Cowboy Bebop Thread - Live-Action Adaptation just premiered (it looks like shit)

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is green
kiwifarms.net
They completely ruined the fact Asimov and Katerina were reflections of Spike and Julia.
I'm completely astounded at their ability to take so many of the original's plotlines then rewrite them in an objectively inferior way while keeping the most superficial elements of it. It's like a high budget bootleg. At some point they must have watched the anime to be able to get so much of it wrong in such oddly specific ways, like making LeFou afraid of dogs instead of cats and then tying Ein into that. The fact that they appeared to understand that there was a parallel between Asimov and Katarina with Spike and Julia at all but could only adapt it in their own work as "SPIKE KEEPS HAVING JULIA FLASHBACKS WHEN HE SEES KAT'S FACE" is like.... I can't comprehend it.

Also, I'm not a Redditor but I'm starting to get why people mock it when one of the most upvoted posts their is 'we need to apologise to John Cho'. Lmao no you don't, and don't rally other people into your cucked opinion.

TVBForever

kiwifarms.net
Apologies for double post.

Some of the sets give me "Cowboy Bebop meets Idiocracy" vibes, is Spike going to order an EXTRA BIG ASS TACO at Carl's Jr (fuck you, I'm eating!) and then go shop at Costco? (welcome to Coscto, I love you)

I hope we get a cameo from my favorite Bebop character, Beef Supreme!
I don't know if anyone is on the same page with me here, but if Mike Judge directed a live-action Cowboy Bebop, it's would've been good (like how Wachowskis did with Speed Racer or how Cameron/Rodriguez did with Alita), or at the least, still better than Netflix's bullcrap here.

Shadfan666xxx000

kiwifarms.net
I don't know if anyone is on the same page with me here, but if Mike Judge directed a live-action Cowboy Bebop, it's would've been good (like how Wachowskis did with Speed Racer or how Cameron/Rodriguez did with Alita), or at the least, still better than Netflix's bullcrap here.
Mike Judge would do an interesting twist on it but I don't know about good. Judge primarily does comedy and while he's down to earth, the focus tends to be lighthearted more than anything else. Cowboy Bebop is a very dry and melancholic show and while it's certainly fun, the main tilt of the shows attitude tends towards managing depression and moving on from the past. It'd not smirking with its setting.

Mr. Zed da Robot Poon Fed

Goooooooooood!
kiwifarms.net
I'm completely astounded at their ability to take so many of the original's plotlines then rewrite them in an objectively inferior way while keeping the most superficial elements of it. It's like a high budget bootleg. At some point they must have watched the anime to be able to get so much of it wrong in such oddly specific ways, like making LeFou afraid of dogs instead of cats and then tying Ein into that. The fact that they appeared to understand that there was a parallel between Asimov and Katarina with Spike and Julia at all but could only adapt it in their own work as "SPIKE KEEPS HAVING JULIA FLASHBACKS WHEN HE SEES KAT'S FACE" is like.... I can't comprehend it.
I've noticed this a lot with these anime adaptations like Ghost in the Shell and virtually every other adaptation in anything. They rewrite the scenario to make it inferior and nonsensical, and I have to ask....why? Even Star Wars technically did this with the sequel trilogy.

If they just did a beat-by-beat remake of the original instead of pulling this shit, I wouldn't be as assmad as I am now with this shit.

Last edited:

Chilson

kiwifarms.net
I've noticed this a lot with these anime adaptations like Ghost in the Shell and virtually every other adaptation in anything. They rewrite the scenario to make it inferior and nonsensicle, and I have to ask....why? Even Star Wars technically did this with the sequel trilogy.

If they just did a beat-by-beat remake of the original instead of pulling this shit, I wouldn't be as assmad as I am now with this shit.
Because they are made by people who don't like the originals, are common denominator luddites with no taste in anything and want to remove all the "problematic" elements they have a problem with that just so happen to make up the basic building blocks of every COMPETENT AND COHERENT story on the planet.

I say this as someone who does believe people who are not the biggest fans of movie properties can make competent sequels/adaptations. KOTOR 2 is one of my favorite star wars stories and its made by people who clearly didn't like KOTOR 1, a game whose story I also enjoy (same thing for Fallout NV tbh), that much. They just have to be smart and have a good understanding of the property even if they don't like its previous entries.

The Gangster Computer

[cue vent. starts speaking angry nonsense sounds.]
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dragon Ball Z, The Big O, Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop, it's all very, very special to me.

So for Netflix to take a dump on something from that wheelhouse is such a slap in the face for me.
I just realized that Big O is probably next. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck leave Roger and Dorothy alone. Let me at least have the O untainted damn it.

Happy Fish

Happy Fish
kiwifarms.net
So, not as bad as I had thought after two episdoes. Visual direction is good. Practical and SFX are great. Their choice for Jet is great. I like that they went with a Chinese dude for Spike because, well, Chinese space syndicate. Fight sequences/action are passable. They were smart enough not to mess with the sound much and even use a lot of music from the original (I don't want to say all because there were tracks I don't recognize but that may just be me forgetting, which if I am saying that to myself that is a good thing.) If you take it as it's own thing it isn't *THAT* bad.

Still, Faye is definitely a sacrifice on the "must be relatable to hipsters" altar. Not only was the casting bad in look, but acting and writing as well. Even a good choice couldn't save the lines given to her. The only part of her personality they maintained was the bratty part, and she loses all the fox-like qualities. Really just a hipster stand-in character. Also the elaboration on Julia/Vicious arc they put in from the beginning is kind of annoying. Not only is Vicious giving me major Darth Crybaby from Nu Star Wars vibes, but the emphasize that Julia is happy with Vicious because, well, you can't have a girl having a true love she even somewhat holds out for in modern media. That is a no-no. The only thing I can think of that might redeem it is if they go in a different direction and have Spike hook up with Faye which... lol plz no. Also has the usual Netflix diversity checkbox bullshit and stuff that doesn't make sense in general.

I don't look forward to getting to Radical spEdward, but maybe it isn't as bad as the front page clip made it seem to be where the actress was really straining to be Ed to the point of cranking it up past 11. Didn't look great. I don't think it is the actresses fault. Editing and general direction in this aren't super great.

albert the programmer

Computer programmer at work
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
E986ED19-EE3D-4147-9219-EAB69BB020C8.jpeg