Creative works you enjoyed until politics happened - "How politics made me hate Welcome to Nightvale and other things"

Dave.

Not all heroes wear brass.
kiwifarms.net
The face I think looks better than the original (the original one looks pretty unsettling to be honest) but that “hairstyle” is ugly as hell. It just looks like a cheerleader plume accessory glued on to her head. I also watched gameplay footage and not so surprising they made her sound like a lesbian.

I Love Beef

お前わもう。。。。。満でるー!!!!
kiwifarms.net
The Trials of Mana 3D remake is the example of why I only trust translation patch groups in this day and age for localizations. I should had fucking known this would had happen with the renaming of Ninja's Trump into Ninja Star in the Secret of Mana remake.

It's awfully petty, but fuck you, current translation and script team at Square Enix. Even if everything has been somewhat mollified and sugared up from its original game regarding visual direction, Trials of Mana lost me with the translations. Trials of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3 is SUPPOSED to be edgy as fuck and fairy tale sweet at the same time to recapture the old whiplash moods of older fairy tales. Everything is on the line in the scenario, and the classes and their equipment are supposed to represent the archtypical extremes of morality to show the ambiguous illusion of what is supposed to be good or evil and that it's entirely up to the player to define it. Weapons, equipment, and techs/Class Strikes that are explicitly gruesome or have an obvious villainous bent to them got the shaft the hardest, like the Satan Flail, Bloody Mask, Skull Dissect, Deathstroke, Skeleton Mail, Manslaughter, to the Seiryuu Death Fist. Because I translate shit, all of them have appropriate flavor lore from official books that say that they are meant to cause gory deaths, come from occult rituals, or are meant to unleash crazed bloodlust and dark powers. What is in a name and the carpet matches the drapes defined.

The one class that takes the cake for me regarding this is the Ninja Master. The Ninja Master's equipment got bland as fuck naming conventions you'd find in Skyrim or something. Terralux Dagger? Stealth Vest? What, was Kongo Rakan too BLM offensive for you because it happened to have the name Kongo in it, and Fuma Mail appropriated Japanese culture with the Jutsu names too? Keep the Japanese names for the Japanese named classes and do your fucking job, assholes. The moment Square Enix gets the news that University of Michigan Deerborne created a segregation based cafe for SJW fuckery, I hope they hand you a pink slip.

I feel like that one old 4chan /v/ comic where an anon went apeshit at a shoe store over a store worker saying "casual". I need a fucking drink.

albertbrown26

FREE ASSANGE
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

albertbrown26

FREE ASSANGE
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

For once, someone fixed Toonami's BLM Speech and it's way better than the official one.

View attachment 1584453
Stay salty BLM.

View attachment 1584454
Stay salty.
View attachment 1584459
https://numeroscop.net/numerology_number_meanings/four_digit_numbers/number_6226.html
Apologize for double posting, but this somewhat does look rather cringeworthy even if this was meant to be an edit that was supposed to be optimistic. It also reminds me of why I either can’t watch anime dubbed, or trust people that think The Boondocks is anime related.

Last edited:

Chickenfoot

kiwifarms.net
The Trials of Mana 3D remake is the example of why I only trust translation patch groups in this day and age for localizations. I should had fucking known this would had happen with the renaming of Ninja's Trump into Ninja Star in the Secret of Mana remake.

It's awfully petty, but fuck you, current translation and script team at Square Enix. Even if everything has been somewhat mollified and sugared up from its original game regarding visual direction, Trials of Mana lost me with the translations. Trials of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3 is SUPPOSED to be edgy as fuck and fairy tale sweet at the same time to recapture the old whiplash moods of older fairy tales. Everything is on the line in the scenario, and the classes and their equipment are supposed to represent the archtypical extremes of morality to show the ambiguous illusion of what is supposed to be good or evil and that it's entirely up to the player to define it. Weapons, equipment, and techs/Class Strikes that are explicitly gruesome or have an obvious villainous bent to them got the shaft the hardest, like the Satan Flail, Bloody Mask, Skull Dissect, Deathstroke, Skeleton Mail, Manslaughter, to the Seiryuu Death Fist. Because I translate shit, all of them have appropriate flavor lore from official books that say that they are meant to cause gory deaths, come from occult rituals, or are meant to unleash crazed bloodlust and dark powers. What is in a name and the carpet matches the drapes defined.

