Crafting & DIY Thread -

FramerGirl420

Boo's Boo
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ooh, that's a wonderful use of quartz points! I always pick up the darn things, but never do anything with them.

I might end up adding a full stem and making a daylily necklace, or maybe mount the flower as-is to a haircomb fascinator. Decisions, decisions.
What sorta beads did you use for those anyways? Looks amazing! Are they seed beads?

Reactions: Durable Mike Malloy

Some JERK

I ain't drunk, I'm just drinkin'
kiwifarms.net
I make soap and lip balm because they're both easy and cheap to make. Your return on investment for both is considerable. I make soap like once every other year, and have more than enough to last for 2 years. In fact, I give a lot of it away. I started making lip balm because it was hard to find stuff that didn't have a laundry list of shit in it that was also free of ridiculous flavors or scents.

Last edited:

Durable Mike Malloy

Fine &/or dandy.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What sorta beads did you use for those anyways? Looks amazing! Are they seed beads?
Yes indeed - they're made of 11/0 seed beads, 15/0 seed beads, and 15/0 delicas. The extra-tiny beads on the edges, tip and center vein give the petals their shape. This was my first try at using graduated bead sizes to get this sort of effect, and I was really pleased when it worked!

sikotik

It's Lego Frank Mutha Fucka!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've got a 3d printer coming later this year
I got one for myself for christmas. I'm still tweaking it due to bad instructions, missing parts, incorrectly set stepper drivers and an improperly assembled by the factory extruder.
Make sure you get a nozzle cleaner, spare nozzles, hot end throats and ptfe tubing for the throat to minimize downtime when it gets clogged up.

• Informative
Reactions: Trickie

Trickie

I refer to Christine as she/her to annoy you.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I got one for myself for christmas. I'm still tweaking it due to bad instructions, missing parts, incorrectly set stepper drivers and an improperly assembled by the factory extruder.
Make sure you get a nozzle cleaner, spare nozzles, hot end throats and ptfe tubing for the throat to minimize downtime when it gets clogged up.
Well, here's hoping mine won't be quite as incomplete when it arrives (I got a Tiko, btw). I did hear about the nozzle thing, and apparently the Tiko people have decided that they're going to ship spare nozzles with their filament, despite their filament system being non-proprietary (which I think is pretty nice).

We're still a long way from having them shipped out to us, but I'm pretty excited to see what I can do with it. It's a cheap printer, so probably nothing too fancy, but it'll give me practice until I'm ready for something more involved.

Reactions: sikotik

UselessRubberKeyboard

ZX Spectrum lives matter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I knit a ridiculous amount (in fact, I discovered the Farms via a knitting site), spin yarn, crochet, sew and fling paint around sometimes too. Would love to do woodwork stuff but am not well enough lately. The online knitting community is surprisingly bitchy and censorious for something that's an age-old and unsociable craft.

Massive kudos to jewellery making types. Oh my god, how do you cope with those tiny fiddly beads and wires? That stuff is amazing.

FramerGirl420

Boo's Boo
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I finished a thingy.
He's a Punch doll from the old puppet show Punch and Judy. He has a reinforced wire armature so he's completely poseable and pretty durable. His face, hands, and feet are sculpted from natural stone clay and had painted in acrylics. All his clothes and accessories are completely hand-sewn. He took me a couple of weeks to get him all done, but he turned out pretty ok. The biggest pain was tailoring his little clothes to fit his mighty humpback.

I think I enjoy doll making because it requires a bit of everything. You get to draw and sketch out designs, do a bit of wire work, play with clay, paint, and then some sewing as well as random ass crafts to make whatever props to go with them. I'm such a nerd. :oops:

D

DV 259

kiwifarms.net
I collect those silly Funko Pop figures and when I saw they used to make customizable figures, I started making my own. Unfortunately, Funko discontinued the DIY blank figures so now I have to resort to eBay to get blanks.

The first ones I ever made were done with paint and clay, and they were of two of my friends:

I tried working with felt for clothes and hair, which was WAY easier and less messy than using paint markers and clay:

These two are the first of a series of 5 (I’m making one of my favorite bands):

Dr.Research

Dissertation Topic: Lolcows
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@mortal_wombat It's not the same, but have you ever heard of the Munny figures? The blanks are (I think) a bit smaller than Pop's but it's still a slightly misshapen blank you can edit. I think they come in male and female as well.

