Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel - Who the fuck got Facebook faggots into my True Crime?

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Its been awhile since I reviewed something, so I figured I'd do this instead of my research because lol. Now, a bit of background. I've been a lover of true crime since I was a kid. Ever since I learned to read. My dad had 'Helter Skelter' laying around the house, which if you know, it basically started the genre. I was hooked. I learned everything I could about serial killers and disappearances and strange crimes like D.B. Cooper. I read 'In Cold Blood'. Constantly watched Unsolved Mysteries and turned my brain off during the ghost and alien segments. It really stemmed from me wanting to solve a basic question: Why are these people so fucked up? In fact, one of my first ever 'what do you want to do when you grow up' was to join the FBI. I even went on a tour of Quantico and got a hat.

I have to say, the desire didn't really fade, it was just taken over by other interests. I'd basically burned myself out on it for years. I never really answered the question: Why are people so fucked up? In college, it was sort of re-ignited. I took forensic psychology courses and basic forensics. Some of you might know I did my Bachelor's Dissertation in Forensic Psych on pedophiles. The reason I chose them was because it was an area I'd never explored and stayed far away from. To combat darkness, you have to (sadly) try and understand it. All I learned that people are fucking evil, slaves to their desires and any civilized society would put people like that on their knees, dig a hole and put a bullet in them too. Especially the gangs of human traffickers who produce it. No torture is too much for them.

It fucked me up and really did put me off going to the FBI because I just couldn't handle dealing with that. I'd probably burn out and just shoot a monster and go to jail.

So, what does this have to do with this documentary? Its why I'm so pissed at it. As someone who loves true crime, investigation, forensic psychology, its fucking...ugh. Its to give you context as to why it pisses me off.

tl;dr I've loved true crime all my life and this doc fucking pissed me off

Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel

So I'm going to spoil the mystery and everything. If you want to give it a watch, you can do so. This has to do with one of the weirder true crime cases. It was from a bit ago. Remember that weird video of the Asian girl in the elevator? This one?

Its all about this. The Cecil Hotel lies within skid row. The first part of the doc is about this and is pretty interesting, but it exposes some problems later. The hotel is surrounded by LA's skid row. Basically, LA balkanized an area and threw every single undesirable and caged them into one place. Open air drug markets, prostitution, crazy people, drug addicts, it has it all. And in this area is this hotel. During the 1960s through the 1990s, it was basically filled with homeless, drug dealers, pimps and prostitutes. It already had a history of murder and people killing themselves from the 30s and 40s. So this hotel is surrounded by a lot of death.

Sometime around 2000, someone bought it and tried to re-vamp it. Except the only fucking retards to stay in it were foreigners because they saw it was extremely cheap and never fucking wondered why. I get LA is expensive, but you could have feces thrown at you, get shanked by a crazy person, get offered drugs and get shot by the person who offered you drugs all in the same night.

So when they were interviewing this British couple about how horrible it was, I couldn't help but fucking laugh at them. You don't investigate the are of a place you are staying in, in a country which you have no clue about? In an infamous city with lots of crime? Idiots.

There's this manager who tries to defend the hotel's reputation early on in the documentary: "You know, it really isn't fair what they say about us"

*An episode later*

"While I was employed there, there were 80 deaths."

Fucking hysterical.

Well, this Canadian Girl, uh....Ellen Pao Elisa Lam is the one who vanished. They go over a little about her history and then the discovery of her body. If you don't know, she was found in the roof water tower, completely naked and very obviously dead. Again, a Canadian Girl, not knowing any better. We first get introduced to the detectives and the investigation. Who look exceedingly tired (you'll find out why soon enough). They go over the absolute exhaustive search for her when she first vanished, from searching literally every room in the hotel, to the basement, to shaking down Skid Row, to questioning delivery guys, the works. But they don't find shit, not even with dogs. They say that all the doors to the water towers were closed. They go over hours and hours of video footage. And they go to the media eventually for help, and posted the video I just showed you above. And enter....

Web Sleuthing Faggots

This is easily the worst part of the documentary by far. Instead of going over more murders or crimes at the Cecil Hotel as interesting flavor, we have to fucking deal with these fucking boomers and faggots. There was a YouTube faggot and a guy who ran the Facebook Group, a guy I'll call Creepy Dentist. He spent thousands of hours on the case. They looked into the video, going frame by frame. They go over her social media posts. There were other YouTube cunts in the video. They literally mistake the back of her foot when she leaves the elevator for another foot, thinking it was a person, because she twisted her body as she exited.

They go over the video. And discover the time stamp is fucked up, and some of the video had been edited out. Oh no! Its a cover-up by the hotel! That is literally home to constant murder, rape and death in one of the most dangerous areas of the country! And the LAPD! For....some reason.

The shit really exploded when the finally found the body. And of course, every single YouTuber and Face booker and the creepy dentist thought she was murdered and that the LAPD not calling it a homicide was a travesty. Creepy Dentist says, "Its up to every single one of us, to get justice." I'm sure you'll do some good. We'll find out in a bit.

So, with absolutely no physical, forensic, or circumstantial evidence that a violent crime occurred, the sleuths were appalled. Surely this had to be a murder! After all, she's pushing every one of the buttons in the elevator! Then of course you have idiots filming themselves going to the hotel and 'investigating' months after she was there for some fucking reason. They were so desperate they even picked up on this conspiracy theory that she was some sort of fucking agent for the government and disappeared because a TB outbreak was in the area (not uncommon) and that the test for TB was named ELISA-LAM. I'm not fucking joking. They thought a standard test in medicine and science had to do with her death. They just need to find the truth guys, hundreds of hours. Why didn't they release the autopsy?! Oh it was faked! Look at the two dates!

Then eventually, they find their suspect. A Death Metal YouTuber with like five views who stayed in the Cecil hotel in February. So of course, they immediately dox him and start harrasing him, calling him a murderer and shit.

So. Through the doc, we learn tidbits about Elisa, obviously not to spoil it. But I'll sum it up:

She had Bipolar I, the most severe form of Bipolar disorder with psychotic episodes.

The end. Ok, ok.

Elisa was acting erratically for awhile. It is heavily implied she was combining her meds with narcotics that were sold to her. Her sister said she frequently went off her meds, and would say that someone was chasing her and she had to hide. Her roomates said she got so disruptive they kicked her the fuck out. The day she disappeared she shouted and ranted in the hotel lobby. They didn't call the police, because well, its a fucking everyday occurrence there. So, a Bipolar girl, who thinks people are after her, in a severe state of psychosis, pushes all the buttons in the elevator (including the Hold Door button, which holds the door for two minutes), leaves and rants to herself.

The fucked up timestamp? Done by the LAPD because they wanted to hide the timing in case they found out it was a murder.

The edited video? Also done by the LAPD.

So, in this state of psychosis, she leaves, climbs the fire escape, and opens the heavy hatch to a water tower and jumps in. This was one of the biggest points of contention in the documentary, WHY IS HATCH OPEN? The police said it was closed! (Note: It was always open. The LAPD fucked up and miscommunicated it to the media and never corrected it). Why are the police withholding the autopsy? They were waiting for the tox results which can take weeks. The LAPD obviously witheld a lot of information, because in a murder investigation, it is extremely important to have information only a suspect would know.

Why was she naked? She went hypothermic, and when you get that cold, there's a phenomenon called paradoxical undressing, where your body tries to heat itself up and you strip off all your clothes. The absence of water in her lungs (while it doesn't necessarily mean she didn't drown), indicates she probably died of hypothermia.

So, what did the web sleuths accomplish? ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING. THEY DISCOVERED FUCKING NOTHING. They harrased a Mexican guy who was really into Death Metal and he wasn't even at the hotel at the same time as her. So again, picked the wrong target, doxed and harrased him to the point of suicide. At least he didn't off himself like the guy in 'Don't Fuck with Cats'. Their portions of the documentary were fucking irrelevant.

They were wrong on every. single. point. They even refused to believe that it wasn't ruled a homicide and did the insane conspiracy theories. The detectives looked so tired because they had to fucking put up with these retards constantly calling them with stupid fucking tips with information they probably had, and more. They refused to believe a severely mentally ill person who had psychotic episodes would do this.

Creepy dentist had to go to her grave and touched it crying like he knew her. That's why I call him fucking creepy. Because that's what he fucking was.

Final Thoughts

There's a lot of interesting stuff here. The problem is it is tied up with social media bullshit who are fucking retards who don't even understand the basics of investigation. That the police are ALWAYS going to have more information than you. And they're not going to fucking tell randoms on the internet. When they find out she's bipolar through her social media posts, they completely ignore it and go for stupid insane bullshit like the TB shit.

"THERE ARE TOO MANY COINCIDENCES" Yes, sometimes a coincidence is just that.

They ignore Occam's Razor, which is even relevant in weird shit like this. They're fucking terrible investigators. YouTube and Facebook are fucking cancer, I swear. The only internet investigators worth a damn seem to be 4chan, whose combined autism found a flag based on flight patterns and astronomy.

The social media aspect really ruins everything because they're all fucking stupid. The detectives look tired because God only knows how much they had to deal with these fucktards. Like in every documentary, they take up resources, think they're more important than they are, don't solve shit and find and harrass the wrong person with no evidence.

I really wish they condensed the social media aspect into one episode so you could just skip it and went more into the murders that occurred there. That's so much more interesting that fucking retards and a dentist who thinks he knows a dead girl because he spent a thousand hours on this useless shit.

I'd give it a watch to only relish in the joy of the fourth episode where they basically shit all over everything the internet retards said and got every single thing wrong. They basically walk you through it step by step, disproving everything they said. The unfortunate part is that if docs are going to do this, they really need to treat these people like the retards they are.

Letora

Monoamine Oxidase A
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The conspiracy theories around this case are annoying as hell for anyone who has any experience with psychotic people. There's a constant stream of ignorants who can't see how fucking obvious and textbook her behavior is for someone in a manic episode.

The amount of meds she was on was crazy too; some actually worsening bipolar disorder. I'm not gonna go off on a tangent on how psychiatric meds are both carelessly and wrongly prescribed and overprescribed. This woman's brain was completely fucked.

There's actual unsolved murders and mysteries, and the constant looping back to this resolved issue is frustrating.

Also, fuck the LAPD. Corrupt, untrustworthy shits paid off by Scientology.

OJ Simpson

Hey Kiwi World, It's Yours Truly.
kiwifarms.net
I tuned out after the 2nd episode, which is rare, because I'm a true crime junkie. I've sat through 4-5+ hour interrogation's, watched every single session of OJ's civil suit deposition (over 40 hours worth, watched it all), countless documentaries, watch JimCan'tSwim and Matt Orchard videos over and over because there isn't any better long-form content out there in the vein of what they're doing, same with some Netflix docs. But I couldn't do this.

I'm glad to see by the end they shit on the budget tumblr detectives, but knowing how retards like that operate, it becomes unbearable having to sit through their retarded theories during a whole episode, especially when they have so much conviction even when they're wrong and have nothing to go off of. I get this isn't a career for them, so due diligence is almost non-existent, but fuck me if they were handling any case, the amount of false convictions and injustices they would leave in their wake. The mind reels. You think you saw someone else's shoe when Wang Lee took a left turn out of the elevator? Give me a fucking break. I couldn't binge any further. Don't Fuck With Cats was done way better for a story where internet sleuth's played a role.

onlysimps

I secured this ring with my lop-sided titties!
kiwifarms.net
The most clear cut case that has been solved getting a documentary is so stupid, but it's Netflix's time to milk this story for their monetary gain.

Lord of the Large Pants

Chicks dig giant robots.
kiwifarms.net
The most clear cut case that has been solved getting a documentary is so stupid, but it's Netflix's time to milk this story for their monetary gain.
Eh, I kind of appreciated it. There was a lot of stuff in there I didn't know before, despite having done some reading about the case. Things that got left out of most "summary" accounts.

Foltest

Land ska med lag byggas
kiwifarms.net
Intressting read.
BTW did you see the netflix one about the Night Stalker and the yorkeshire ripper? I found them to be allright, but not close to the Ted Bundy one.

MrTroll

I know you can read MY thoughts, boy
kiwifarms.net
Sad thing is, this would have been a pretty good documentary without the youtube/facebook retards shitting it up. The cops, forensic pathologist who did the autospy, the hotel manager, etc. all had interesting things to say. And in between that, some soyboy talking about how he flew to Vancouver to visit the grave of some bitch he only knew from a 30-second internet clip. Really?

Secret Asshole

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The conspiracy theories around this case are annoying as hell for anyone who has any experience with psychotic people. There's a constant stream of ignorants who can't see how fucking obvious and textbook her behavior is for someone in a manic episode.

The amount of meds she was on was crazy too; some actually worsening bipolar disorder. I'm not gonna go off on a tangent on how psychiatric meds are both carelessly and wrongly prescribed and overprescribed. This woman's brain was completely fucked.

There's actual unsolved murders and mysteries, and the constant looping back to this resolved issue is frustrating.

Also, fuck the LAPD. Corrupt, untrustworthy shits paid off by Scientology.
Oh, they instantly dismissed it. That was the worst part. The first second I saw Bipolar I knew instantly. They didn't even consider she might be having a period of mania or psychosis, also brought on by drug abuse or lack of medication. It was infuriating. I don't think I gave this a second thought once I found out she was bipolar, because it was the most obvious explanation. I really, seriously cannot believe there was this big of a community over something with extraordinarily little information. And even then, they don't bother considering she wasn't in a rational state. That's what is so angering.

Yeah, its just because it has the scary video that its lasted. Other mysteries get tossed by the wayside.

I still don't get how the LAPD did a fly over with their helicopter and went on the roof and completely missed the open tank door. I mean it is strange and weird, but if 3 are closed and one is open, well, doesn't hurt to look. But they didn't.
I tuned out after the 2nd episode, which is rare, because I'm a true crime junkie. I've sat through 4-5+ hour interrogation's, watched every single session of OJ's civil suit deposition (over 40 hours worth, watched it all), countless documentaries, watch JimCan'tSwim and Matt Orchard videos over and over because there isn't any better long-form content out there in the vein of what they're doing, same with some Netflix docs. But I couldn't do this.

I'm glad to see by the end they shit on the budget tumblr detectives, but knowing how retards like that operate, it becomes unbearable having to sit through their retarded theories during a whole episode, especially when they have so much conviction even when they're wrong and have nothing to go off of. I get this isn't a career for them, so due diligence is almost non-existent, but fuck me if they were handling any case, the amount of false convictions and injustices they would leave in their wake. The mind reels. You think you saw someone else's shoe when Wang Lee took a left turn out of the elevator? Give me a fucking break. I couldn't binge any further. Don't Fuck With Cats was done way better for a story where internet sleuth's played a role.
Oh my God, it was so terrible. Like they literally thought all these coincidences meant something. The mind is a pattern recognition machine. That's the thing we're best at, better than AI even. "HOW MANY COINCIDENCES, THIS MUST MEAN SOMETHING". Their conspiracies were illogical and made little sense. The hotel covering something up? Its in the middle of homeless people, drug dealers, literal mental patients and gangers. The woman who worked there dealt with 80 fucking dead people. You thought a TB outbreak and the name of a routine test was somehow a fucking coincidence. What would the police possibly fucking hide? They were all idiots. Not one of them made any intelligent deductions.

"It had to be someone that killed her and dump her in a water tower, after all she was only a woman with bipolar disorder off her meds in a completely manic state who experimented with drugs and there was absolutely no physical evidence anywhere of any crime." Yeah, no shit the LAPD didn't rule it a homicide.

It was bad. The heavy metal dude they harassed never got an apology and it got so bad he lost the will to make his music. I mean, only like four people saw it and it was kinda meh, but he still had a right to do so.

I just eventually tuned them out and that creepy fucking dentist visiting her grave disgusted me. You're like a fucking stalker. You literally stalked a fucking dead woman. "I felt like I knew her". If you knew her, you would have seen that she was extremely mentally ill and figured it out.

The difficulty of carrying a body up there made it highly unlikely she was dragged up there. The police ripped apart the hotel and found no signs of violence. The corner found no indications or wounds. Even if she were strangled, there are tell-tale signs (it takes a LOT of strength to strangle someone). The LAPD found no evidence on the roof. Like, maybe its not a fucking homicide. But that's no fun, is it? God these people were trash.
It would have been perfectly fine if they concentrated more on the deaths around the Cecil hotel, more of the victims, more of the perps, more about Skid row while slowly unraveling the story.

The YouTube faggots were so unnecessary and cringe. I am so glad that the doctor walks through exactly what happened with explanations for every single one of their fucking retarded theories. They're always fucking wrong, every time. It is such a waste to include them. As far as I know, 4chan is the only one who solved internet crimes and its hard to do a doc on that because all of its users are anons.

I'm just going to have to avoid series like these with people from the internet because it is so annoying, and they'll all inevitably be from Facebook or YouTube, get everything wrong, waste the police's time and find a 'suspect' they dox and harass.

OJ Simpson

kiwifarms.net
@Secret Asshole is the payoff of episode 4 worth it having to sit through episode 3? If so I'll just muster up the strength to sit through another hour of the nonsense spewing from the soymouth's.

Secret Asshole

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@Secret Asshole is the payoff of episode 4 worth it having to sit through episode 3? If so I'll just muster up the strength to sit through another hour of the nonsense spewing from the soymouth's.

I mean there is a TON of cringe shit that you have to sit through. But I just started laughing in the end as the ME described exactly what happened with a huge smile on his face as every single thing they said was wrong. I mean, you could tell the cops and the ME wanted to call them fucking retards.

The problem is the documentary treats them with respect they CLEARLY don't deserve. When the shit they're saying is so obviously trash. And of course it gives them drama and shit. So that's what you'd have to sit through. Plus youtuber takes.

Its up to you whether you want to handle that. The documentary tries to make them seem relevant but its impossible to hide that they did absolutely nothing but waste police time and accuse an innocent person. They tried to somehow justify their 'investigations', but I believe the documentary completely fails in the attempt.

They seriously should have focused more on skid row and the hotel itself. Its a hugely wasted opportunity. They could have easily used this case to wrap it around how awful the hotel's history was, and the different murders and deaths that occurred.

Last edited:

OJ Simpson

kiwifarms.net
Well, that sounds fucking awful. I'm kind of short on content at the moment so I might as well just squeeze it in and get it out the way... it can't be worse than attempting to sit through the season of Prison Break where they broke back into the prison... I hope. :c

Xerxes IX

New cat, who this?
kiwifarms.net
Oh, they instantly dismissed it. That was the worst part. The first second I saw Bipolar I knew instantly. They didn't even consider she might be having a period of mania or psychosis, also brought on by drug abuse or lack of medication. It was infuriating. I don't think I gave this a second thought once I found out she was bipolar, because it was the most obvious explanation. I really, seriously cannot believe there was this big of a community over something with extraordinarily little information. And even then, they don't bother considering she wasn't in a rational state. That's what is so angering.

Yeah, its just because it has the scary video that its lasted. Other mysteries get tossed by the wayside.

I still don't get how the LAPD did a fly over with their helicopter and went on the roof and completely missed the open tank door. I mean it is strange and weird, but if 3 are closed and one is open, well, doesn't hurt to look. But they didn't.

Oh my God, it was so terrible. Like they literally thought all these coincidences meant something. The mind is a pattern recognition machine. That's the thing we're best at, better than AI even. "HOW MANY COINCIDENCES, THIS MUST MEAN SOMETHING". Their conspiracies were illogical and made little sense. The hotel covering something up? Its in the middle of homeless people, drug dealers, literal mental patients and gangers. The woman who worked there dealt with 80 fucking dead people. You thought a TB outbreak and the name of a routine test was somehow a fucking coincidence. What would the police possibly fucking hide? They were all idiots. Not one of them made any intelligent deductions.

"It had to be someone that killed her and dump her in a water tower, after all she was only a woman with bipolar disorder off her meds in a completely manic state who experimented with drugs and there was absolutely no physical evidence anywhere of any crime." Yeah, no shit the LAPD didn't rule it a homicide.

It was bad. The heavy metal dude they harassed never got an apology and it got so bad he lost the will to make his music. I mean, only like four people saw it and it was kinda meh, but he still had a right to do so.

I just eventually tuned them out and that creepy fucking dentist visiting her grave disgusted me. You're like a fucking stalker. You literally stalked a fucking dead woman. "I felt like I knew her". If you knew her, you would have seen that she was extremely mentally ill and figured it out.

The difficulty of carrying a body up there made it highly unlikely she was dragged up there. The police ripped apart the hotel and found no signs of violence. The corner found no indications or wounds. Even if she were strangled, there are tell-tale signs (it takes a LOT of strength to strangle someone). The LAPD found no evidence on the roof. Like, maybe its not a fucking homicide. But that's no fun, is it? God these people were trash.

It would have been perfectly fine if they concentrated more on the deaths around the Cecil hotel, more of the victims, more of the perps, more about Skid row while slowly unraveling the story.

The YouTube faggots were so unnecessary and cringe. I am so glad that the doctor walks through exactly what happened with explanations for every single one of their fucking retarded theories. They're always fucking wrong, every time. It is such a waste to include them. As far as I know, 4chan is the only one who solved internet crimes and its hard to do a doc on that because all of its users are anons.

I'm just going to have to avoid series like these with people from the internet because it is so annoying, and they'll all inevitably be from Facebook or YouTube, get everything wrong, waste the police's time and find a 'suspect' they dox and harass.
They don't know what bipolar disorder does to a person, especially mania. They see mood swings and the opposite of depression and either don't get it or think it's fine because the bipolar person must feel good during those episodes. And then they turn around and wonder what makes people like Kanye West so insane and why is he ranting and raving about crazy shit all the time.

Or they think it's insulting that it was written off as "just mental illness", which is common with the woke mental health advocates who would also be more likely to be anti-police and biased against their official statement. Except what does actually help the mentally ill is spreading awareness that these things can happen to them, not sperging out about how this is 100% the fault of some mysterious murderer and spreading conspiracy theories about TB that make them sound less sane than the actual psychotic person involved in the case.

Between this and WE DID IT REDDIT, 2013 was the year that proved that you should never listen to an internet detective about anything.

Secret Asshole

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, that sounds fucking awful. I'm kind of short on content at the moment so I might as well just squeeze it in and get it out the way... it can't be worse than attempting to sit through the season of Prison Break where they broke back into the prison... I hope. :c
Its always good to get another take lol.
They don't know what bipolar disorder does to a person, especially mania. They see mood swings and the opposite of depression and either don't get it or think it's fine because the bipolar person must feel good during those episodes. And then they turn around and wonder what makes people like Kanye West so insane and why is he ranting and raving about crazy shit all the time.

Or they think it's insulting that it was written off as "just mental illness", which is common with the woke mental health advocates who would also be more likely to be anti-police and biased against their official statement. Except what does actually help the mentally ill is spreading awareness that these things can happen to them, not sperging out about how this is 100% the fault of some mysterious murderer and spreading conspiracy theories about TB that make them sound less sane than the actual psychotic person involved in the case.

Between this and WE DID IT REDDIT, 2013 was the year that proved that you should never listen to an internet detective about anything.
I mean, she had the worst form of Bipolar, Bipolar I. The depression is followed by psychotic episodes. It boggled my mind at how they ignored it.

Oh yeah, they have no idea what real mental illness is. Nothing about it being a murder made sense. The only way up was the fire escape. If it were a hotel employee, they would have had to disable an alarm and open the door. The problem is that there was absolutely no physical evidence to indicate a murder. Anywhere, just none. There were no defensive wounds, no sign of any lethal poisons. Even to get her there her body would have show signs of damage. You can't just haul a body up a fire escape or up that tank without some of it showing. Or damage to her clothes. If someone killed her on the room, why not hurl her off it, make it look like a suiicide? Common enough.

They wanted it to be this mysterious serial killer only they could catch. It is fucking pathetic. The documentary should have shit all over them, except it gives them a medal you give a little retarded child, the 'You tried!' badge.

I admittedly used to like true crime content, but sadly it's become a dead horse that's been beaten pretty thoroughly. It also doesn't help that a lot of over saturated YouTube channels blurred the lines between factual information and le epic spooky conspiracy nonsense. With all that said, the Cecil Hotel / Elisa Lam case has now officially joined the ranks of Ted Bundy and the Zodiac Killer regarding the media hype, misinformation, and questionable fandom.