Creative works you enjoyed until politics happened - "How politics made me hate Welcome to Nightvale and other things"

Ginger Piglet

Burglar of Jess Phillips MP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Whats more surprising is he is married to Amanda Palmer and she seems like one of those punk radfems that could meetoo him at any moment . Is also an open marriage and apparently they have marital problems, is a miracle he hasn't been Projare'd yet.
They are welcome to each other. She's not as smart as she reckons she is as well.

Basically, they are both one trick ponies. His is "I have done exhaustive research on mythology, pay no attention to the fact that all my original characters are featureless and prepare to have your expectations subverted," while her is "I am so totally troubled and quirky and have ishoos, pay no attention to the fact that all my stuff is lifted from older artists and suchlike."

BaldDwight

kiwifarms.net
Not to be a troll but why can't you guys just ignore the authors' political stance and enjoy their works unless it creeps into their newer work?

I mean I hate John Lennon because he is a hippie but I wouldn't hate all of his discography.

• DRINK!
Reactions: Koby_Fish

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
Not to be a troll but why can't you guys just ignore the authors' political stance and enjoy their works unless it creeps into their newer work?

I mean I hate John Lennon because he is a hippie but I wouldn't hate all of his discography.
To use John Lennon as an example, listening to "Imagine" is a different experience prior to thinking about the lyrics and his politics and how hypocritical it is.

If you aren't aware of a creator's politics theres a benefit of the doubt when sometimes questionable material or ideas pop up. That is gone once you know their views and often times it impacts the quality of the work.

Cedric_Eff

Damn property taxes f**k up everything.
kiwifarms.net
That's the major reason modern comics are so shit.

In the 90's, the Dark Age ethos of "Everyone's a selfish, immoral asshole when they think nobody is looking, any apparently good person is just well-disciplined. There are no heroes, just people who murder less than others." overran the genre and took into the early 00's to recover.

Then, having learned nothing, the comics makers threw it all away again by reinstating the same ethos, except making it about "social justice" instead of "The folly of morals in a world gone mad"

Now its : "White folks are all selfish, immoral assholes, they're bad when you're watching them, and only WORSE when they think you aren't. There are no good white men, only those who are slightly less racist and colonialist than the next."
This is the same reason why Hunter x Hunter’s newer arcs are just shit.

Mexican_Wizard_711

kiwifarms.net

hugely :optimistic:, while it is better to ignore an author's political views and just enjoy the story. The problem is most creators (at least in my experience) seem want to self-insert their views and beliefs into a story, either because they want to stay with times or they truly want some hamfisted statement about whatever current issue is going on in the world. There are a few exceptions though, like Butch Hartman who keeps his personal beliefs for the most part separate from his work or Alan Moore who while political, does things in a way that's subtle and not in your face a lot.

This is the same reason why Hunter x Hunter’s newer arcs are just shit.
I only watched the anime, so can you get me up to speed on what is happening in the newer HxH arcs

Coffee Druid

Your friendly caffeinated chevalier
kiwifarms.net
I’m not sure if it counts here as it’s not an author or artist per se but an artisanal soap and bath product maker. I used to really like their products but haven’t boight from them in awhile. But they post so much political posts on their fb page now that has nothing to do with their products. A lot of anti-republican stuff too like usual. I find posting unrelated political junk on a page for your products tacky to begin with but eh. What makes it worse is their reaction to people being confused about all the posts, or saying that it’s off-topic. Saying that EVERYTHING is political (even soap...?) and since they have a platform they have the responsibility of being woke and progressive in the most snide way.

I get not liking certain politicians or their beliefs. But it turns me off big time when it’s so childish and forced on people. A lot of Facebook pages lately about non-political topics have become exclusively political and it’s irritating. Time and place.

Draza

Drinks on me
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Marvel movies in the past, regardless of it being capeshit,was always nice and enjoyable to watch. Since going "woke" in the past year or two it has become unbearable to even look at. Black Panther was a laughable black supremacist wet dream that ruined the lore and mystery of the character it's named after,and Captain Marvel was a bland feminist wet dream stared by Brie Larson that unnecessarily retconned past movies to push the "strong powerful" women cliche. With their comics going the drain as well, I don't have any hope in their future movies as well.

TheProdigalStunna

I just wanna blend for God's sake
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I thought Borat was the funniest movie when I saw it in theaters. Caught it on HBO years later and it aged like milk left out in the sun.

The film is cleverly manipulative, since it presents the story of the character Borat filming a documentary it tricks the casual viewer into thinking that many absurd scripted moments are real. Like when you see Borat in his ramshackle home village. In reality Borat's village weren't even Kazakhs but equally dirt poor Romanian Gypsies who the film crew paid a pittance to act. If I remember correctly each Romani got paid $4 a day and the end result is they were immortalized as a bunch of backwards retards to the delight of the West. How kind to do to people born into poverty and are widely seen as a lower caste of human throughout europe?

Borat isn't utterly laughless, it's funny to see ordinary people bend over backwards to not offend Borat. But Sasha Baron Cohen loves to push a joke till it's no longer funny. Remember when Borat shits in a rag and then brings it to the interviewee? Were they not supposed to react in disgust and hostility, is that funny? No it's not, but most laughed though because they were laughing at the character Borat the dumb Kazakh! The movie is not Anti-American, Anti-Semitic, or even Anti-Gypsy. The truth is the movie was Anti-Kazakh convincing a ton of people that this little country that's trapped by China and Russia is nothing but a shithole filled with backwards bumpkins.

It really is just an ugly meanspirited movie. And the true comedy is that a British Jew born into wealth thinks he's outting racism when he's just manipulating poorer careless/stupid people into humiliating themselves. To borrow a term from the political woke it is "punching down."
I'll be frank, I freaking love Da Ali G Show, particularly the HBO series, and always will. I think what made the show work so much is that there was no real social commentary despite often touching on social issues. SBC never "preached" to you, the main point was to make you laugh because of the character's ignorance and idiocy. And there's a lot of humor that wouldn't fly today:
Yeah, you know that the views expressed were not SBC's own, but the humor comes from the fact that Ali G is so stupid he doesn't realize he makes the guest uncomfortable. He doesn't shove the fact that what he's saying is offensive down your throat. Another good example would be this one:
I have little doubt that SBC was no fan of New Gingrich at the time, and the interview certainly makes him uncomfortable (although overall he takes it pretty well). However, the joke is still that Ali G says ridiculous, offensive, funny shit, not that he was trying to skewer Newt Gingrich. Compare that to anything on Who Is America.

I admittedly don't like Borat as much as Ali G, even though I did love it when it first came out. I think mainly because it was too scripted and over-the-top instead of what SBC does best, which is interviews in character. It was also when SBC tried to "prove a point": the subjects were no longer there for him to perform off of but rather to expose something about his subjects. And yeah, the movie is racist as hell. That doesn't really bother me, but there is no way it could come out today. It almost makes you wonder if SBC's current performative wokeness is meant to be a kind of redemption arc.

Doctor Placebo

Soleimani's back. Tell a friend.
kiwifarms.net

Most of the examples on the thread are about politics creeping into the newer work of artists and franchises. Or in some cases less creeping and more screaming and running in while firing a machine gun into the air.

Dorsia.Reservation

Dorsia's Dixie Stampede & Plantation Wedding Venue
kiwifarms.net
Pretty sure last podcast on the left was mentioned in this thread but the idea of self proclaimed Satanists getting ass blasted because "people selfishly voted against the herd by voting Trump" will never not be funny to me.

So much for the individualism and self interest over everyone else your stupid "religion" preaches
So many formerly amazing podcats went insanely off the rails.

I'm sorry to disapoint but a case that took place in the 1800s truly has nothing to with donald trumpf, shocking I know.

Season two introduced Ashley Judd into the cast
Why do people keep giving that woman acting jobs?
She screwed Michael Bolton (he basically dry humps her for over half of one of his music videos) to get back at her family because they wouldn't use their influence to get her jobs.

The Pink Panther

Pinky "Quartz" Universe
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I thought Borat was the funniest movie when I saw it in theaters. Caught it on HBO years later and it aged like milk left out in the sun.

The film is cleverly manipulative, since it presents the story of the character Borat filming a documentary it tricks the casual viewer into thinking that many absurd scripted moments are real. Like when you see Borat in his ramshackle home village. In reality Borat's village weren't even Kazakhs but equally dirt poor Romanian Gypsies who the film crew paid a pittance to act. If I remember correctly each Romani got paid $4 a day and the end result is they were immortalized as a bunch of backwards retards to the delight of the West. How kind to do to people born into poverty and are widely seen as a lower caste of human throughout europe?

Borat isn't utterly laughless, it's funny to see ordinary people bend over backwards to not offend Borat. But Sasha Baron Cohen loves to push a joke till it's no longer funny. Remember when Borat shits in a rag and then brings it to the interviewee? Were they not supposed to react in disgust and hostility, is that funny? No it's not, but most laughed though because they were laughing at the character Borat the dumb Kazakh! The movie is not Anti-American, Anti-Semitic, or even Anti-Gypsy. The truth is the movie was Anti-Kazakh convincing a ton of people that this little country that's trapped by China and Russia is nothing but a shithole filled with backwards bumpkins.

It really is just an ugly meanspirited movie. And the true comedy is that a British Jew born into wealth thinks he's outting racism when he's just manipulating poorer careless/stupid people into humiliating themselves. To borrow a term from the political woke it is "punching down."
Jews must really fucking hate Khazkhs.....

• DRINK!

Wulfpack Legend

Praise be to Ormagöden
kiwifarms.net
Disney starting to really hammer home how woke they are with their live action remakes of their classic titles killed any interest I might have had in their new works. Didn't super care until their live action Beauty and the Beast adaption came out, the animated original being one of my all time favorite Disney movies growing up, with how badly they butchered it for woke points. Actual sin how they butchered Belle's character, my favorite Disney princess, along with how unlikable they made the Beast. Their attempts to "fix" the story and its characterizations just didn't work, don't even get me started on how much of a downgrade Emma Watson is as Belle.

Even if I've completely sworn off ever seeing any of their new nostalgia cash grabs it still hurts to see what they do to them for the sake of "fixing" the problems of the original, seeing many of my old favorites with live action movies in production. I see Lilo & Stitch has one, Mulan got rid of the music and Shan Yu is gone as the villain, everything they did to The Lion King (No Jeremy Irons as Scar and muh realism). Boy, I can't wait for the eventual Tarzan live action remake for the eventual "fixing" of Jane even though she was just perfect.
Even the parks are like that, from covering up Jasmine's costume, to changing the aution scene in The Pirates of the Caribbean. ride, to taking out Splash Mountain

frozenrunner

Please do not hoard limited salt supplies.
kiwifarms.net
Why do people keep giving that woman acting jobs?
It's especially baffling now that... well, she's never been a great actress (though she is good), but she's always been pretty hot. Or was...

Everyone ages, I'm not mad at her for that. But it's made her lack of amazing talent more noticeable. She basically plays the same character in everything.

She screwed Michael Bolton (he basically dry humps her for over half of one of his music videos) to get back at her family because they wouldn't use their influence to get her jobs.
> tfw you fuck a no-talent assclown to own the Judds

Cardenio

Calarts Graduate
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll be frank, I freaking love Da Ali G Show, particularly the HBO series, and always will. I think what made the show work so much is that there was no real social commentary despite often touching on social issues. SBC never "preached" to you, the main point was to make you laugh because of the character's ignorance and idiocy. And there's a lot of humor that wouldn't fly today:
Yeah, you know that the views expressed were not SBC's own, but the humor comes from the fact that Ali G is so stupid he doesn't realize he makes the guest uncomfortable. He doesn't shove the fact that what he's saying is offensive down your throat. Another good example would be this one:
I have little doubt that SBC was no fan of New Gingrich at the time, and the interview certainly makes him uncomfortable (although overall he takes it pretty well). However, the joke is still that Ali G says ridiculous, offensive, funny shit, not that he was trying to skewer Newt Gingrich. Compare that to anything on Who Is America.

I admittedly don't like Borat as much as Ali G, even though I did love it when it first came out. I think mainly because it was too scripted and over-the-top instead of what SBC does best, which is interviews in character. It was also when SBC tried to "prove a point": the subjects were no longer there for him to perform off of but rather to expose something about his subjects. And yeah, the movie is racist as hell. That doesn't really bother me, but there is no way it could come out today. It almost makes you wonder if SBC's current performative wokeness is meant to be a kind of redemption arc.
Thank you for reminding me why it was so easy to like Ali G in the first place. The HBO produced Ali G show was better content, because as you noted it was largely apolitical. I can 1-Up the Newt Gingrich clip with his interview with Pat Buchanan.
Of the last 100 years Patrick Buchanan is the most controversial figure in American mainstream conservatism. I'm not going to go into grand detail because I don't want the thread derailed but Buchanan has been labelled as an anti-semite by William F Buckley and Donald Trump. I'm sure Sacha knew of this but didn't try to confront Pat, in fact it's genuinely one of the most wholesome interviews he produced on the show with Buchanan laughing at the end as he recognized the comedy of it all. For the most part the sketches are the same formula, Cohen acting as a cartoon character but also seeing people take him seriously. Borat and Bruno met with ordinary Americans but again the joke mostly was just seeing people react to what essentially is a "class clown."
Jews must really fucking hate Khazkhs.....
While Wikipedia-researching Cohen's work I googled Jewish relations with Kazakhstan and got the "History of Jewish-Kazakhs" and "Israel-Kazakhstan Relations." Turns out Stalin relocated thousands of religious Jews to Kazakhstan and they lived peacefully there eventually resettling to Israel to get out of Communism. It's one of the few nations that has no notable incidents of jew-hatred and 25% of Israel's oil imports come from Kazakhs. So if Sacha's goal is to fight Antisemitism he's a fucking jackass to mock that nation. Of course he's a smart jackass because he knows that if he had belittled an actual nation with Jew-Haters they would have hired a hitman to shoot him in the face. This is why his mediocre political satire "The Dictator" takes place in a fictional country despite obviously parodying Libya.

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
I wasn't as affected i think because i already disliked most of the biggest offenders like star wars , capeshit and most AAA videogames, i also wasn't too hot for american cartoons. And for other authors, like fantasy and comic writers i already knew they were whiny lefties a long time ago but still could get passed that and enjoy their work, after enough quips about reagan or margaret thatcher you kinda filter it out almost automatically if the worldbuilding is at least interesting enough. Still notable things that did go to the shitter for me:

-Comedians, all of them, not a single one is spared. I actually started disliking comedy as a whole because i realized how so many people got their news and made up their opinions based on smug stand up comedians making straw men. I remember how i used to listen to a bunch of stand ups when i was younger and i cringe at myself now that i realize how shitty most of those people and their views on the world are.

-Guillermo del Toro. I knew his leanings but still respected his way of making movies, then he became a sjw icon , i realized how much a smoke seller he was and i can't even enjoy his older work the same way anymore. Shape of Water was a garbage movie with a very dumb concept that only won an Oscar for all the woke pandering and the insane amount of token woke stuff he stuffed the movie with. I also liked Ron Perlman a lot but he gone full lolcow and is very hard to respect nowadays.

-Game of thrones also started as an edgy gritty story that subverted fantasy genre tropes but by the end the show turned it into the woke fanfic Marvel movie ending every retard redditor predicted.

-At first i thought cartoons like adventure time and steven universe were cool and refreshing if not a little hipster, now i think Pendleton Ward and Rebecca Sugar need to be tied down, put into a catapult and get thrown into the ocean.

The Pink Panther

Pinky "Quartz" Universe
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
-Comedians, all of them, not a single one is spared. I actually started disliking comedy as a whole because i realized how so many people got their news and made up their opinions based on smug stand up comedians making straw men. I remember how i used to listen to a bunch of stand ups when i was younger and i cringe at myself now that i realize how shitty most of those people and their views on the world are.
Curiously, anyone in particular?

• Feels

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
Used to like the Chilling Tales for Dark Nights Podcast until wokeness started creeping in. They shoehorned in diversity like "Hood Horror" . (Stories told from a black point of view!") Which made me wonder why they needed to segregate the stories by race? Did all of those family sitcoms starring black comedians in the 1980's feel the need to point out their cast was black before every broadcast? Did I tune into Good Times needing to be told that it was a show about a black family that lived in the ghetto and that I'd be a goodthinker for watching it? Screaming out "Our show features The Black Experience!" just seems like a cheap marketing gimmick. It feels like the writers saying "If you criticize our show, you're a racist!" It also feels like race relations have gone backwards from where they were 40 years ago, as shows featuring the "Black Experience" then would try to hook you in with good writing and talented actors. Nowadays shows featuring black actors try to bully you into watching them by declaring you a bigot if you don't.

Aside from shoehorned in diversity, I've noticed a lot of horror podcasts featuring gay couples or badass women who act and talk like men. And it seems like this was mainly done for political purposes, not story purposes. You can almost hear the ALLCAPS as the story readers say lines like "Oh no! The lights are out in our home! I sure hope nothing bad has happened to my GAY BOYFRIEND who is alone at home now!"

That’s one of the major reasons I hate remakes: There’s always this underlying sentiment with them that the original somehow wasn’t good enough and can't enjoyed for its own merits, in it’s own context. It has to be updated to a "new and improved" version because people couldn’t possibly enjoy anything that wasn’t produced within the past few years.

People scoff at others who don't want remakes of things that held a lot of nostalgia for them. "Why are you so mad? It's not like the old one went anywhere!" My question is: Then why do we need to remake it at all? Why can't people just appreciate the original as it is? Oh, right, it's because you guys didn't actually like the original to begin with.
Remakes are a tricky thing. If there's a huge boost in technology, a remake can capitalize on it. (Fact: the 1950 color remake of Ben Hur is a lot more well known than the black and white original silent version. But few people know of the recent Ben Hur movie remake, probably because the updated effects and script added nothing to a story that was adequately told and sufficiently impressive 60 years ago.) Ray Harryhausen's stop motion SFX may look a bit janky today, but there was a craft to it. His version of the Medusa fight in the original Clash of the Titans was a masterpiece of horror. The movie itself was an earnest, if campy attempt to bring the original Greek myths to light in the modern era. The 2010's Clash of the Titans however, was widely reviled because it "modernized" the story, showed contempt for the original movie, drained all of the horror out of the Medusa fight, and was inconsistent in its messaging. The only thing it had was updated special effects, but since those effects revolved around a lukewarm story, they failed to impress. I'd much rather watch the original CotT a bunch of times than watch a bunch of cookie cutter heroes fighting a CG Medusa with movie star looks in a well-lit dungeon in the remake.

I'll admit, that remakes can work if the original films were made in a more repressed time. Subplots surrounding extramarital sex, gay characters, or heroes committing murder were often bowdlerized during the days of the Hays Code, so a remake that allows that material to be uncensored might be in order. Remakes of movies may also take place in different time periods, involve different cultures or be made in different styles from the originals. (Case in point, all of the Samurai films that ripped off American Westerns and all of the American Westerns that ripped off Samurai films.)

Ginger Piglet

Burglar of Jess Phillips MP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
-Game of thrones also started as an edgy gritty story that subverted fantasy genre tropes but by the end the show turned it into the woke fanfic Marvel movie ending every retard redditor predicted.
That's probably because D&D's polluting influence happened for the most part. But also I think George R. R. Martin has to shoulder some responsibility for this. He frankly doesn't have a clue how it's going to end other than in very broad terms. How he gets there seems to be outside his understanding. Like the Meereenese Knot. He had no idea how he was going to get Dany to go where he wanted her to be later on, so he contrived something frankly stupid with Drogon crashing a gladiatorial arena. The script needs the plot to happen, y'see.

Tags
None