CPS strike: Teachers and support staff, along with parks workers, will all strike on Oct. 17 if no contract deals reached -

Chicago

kiwifarms.net
^^Ha! Manwithn0n0men
Other counties have been trying to get Chicago to be its own state. There supposedly is an initiative called "New Illinois State Initiative" but I can't find anything on any search engine or Youtube.

Fly away!!!!!!!!! I have a list of states in mind but I'm not going to be around when I'm forced to dumpster dive because a gallon of m ilk (why the fuck is it called tard cum? lol) is now $30. Right where I live we have a mini tent city forming.

• DRINK!
Reactions: FierceBrosnan

Unog

You're a nog.
kiwifarms.net
As if anyone would be able to tell the difference with them out of the picture.

Fun fact guys there's a separatist movement to kick Chicago out of the state. I've lived here all my life and only learned about it months ago. I contacted the group to offer help but all they said was vote for pro-Illinois legislation. #losers

I've held the belief for years now that after a certain population threshold, cities should be treated similarly or even identically to D.C. in terms of it's relation to the surrounding area's govt. It's an absolute travesty in our system that lone cities can dictate terms to an entire state's population.

Trash Eater

Keeper of the Ali Baba sword
kiwifarms.net
I tried archiving as per dumbdude42's instructions through https://archive.li/

It's been at "#1 in queue." for several minutes now.

"Exasperated Lightfoot appeals to CTU to match her offer with ‘comprehensive’ counterproposal"

Great! Now the police union needs to throw a temper tantrum and get their way too. Like I said, the biggest losers are the taxpayers and once Lightfoot shows any sign of weakness the other unions join in.
So basically, Chicago's cuck mayor keeps ceding more and more benefits to the teacher's union, but the union is still holding out? And they won't define what they actually want, they just keep letting the mayor dig herself deeper? Honestly it sounds like a pretty great scheme by the union. As long as they don't actually affect peoples' day-to-day lives by striking they're basically getting free money with little effort or consequences.

Chicago

kiwifarms.net
So size does matter! Whiny cry babies about to throw world's biggest tantrum in about 2 weeks.

50 students in one class? Chicago Teachers Union pushes for class size as a contract issue

At Chicago’s Simeon Career Academy, where the Chicago Teachers Union says one physics class has 41 students, union officials have planned a 4 p.m. press conference Wednesday to talk about class sizes and why they want enforceable caps in their next contract.
The union is asking for class size limits for all grade levels, but according to the union, the district and mayor’s office have not agreed to put that in a contract. City and school officials were not immediately available for response.
The union said it analyzed 20-day enrollment numbers and determined that nearly a quarter of elementary school students in Chicago Public Schools are in overcrowded classrooms. The union also said more than 1,300 elementary classrooms this year have more than 29 students.
CPS teachers are poised to go on strike on Oct. 17 if there’s no new teacher contract agreement reached by then.

Mayor says teachers holding up contract talks over affordable housing. Union replies: ‘We have nearly 17,000 homeless students’ »
The union planned the press event with teachers, parents and students to put pressure on the mayor’s bargaining team to address what CTU has called “a crisis of overcrowding.”
The union said one class at Smyth Elementary School has 50 students and says it’s found several around the system others with more than 40.
However, the average elementary class size for 2018-19 was much lower, at 25.2, according to CPS.

Still, the union said in a statement: “Some class sizes are so high that schools are shunting students into split grade classes — meaning teachers are teaching two grades, not one, with two sets of curricula and two sets of lesson plans, essentially doubling the curriculum load."
CTU said its data for each classroom in the district was provided by CPS. But CPS says the 20-day enrollment figures have not yet been finalized. Generally speaking, the district has said that once those figures are set, the district will often add class sections where needed to break up large classes.
Mayor Lori Lightfoot ‘concerned’ CPS contract deal with teachers remains elusive as deadline nears: ‘We can’t bargain against ourselves.’ »
On its webpage dedicated to the contract negotiations, CPS states “while we have made significant progress to end overcrowding in the vast majority of schools across the city, we are committed to alleviating overcrowded classrooms.”
The last CTU collective bargaining agreement, signed in 2016, stipulated a maximum class size for kindergarten and primary students. According to CPS, 83% of homerooms for kindergarten through third grade had 28 or fewer students last year. About 89 percent of fourth-to-eighth grade homeroom classes met the cap of 31 for intermediate and upper grade students, according to CPS.
CPS strike: Teachers and support staff, along with parks workers, will all strike on Oct. 17 if no contract deals reached »
The district pointed to current provisions in the collective bargaining agreement including a panel with CTU members that monitors class size and funding set aside for an additional assistant for kindergarten through second-grade classes of 32 or more students.
The district’s new offer would expand the assistant program to third-grade classrooms, which CPS estimates would mean spending $10 million per year on 200 more teacher assistants.

• Informative
Reactions: FierceBrosnan

Doctor Jizzmopper

kiwifarms.net
Just FYI, school districts count "homeless" different than other government agencies. If you live with other family members, ie grandma, mom, dad, kids, you're homeless, mobile home, homeless, RV, homeless, etc etc. It doesn't always mean living in a car or shelter.

Districts love that shit and get fat government cash.

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

I'll get my humanity and my sanity back.
kiwifarms.net
Interesting fact:

With CPS teachers on strike, non-union employees have to babysit classrooms. Central staff will be assigned schools and deployed through all of CPS to keep everything from falling apart. Supposedly, background checks are required to get a job with CPS at all to avoid sending pedos into the classrooms in case of this event, but background checks aren't as reliable as people seem to think that they are.

It goes without saying that this is a terrible fucking idea and dangerous for literally everyone involved. Some nerdy whitecollar from corporate is going to get stabbed by a hood nigga and no one will fucking care. CPS underpays all of its staff except for the high level administrators who gobble up a shit ton of money and contribute nothing positive. CTU knows this is a disaster and they're using it as leverage to get what they want, but it looks like CPS is calling their bluff and gearing up to do this. I can't say for sure, but i think it might be the first time they've ever done this.

• Feels
Reactions: spiritofamermaid

Chicago

kiwifarms.net
Interesting fact:

With CPS teachers on strike, non-union employees have to babysit classrooms. Central staff will be assigned schools and deployed through all of CPS to keep everything from falling apart. Supposedly, background checks are required to get a job with CPS at all to avoid sending pedos into the classrooms in case of this event, but background checks aren't as reliable as people seem to think that they are.

It goes without saying that this is a terrible fucking idea and dangerous for literally everyone involved. Some nerdy whitecollar from corporate is going to get stabbed by a hood nigga and no one will fucking care. CPS underpays all of its staff except for the high level administrators who gobble up a shit ton of money and contribute nothing positive. CTU knows this is a disaster and they're using it as leverage to get what they want, but it looks like CPS is calling their bluff and gearing up to do this. I can't say for sure, but i think it might be the first time they've ever done this.
1570764164013.png

BlueSpark

kiwifarms.net
Median salary for teachers in Chicago was $78,910 as of June 2016. In 2016, the median household income across all of Chicago was $53,006. They earn nearly 150% of the median household income for the whole city. They also threaten to strike almost every year.

Sources: https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160916/edison-park/what-are-chicago-teachers-actually-paid-crunching-numbers/

What none of them will say but everyone knows: the pay is never high enough when you have to deal with niggos every day.

If they were teaching in Assfuck, Alabama at 15% less pay and the worst that they had to deal with was Billy Bob sleeping in class and Cletus and Mike having a punch up in the parking lot over Mary Beth they wouldn't be causing this fuss.
Instead they have to deal with Rakeem and LaShaun bringing guns to school, drug dealing and the real threat of physical violence from an unruly class with intellects around the level of cave people.

Kiwi Lime Pie

Tastefully gobbled. 🥝🥧🐈
kiwifarms.net
CPS underpays all of its staff except for the high level administrators who gobble up a shit ton of money and contribute nothing positive.
This is true in any district. Administrators seemingly get compensated rather handsomely to do little more than attend meetings and approve procedures and plans relating to code of conduct, curriculum, and facility upkeep.

In my state, we have an additional level of educational administration at the county level. While there are some administrative functions that could best be managed at a county-wide level, having this layer of administration generally comes across as redundant with some of the functions handled by local districts and a waste of limited education dollars that many feel would be better off spent in the classroom as much as possible.

Earlier in the thread, I believe someone mentioned overcrowded classrooms being a concern. While one can sympathize with teachers not wanting too many students -- especially if they have more than their share of troublemakers and those not wanting to learn anything -- the shortage of teachers, parapros, and other classroom-related professionals on both a regional and national level makes it difficult to staff schools as fully as desired.

I'm not sure how the issues in Chicago will play out, especially since the teachers union is part of the AFT (American Federation of Teachers) that tends to be a bit more militant in their activism and bargaining demands compared to locals of the National Education Association (NEA). If the city of Chicago is like other inner-cities, property values are low meaning the school revenue collected from property taxes is also low. A limited amount of city school tax dollars and state funding can only go so far. Unfortunately, teacher's unions tend to be uncompromising when they feel they've somehow been slighted or shortchanged and ignore the reality that if they want higher wages from the limited pool of education dollars, they have to be willing to make some sort of concession elsewhere. It's not like school districts are corporations sitting on millions or billions of dollars they don't want to spend, but the unions don't always seem to grasp that.

If the strike happens and is prolonged, however, parents that have the ability will consider switching their kids to charter or -- if affordable -- private/parochial schools. As much as they may be sympathetic to the teachers and their demands through the union, they also don't want their children's education disrupted for any extended time. This is especially true when there is nobody that can stay home with their kids during the day for the indefinitely length of a teacher's strike.

What none of them will say but everyone knows: the pay is never high enough when you have to deal with niggos every day.
It's a catch-22. The districts that have the most troublesome students are usually the ones with the least resources and money available to adequately compensate teachers commensurate with the daily drama with which they deal.

Chicago

kiwifarms.net

I haven't seen anybody mention this (here or in NPC media) but the mayor is spending her limited time trying to solve this issue. There's other problems in the city. Just a game of a dog chasing its tail.

Manwithn0n0men

kiwifarms.net
Interesting fact:

Not if the CPS teachers form a picket line and dare people to cross it

Vlinny Chan

no child is safe from drugs and molestation
kiwifarms.net
"We need moar moni for dem programs!" -the thread.

Yeah, just throw a billion dollars at an issue and the problem will be fixed somehow. It's not like you need to put actual effort in an issue while learning to manage the money you have and putting it towards your most prioritize issues first and going down the list from there instead of using it to give every kid an ipad they'll break the moment they get it, if money was ever an issue to begin with and these stupid fucks aren't overly paid to begin with. Unions are a scam.

That's extreamly shitty. Like, fuck the kids, right? Yeah I'm totally on board with that as a parent. My tax dollars aren't going to waste and little Jamal jr totally isn't wasting his most formative years learning how to steal and bully other kids for not being black enough instead of learning basic multiplication tables.

That generation is so fucked.

Chicago

kiwifarms.net
I wish I could find the post but someone on reddit claimed to have 3rd hand knowledge that the strike will last at least 10 days.

What a shitshow. I could post up the facebook live but it's just thousands of "professional educators" occupying a large amount of space. What a sad state Illinois is.

Worth a mention but the system is set to blow. Something like older teachers will get their pension money but the younger ones probably won'r see a dime decades from now. Ponzi scheme anyone?

Chicago

kiwifarms.net
They’re telling their members “10 days maybe longer. “

Source:

3rd hand from CTU member, so grain of salt, but I've been told Lightfoot's big demand is a 5 year contract, likely to avoid another dispute around her reelection campaign. CTU won't agree unless the city meets all their demands, classroom sizes, support staff etc, but have been told the city/ board will take them on a month long strike to make it happen, so strap in.

Source:

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

I'll get my humanity and my sanity back.
kiwifarms.net
Not if the CPS teachers form a picket line and dare people to cross it
It is not "crossing the picket line" for a non-union position to fill in, everyone at CTU and CPS is familiar with this backup plan and training is provided for all non-union new hires who may end up being deployed.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino