COPS is cancelled

albert the programmer

Programming and fixing up computers in 2022
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
:(

Whatcha gonna do when the woke mob comes for you?

Cops — the long-running reality series following police officers on high-speed chases, drug busts, and other dangerous missions — has been cancelled after a more than 30-year run as anti-police sentiment continues to sweep through Hollywood following last month’s death of George Floyd while in Minneapolis police custody.

The Paramount Network has decided not to bring Cops back after it put the show on hiatus last week in the midst of #BlackLivesMatter protests and growing demands to defund police departments around the country.

“Cops is not on the Paramount Network and we don’t have any current or future plans for it to return,” a network spokesperson told multiple outlets on Tuesday.

The ViacomCBS-owned cable channel has publicly supported the #BlackLivesMatter movement, saying in a recent tweet that “these racist and brutal attacks must end.”

All ViacomCBS-owned went dark for eight minutes and 46 seconds on June 1 with an “I Can’t Breathe” message as a tribute to George Floyd. Even the kid-oriented Nickelodeon participated in the corporate-sponsored blackout.

Cops first aired in 1989 on Fox and became a massive hit, running for 25 seasons before the network canceled it in 2013. Spike TV, which is now the Paramount Network, revived the show for an additional seven seasons, while old episodes continued to run on WGN America and the Paramount-owned PlutoTV streaming service.

The Paramount Network yanked the show from its schedule last week as anti-police sentiment crescendoed in the wake of #BlackLivesMatter protests and riots.

Police-themed TV shows now face an uncertain future as demands to defund the police continue to gather steam. A&E has put its Live PD documentary series on indefinite hold. Sony’s L.A.’s Finest was scheduled to debut on Spectrum, but has been postponed until later this year, according to Deadline.

Law & Order: SVU showrunner Warren Leight told The Hollywood Reporter that he agrees that cops are portrayed “too positively” on screen.

“Collectively? Yes. Individually am I miscontributing to society? I don’t know. Collectively, are we? Yeah,” he said.

Numerous celebrities have backed the call to defund the police, including John Legend, Lizzo, Natalie Portman, and Susan Sarandon.

albert the programmer

Programming and fixing up computers in 2022
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Were people actually still watching that show?
Live PD is next!
lol
Then hopefully all of those stupid cop dramas.
This could be a good thing.
As optimistic as you sound, I wonder if we’re at the “slippery slope” stage of people thinking getting COPS or Live PD cancelled on TV is going to help “defund the police”.

God forbid if they ever get their hands on Paw Patrol.

Strange Wilderness

kiwifarms.net
From my post in https://kiwifarms.net/threads/shut-down-all-police-movies-and-tv-shows-now.70674/
No! How am I going to get my fix of shirtless meth-heads explaining that the drugs aren't theirs because the car is stolen.

I hope the WokeTards go for Paw Patrol.
Way to Redpill Gen Alpha!
Millennial's lose their show about real cops busting druggies; Zoomers lose their show about cartoon dogs saving people from whatever it is they do. This will break the conditioning.

Rotollo

"Consider Euthanasia!"
kiwifarms.net
COPS was kinda crap. They always tried to 'balance' the episodes - equal white, black, mexican.
Good riddance. TBH, I thought it was gone decades ago...

Also - why was it on Spike? Shouldn't it be on BET ?
Yeah but the real loss in all this is possibly the fate of live PD which is basically "What if cops was good?"

frozenrunner

Bracing himself for an even worse 2022
kiwifarms.net
This show probably cost damn near nothing to produce. All they had to do was have a camera guy follow cops on routine calls, then edit the footage into episodes. (And maybe do some extra foley work, I don't know.) I'm sure that's why the show lasted so long.

Sad to see it go, but I thought it ended in the early 2000s, so...