Creepy Unsolved Mysteries - From unsolved murders to unidentified people to unexplained supernatural events, what are some of the creepiest unsolved mysteries you've ever heard of?

• We are being DDoS attacked still and 12,000 people are reading about incest. Expect weird errors. Most should go away by refreshing. Emails (registration / password reset) appear to be working; be sure to check spam.

THE MERGE IS ON.

1488 others

kiwifarms.net
This case gives me the creeps (mostly due to the suspect drawing but god). The unsolved serial child rapist Mr Cruel who raped three girls from the late 1980s to early 1990's in Melbourne, Australia. He also kidnapped and murder a fourth victim. He is suspected to be involved in more abduction cases and a couple of cold cases as well.
i was obsessed with this case.
and then i discovered i live just around the corner from the prime suspect (Brian Elkner).
after some snooping i found his address and confirmed it was his vehicle routinely parked outside. i drove by everyday. i'd heard that the police found a balaclava and knife hidden in his attic, so i always fantasised about breaking in to try and find more evidence lol.

for those who like podcasts i'd suggest the casefile episode for the run-down.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
Other people's money is a hell of a drug

It's like that joke that Peggy Bundy used to say on married with children. Who cares it's Al's credit card.
I think it was P.J. O'Rourke who described four types of spending:

Spending your money on yourself: Get the best deal of what you want but splurge occasionally if you really want something

Spend your money on other people: get the best deal possible and skip anything overly expensive.

Spend other people's money on yourself: Fuck cost, get the best.

Spend other people's money on other people: Who cares?

Given that government spending falls under the last, nobody pays attention.

Immortal Technique

©™
kiwifarms.net
This recording I always found creepy/fascinating from the Missing 411: The Hunted. It about hearing a large animal whooping and talking to another one as a bunch of hunters are in this shelter in the deep woods. The recording was from 1971. That famous Patterson–Gimlin film of bigfoot occurred in 1967; so it wasn't like bigfoot was a mainstream thing. Might just be a hoax, but if it's real, it's pretty spooky,

Shitty quality due to it being a YouTube Movie and it will be restricted from playing on this site:
If you want movie quality, you gotta watch it on YouTube. Start it at 1:15:00.

Last edited:

Rotogravure

TWISTY MISTY
kiwifarms.net
I didn't see this posted, but one that has always fascinated me are the Keddie Murders.

It's a long... long... long convoluted thing so I'll summarize from Wikipedia.

The Keddie murders is an unsolved 1981 quadruple homicide in Keddie, California, a rural resort town in the Sierra Nevada. The victims were Glenna Susan "Sue" Sharp (née Davis; born March 29, 1945); daughter Tina Louise Sharp (born July 22, 1968); son, John Steven Sharp (born November 16, 1965); and John's friend, Dana Hall Wingate (born February 8, 1964).

The murders took place in house #28 of the Keddie Resort during the late evening of April 11, 1981 or early the following morning. The bodies of Sue, John, and Dana were found on the morning of April 12 by Sue's 14-year-old daughter, Sheila, who had been sleeping at a friend's house. Sue's two younger sons, Rick and Greg, as well as their friend Justin Smartt, were also in the house, but were unharmed. Tina was missing from the scene.

Tina remained a missing person until June 1984, when her remains were positively identified through dental records. Her cranium was recovered at Camp Eighteen, California, near Feather Falls in Butte County on April 21, while her mandible and several other bones were found during a search in early June of that year. Multiple leads and suspects were examined in the intervening years, though no charges were filed. Several new leads were announced in the 21st century, including the recovery of a hammer from the Keddie pond in 2016, matching the one described by lead suspect, Martin Ray Smartt, which he'd claimed was 'missing'. The announcement of a DNA match to a 'living suspect' (Justin Smartt Eason) was also made.

If you want to start going down rabbit holes however, there is a website KEDDIE28.COM and in some way the people on that board are our autistic murder-hound cousins. (ETA: I haven't been to the website in years it looks like a lot of it is 404, but some should be available via wayback machine. It's worth it if you want to dig, I think)

Last edited:

Jamila

hopefully tomorrow is a day 🤞🤞🤞
kiwifarms.net
This recording I always found creepy/fascinating from the Missing 411: The Hunted. It about hearing a large animal whooping and talking to another one as a bunch of hunters are in this shelter in the deep woods. The recording was from 1971. That famous Patterson–Gimlin film of bigfoot occurred in 1967; so it wasn't like bigfoot was a mainstream thing. Might just be a hoax, but if it's real, it's pretty spooky,

Shitty quality due to it being a YouTube Movie and it will be restricted from playing on this site:
If you want movie quality, you gotta watch it on YouTube. Start it at 1:15:00.
I don't care if Paulides is a kook, I love Missing 411. Someone on Reddit a day or two ago actually looked into a bunch of the cases he listed in one of his books and found that a lot of them were actually found (dead or alive) not long after their "disappearances". It's still good spooky stuff if you're not going into it hellbent on disproving it. His appearances on Coast to Coast (at least with Knapp hosting) are super entertaining, super creepy, and the callers are hilarious. "UH YES HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THAT THIS MAY BE THE WORK OF A DEMON?"

NyQuilninja

drink me
kiwifarms.net
I don't care if Paulides is a kook, I love Missing 411. Someone on Reddit a day or two ago actually looked into a bunch of the cases he listed in one of his books and found that a lot of them were actually found (dead or alive) not long after their "disappearances". It's still good spooky stuff if you're not going into it hellbent on disproving it. His appearances on Coast to Coast (at least with Knapp hosting) are super entertaining, super creepy, and the callers are hilarious. "UH YES HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THAT THIS MAY BE THE WORK OF A DEMON?"
411 it the best kinda campfire ghost story/urban legend. Right up there with shadow people. If any of you kiwis have been camping in Americas vast national parks then you know it can get kinda spooky being alone in remote wilderness

PurpleSquirrel

I owe God five skulls.
kiwifarms.net
411 it the best kinda campfire ghost story/urban legend. Right up there with shadow people. If any of you kiwis have been camping in Americas vast national parks then you know it can get kinda spooky being alone in remote wilderness
There's a classic novella about two river-rafters menaced by an invisible, inaudible evil force in the wilderness that beautifully describes that feeling.

Immortal Technique

©™
kiwifarms.net
I'm not familiar with the books, so maybe it's different, but in the documentaries some bodies were found. The circumstances were just weird. Like Les Stroud, (Survivor Man) tried to recreate the suspected route that one kid was thought to have taken. He couldn't even do it in summer, but the kid did it in winter without shoes. Les is a real outdoorsman to;, that actually does the real outdoors living.

Bunny Tracks

Nothing equals the splendor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Unbelievably, after 44 years, Septic Tank Sam has finally been identified!

His name is Gordon Edwin Sanderson, and he was identified on June 29th, 2021. He was known as “Gordie” by his friends, and was 26-years-old when was murdered. He had planned on visiting his younger brother in Calgary, but never made it due to his subsequent death.

Sanderson was put into foster care when he was nine after the Sixties Scoop, an utterly horrific period of time where indigenous families could have their children legally taken from them, and put into the system to be adopted by white families. Afterwards, he struggled with addiction and had several run-ins with the law.

Sanderson’s heavily decomposed, and quicklime covered body was discovered in a septic tank by a couple scavenging on an abandoned property. He had been tied up, beaten, burned with a butane torch, and cigarettes and had his genitals mutilated so severely that it took an examiner several months to make sure he was male. He was eventually killed by two gun wounds to the head, and but given the severe rate of decomposition his body was found in, it is possible he suffered more.

Due to the severity, and nature of the crime, it’s theorized that Sanderson had been killed in revenge for a prior possible sexual assault, or for being an unfaithful partner, but nothing like that has ever been proven. Another prominent theory was that he was involved in criminal activities around the Edmonton area, but this hasn’t been proven either.

One of the officers who recovered Sanderson’s body had originally believed he would never be identified, even after he spent $1,000,000 CAD (Canadian Dollars) on the case, and sent X-Rays of Sanderson’s teeth to 800 dentists all across Canada. He has not been reached for comment as of yet.

Sanderson’s only known surviving family members are his older sister (whose DNA was used to help identify him), and daughter, but they have also not commented at this time. Investigators admit that there is a high-chance that Sanderson’s killer, or killers have passed away by now, but are working hard to still find them.
----
Processing Sanderson’s DNA is an amazing feat due to the severe amount of decomposition, and contamination his body was found in, not to mention considering how much time has passed since he was killed. If we process the DNA of a guy who was killed forty years ago, dropped into a septic tank, and then covered in quicklime, think of what else we can do!

Rest in peace, Gordie. You had the most violent death out of any Doe that’s been identified in this thread, and I desperately hope it’s not one you deserved-even more than I hope that we find out who did it to you in the first place.
1625188247425.png

Last edited:

Tootsie Bear

kiwifarms.net

His name is Gordon Edwin Sanderson, and he was identified on June 29th, 2021. He was known as “Gordie” by his friends, and was 26-years-old when was murdered. He had planned on visiting his younger brother in Calgary, but never made it due to his subsequent death.

Sanderson was put into foster care when he was nine after the Sixties Scoop, an utterly horrific period of time where indigenous families could have their children legally taken from them, and put into the system to be adopted by white families. Afterwards, he struggled with addiction and had several run-ins with the law.

Sanderson’s heavily decomposed, and quicklime covered body was discovered in a septic tank by a couple scavenging on an abandoned property. He had been tied up, beaten, burned with a butane torch, and cigarettes and had his genitals mutilated so severely that it took an examiner several months to make sure he was male. He was eventually killed by two gun wounds to the head, and but given the severe rate of decomposition his body was found in, it is possible he suffered more.

Due to the severity, and nature of the crime, it’s theorized that Sanderson had been killed in revenge for a prior possible sexual assault, or for being an unfaithful partner, but nothing like that has ever been proven. Another prominent theory was that he was involved in criminal activities around the Edmonton area, but this hasn’t been proven either.

One of the officers who recovered Sanderson’s body had originally believed he would never be identified, even after he spent $1,000,000 CAD (Canadian Dollars) on the case, and sent X-Rays of Sanderson’s teeth to 800 dentists all across Canada. He has not been reached for comment as of yet.

Sanderson’s only known surviving family members are his older sister (whose DNA was used to help identify him), and daughter, but they have also not commented at this time. Investigators admit that there is a high-chance that Sanderson’s killer, or killers have passed away by now, but are working hard to still find them.
----
Processing Sanderson’s DNA is an amazing feat due to the severe amount of decomposition, and contamination his body was found in, not to mention considering how much time has passed since he was killed. If we process the DNA of a guy who was killed forty years ago, dropped into a septic tank, and then covered in quicklime, think of what else we can do!

Rest in peace, Gordie. You had the most violent death out of any Doe that’s been identified in this thread, and I desperately hope it’s not one you deserved-even more than I hope we find out who did it to you in the first place.
View attachment 2308770
Sounds like he met the wrong end of some drug dealer or gang. Wouldn't surprise me they took him out and tried to dispose of the body.

PurpleSquirrel

I owe God five skulls.
kiwifarms.net

----

Rest in peace, Gordie. You had the most violent death out of any Doe that’s been identified in this thread, and I desperately hope it’s not one you deserved-even more than I hope we find out who did it to you in the first place.
View attachment 2308770
Wow! I always thought that "Sam" would never be identified. Glad to hear he finally has a name and a backstory, and that his relatives have some sense of closure.

It sounds as if Gordie got mixed up with some genuinely fiendish people. Now that he's been identified, it will be much easier to find the people who killed him in such a sadistic, stomach-churning manner.

Crex Crex

Crashing this plane with no survivors
kiwifarms.net

----

Rest in peace, Gordie. You had the most violent death out of any Doe that’s been identified in this thread, and I desperately hope it’s not one you deserved-even more than I hope that we find out who did it to you in the first place.
View attachment 2308770
In the photos he looks like a really fun, nice dude. A far cry from that creepy reconstruction.

SmotheredHope

kiwifarms.net
When I was a kid, there was one Unsolved Mysteries segment that scared the hell out of me. It concerned a family in Wisconsin in 1986. They moved into a house and after they bought secondhand bunk beds, all kinds of weird shit started happening. The children would be terrorized by what they described as a witch with glowing red eyes and an aura like fire. They were constantly sick, too. The father described having overpowering feelings of dread, fearing he'd come home one day from work and they'd all be dead, having been violently murdered. One night he came home and saw a fire in his garage but when he ran to his front door and looked back, it was gone. He also described a mist that gathered inside the house one night, and being menaced by a disembodied voice. He asked a relative, a hardened skeptic, to stay with his family one night while he was at work. Not long after they all settled down for bed, the relative became a believer when the same spectral being that constantly frightened the children appeared to him. That was the last straw for the mother-she and the relative and the children fled the house and never returned. Later, they had the bunk beds destroyed.

Here's the segment. Apparently, it scared so many people they rarely aired it again after it premiered.