Science CRISPR used to treat cervical cancer in mice with 100% success rate - A step towards kicking cancer's ass.

LegoTugboat

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

• Mistake by Iraqi medic resulted in the discovery
  • No signs of inflammation or tumours
  • The treatment was trialled on mice and resulted in a 100 per cent survival rate
Article

Australia could become the first country in the world to eliminate cervical cancer.
Researchers from Griffith University in Queensland have used gene-editing technology to target cervical cancer tumours in mice using 'stealth' nanoparticles.
Lead researcher Professor Nigel McMillan said it's the first cancer cure using this technology.

The mice treated had a 100 per cent survival rate, ABC reported, raising hopes for women with cervical cancer.
The gene-editing tool, known as CRISPR-Cas9, is injected by nanoparticles in to the patient's bloodsteam.

The nanoparticles then search for the cancer-causing gene E7 and cut the gene in half.
When the cell repairs the gene with extra DNA, the cell doesn't recognise the cancerous cells and generates a healthy cell.

Professor Nigel McMillan described the nanoparticles as being like a spell-checker.
'This is like adding a few extra letters into a word so the spell checker doesn't recognise it anymore. The cancer must have this gene to produce, once edited, the cancer dies.

'We looked for lots of markers, inflammation and damage, but they were perfectly fine, so this is very exciting.'
Professor McMillan, together with research partner Luqman Jabair, have applied for a grant to begin human trails within the next five years.

'There are still many steps to go through before we get to the clinic stage, but I think this really proves that gene editing is going to be proved to be useful,' Professor McMillan said.
The study was published in Molecular Therapy.

---

"He went away and did something I did not really ask him to do and he added extra treatments [injections] into the regime and it turned out to be the lightbulb moment," Professor McMillan said.
"Our normal series of three treatments slowed the cancer down, but when he [Dr Jubair] added the extra four after that, it [the tumour] completely disappeared.

"And just as well he did use some initiative, because without him doing that we would probably just have a pretty average outcome where tumours sort of slow down a bit and then keep growing.
"So three was good, but seven was even better — the magic number — it was a very serendipitous moment in science and they do not come along very often."

---

End of article

If we can get this perfected, this is going to be a very significant step forward. Sure, it might mean you need seven injections, but tbh, I'd prefer the injections over cancer.

And cancer dearly needs a good ass kicking.

No Exit

No dignity
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm glad to hear there's been some medical progress using CRISPR. I remember hearing about how it was going to revolutionize medical science a couple years ago then everything went quiet.

And seven injections if much better than getting blasted with radiation while getting fucked up on meds.

Positron

Subconsciously Suberogatory
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Original article (paywalled; Science Hub mirror). Targeting the HPV-derived oncogenes E6 and E7 are the closest to a "magic bullet" as we can hope for in treatment cancer. But the finding is slighting worrying in at least one aspect -- The HeLa xenografts escaped a regimen of three doses of treatment and grew big, and it was the 7-dose regimen that managed to eliminate them. If this treatment is to be used on humans, the number of doses needed may be hard to determine. And just as in chemo, the tumor cells can develop resistance to CRISPR.

I cannot find the number of mice treated; from their survival chart it looks like each group consists of fewer than 10.

LegoTugboat

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm glad to hear there's been some medical progress using CRISPR. I remember hearing about how it was going to revolutionize medical science a couple years ago then everything went quiet.

And seven injections if much better than getting blasted with radiation while getting fucked up on meds.
Well, thing with CRISPR is that it's been through some development troubles, since the first iteration was too slow, and when they made CRISPR2, it was faster, but it was also being too good at cutting out damage, cutting out healthy parts as well.

It's still got a way to go, and it may end up being a combination of CRISPR and the targeted radiation treatment they're trialling, where a metal rod is inserted into a tumour or cancerous area, and gets nuked.

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
Instead of finding ways to cure cancer in mice, we should be exploring methods of transferring human cancers onto mice, like a magical curse transferred via a heathen sacrifice. Mostly because it'd be super funny to watch football-sized tumors running around on tiny little mouse feet and squeaking whenever they find a piece of cheese.

Safir

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
> Australia could become the first country in the world to eliminate cervical cancer.

Lel what? Are they like, "we Aussies developed this method and we ain't gonna share"?

EasyPeasy

English not British
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This isn't /pol/ and nobody cares that you hate women.
I have NEVER visited any of these "chan" sites you people always reference, I am 50 y/o not fucking 15.
Also I don't hate women at all.
They are just of no use after 35-45 y/o past child-bearing age when most cervical cancer cases happen.
I don't think that's a coincidence either...

A Cardboard Box

kiwifarms.net
Instead of finding ways to cure cancer in mice, we should be exploring methods of transferring human cancers onto mice, like a magical curse transferred via a heathen sacrifice. Mostly because it'd be super funny to watch football-sized tumors running around on tiny little mouse feet and squeaking whenever they find a piece of cheese.
They actually already do this kinda. They grow human cancer tissue and transplant it into mice to see if they can treat it. Mice and humans are oddly closely related.

• Feels
Reactions: frozenrunner

TendieMan

#1 Israel fan
kiwifarms.net
I have NEVER visited any of these "chan" sites you people always reference, I am 50 y/o not fucking 15.
Also I don't hate women at all.
They are just of no use after 35-45 y/o past child-bearing age when most cervical cancer cases happen.
I don't think that's a coincidence either...
Sucks to be you because you don't seem to have been useful since the day you were born.

• Winner
Reactions: Dr W

Suburban Bastard

It's October, gimme candy
kiwifarms.net
Awesome shit! I'm getting more and more interested in CRISPR every time news like this pops up, it will be very interesting to see where this all pays off by the end of the upcoming decade.

Reactions: TendieMan
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino