Creepy Unsolved Mysteries - From unsolved murders to unidentified people to unexplained supernatural events, what are some of the creepiest unsolved mysteries you've ever heard of?

Coleman Francis

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Years ago I listened to this podcast from Binnall of America where he interviewed a Kendall Carver who runs the site, International Cruise Victims. It paints a horrifying look into how many people go missing on cruise ships and the amount of crime on them, its staggering and I will never set foot on a cruise ship 😬 Its also super interesting and a very deep rabbit hole to go into.

Disappearance of Rebecca Coriam

Article - The dark side of cruises

I think cruise ships are a great place for people who want to get rid of a meddlesome wife if they're so inclined. Just throw her overboard and say she must've gotten off the ship at one of the third world ports without having her room key scanned, and never got back on.

Cruise ships are kind of strange in a way. I went on a 7 day cruise at the end of last year, my first time and probably the last time I go for that long. But it's interesting how you can stop in these third world tourist towns and buy bags full of valiums and xanex in the pharmacies, which they strategically locate on the street right next to where the cruise ships dock. There are whore houses nearby as well. All these things that would get you in a bit of trouble at home are conveniently located a short distance from the dock. It's pretty neat.

EDIT: I thought of something else I witnessed on my single cruise and have heard from several others who had it happen on theirs. Someone on the ship with me did something that got them in enough trouble for the cruise ship security to confine them to their room the entire rest of the trip. It happened on the second night of a seven day cruise, so that's at least 5 full days of confinement in their room, and I'm pretty sure they had a regular room which is about half the size of a regular motel room and no windows. They didn't even have one of the nice state rooms that are larger with an open balcony you could go on for some fresh air. I heard they'll also quarantine people in their rooms if they get sick with something contagious like the flu or a stomach virus. This person did something illegal tho, cuz the police were waiting for them as soon as we disembarked back in the United States. A couple coworkers and friends told me about this happening on their cruises too.

There's usually at least one death or severe medical situation on every cruise too, according to people I met on the trip who go on a few cruises each year. They said that more times than not, some elderly person will end up dying of a heart attack or something similar during the trip. That's not all that shocking though, since they have over 1000 people on the ship IIRC, and a large percentage of them are very elderly.

Last edited:

Bunny Tracks

You and I'll be safe and sound
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

REGENDarySumanai

"Good morning motherfuckers!" - Kiryuu Coco
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is the one case I want more than any other to be solved in my lifetime. I hope they find out who this kid is, and if possible, who did this to him and put them to justice. Someone has to know something, and time is running out.
Thankfully, the person who detailed the Golden State Killer is on the case.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
December 30th, 2000, someone kills a family of four, then decides to hang out for a while. Eats their food, goes on their computer, takes a dump in their bathroom. The killer leaves behind a ton of evidence including blood and fingerprints, but has still not been found.

Oh, I've heard about that. Strangest of all is that sand from his shoes was identified as California's sand, but not just any sand, one from airforce base or something like that.

Edit: I'll add Richey Edwards' disappearance. To this day it's not clear if he just killed himself (his car was found near the bridge) or just run away to live a quiet life (he talked about fame being too exhausting for him). No body was found, but in 2008 he was declared dead.

Last edited:

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
The black dahlia murder still unsolved to this day and even though Elizabeth short was the only victim. Her death is considered the American Jack the ripper, she was beaten cut in half had a forced smile cut into her face and her own feces were stuffed in her mouth and it's possible the killer had sex with her disembodied legs something was forced into her posthumously.

black-dahlia01.jpg

Last edited:

Chan Fan

Quarantine Queen
kiwifarms.net
The black dahlia murder still unsolved to this day and even though Elizabeth short was the only victim. Her death is considered the American Jack the ripper, she was beaten cut in half had a forced smile cut into her face and her own feces were stuffed in her mouth and it's possible the killer had sex with her disembodied legs something was forced into her posthumously.
View attachment 1341959
Weren't you asked to put a spoiler over a similar pic in a different thread? Please do that here too

Bunny Tracks

You and I'll be safe and sound
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Murder of Monika Rizzo: A woman named Monika Rizzo suddenly disappeared on May 5th, 1997. After an anonymous tip, suspicion falls on her husband. Her husband swears that they had a good marriage despite the fact Monika's coworkers had been so concerned by Monika's frequent bruised and battered appearance that they called the cops to do a welfare check on her before her disappearance.

When the backyard was searched, dozens of bones and bone fragments were found buried in the ground, under tires, and even inside a gas grill. Not just human bones, either. Various animal bones and a jawbone belonging to a cow were also found. The bones were in such horrible condition that's speculated that might've been put through a woodchipper beforehand. The bone fragments were identified as being Monika's.

Also, a literal bag of human flesh was found in the backyard, too.

No one has ever been officially charged with her death and the case remains unsolved.

Last edited:

Stardust

Ģιίττεર ƣƲεεɴ
kiwifarms.net
Before he was caught, the Golden State Killer. With his capture, it was interesting to go back and fill in the blanks, or see whose theory turned out accurate.

The Springfield Three. A frustratingly sad case. Recently saw a trailer for a short film about this, so interest may pick up again. The rabbit hole on this one is deep.

Chan Fan

Quarantine Queen
kiwifarms.net
The Springfield Three
Speaking of three, The West Memphis Three. This name typically refers to the three teens who were believed to have killed three boys. To make a very long story short, the teens were wrongfully convicted and later released from prison (though there are people who believe at least one of them was guilty all along.) There are a few documentaries and movies about them and all have varying angles on who they believe the killer/s was/were. Three boys - Steve Branch, Christopher Byers and James Michael Moore - were found dead in a creek, viciously murdered, mutilated and possibly raped. I'm going to leave it at that and allow anyone who wants more information to search it out for themselves.

The trial was considered mishandled at best. One possible lead was a mentally disabled man in the ladies bathroom at a Bojangles restaurant who was bleeding and got blood on the walls. The police officer who arrived made the police report through the drive thru window and never entered the restroom. This took place on the day the boys were killed. The following day another officer was given sunglasses the man left behind and the officer took bloods scrapings that were later lost. The man was never found.

A big part of the investigation was that the teens thought to have murdered the boys were into the occult, and the prosecution believed the boys were killed as part of a "ritual sacrifice." The investigation into the mutilation done to the boys was believed to have been done by someone with surgical knowledge, which none of the teens had.

This case has tons of information, I barely scratched the surface with what I mentioned. The boys' killer(s?) has never been found.

Dysnomia

Party like it's COVID-1999
kiwifarms.net
This is the one case I want more than any other to be solved in my lifetime. I hope they find out who this kid is, and if possible, who did this to him and put them to justice. Someone has to know something, and time is running out.
I still believe that woman who came forward may have been telling the truth. She was discounted for being mentally unstable. But if your childhood was that bad I don't think all your crayons would be in the box either. She stated that her mother bought the boy to molest and abuse. She also knew about the baked beans being his last meal. At the time that information was not public.

Another possibility they looked into was the Nicoletti house. They had many foster children and the blanket was the same as the ones the other children had. However, those cheap blankets were very common. Most people probably had one laying around. I went to school with a Nicoletti. My uncle told me that most of the ones in Philly are related somehow and he knew one too. Kinda makes me feel weird now for some reason. If you are housing that many foster kids something weird must be up unless you more pious than Jesus himself.

REGENDarySumanai

"Good morning motherfuckers!" - Kiryuu Coco
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Springfield Three. A frustratingly sad case. Recently saw a trailer for a short film about this, so interest may pick up again. The rabbit hole on this one is deep.
I know about this one and it's fucked. On June 6th, 1992, three women, Suzanne E. Streeter (19), her mother, Sherill E. Levitt (47), and Streeter's friend, Stacy K. McCall (18) were going around to various graduation parties (both Streeter and McCall graduated high school) and went back to Sherill's house (1717 E. Delmar Street) to spend the night. Between 2:15 AM and 7:30 AM, all three of them disappeared and haven't been seen since. All personal belongings, such as their purse, Cinnamon the dog, and cars, were left behind and there was a broken porch light globe, along with a message on the answering machine that would've provided more clues, but it was inadvertently deleted by friends who arrived. Police couldn't get much info since the crime scene was corrupted by 10-20 people. Foul play is highly suspected in their disappearances. Suzanne's brother, Bartt Streeter, was arrested in 2019 for public intoxication (can't blame him for that one), disorderly conduct, and attempted false imprisonment.

The disappearances of Patricia Spencer (16) and Pamela Sue Hobley (15). On October 31st, 1969, Patricia Spencer and Pamela Sue Hobley of Oscoda, Michigan skipped school on the day of homecoming and were never seen again. They were not considered friends. Both girls left their purses and forms of identification behind when they disappeared. Foul play is 100% suspected in this case and there were rumors that Hobley experimented with drugs and alcohol, along with the fact that she did activities that her family didn't approve of. She also accepted a marriage proposal from her boyfriend at the time.

The disappearance of Jerry Lee Armstrong. High school senior Jerry Lee Armstrong (17) was the quarterback on the Hernando High School football team who disappeared in his brother's 1973 Pontiac Lemans on December 23rd, 1977 after dropping off his girlfriend from a school dance at approx. 11:00 PM. Jerry was an ordinary teenager who had no enemies and no reason for anyone to hurt him. The Lemans was never recovered and it's heavily suspected that Jerry was killed.

Last edited:

Oscar Wildean

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Frederick Valentich's disappearance. I've always wondered what happened to him, if it was real, and where he went.

On the evening of October 21, Valentich departed for a training flight, from Moorabbin to King Island, a 125-mile trek over the Bass Strait.

At 7:06 PM, Valentich radioed the Melbourne Flight Service to report an unidentified aircraft following him at 4,500 feet. The service told him there was no traffic near him at the time. Valentich insisted he could see a large unknown aircraft near him, which appeared to have four bright landing lights, all illuminated. He claimed it passed 1,000 feet above him, moving at high speed.

For another five minutes, he reported the aircraft’s movements. He claimed it moved toward him, that he thought the other pilot was toying with him and that it was “orbiting” above him.

The only description, besides the four landing lights, that Valentich was able to give was that the aircraft’s exterior was a shiny and metallic, and that it had a green light on it.

A few minutes after first radioing the Melbourne Flight Service, Valentich reported he was having engine trouble. The radio officials asked him once more to identify the other aircraft.

“It isn’t an aircraft,” he managed to respond, right before the transmission was cut off. The last sound the radio officials heard was a “metallic, scraping sound.”

Radio officials at the Melbourne Flight Service assumed that Frederick Valentich had crashed, but an initial sea and air search of the area he was last reported in turned up nothing.

A recreation of his audio conversation because no known tapes exist and the only thing left is the transcript.

19:06:14 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Melbourne, this is Delta Sierra Juliet. Is there any known traffic below five thousand?

19:06:23 Melbourne Flight Service Unit: Delta Sierra Juliet, no known traffic.

19:06:26 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Delta Sierra Juliet. I am… seems to be a large aircraft below five thousand.

19:06:46 Melbourne Flight Service Unit: Delta Sierra Juliet, what type of aircraft is it?

19:06:50 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Delta Sierra Juliet. I cannot affirm. It is four bright… it seems to me like landing lights.

19:07:32 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Melbourne, this is Delta Sierra Juliet. The aircraft has just passed over me at least a thousand feet above.

19:07:43 Melbourne Flight Service Unit: Delta Sierra Juliet, Roger. And it is a large aircraft? Confirm.

19:07:47 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Er, unknown, due to the speed it’s travelling. Is there any air force aircraft in the vicinity?

19:07:57 Melbourne Flight Service Unit: Delta Sierra Juliet, no known aircraft in the vicinity.

19:08:18 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Melbourne, it’s approaching now from due east, towards me.

19:08:28 Melbourne Flight Service Unit: Delta Sierra Juliet.

19:08:42 —: [open microphone for two seconds]

19:08:49 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Delta Sierra Juliet. It seems to me that he’s playing some sort of game. He’s flying over me two, three times at a time, at speeds I could not identify.

19:09:02 Melbourne Flight Service Unit: Delta Sierra Juliet, roger. What is your actual level?

19:09:06 VH-DSJ (Valentich): My level is four and a half thousand. Four Five Zero Zero.

19:09:11 Melbourne Flight Service Unit: Delta Sierra Juliet and confirm you cannot identify the aircraft.

19:09:14 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Affirmative.

19:09:18 Melbourne Flight Service Unit: Delta Sierra Juliet, roger. Standby.

19:09:28 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Melbourne, Delta Sierra Juliet. It’s not an aircraft, it is… [open microphone for five seconds]

19:09:46 Melbourne Flight Service Unit: Delta Sierra Juliet, can you describe the, er, aircraft?

19:09:52 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Delta Sierra Juliet. As it’s flying past it’s a long shape. [open microphone for three seconds] Cannot identify more than that it has such speed. [open microphone for three seconds] Before me right now, Melbourne.

19:10:07 Melbourne Flight Service Unit: Delta Sierra Juliet, roger. And how large would the, er, object be?

19:10:20 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Delta Sierra Juliet, Melbourne. It seems like it’s a stationary. What I’m doing right now is orbiting and the thing is just orbiting on top of me. Also it’s got a green light and sort of metallic-like. It’s all shiny on the outside.

19:10:48 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Delta Sierra Juliet…[open microphone for five seconds] It’s just vanished.

19:10:57 Melbourne Flight Service Unit: Delta Sierra Juliet.

19:11:03 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Melbourne, would you know what kind of aircraft I’ve got? Is it a military aircraft?

19:11:08 Melbourne Flight Service Unit: Delta Sierra Juliet, confirm that the, er, aircraft just vanished?

19:11:14 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Say again?

19:11:17 Melbourne Flight Service Unit: Delta Sierra Juliet, is the aircraft still with you?

19:11:23 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Delta Sierra Juliet it’s ah no…[open microphone for two seconds] Now approaching from the south west.

19:11:52 VH-DSJ (Valentich): Delta Sierra Juliet. The engine is, is rough idling. I’ve got it set at twenty three/twenty four and the thing is coughing.

19:12:04 Melbourne Flight Service Unit: Delta Sierra Juliet, roger. What are your intentions?

19:12:09 VH-DSJ (Valentich): My intentions are ah to go to King Island. Ah, Melbourne, that strange aircraft is hovering on top of me again. [two seconds open microphone] It’s hovering and it’s not an aircraft.

Mr. ShadowCreek

kiwifarms.net
The disapprence of Lars Mittank: In 2014 Lars was on vacation with a group of friends in Bulgaria at a resort. While there he got into a fight which resulted in damage to his ear. When it was time to go the doctor suggested to not leave as his ear needed to heal. So his friends left and he stayed. While there Lars became paranoid and called his mother claiming he was being followed by a group of men. He told his mom to cancel his credit cards. While on the say to the doctors office on the day he was supposed to leave he was caught on camera entering the office holding his bags. He is then seen running out the office as if he were running from something and outside. He was last seen climbing a fence and ran into the woods nearby. He hasn't been seen sense.

The disappearance of Mikelle Biggs: On January 2, 1999 Mikelle and her little sister heard an ice cream truck and went outside to wait for it. It was taking longer then it should have and Kimber went inside when she got cold. Half a minute later their mother told Kimber to get her sister as it was getting dark outside. Kimber went to get her but when she got there Mikelle was gone. All's that was left was the ice cream money and their bike with the wheel still spinning. The police were called in and they and the neighborhood searched for her but came out with nothing. Eventually they came to terms that she was probably dead. There was one big suspect as one of their neighbors was a registered sex offender. He claimed to be watching a football game in the garage when it happened. His wife conformed this but she couldn't conform he was watching the game at the moment Mikelle disappeared. There wasn't enough evidence and he was cleared. He later went to jail for another crime but still claims he wasn''t involved with Mikelle. In 2018 some new news came in. A dollar bill with Mikelle name. It read "My name is Mikel Biggs. I was kindnapped from Mesa Arizona. I'm alive" This reopened the case but their were doubts. Mikelle's name was spelled wrong and the handwringing was like a childs. Some think Mikelle might have gotten head trauma which is why her name is wrong. Some think it might have been written in a rush. Hopeful people also say the Mikelle's handwriting would still be 3rd grade level as she hasn't been to school for 20 years. Skeptics think it's odd that there no description where she is being held. The bill is Series 2009 which meant it was 9 years old at the oldest. There is doubt it's been going everywhere with words on it for a decade and unnoticed. Because of that many think it was written recently. There has been nothing new since.

The disappearance of Bobby Dunbar" In 1912 when on vacation with his family 4 year old Bobby Dunbar disappeared. After a months it seemed he was found in another city with a handyman. He claimed this boy was the son of a woman who worked for him and his name was Bruce Anderson. Both mothers were allowed to see the boy undressed. Mrs. Anderson wasn't sure which made some skeptic. Eventually the boy was declared Bobby Dunbar and lived the rest of his life as such. He graduated, got married, had kids, and died in 1966. in 2004 a grand daughter of Bobby tested their DNA to solved it once and for all. It was found out the boy was not Bobby Dunbar but rather Bruce Anderson. What happened to the real Bobby Dunbar is unknown. Some think though he was eaten or attacked by an alligator as they were known to be in the area the Dunbars vacationed in.

Last edited:

Sundae

Weird-Ass Puppet Dog
kiwifarms.net
The Man From Taured:

The year 1954 was hotter than normal in Tokyo, but at Haneda Airport it was business as usual. That is, of course, until one unknown date when a routine European inbound plane dropped off its passengers. As the crowd made its way through customs, a neatly-dressed middle-aged Caucasian man stepped up and told officials this was just a normal business trip or him, one of three so far this year to Japan. His primary language was French, yet he spoke Japanese and several other languages. In his wallet was a variety of currencies from various European countries, as if to verify his frequent flyer tendencies.

When they asked him for his country of origin, things became strange. He casually stated that he was from Taured, on the border between France and Spain. The officials told him that Taured didn’t exist, but he presented them with his passport—issued by the nonexistent country of Taured—which also showed visa stamps corroborating his previous business travels to Japan and other countries. Yet when they called the company he said he was having a meeting with, they had never heard of him or his company ever before that moment. The hotel he had reserved a room at had no reservation for such a person, and the bank listed on his checkbook appeared not to exist.

The bearded man scoffed; surely, this was some elaborate practical joke for his benefit. Customs officials showed him a world map and pointed to the tiny country of Andorra. Perhaps that was his real country of origin and somehow he was either mistaken or having his own little joke? The man became irate, saying that Andorra didn’t exist but it was right where Taured should be. His proud country had existed for a thousand years. Still in shock over his misplaced homeland, the mystery man was detained by customs and given a room at a nearby hotel for the night while officials tried to figure out what was going on.

The following morning, the mystery deepened. Taured’s one and only known resident completely vanished from his hotel room which had been guarded by immigration officials all night long. And to make matters worse, all of his personal documents—including his passport and drivers license issued by the mystery country—vanished from the airport’s security room. Police and airport officials searched in vain for the mysterious man. It was as if the whole encounter had never actually happened.

No documentation verifying this story has yet surfaced, but it was mentioned in several books, including The Directory of Possibilities (1981, p. 86) and Strange But True: Mysterious and Bizarre People (1999, p. 64). And given its puzzling ending, I doubt that any official would have written up a report concluding that the man and all his documented evidence simply vanished.

Surprisingly, misplaced travelers such as the business man from Taured have appeared on many occasions. In 1851, a man was found wandering Frankfurt an der Oder in northeast Germany who claimed he was from a country called Laxaria on the continent of Sakria. Another young man who spoke a completely unrecognizable language was caught stealing a loaf of bread in Paris in 1905; he said he was from Lizbia, which authorities assumed was Lisbon—or Lisboa in Portuguese, yet his language was not Portuguese nor did he recognize a map of Portugal as his homeland.

Is Taured out there somewhere? And what about Laxaria or Liziba? Did these men fall backward through time or pass through dimensions? Or were they simply perpetrating a hoax or mentally ill?
The story of Gil Pérez, a Spanish soldier who, in 1593, supposedly teleported from Manila in the Philippines to the Plaza Mayor in Mexico:

In fiction, ESP, time travel, and teleportation are common story arcs. (Just try counting how many books, movies, or television shows were released this year that feature time-defying tropes.) And why not? It's a fascinating concept especially since physicists say it's completely possible. Most times, however, the truth is stranger than fiction.

Take for example the Moberly-Jourdain incident, in which two women, Charlotte Anne Moberly and Eleanor Jourdain, claimed to have time traveled while visiting the Palace of Versailles in 1901. The story goes that, after they got lost while walking through the gardens to the Petit Trianon, the two noticed that everything looked out of the ordinary, as if they were in a living picture. They even claimed to have come across Marie Antoinette, insinuating they had experienced a haunting or they had time-traveled to the 18th century. Though the incident has been repeatedly debunked and labeled a hoax, it's still something to think about.

While the Moberly-Jourdain incident remains to be one of the most well-known supernatural urban legends, years before, there was the mysterious case of Spanish soldier Gil Pérez who allegedly teleported from Manila to Mexico in the 16th century.

Gil Pérez was a Spanish soldier during the early years of Spain's rule in the Philippines. As a member of the Guardia Civil, he worked for the Gobernador-General as a palace guard. One day, however, in October 1593, the seventh Gobernador-General Gómez Pérez Dasmariñas was assassinated by Chinese pirates during an expedition in the Moluccas. Dasmariñas' death made for quite a hectic time considering he hadn't decided on a successor, with several prominent Spaniards vying for the spot.

With such tense conditions, Pérez was guarding the palace when he reportedly began to feel dizzy and exhausted. He then leaned against the wall and dozed off for a few seconds, but when he opened his eyes he was surprised to see that he was in a completely different place. When he asked a bystander where he was, he was told that he was in Plaza Mayor (now known as Zocalo) in Mexico City. Soon, guards in New Spain got wind of Pérez thanks to his claims and his strange Manila uniform. He was brought to the authorities, including the Viceroy of New Spain, Luis de Velasco, whose palace was where he was transported to.

Though understandably shocked, Pérez managed to answer all of their queries in great detail, including the assassination of Dasmariñas, which, since it had only happened the night before, would not be proven until months later. While the Viceroy was pleased with Pérez's explanations, it was only time until religious officials got involved. He was turned over to the Holy Office of the Inquisition, commonly known as the Spanish Inquisition, for further questioning. From Mexico, he was taken to Santo Domingo in the Caribbean where he was placed in jail for desertion and being a "servant of the devil."

As a loyal and decorated soldier, Pérez took everything in stride and cooperated with the authorities. It was even said that he preferred being jailed over fighting the jungle men of the Philippines. Eventually, he was found to be a devout Christian and, coupled with his good conduct, he wasn't charged with any crime. But still, the authorities didn't know what to do with the unique situation and kept him imprisoned until they came to a solid decision.

One day, a Spanish galleon arrived in Acapulco to reveal all of Pérez's claims about the Gobernador-General were true. He was recalled to Mexico where some of the passengers even recognized him as a palace guard. With this, he was freed and sent back on the next ship to Manila.

Tags
None