Disaster Covington Catholic faces backlash after viral video at DC march - 4/11 WaPo countering lawsuit. Should get interesting.

MasterDisaster

Hobo King of the Parsnip Pixies.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's no real innocent party in this scenario. Now before I get stoned to death for my lack of alignment I want to point out that I've been stewing over this whole debacle for most of this week, constantly checking for updates and watching this shitstorm devolve into what I consider one of the saddest and easily just as embarassing moments in US history.

To start things off I don't think any of the parties are wholly resposible for what happened; regardless of those involved there's no doubt something stupid was going to happen in this situation. My blame falls entirely on social media because this has proven, without a benefit of a doubt, that the actual news media is now reliant on the internet in order to gather information.

Turning a teenage boy into the poster child for racism is hardly a proper response for any 'legitimate' news network but doubling down to save face is even worse. What equals out to a few months of ratings and sensationalism results in the complete destruction of someones life.

The one part about all this that really irks me is the fact that all media outlets are so strung up on 'muh racizms' that they completely overlook the fact that despite two groups of adults essentially ganging up on teenagers there wasn't any acts of violence. No pushing, no shoving...yeah, everyone was acting like an ass but they weren't beating the shit out of each other. Then you've got assholes trying to take the moral high ground while calling for violence; what kind of backwards ass logic is that?

JohnDoe

April Showers bring the smell of wet fur.
kiwifarms.net
There's no real innocent party in this scenario.
What was Sandmann supposed to do when an adult stranger wades through his crowd of friends and beats a drum inches from his nose while death-staring him? Should he have fallen to his knees and prostrated himself for the sins of the 19th century? Turned his back on the stranger and walk away with purpose? What was the appropriate, 'innocent' action?

How did he transgress?

There's no real innocent party in this scenario. Now before I get stoned to death for my lack of alignment I want to point out that I've been stewing over this whole debacle for most of this week, constantly checking for updates and watching this shitstorm devolve into what I consider one of the saddest and easily just as embarassing moments in US history.
Ok... have you actually watched the video? Seriously, have you watched it? Because I don't see how you watch it and say there's no innocent party. There's the kids that were there, doing their thing demonstrating on their own, some fucking absolute crazies start harassing them, which they handle with supreme grace, then mr. Indian gets involved. He gets directly in the kid's face, the kid who looks incredibly uncomfortable, and bangs his drum, with the kid visibly wincing because he's hitting it so close to his face.

Meanwhile, the classmates keep saying "What's going on over there? What's happening?" because their classmate has been surrounded by these crazies. The class starts chanting along with the indian (He even says this, although he says it's because his magical peace drum calmed them down).

Honestly, with just what's on the video, I wouldn't be that mad at the indian. He might have actually sort of defused the situation. EXCEPT! He then went on to fabricate a story that didn't match what actually happened at all, where the kids surrounded him and threatened him.

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net

To start things off I don't think any of the parties are wholly resposible for what happened; regardless of those involved there's no doubt something stupid was going to happen in this situation. My blame falls entirely on social media because this has proven, without a benefit of a doubt, that the actual news media is now reliant on the internet in order to gather information.

Turning a teenage boy into the poster child for racism is hardly a proper response for any 'legitimate' news network but doubling down to save face is even worse. What equals out to a few months of ratings and sensationalism results in the complete destruction of someones life.

The one part about all this that really irks me is the fact that all media outlets are so strung up on 'muh racizms' that they completely overlook the fact that despite two groups of adults essentially ganging up on teenagers there wasn't any acts of violence. No pushing, no shoving...yeah, everyone was acting like an ass but they weren't beating the shit out of each other. Then you've got assholes trying to take the moral high ground while calling for violence; what kind of backwards ass logic is that?
The kid stands there silently? "He's got a smug look because he's thinking about how fun slavery and genocide is, let's ruin his life."
The kid shouts back or tries to do his school cheer or whatever to drown out the drums? "He's stealing a poc's voice and minimizing his pain by dominating the discussion, let's ruin his life."
The kid backs off, peacefully walks away while trying to demonstrate humility and avoid confrontation? "He's refusing to stand and hear the poc's pain, what a monster for not owning up to all the slaves he personally owned 200 years ago, let's ruin his life."
There are precisely zero hypothetical circumstances under which these children would be allowed the presumption of innocence, because they are guilty of being white while wearing red hats and god damn it all to hell we will find something to pin on them so that our bedmates Kathy Griffin and Chris Evans and my favorite fucking congresstoken Ilhan Omar don't have to face a libel suit or harassment charges.

I'm just going to quote myself from 10 pages ago because there's no reason to type it again in different words:

Anyone who uses the "the media may be wrong, but the kids still acted shitty, fault on both sides" disingenuous copout is also arguing that cops shouldn't have beaten up that unarmed and surrendering black guy, but he was being uppity so there's fault on both sides. Those frat boys shouldn't have filmed themselves molesting a blacked out drunk girl, but she shouldn't have gone to that party or dressed like that so there's fault on both sides. A man shouldn't beat the piss out of his wife, but she said she'd do the dishes and she didn't so there's fault on both sides. Banning all muslims from coming to your country is wrong, but they should've renounced their religion and become atheist because they know that some islamists are violent terrorists, so there's fault on both sides.
That's you. You're pulling the "fault on both sides" handwringing, and you're full of shit.

MasterDisaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That's you. You're pulling the "fault on both sides" handwringing, and you're full of shit
No, you're right in that regard and I agree that no matter how that kid responded he'd have been labeled negatively. Like you said, walks away, rude. Argues back, racist. Mocks him, Hitler. There was no winning in this. The negative responses directed solely at him is bullshit. When I say no one in innocent in this I was being far too blunt but you're right, it does make me sound full of shit.