The one class that takes the cake for me regarding this is the Ninja Master. The Ninja Master's equipment got bland as fuck naming conventions you'd find in Skyrim or something. Terralux Dagger? Stealth Vest? What, was Kongo Rakan too BLM offensive for you because it happened to have the name Kongo in it, and Fuma Mail appropriated Japanese culture with the Jutsu names too? Keep the Japanese names for the Japanese named classes and do your fucking job, assholes. The moment Square Enix gets the news that University of Michigan Deerborne created a segregation based cafe for SJW fuckery, I hope they hand you a pink slip.

I feel like that one old 4chan /v/ comic where an anon went apeshit at a shoe store over a store worker saying "casual". I need a fucking drink.
Did they see the future and thought Donald Trump translated the video game? LOL

I Love Beef

お前わもう。。。。。満でるー!!!!
kiwifarms.net
I never knew Trump was also behind all of the evil ninja cabals in the game either.

In all seriousness, if the SJWs are so offended that games about evil empires and the horrors of war are that "problematic", they seriously need to die in their absolutely safe spaces. JRPGs and video games, let alone the human experience are all about this topic.

None More Black

kiwifarms.net
i had to stop listening to Radiolab after they dedicated an entire episode to praising a queer black guy for winning a national debate championship by completely ignoring the debate topic and instead arguing that the entire concept of debate was racist against black people.

also, most punk/hardcore music i grew up listening to. i'm usually pretty good at being able to separate the artist from the art or whatever, and obviously i knew where most stood politically, but Trump made most of them get so dramatic it was pathetic to witness. after the election Nathan Gray from boysetsfire posted a video on his facebook where he was literally crying and rambled about how he's willing to go to war when Trump starts committing genocide against transgendered people.

potato fan

kiwifarms.net
"Discworld" series- while it touched progressive topics in the past- about race, religion, women empowerment, society, acceptance of others etc, but it was done in a balanced, and most importantly, funny way. Like when police captain who admits he is racist towards trolls and dwarves, but it's because he has to deal with their shitty ways on daily basis, and is iritated when people who have never met a troll spout racist shit, because their racism is not justified and comes from bigotry. Or a story about a dwarf female coming out as female, because in dwarven society all folks are male presenting (females too have beards), and being openly female is seen as degenerate. Or how you should not believe in racial stereotypes, like that dwarves are very greedy, coincidentally the most famous dwarven folk song, "Gold" has lyrics that is just the word "gold" repeated over and over
But in later books it seems theres way less humor around those issues, and more hamfisted attmepts to let you know that "SLAVERY IS BAD! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?? BAD!!!!!!"- there's new sentient race introduced, goblins, that apparently everyone is totes ok to enslave and kill with no remorse, and noone cares, except for the protagonist of course, and he fights slavers and frees the slaves, the end. Oh and some of them gblins are super talented and one of them gave concert in opera and everybody clapped. It's just fucking terrible.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
"Discworld" series- while it touched progressive topics in the past- about race, religion, women empowerment, society, acceptance of others etc, but it was done in a balanced, and most importantly, funny way. Like when police captain who admits he is racist towards trolls and dwarves, but it's because he has to deal with their shitty ways on daily basis, and is iritated when people who have never met a troll spout racist shit, because their racism is not justified and comes from bigotry. Or a story about a dwarf female coming out as female, because in dwarven society all folks are male presenting (females too have beards), and being openly female is seen as degenerate. Or how you should not believe in racial stereotypes, like that dwarves are very greedy, coincidentally the most famous dwarven folk song, "Gold" has lyrics that is just the word "gold" repeated over and over
But in later books it seems theres way less humor around those issues, and more hamfisted attmepts to let you know that "SLAVERY IS BAD! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?? BAD!!!!!!"- there's new sentient race introduced, goblins, that apparently everyone is totes ok to enslave and kill with no remorse, and noone cares, except for the protagonist of course, and he fights slavers and frees the slaves, the end. Oh and some of them gblins are super talented and one of them gave concert in opera and everybody clapped. It's just fucking terrible.
Wait for the upcoming BBC adaptation!

