Cultural Appropriation on Tumblr - REEEE HANDS OFF WHITEY

Crunchy Leaf

cronch
kiwifarms.net
i guess the difference is that like, i don't think the people of ireland are being significantly harmed by americans pretending to be 1/16 irish and getting soused on guinness once a year, whereas native american artists can really be harmed by people buying fake native items instead of legitimate ones. but if some famous fashion designer took some, i don't know, wool sweater patterns made by impoverished galway grannies or whatever, and starting selling them as exotic celtic designs without crediting or paying the original artists, that would be bad.

LtCucumber

i need a nap and some dick
kiwifarms.net
i guess the difference is that like, i don't think the people of ireland are being significantly harmed by americans pretending to be 1/16 irish and getting soused on guinness once a year, whereas native american artists can really be harmed by people buying fake native items instead of legitimate ones. but if some famous fashion designer took some, i don't know, wool sweater patterns made by impoverished galway grannies or whatever, and starting selling them as exotic celtic designs without crediting or paying the original artists, that would be bad.

That's true, I get the whole issue of people wearing native american headdresses as that has some significant cultural significance and apparently some lengthy process to earn one - there are things I can get behind.

Though if you think about it, there are a lot of people who weren't harmed by Jamie Oliver making "jerk" rice either really i guess that should have been my point - then again most people complaining were being offended on behalf of others. There are a lot of people who aren't actually harmed directly by "appropriation", and act like someone using this or that as a means for profit, when people of the ethnicity being "appropriated" are also making profits off it (and are not stopped from doing do) is the same as having a nuke dropped on their house.

Crunchy Leaf

cronch
kiwifarms.net
That's true, I get the whole issue of people wearing native american headdresses as that has some significant cultural significance and apparently some lengthy process to earn one. There are things I can get behind. There are a lot of people who aren't harmed by Jamie Oliver making "jerk" rice either really i guess that should have been my point. There are a lot of people who aren't actually harmed directly by "appropriation", and act like someone using this or that as a means for profit, when people of the ethnicity being "appropriated" are also making profits off it (and are not stopped from doing do) is the same as having a nuke dropped on their house.
yeah 'cultural appropriation' refers to a whole grab bag of issues with varying degrees of legitimacy. i think a lot of the kinda dumb ones are stuff that nobody thinks is good to begin with, so it's easy to complain about. like, everyone makes fun of white people who have dreadlocks or use random japanese words in conversation, even if they don't think it's culturally appropriative.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The essence of "cultural appropriation" is like saying "you can somehow steal the intangible knowledge that 2 + 2 = 4, but only if you're the wrong race."

everyone makes fun of white people who have dreadlocks or use random japanese words in conversation
"racism against whites doesn't exist" my ass

SJWs may claim "but muh white privilege," but that's like claiming "all black people are criminals because some of them commit crimes."

Last edited:

Crunchy Leaf

cronch
kiwifarms.net
The essence of "cultural appropriation" is like saying "you can somehow steal the intangible knowledge that 2 + 2 = 4, but only if you're the wrong race."

"racism against whites doesn't exist" my ass

SJWs may claim "but muh white privilege," but that's like claiming "all black people are criminals because some of them commit crimes."
i realize this is from over a month ago but I didn't see it until today when this thread got a new post, but anyway, I really don't think making fun of white people for having dreads or being weebs is in any way racist. especially since the primary disliker of dreads on white people is other white people, especially on men because people dislike long hair on men, but also because it's associated with hippies and people don't like them. and over-using foreign words is always seen as weird, even if those words are french, or even british english in the US, even though those are both white people languages. that was my point: we accept those as call outs because they're already stigmatized for reasons unrelated to race.

Positron

Got my booster shot of racism and misogyny
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm sure someone else has already said this, but if it's cultural appropriation for white people to wear dreadlocks and listen to rap, then it's cultural appropriation for black people to use technology and modern medicine.
The ready reply is "white people have no culture" or "white people force their culture -- democracy, science, etc, on us!"

AnOminous

when you find a stranger in the Alps
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I suppose white people should just ignore or forget other cultures. Let’s see how well that goes down :story:

iu

CokeFather

kiwifarms.net
Lmao the woke pee oh see always say that they're not a monolith when some person says they're okay with, say, white people wearing kimonos or something but then screech about how they represent all pee oh see when they preach that all of them hate white people wearing kimonos.

Also really hilarious when they cocksuck black poc and freak out whenever people say the "n-slur" or wear dreads but then go "YAASS WOKE QUEEN SLAY UWU" and don't realize they're technically "appropriating" AAVE (or whatever the fuck that Buzzfeed or Mic is writing about now).

I wonder how the sjws that always rant about whites and how they're always the oppressor and "we pee oh see are angery and we deserve to be angery at randos on the internet instead of working out our issues like human beings" act around the less fortunate white people irl like homeless, blind, amputees, or mentally disabled people.

Crunchy Leaf

cronch
kiwifarms.net
Lmao the woke pee oh see always say that they're not a monolith when some person says they're okay with, say, white people wearing kimonos or something but then screech about how they represent all pee oh see when they preach that all of them hate white people wearing kimonos.

Also really hilarious when they cocksuck black poc and freak out whenever people say the "n-slur" or wear dreads but then go "YAASS WOKE QUEEN SLAY UWU" and don't realize they're technically "appropriating" AAVE (or whatever the fuck that Buzzfeed or Mic is writing about now).
i wish everyone on twitter would stop pretending to be sassy black women and/or sassy gay men. stop saying 'y'all'. stop saying 'yass'. it's so aggressively fake and terrible.

The Fatheads

Ladies and Gentlemen, meet the Boneheads.
kiwifarms.net
I wonder how the sjws that always rant about whites and how they're always the oppressor and "we pee oh see are angery and we deserve to be angery at randos on the internet instead of working out our issues like human beings" act around the less fortunate white people irl like homeless, blind, amputees, or mentally disabled people.

In most cases I've seen, they treat them like any other whites. As in they legitimately believe a homeless white amputee is more privileged than say Obama's family.
They sure have big heads for people that don't have anything inside them.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
One claim I've heard about "cultural appropriation" is that it happens when a "dominant culture" copies a "weak culture." The flaws with that claim are:

1) It assumes a member of a "dominant culture" is automatically responsible for others of the "dominant culture." That's like saying "all Asians are good at math."

2) If a culture is dying, it's death isn't avoided by not copying it.

Also I don't get why SJWs think copying culture the "wrong" way is such a grievous sin. Copying it "wrong" doesn't prevent people from practicing it the original way, and that's how it evolves. You can't expect culture to stay frozen in time forever.

Last edited:

Meowthkip

We had fun, didn't we?
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also I don't get why SJWs think copying culture the "wrong" way is such a grievous sin. Copying it "wrong" doesn't prevent people from practicing it the original way, and that's how it evolves. You can't expect culture to stay frozen in time forever.

To want to preserve a culture and make sure it isn't tainted by foreigners seems pretty conservative to me.

howyadoin

Here’s the tea
kiwifarms.net
A few days ago, there was a tweet about writing warrior cultures in fiction:

Screenshot_20181217-221428~2.png

Screenshot_20181217-221457~2.png

Screenshot_20181217-221521~2.png

Her answer (she was sleepy so she replied to the wrong person):
Screenshot_20181217-221637~2.png

Screenshot_20181217-221702~2.png

Predictable.

TL;DR: White man who argues that warrior cultures don't exist gets owned by Kenyan (thus presumably black) woman

AnOminous

when you find a stranger in the Alps
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's a law of nature that anyone who starts something with "Dear [x] people" is a piece of shit and they are about to say something that is absolute bullshit. Same with "friendly reminder that" and any similar kind of smug, shitty soyboy intro.