Covering up the camera could damage your laptop: Apple - "Don't cover your camera, goyim"

Zero Day Defense

Shave your face with some mace in the dark
kiwifarms.net
Yes I know, everybody has seen the dozens of twitter posts, /pol/ threads, telegram messages, etc. that this "glows", really fresh and relevant commentary on a 5 day old story that has been posted everywhere with that caption.
However dear user, have you actually considered not being a raging sped and reading into the article about why this is said?

Because Apple has shit computers a little bit of tape on for two long with pressure is enough to damage the camera, if you use a thinner strip and take it off before you close it's not a problem.
Maybe they should make computers that don't evaporate upon touching the ground instead of making a spooky-wooky bioluminescent article.

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
kiwifarms.net
First of all, it's important to know that companies (especially tech related companies) are not the same as they were decades ago where they build something that lasts a really long time. Companies now-a-days purposely build their shit to not last long so that they can scam people into buying the "latest" version of said product (I.E. Planned Obsolescence). Look at ThinkPads now compared to before. Before, the keyboards were of higher quality and you could bash this thing against a wall or drop it off of a building and it would still work like a charm. Now, majority of their laptops are less durable and uses shit chiclet keyboards. So when I read that sticking tape or sticky-note on an apple laptop will crack the screen, it doesn't surprise me. This is the same company that rushes a new phone out the door every year that winds up being poorly bug-tested and then fixed a week/month later with an update.

However, if you really are paranoid about the webcam (which in this day and age nobody blames you) all you have to do is a quick google search to find that laptops without cameras DO exist, or even look up laptop buying guides like this one. Or even better, DON'T buy laptops and just go straight to a desktop because not only do they not come with any cameras, but laptops are always under-performed in comparison to desktops.

Trump's Chosen

Jolly Rager
kiwifarms.net
Are you accusing a user who registered 7 days after the Christchurch shooting of glowposting?!?
Yeah! He he... what a... eh... very suspicious timing! But uhh.... maybe we shouldn't look at people's join date in relation to the 15 march christchurch shooting. That kind of uhhh witch hunt helps nobody!

Last edited:

Absolutego

Middleman who didn't do diddly
kiwifarms.net
Yeah this is BS, my carefully applied duct tape has not broken a series of MacBooks.
Apple's likely talking about those little rinky-dink plastic adhesive covers companies started handing out internally when employees made tape-based ones en masse out of privacy concerns. Those could definitely break a display as fragile as a MacBook's, if the lid's swung down with enough force. And IT departments chock full of authority, but lacking in talent, have been forcing everyone to use those over just sticking some tape over the camera for years now.

Basil II

my dimension is augmented
kiwifarms.net
It probably will break your display but only because apple specifically designed it to.

wokelizard

kiwifarms.net
I feel like there could be a market for selling gullible and rich apple owners privacy shields made out of atom-thick gold leaf for 50 bucks a piece. Plus special applicator brushes for another 50 dollars.

Obreon

Quite an experience to live in fear...
kiwifarms.net
Not only are apple products shit, but their "geniuses" aren't qualified to actually repair your device. Want another device because you got a defective piece of trash? ok, under certain circumstances they might give you one... surprise! surprise! it's refurbished! Oh, wait, humidity sensors were triggered? well, that means it has liquid damage (not necessarily true) , so go fuck yourself.

Apple knows how shitty their products are, and that only retards buy them. This is why they abuse their customers; because they deserve it.

Last edited:

Noideawhattopick

kiwifarms.net
To topic: fuck apple.
Now a question to tech guys:
My HP Laptop has a camera too, since I never use it and don't trust anybody I uninstalled the camera over hardware manager.
Is there still a way for russian-china-covid-hackers to access my camera?

Archie_Kimkicker

kiwifarms.net
To topic: fuck apple.
Now a question to tech guys:
My HP Laptop has a camera too, since I never use it and don't trust anybody I uninstalled the camera over hardware manager.
You may want to check that the driver is still uninstalled after any major Windows update, system restore, or any time you perform a built-in "fix my issues" utility. Sometimes things magically re-appear after getting rid of them in the modern Windows ecosystem.

As to malware, whatever malicious payload is executed would have to either re-activate/reinstall your camera hardware, or incorporate a driver of its own, which is a lot more work than most attackers care to undertake.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Something that is really discrete, thin and blends well against the black bezel is blood. Lifehack: prick your thumb and press it against the camera or do it on your co-workers computers as a prank!

• Winner
Reactions: Robert Sanvagene

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Better is disabling the camera in the BIOS if that's an option.
Best is physically disconnecting it.

• Agree
Reactions: Robert Sanvagene
Tags
None