Goodbye Horses

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To be fair, the early-onset Alzheimer's was turning his brain to soup by that point.

Troon Draugur

Ghola-posting Naib
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I am willing to believe the conspiracy theory that later novels were ghostwritten by someone else. I prefer to believe it.
There were some that were confirmed to be written with assistance, perhaps that process started earlier than was disclosed; there's a lot of passages in the later works that don't read like Pratchett at all, sadly.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: UnsufficentBoobage

Goodbye Horses

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There were some that were confirmed to be written with assistance, perhaps that process started earlier than was disclosed; there's a lot of passages in the later works that don't read like Pratchett at all, sadly.
Unseen Academicals was the first one that noticeably didn't seem like it was written by Pratchett, at least to me.

UnsufficentBoobage

Atleast things I wanna fuck are 3D
kiwifarms.net
But in later books it seems theres way less humor around those issues, and more hamfisted attmepts to let you know that "SLAVERY IS BAD! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?? BAD!!!!!!"- there's new sentient race introduced, goblins, that apparently everyone is totes ok to enslave and kill with no remorse, and noone cares, except for the protagonist of course, and he fights slavers and frees the slaves, the end
The worst is how goblins were fully retconned into this shit, and initial mention of them was more like modern popculture silly guys. Oh yes, the things whom Patrician mentions spending all the time trying to grab themselves by the nose and missed, are suddenly Noble Savages, played completely straight.

And then there was that thing with the orc.

And Tiffany books are so shit, I literally do not touch them and consider "Raising steam" as the last book.

Speaking of it,
I have got a suspicion that promised "Taxes" became "Steam" because it was the only complete outline Pratchett had at the time, and "assistance" could not create a decent storyline fir their life.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was curious about their use of the word "Trump" there, and:

Due primarily to the prevalence of the trump in card games, the term used in Japan for the standard 52-card deck of playing cards is toranpu (トランプ), derived from the English word "trump".[6]
So the re-translation screwed up what the weapon even was in the first place, and they could have called them "Ninja Cards" instead. But no, "Ninja Star", because fuck spending two minutes researching why they'd use "Trump" as a name for a weapon. That's not localization, that's just laziness.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
From what I've heard, it's not even politics. Apparently the guy's been a jackass for some time.
From the very first moment of the very first episode the guy comes off as a jackass.

It opens with a shot of the sky and he says "It's the sky! And I know what you're thinking, there's nothing up there, well WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE'S NOTHING UP THERE!? THERE'S LOTS OF THINGS UP THERE!" in a really loud, obnoxious way.

The show was fascinating as a kid because all of the info was new to me, but as an adult and in the context of the present day, Bill Nye just comes off as a jackass.

basil marceaux.DOTCOM

kiwifarms.net
In my personal opinion, physical hobbies are much more satisfying and refreshing than media-based hobbies. Probably because it's more about learning what you can do.
I get your point here, but I think any sort of hobby can be refreshing if it's not merely a fallback for depression (you retreat into it, say, when times get rough, for example) or especially if you use it to cultivate new relationships and/or strengthen existing ones.

As, let's be real here, a nerd, I've made the most friends in my life through my media based hobbies, and I don't think the medium itself is really the issue. Just the approach.

When I was a young weeb back in the late 90's and early 00's, I quickly learned I couldn't trust dubs because they shamelessly edited everything to censor "inappropriate" content and change things that Americans were apparently too stupid to understand. 20 years later, I still can't trust dubs because now they shamelessly edit things to pander to certain political viewpoints.
I was so anti-dub in my most anime phase, first because of editing, but then because of pointless rewrites (I still stand by that somewhat, as there's no need to change something if there's no need to censor, but some of these people just feel the need. See: Justin Cook and early 2000's Funimation).
And to be fair, while I don't watch that much anime anymore, and will always prefer sub to dub (generally it just fits better), I also knew dubs had increased in quality substantially, so when I would catch one on TV, it wouldn't be bad or anything.

....Then I saw this:

Yeah, I've been out of the loop.

Still say it's safer to go subs every time, and there's no excuse not to, really.

Last edited:
Tags
None