Covering up the camera could damage your laptop: Apple - "Don't cover your camera, goyim"

The Lawgiver

We all know what happens to alien spies.
kiwifarms.net
Unless they changed this, don't macbooks come with that really thin bit of clear tape over the screen and camera protecting it when you first open them? They come folded up too, so that's really fucking odd.
At best, this is them trying to do some PR marketing stunt "ownage" against some of the more paranoid consumers of tech.
Considering the forced 64 bit on the newest OS screwing over a lot of normal computer features for "increased speed" with no real visible changes aside from "a bunch of useful programs and popular video games no longer work but everything new still runs like ass" I gotta wonder how deep this corporate international surveillance state shit goes.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Medafag and Dergint

Pond Scum

Disgusting!
kiwifarms.net
Or even better, DON'T buy laptops and just go straight to a desktop because not only do they not come with any cameras, but laptops are always under-performed in comparison to desktops.
True, but portability is god for people that have to take computers to school and work.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So, uh, if the screens are that fragile, what's stopping any random bored teenager from going to an Apple Store and just flicking the screen on the most expensive MacBooks and then claiming they thought they saw a bug or something?

Cover it with sharpie. There. Problem solved.
Regular marker ink is too thin, use a paint marker instead.

Last edited:
  • DRINK!
Reactions: Niggernerd

Qajinima022

Sweets Lover
kiwifarms.net
I put one strip of duct tape on my HP laptop and dead macbook I forgot the password for and my HP laptop still works perfectly fine.

moocow

Moo.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Considering the forced 64 bit on the newest OS screwing over a lot of normal computer features for "increased speed" with no real visible changes aside from "a bunch of useful programs and popular video games no longer work but everything new still runs like ass" I gotta wonder how deep this corporate international surveillance state shit goes.
It's been said eloquently already in this thread, but Apple goes beyond just not caring about its customers. It actively and aggressive hates and abuses its customers, and it's because they deserve it for being dumb enough to buy Apple's products. Apple happily overcharges for badly designed, under-powered and poorly-manufactured products and does all it can to avoid honoring warranties or providing service. There is no single Apple product that isn't implemented better by someone else, usually at a fraction of the price.

Apple buyers are a special brand of stupid. I'll never understand the fierce loyalty they develop for the brand.

It would not surprise me in the slightest for Apple to be openly cooperating with the feds to provide active, on-demand surveillance of any and all Apple product users, from iPhones to Macs. They have no qualms with screwing their customers deep and hard anyway, so they'd happily take an extra few dump trucks full of cash from Uncle Sam to share the spyware they've already built into their products.

thx1138

Are you now, or have you ever been?
kiwifarms.net
Apple's shit support and shit design are as old as time itself.

I had friends with Apple III desktops who can confirm that yes indeedy you had to pick them up and drop them to reseat the chips that would creep out of their sockets due to overheating because Jobs hated cooling fans. Apple products fucking suck, they've always been about design over function.

• Agree
Reactions: The Real SVP

Exterminate Leftists

Who needs nuance when you have a helicopter?
kiwifarms.net
You're an obnoxious tit who insults people for no reason. Nobody cares what you think, and nobody will ever care, because you are physically incapable of not making even the most reasonable, sensible and self-evident truth seem like the ravings of a paranoid NRA member. You're always mad at something, and can never resist the urge to act smug and condescending. We judge you on that basis before we look at your join date or anything else about you, fuckwit.
This is all Canadians. Fake politeness masking passive aggressive liberal anger. Our worst neighbor

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah I can see why to be paranoid, but I can believe that a mix of "apple is that shit" and "apple users are that dumb" that there were people taping sandpaper to it or something similarly stupid.
honestly if I'm going to be paranoid enough that THEM are watching me on my gizmos then I'll be paranoid to assume there's other cameras in random crap too so covering the gizmos is a bit of a waste of time

The Real SVP

kiwifarms.net
if I'm going to be paranoid enough that THEM are watching me
It"s not just them. It's anybody with access to your computer and anybody in control of the software you use. Including web-apps. There have been plenty of cases of administrators perving on students or employees via the cameras in their school or work computers.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It"s not just them. It's anybody with access to your computer and anybody in control of the software you use. Including web-apps. There have been plenty of cases of administrators perving on students or employees via the cameras in their school or work computers.
I'm very openminded about who my THEMs might be.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole
Tags
None