Cultural racism - Is it a thing, or is it Woke SocJus bullshit?

Is cultural racism real?

• Yes

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 32 62.7%
  • I don't know/I'm not sure

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • In some contexts, yes; In most, no

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • In most contexts, yes; In some, no

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Iwasamwillbe

Lord of New Beginnings, New Endings
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
According to Wikipedia, basically the best source for accurate representation of the leftist opinion on sociological topics:

Cultural racism, sometimes called neo-racism, new racism, or differentialist racism, describes prejudices and discrimination based on cultural differences between ethnic or racial groups. This includes the idea that some cultures are superior to others, and that various cultures are fundamentally incompatible and should not co-exist in the same society or state. In this it differs from biological or scientific racism, meaning prejudices and discrimination rooted in perceived biological differences between ethnic or racial groups.

The concept of cultural racism was developed by West European scholars influenced by critical race theory during the 1980s and 1990s. At the time, various terms were used for the phenomenon, such as Martin Barker's "new racism" and Étienne Balibar's "neo-racism". These theorists argued that the hostility to migrants then evident in Western countries should be considered "racism". They also acknowledged that it differed in various ways from older phenomena, such as colonialism or anti-Semitism, that had been labelled "racist" since the 1930s. They emphasised the idea that while older racism had relied on the perceived intrinsic biological differences of various groups, the new racism relied on a belief in intrinsic cultural differences instead. A major example they used was the change that occurred in Western countries in the latter half of the 20th century; during the 1950s and 1960s, the notion of a white race that was biologically superior to other races had fallen out of favour, but was replaced by a belief that Western culture was superior to other cultures.

Three main arguments as to why beliefs in intrinsic cultural differences should be considered racist have been put forward. One is that hostility on a cultural basis can result in the same discriminatory and harmful practices as belief in intrinsic biological differences, such as exploitation, oppression, or extermination. The second is that beliefs in biological and cultural difference are often interlinked and that biological racist groups use claims of cultural difference to promote their ideas in contexts where biological racism is considered socially unacceptable. The third argument is that the idea of "cultural racism" recognises that in many societies, groups like immigrants and Muslims have undergone "racialization", coming to be seen as distinct social groups separate from the majority on the basis of their cultural traits.

The utility of the concept has been debated. Some scholars have argued that prejudices and hostility based on culture are sufficiently different from biological racism that it is not appropriate to use the term "racism" for both. According to this view, incorporating cultural prejudices into the concept of "racism" expands the latter too much and weakens its utility. Among scholars who have used the concept of "cultural racism", there have been debates as to its scope. Some scholars have argued that Islamophobia should be considered a form of cultural racism. Others have disagreed, arguing that while cultural racism pertains to visible symbols of difference like clothing, cuisine, and language, Islamophobia primarily pertains to hostility on the basis of someone's religious beliefs. It has also been argued that enshrining the idea of Islamophobia as cultural racism in law can criminalise certain criticisms of Islam and hinder counter-terrorist operations against Salafi jihadism.

So based on this, and the rest of the article, is there any situation where "cultural racism" can be considered to be "real"?

Otterly

Primark Primarch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have trouble with the ‘all cultures are equal and lovely’ idea.

I’m a woman, and if I lived in Saudi Arabia I’d need a male guardian to approve any movement outside the house. That’d be a shit culture to live in. If I was a girl in tribal Afghanistan my chances of being as free and educated as I am in the west would be nil. If I was a girl in many African cultures I’d have had my genitals lopped off.

So I ask you ‘all cultures are equal’ people - would you honestly want to live in one of these cultures? If you were part of that thought experiment where you design a culture but then you’re reborn into it at random, would you design a feudal, backwards, violent, sexist one or a western one?

Western society isn’t perfect but it’s a whole lot better than a lot of places.

Marco Fucko

I fantasized about this back in Chicago
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The fact they call this "racism" and not "cultural chauvinism" betrays the desire to brow beat people into accepting foreigners that refuse to adapt to native culture. Also this idea is not even close to coming from the 50s dropping the theory racial superiority for cultural superiority, considering we get the word barbarian from the Greek barbaros.

Exigent Circumcisions

I bring nothing to the table.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have trouble with the ‘all cultures are equal and lovely’ idea.
Let me help you: they're not. What really irritates me about this tripe is that the other side pretends that they don't think western civilization is inferior: it's the smarmy disingenuousness that forestalls a basic debate of the numerous merits and downfalls of one system over another.

It stinks of an awareness on their part that they can't make a solid argument on those grounds, so they pretend to not know the difference between famine and political instability vs. plenty and relative peace.

Dom Cruise

*Siiiiiiiiiip*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No, racism is the idea that a person's biological race somehow causes them to exhibit certain behaviors and traits, it's the polar opposite of judging cultures, I mean it's like literally as far away as you can get, we're in "war is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength" territory here.

Some cultures are better than others, what is a "culture" really other than a series of ideas and obviously there are good ideas and bad ideas, would anyone deny that? This is basic, basic shit.

This kind of thinking is dangerous, the left today are dangerously detached from any and all reality, it's pure insanity.

If I was a girl in many African cultures I’d have had my genitals lopped off.

Female genital mutilation is a perfect example of a "bad idea", it's utterly sickening and barbaric and should never be tolerated under any circumstances.

Mark my words, the SJW mindset will bring about the end of the world if it's not stopped, evil people will be all too glad to exploit this toxic ideology.

Easterling

BIG MONEY! BIG PRIZES!
kiwifarms.net
Cultural racism just sounds like ethnocentrism with more steps, personally I think being ethnocentric is a good thing because fuck backwards ass cultures that perform child marriages or FGM. If there wasn't always a more advanced culture telling in the dumbasses that something is bad then the human race would never have progressed at all.

Clop

kiwifarms.net
This includes the idea that some cultures are superior to others, and that various cultures are fundamentally incompatible and should not co-exist in the same society or state.
So what the fuck is a person that thinks cultures aren't superior - just evolving independent of each other - and that they are incompatible? Is it racist to think that a patriarchal culture can't coexist with a matriarchal one? Or a sacrificial culture with one that sanctifies life? That's ludicrous.

I don't give a fuck what a person's color is, if they think violence is an acceptable way of subjugating a class of people, they can fuck right off. Same goes for this garbage culture that thinks shaming a person into the fold with accusations of racism is okay.

The third argument is that the idea of "cultural racism" recognises that in many societies, groups like immigrants and Muslims have undergone "racialization", coming to be seen as distinct social groups separate from the majority on the basis of their cultural traits.
Meanwhile the media still can't tell the fucking difference between Shia and Sunni Muslims. Who the fuck is the racist here? (incidentally, the word check recognizes 'Sunni' but has no idea what 'Shia' is - made me crack up)

Some scholars have argued that Islamophobia should be considered a form of cultural racism.
The word is still propaganda, an utterly faked buzzword. A phobia is an irrational fear. There's nothing irrational about opposing Islamic, Christian, Judaic or Scientologist teachings, and it's not racism either because, say it with me:

ISLAM IS NOT A RACE

No wonder they want to call it cultural racism - if it's cultural then it's not about race but now you can drop the hard R as if you're not full of shit and are losing an argument to someone that doesn't have their head up their ass. "Cultural racism" is yet another way to accuse someone of being a racist when there's not enough proof to claim regular old racism.

Diesel Boogaloo

kiwifarms.net
The fact they call this "racism" and not "cultural chauvinism" betrays the desire to brow beat people into accepting foreigners that refuse to adapt to native culture. Also this idea is not even close to coming from the 50s dropping the theory racial superiority for cultural superiority, considering we get the word barbarian from the Greek barbaros.
It's not sexism, it's gender racism.
It's not hygiene standards, it's odor racism.
It's not antisemitism, it's foreskin racism.

R

RG 448

kiwifarms.net
I shouldn’t have voted “i don’t know” before reading the OP to find out what it was.