Unrelated to that, I started making more of my own makeup and daily stuff. Acne spot treatment, powder deodorant and face powder to stop that mid-day shine, and bath bar are my proudest accomplishments so far.

D

DV 259

kiwifarms.net
@mortal_wombat It's not the same, but have you ever heard of the Munny figures? The blanks are (I think) a bit smaller than Pop's but it's still a slightly misshapen blank you can edit. I think they come in male and female as well.

Unrelated to that, I started making more of my own makeup and daily stuff. Acne spot treatment, powder deodorant and face powder to stop that mid-day shine, and bath bar are my proudest accomplishments so far.
I did look into Munny's for a bit but KidRobot tends to be way more expensive, so I nixed that idea. Plus, I don't feel is do well with something smaller. Pops are more my thing. Plus, I can get them in bulk on eBay for less. (I just got 12 of them for $100.)

I do have a blank Munny kicking around somewhere that I got in a Loot Crate or Nerd Block a while back, but because it's a weirder shape than I'm used to with the Pops, I can't come up with anything interesting to do with it.

DangerousGas

Chaotic Bald
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Finished building my mini CNC machine. Now got to put together a 3D design for the soapcasting mould that I'm making for a friend.

• Winner
Reactions: sikotik

Not-NiGHTS

Nicer Ass Than Bayonetta.
kiwifarms.net
I used to make those really large and elaborate paper models you would see online, but I've been interested in making handmade plushes for people. I just have no clue where to start

Dr.Research

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I used to make those really large and elaborate paper models you would see online, but I've been interested in making handmade plushes for people. I just have no clue where to start
I found a Pusheen the cat tutorial that showed you how to sew a Pusheen out of a sock. It was super easy.
I'd just google 'simple DIY plushies or something'. I think Instructables.com should have some easy tutorials and material lists.

cheersensei

To the pure, all things are pure.
kiwifarms.net
Since I'm in a specialty queue at work, crafting has been something that helps pass the time. I've been crocheting a lot lately, but I think I may have to take a small break due to hand going numb due to the repetitive motion. I would draw, but due to the nature of the job, can't have pencils or paper on the call center floor.

I also play around with wire wrapped jewelry and in the process of learning chain mail from a friend.

APerson

Official Lolcattle Abductor
kiwifarms.net
I'd love to knit and crochet more, but I'm not good at them. I'm pretty good at origami; I recently did a version of this (level 1 3/4). Probably the design which I fold the most is this.

Dr.Research

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@APerson Knitting always looked kinda interesting. A girl I volunteered with usually had a ball of yarn with her.
I've been wanting to knit my boyfriend some socks but that seems like a complicated-ish project and I don't have the patience to work my way up, honestly.

D

DV 259

kiwifarms.net
The only thing I can knit are scarves and potholders ... I also can knit a cute and cuddly pony.

Reactions: Dr.Research

cheersensei

To the pure, all things are pure.
kiwifarms.net
@Dr.Research - I wish I had the ability to knit, it escapes me for some reason or another. Crocheting is pretty simple as it's just one needle and your thread. The stitches are pretty simple too.

Ravenor

Purge.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hey can one of the more crafty kiwi's help me out, what's the material that Self healing cutting mat's are made from my new packing tables have a top made from MDF and that shit scars, if I can get roll's of the cutting mat stuff and cut it down to size etc that would be awsome.

I know this exists as a thing, but I'm oblivious where to source it from or what it's called.

Durable Mike Malloy

Fine &/or dandy.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hey can one of the more crafty kiwi's help me out, what's the material that Self healing cutting mat's are made from my new packing tables have a top made from MDF and that shit scars, if I can get roll's of the cutting mat stuff and cut it down to size etc that would be awsome.

I know this exists as a thing, but I'm oblivious where to source it from or what it's called.
Self-healing cutting mats are made from layers of PVC or polyethylene in different hardnesses - you can buy them in tabletop sizes, but they tend to be rather expensive.

Several years ago, I ordered a large cutting mat from draftingsteals.com and was quite happy with it. I believe the company will cut their mats to size for free. You could also try contacting a local quilter's guild or club for more suggestions.

Good luck!