involved it's grass fed only. Big difference between that and the other stuff.
Peanut oil is tasty af but I heard it's unhealthy when heated to high temperatures so I tend to avoid it.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino