Creative works you enjoyed until politics happened - "How politics made me hate Welcome to Nightvale and other things"

albertbrown26

FREE ASSANGE
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The MTV VMAs were a guilty pleasure for me, and I think it’s because of me constantly watching Celebrity Deathmatch and Beavis and Butthead. However, due to their constant “HOW DO YOU DO, FELLOW KIDS” advertising and rampant politics, it’s just another long, bloated advertisement for celebrities to get teens and young adults (mainly girls) to buy their products.

Also, the VMAs apparently are on tonight, so /mu/ on 4chan made this handy little chart:

3C10B2B8-48FF-4A77-BBF3-8DDCBBA7B703.jpeg

Longcat

A GREAT BIG BOWL OF FUCKADOODLES
kiwifarms.net
I’m super into D&D, both as a DM and a player, and though I’ll always enjoy it as a creative outlet and escape from reality, there’s a growing part of the fanbase that is super into identity politics and demands it be more inclusive.

Wizards of the Coast themselves did recently put out something about how Drow and orcs don’t have to be purely evil, and while I’ve played as a good aligned Drow before, it was also made clear that this statement was made in the wake of all the BLM protests so it seemed extra pander-y. It was something about fiction reflecting reality, so generalising an entire race as evil, even in a setting heavily inspired by the Middle Ages when xenophobia was rife, is bad.

UnclePhil

Deliberating from a screened-in porch.
kiwifarms.net
There are a few. I'll try to keep it short.

Scrubs/Community/Always Sunny/Golden Girls/Rooster Teeth/etc. etc. - The rush to burn down 'problematic' scenes and entire episodes from old shows in the wake of Gorge Floyd reaffirms what everybody feared from the Left and The Cloud(TM): memory-holing and purification. It's also you, the consumer, being part of a fiefdom and owning nothing. It just gives me even more to worry about while dealing with the pandemic.

Nu-Who - It went up the pooper with how brave and special it was, but that was long after I quit marathoning reruns (about halfway through the Astronaut Saga.) There were so many terrible episodes and writing decisions during Tennant's departure that whatever charm this show had bled out for me anyway.

The Simpsons - Has been slogging through mediocrity for 20 years. They drove in the last nails when they delegated Apu to silent background noise. But the final one is absolutely the "Stark Raving Dad" memory hole. After 30 seasons/corporate getting involved, it's inevitable you become what you used to mock. But the "Stark Raving Dad" decision goes beyond that. Al Jean, James Brooks and Matt Groening are scared of documentaries.

Pulling the episode from broadcast and streaming circulation is scary but serviceable. But no, they're planning to revise future physical media reprints. With that, I am done with this show and I have lost all my respect for its modern day book burners.

I’m super into D&D, both as a DM and a player, and though I’ll always enjoy it as a creative outlet and escape from reality, there’s a growing part of the fanbase that is super into identity politics and demands it be more inclusive.

Wizards of the Coast themselves did recently put out something about how Drow and orcs don’t have to be purely evil, and while I’ve played as a good aligned Drow before, it was also made clear that this statement was made in the wake of all the BLM protests so it seemed extra pander-y. It was something about fiction reflecting reality, so generalising an entire race as evil, even in a setting heavily inspired by the Middle Ages when xenophobia was rife, is bad.
The amount of drama WoTC made of flipping through future reprints to pull out wrongthink reminds of '90s soccer moms. And correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't rampaging Orcs and dragons mythological metaphors for the plague? I don't think they were ever supposed to be black, but we are of course living in an age where everything is placed under the galaxy's strongest microscope.

Ginger Piglet

Burglar of Jess Phillips MP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

#DrizztWasAnUncleTom

Terrifik

kiwifarms.net
The amount of drama WoTC made of flipping through future reprints to pull out wrongthink reminds of '90s soccer moms. And correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't rampaging Orcs and dragons mythological metaphors for the plague? I don't think they were ever supposed to be black, but we are of course living in an age where everything is placed under the galaxy's strongest microscope.
You forgot the WOTC books that people keep wanting to read to see if Chandra & elf nissa is lesbin's having sex but, keep being cucked by China Morallity & money Stick. :story:

HeyYou

All Troons Are Pedophiles
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Chickenfoot

kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't even mind it that much (although why is it so fucking late?) if they didn't use clips of anime out of context to get their message across. Fuck that, you didn't make it, don't warp it to your ends.
1598897753833.png

What made it worse is that supposely the video was edited by black people proving once and for all that niggas can't read and they don't know anything about anime for shit.

Agent Wet

Trash
kiwifarms.net
If I have a dollar for every time I seen stuff I like either directly or indirectly implode due to politics I would be rich. Overall I tend to believe that politics and life tend to mix about as well as water and oil but it feels like since 2016 people just want to infuse everything with politics no matter what and now of days it feels like that in overdrive due to BLM and the riots . The biggest examples in mind has already been said in this thread alone from many communities to the industries like comics where people just want you eat, breath and, sleep politics until you are just miserable as them and if say otherwise or haven forbid you just want to enjoy said media they see it as enough proof to see you as racist/sexist/altright or whatever the insult the day is you must have your voice and your life taken away. I truly believe that Twitter and by some extension social media is just this generation's religious right and over zealot fundies that think playing Pokemon will cause you to go to hell the only difference is this shit actually works because it's also coming from the inside. I can go on all day all stuff like how activism essentially just a lifestyle brand now or the internet at large but, I just hope it just leads to a burn out of this type of PR in the coming years.

TL;DR Corporate activism ruins everything and I hope it dies

Fromtheblackdepths

A Pelagic Horror Arrives
kiwifarms.net
You forgot the WOTC books that people keep wanting to read to see if Chandra & elf nissa is lesbin's having sex but, keep being cucked by China Morallity & money Stick. :story:
And that's why I stay in more obscure systems like DCC or Labyrinth Lord.

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oddly enough, the really early MTG tie in novels are actually quite good. The Rath Cycle novels are rather fun but the best ones are the super early ones before even the Weatherlight saga. They used to have tie in cards that were only available by sending off for them. At least one of them, Mana Crypt, got itself banned in every format and is worth a hell of a lot. Even the others are quite valuable because there's a limited number of them about.

"Arena" by William R. Fortschen is a bit meh, but it was the first MTG tie in work of any variety.

"Whispering Woods" and its two sequelae by Clayton Emery are really cool, in my view. And this is because there are no planar jaunts, enormous world-shattering spells, or canon characters that stretch for miles. It focuses on what all the normies are doing while the wizards and planeswalkers are battling it out amongst them, and the answer is, being caught in the middle and having a rough old time of it. In particular, it envisages the game translated into real life as battles between itinerant magical murderhobos who seek nothing but the acquisition of more power and mana, and fuck whoever gets in their way. Worth checking out definitely.

Clayton Emery later did a trilogy of books based on a couple of cards from the Legends set, which by his own admission were written solely for the money, but he subsequently arseholed doing any more work for WOTC because they treated him like shit. Oh. And none of his books are now considered canon.

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bring back THAC0 and Maximum Spells in Spellbook and Encumbrance and 18/50 Female Max.

DEATH THE CASUALS!
Bring back the ability to attract followers at 9th level and above as a fighter. I mentioned that as a 2E fighter, once I started attracting followers, our little troupe went from murderhoboing wizards and monsters and Orc clans to being a full on mercenary army, sacking cities, and living right down to Machiavelli's expectations of us. A high level fighter isn't just a devastatingly skilled duelist and warrior, but also a full on warlord. Four attacks at full whack (none of this +15/+10/+5 shit from 3E) per round (and with THAC0 either at zero or even negative, those attacks will most likely all connect), absolute mountains of hit points compared to other classes, heavy armour without penalty of any kind which is cumulative with DEX bonuses, able to shrug off or mitigate enemy spells nine times out of ten regardless of ability scores, the high level 2E fighter is basically one of those really annoying bossfights where they keep summoning an endless cavalcade of mooks while tanking most things you can throw at them.

This was very much an artefact from old D&D's origins in miniatures wargaming. But it was needed to solve the "wizard gets good at everything" problem. I also think that not a lot of players used it, possibly because it was labour intensive to roll and manoeuvre whole armies (thankfully we had a DM who devised his own homebrew thing to work out the outcomes of mass battles with an average of the troops' abilities and so forth, which allowed us the PCs to concentrate on being first through the breach) and also because they saw high level fighters as improbably skilled champions with superhuman abilities like in television or animu.

Of course, this then amongst other things (like the Ivory Tower Game Design philosophy) led to CoDzilla and the rest of the party being a life support system / meat shield for the group's wizard, who solved everything.

Tour of Italy

New York spaghetti, never forghetti
kiwifarms.net
Bring back the ability to attract followers at 9th level and above as a fighter. I mentioned that as a 2E fighter, once I started attracting followers, our little troupe went from murderhoboing wizards and monsters and Orc clans to being a full on mercenary army, sacking cities, and living right down to Machiavelli's expectations of us. A high level fighter isn't just a devastatingly skilled duelist and warrior, but also a full on warlord. Four attacks at full whack (none of this +15/+10/+5 shit from 3E) per round (and with THAC0 either at zero or even negative, those attacks will most likely all connect), absolute mountains of hit points compared to other classes, heavy armour without penalty of any kind which is cumulative with DEX bonuses, able to shrug off or mitigate enemy spells nine times out of ten regardless of ability scores, the high level 2E fighter is basically one of those really annoying bossfights where they keep summoning an endless cavalcade of mooks while tanking most things you can throw at them.

This was very much an artefact from old D&D's origins in miniatures wargaming. But it was needed to solve the "wizard gets good at everything" problem. I also think that not a lot of players used it, possibly because it was labour intensive to roll and manoeuvre whole armies (thankfully we had a DM who devised his own homebrew thing to work out the outcomes of mass battles with an average of the troops' abilities and so forth, which allowed us the PCs to concentrate on being first through the breach) and also because they saw high level fighters as improbably skilled champions with superhuman abilities like in television or animu.

Of course, this then amongst other things (like the Ivory Tower Game Design philosophy) led to CoDzilla and the rest of the party being a life support system / meat shield for the group's wizard, who solved everything.
Fighter had the highest base attack progression in 3E, maxing out at +20/+15/+10/+5. Rogues, Clerics, etc. were stuck with three, but not Fighters.

I’m not trying to start shit, I just cut my teeth on 3E and wanted to clarify. Still have a soft spot for it.

There was definitely still a problem with power imbalance at higher levels, but they weren’t that neutered in melee. The main problem was that they shared melee attack bonuses with Paladins and Rangers who actually had other useful shit. They tried to make up for the difference with a mountain of bonus feats for Fighters but fucked up by not making any of them actually worthwhile. Some support came later on in 3.5 and official sourcebooks, but unless you were house ruling or using ghetto third party splatbooks, fighters tended to lag. That or they were just a pit stop on the road to a more useful prestige class.

Tags
None