Too clarify I'm 100% on Sandmanns side. He stood and took shit from someone nearly three times his age and didn't lose his cool. The same can't be said for his fellow students but as you stated @Alec Benson Leary there was no way this wasn't already going to turn into a recipe for disaster. I said no group was truly innocent in this and and that was poorly worded. Out of three groups involved the ones that acted the least childish were the actual children.

...This is generally why I avoid politics. I never put into words what me btain be thinking be right first time around.

Last edited:
No, you're right in that regard and I agree that no matter how that kid responded he'd have been labeled negatively. Like you said, walks away, rude. Argues back, racist. Mocks him, Hitler. There was no winning in this. The negative responses directed solely at him is bullshit. When I say no one in innocent in this I was being far too blunt but you're right, it does make me sound full of shit.
You know.... I've seen this sort of thing on kiwi farms more than anywhere else on the internet...

A person makes an assertion. They are challenged on that assertion. They take in the other argument, and say "Oh yeah, you're right".

It's fucking beautiful. I've done it, I've seen it happen. People seem to actually honestly engage here. What is it about KF that makes that happen here?

It's a good reminder that when I'm here, I should avoid the hostility that rules the rest of the internet, because many of the discussions are happening in good faith. So, sorry for my past and future instances of such hostile behavior.

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
It's fucking beautiful. I've done it, I've seen it happen. People seem to actually honestly engage here. What is it about KF that makes that happen here?
I really think it's no more complex than that our culture and rules say that no one's feelings are more important than another's and there is no belief or position that is too sacred to challenge. I might be offended if someone says that all niggers should have their dicks glued together so that we can then kill them for being faggots, but the fact that I can't stop you from saying that also means no one can be stopped from challenging actual popularly sanctified ideas like "don't disagree with the mainstream media" and that is far more important to the bulk of us.

And thanks for owning up @MasterDisaster. We all say things poorly sometimes but you certainly won't get good dialogue out of it over on Somethingawful.

MasterDisaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You know.... I've seen this sort of thing on kiwi farms more than anywhere else on the internet...

A person makes an assertion. They are challenged on that assertion. They take in the other argument, and say "Oh yeah, you're right".

It's a good reminder that when I'm here, I should avoid the hostility that rules the rest of the internet, because many of the discussions are happening in good faith. So, sorry for my past and future instances of such hostile behavior.
I think it helps the Kiwi Farms is such a massive melting pot; people of every nation, color, sexuality and political standing all getting together to laugh at other idiots isn't something you can just find anywhere. Even our most prolific shitposter will post something insightful and informative if given the proper topic.
And thanks for owning up @MasterDisaster. We all say things poorly sometimes but you certainly won't get good dialogue out of it over on Somethingawful
I genuinely appreciate you guys calling me out for my poorly worded shit. It's candor like that that made me go back and reread just how off-putting it really was. I'll leave as is for posterity; to show how my fellow forum members helped dislodge my head from my rectum.

Last edited:

heathercho

あかんで !
kiwifarms.net

He was screwed from the get go, because he's white. That was all. The nervous face he had just made it worse. I can understand that to a degree.

You know, in Korea, there's been numerous female Kpop stars that have had to formally apologize because of their tired resting bitchface. They'll be exhausted and may have a plain expression and it will blow up as a big story about what a horrible, hateful bitch the girl is. Netizens would send death threats. It was autistic. I used to think thank fuck it's not like that in the west.....

But here we are. Like at the end of the day, he wore a hat and had a nervous smile. He shouldn't have worn the hat maybe, but if we say that here, then we have to say that about rape victims who look like prostitutes. Or better yet, go back to chastity belts.

Going after someone for a dumb smile is what people did in the Salem witchtrials. I'm pretty sure at this stage that says more about progressivism than it should.

Social media has made idiots more idiotic.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I think part of it is that so many people with threads of their own are noticed in no small part for their refusal to say they were wrong about something.

So there's lots of great cautionary tales in immediate reach showing the eventual outcome of refusing to accept that I can be wrong about things.

Ma_Hooty

Personality trait that best describes you: Tired
kiwifarms.net

I really think it's no more complex than that our culture and rules say that no one's feelings are more important than another's and there is no belief or position that is too sacred to challenge. I might be offended if someone says that all niggers should have their dicks glued together so that we can then kill them for being faggots, but the fact that I can't stop you from saying that also means no one can be stopped from challenging actual popularly sanctified ideas like "don't disagree with the mainstream media" and that is far more important to the bulk of us.

And thanks for owning up @MasterDisaster. We all say things poorly sometimes but you certainly won't get good dialogue out of it over on Somethingawful.
What the hell, guys? We're supposed to be le ebil Kiwi Farms (as seen on The Guardian, New York Times, The Atlantic-) don't taint that image with being rational and good-natured!

Hot take from Tim - he also bailed out on Twitter, I don't think I've seen Tim "Repeat my alignment, lest my beanie escape its confinement" Pool be this pissed off in a long time, if ever.

And here he points out that the news outlets are nothing but commentary rags; also states that whoever called Chief Snake Tongue a Vietnam veteran even after this was throughly debunked is libelous - even if the kids were harassing him, stating that he's a veteran is still an act of libel (he sounded real sure about it, but INAL.

Also, since Chief Runs with Hoteps lied about being a frontline war veteran, isn't that stolen valor?

Ruin

Mercenary Slut
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty sure Jace said there's specific activities you need to use your alleged service for, like running for politics or something. It's not just standing around being a goofball.
This guy used to be a speaker for native advocacy organizations right? If he used his past as a combat veteran as a basis to obtain speaking gigs that woud probably qualify.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino