Crafting & DIY Thread -

Dr.Research

Dissertation Topic: Lolcows
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Any crafters on the farms? As in making anything (makeup, clothes, body products, wood craft, jewelry, metalwork, etc) from raw ingredients.

So far I've made body scrubs and body butter but plan to try making lip balm and lotion soon. One of my best products was a delicious smelling kiwi sugar scrub :P

If anyone is comfortable post what you've made and any recipes you like.

fire_fly

kiwifarms.net
I make stuff all the time. Or, at least I used to... I have this rule about jewelry, that unless it's something I can't make, I don't buy it.

I also want to learn how to make my own nail polish and lip products. I spend so much money on those two things, surely it would round out to be cheaper if I was making my own... Plus I have all these ideas for colors that I can't find anywhere and I'd like to make them a reality.

Dr.Research

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@mortal_wombat That bag looks pretty awesome :biggrin: I think it's so cool, people who can sew and make big things.
I know how you feel about making gifts. I made candles and body scrubs for my relatives this Christmas. While it was totally fun to customize all the jars and scrubs, I have to admit I spent a ton more than if I just bought everyone something... but it was still a load of fun :biggrin:
At least I have tons of leftover materials that may or may not be useful

D

DV 259

kiwifarms.net
It was pretty easy to make and relatively inexpensive - For the $15 I paid for materials, I was able to make two big bags and I have enough to make a smaller one, but my stitching is crap and kind of uneven, so gifts are probably the only way I’d be able to feel good about making a bunch of them. Maybe donations to charities to give kids school bags or something, but I’m not confident enough to make them to sell. I’d rather give them as gifts anyway, because it’s heaps of fun and my friends/family are way more forgiving about little flaws than the internet. :lol:

Dr.Research

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Donating them sounds like a really good idea :)
And yea, in my experience relatives don't care if your quality is a bit off :lol:

FramerGirl420

Boo's Boo
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I crochet, mostly scarves, hats, and amigurumi. I'd do more with afghans if they didn't take so damn long to make. I recently got into needle felting, too.
Ooooo needle felting is so dank. It's really neat to watch it take form while working with it. I've only done it once and it was a little penguin that is now in @cat 's possession(upload a pic of it, fggt. I don't have any).
Also I've never stabbed myself so many times in the making of a single craft as I did making that. :oops: totes worth it tho. I may do some more of it in the future.

Trickie

I refer to Christine as she/her to annoy you.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty arts and crafts oriented, but I don't really have a lot of skill in too many areas. Wood and metal working is probably the only thing I've ever learned to any degree, and it's come in handy sometimes. I once built a chair and writing desk out of scrap wood and two-by-fours because we were in a third world country and there wasn't an Ikea around.

I am getting ready to learn how to do other stuff now, like basic soldering, wiring, and 3d modelling. I've got a 3d printer coming later this year, and I'm going to see if I can't get into messing around with making electronic devices and possibly learning how to do make some cool cosplay outfits.

fire_fly

kiwifarms.net
Hit a snag while working on new bead stuff. I envisioned these as hair ornaments, but they're too heavy. And if I make them lighter, I'll have to make them smaller, and then they won't be daylilies anymore.

I brought in a consultant, but his feedback has been useless.

That's really awesome! I'm sure you'll figure something out, it's just too pretty not to... Is it too heavy to attach to one of those updo combs? I doubt it weighs more than this thing:

Dr.Research

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I made facial toner and lotion.
I found a great blog that has a ton of relatively easy DIY recipes for cosmetics. The facial toner is step-by-step but the lotion I went rouge and only used the recipe as a guide.

The toner works pretty well, or at least it hasn't had me break out terribly and it smells really nice. It has white willow in it (which has anti-acne properties) and tea tree and a bit of eucalyptus essential oil, so it has some good stuff in it and smells pretty good.

I call the lotion Bamboo. It has bamboo scent, green tea butter, green tea extract, bamboo extract and coconut oil (and some emulsifier wax which isn't interesting). It works pretty well, but I used the microwave instead of melting it all done on the stove and had to get creative with the proportions when it wasn't thickening so it's not 100% blended and you can see some granules, probably from the emulsifier wax. But it does rub in, doesn't feel greasy and seems to do the job it's meant to do.

SAM_1269.JPG

SAM_1270.JPG

Again, huge pictures. If anyone is interested in the recipes let me know and I can link you.

Durable Mike Malloy

Fine &/or dandy.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That's really awesome! I'm sure you'll figure something out, it's just too pretty not to... Is it too heavy to attach to one of those updo combs? I doubt it weighs more than this thing:

Ooh, that's a wonderful use of quartz points! I always pick up the darn things, but never do anything with them.

I might end up adding a full stem and making a daylily necklace, or maybe mount the flower as-is to a haircomb fascinator. Decisions, decisions.

Reactions: FramerGirl420