Culture Wars General - KiA Diet Coke Edition

Jaimas

Give 'Em the Crab Jab
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nah, this is Atlus' doing and video games being censored to not offend the Western market is something that goes way back.

Hell the whole "Poison is a tranny" shit started because people were offended female henchmen were in Final Fight.
That was from Capcom. Go read our Sony thread for more information on the most recent iteration of this phenomenon.

SiccDicc

I can't throw people out of windows anymore :(
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That was from Capcom. Go read our Sony thread for more information on the most recent iteration of this phenomenon.
Except the Japanese version isn't changed at all it seems. They're still played for laughs and come off extremely creepy.

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This website looks interesting, based on the article holding on to dear life to the idea that Amber Heard must be the innocent victim, she just must be!

At least they're sticking to their misguided ideological guns, rather than going radio silent on the whole topic because they've been proven wrong. Insert '... at least it's an ethos' joke here.

walderfrey69

they all think they're better than me
kiwifarms.net
I was completely oblivious to this phenomenon until baldur's gate siege of dragonspear came out and everyone was up in arms. That's when I heard of gamer gate, two years after it happened. Every time I try to get myself up to speed I get so bored that I fall asleep. I'm going to learn dwarf fortress and play that until all of this goes away. Or if I'm too dumb then I'll play scorched earth. Someone let me know when it's over.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
What's sad is almost all of this culture war crap could have been avoided if SJWs simply had the mindset of wanting to add to rather than take from.

So you want more women to play video games, fair enough, but it should have been done by making all new games designed with a female audience in mind, stuff like Gabriel Knight for example which had a huge female following.

If it resulted in simply more games to play that would have been fine, nothing wrong with variety, but instead the SJW mentality is to take pre-existing things and change them in their image completely, so it's not a matter of having games that appeal to both a male and female audience, it's got to only appeal to females at the cost of actively trying to push males away.

It's just so fucking pointless and stupid, this town is big enough for the both of us, nobody says you can't have a diverse market that appeals to a wide variety of tastes and audiences.

But an actual diverse market is the last thing SJWs want, they want everything that comes out to be something that gets their seal of approval.

Why are people doing this? Why all this fighting when it doesn't have to be this way? What is the appeal?

Why are people this way these days? Just why? Fucking WHY!?

SiccDicc

I can't throw people out of windows anymore :(
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What's sad is almost all of this culture war crap could have been avoided if SJWs simply had the mindset of wanting to add to rather than take from.

So you want more women to play video games, fair enough, but it should have been done by making all new games designed with a female audience in mind, stuff like Gabriel Knight for example which had a huge female following.

If it resulted in simply more games to play that would have been fine, nothing wrong with variety, but instead the SJW mentality is to take pre-existing things and change them in their image completely, so it's not a matter of having games that appeal to both a male and female audience, it's got to only appeal to females at the cost of actively trying to push males away.

It's just so fucking pointless and stupid, this town is big enough for the both of us, nobody says you can't have a diverse market that appeals to a wide variety of tastes and audiences.

But an actual diverse market is the last thing SJWs want, they want everything that comes out to be something that gets their seal of approval.

Why are people doing this? Why all this fighting when it doesn't have to be this way? What is the appeal?

Because they're fundamentalists that have been indoctrinated by the liberal arts as opposed to a religious text. Fundies are always going to behave this way regardless of their motivations for acting so.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
Anita was different because she campaigned on a left-wing platform, and was one of the first major SJW talking heads to gain mainstream traction. Seeing as she started getting really big in 2012-2013, she was able to get her foot in the door rather early. That went a long way in helping her initial image of credibility.
Another thing that helped was, by that time, games journalism was completely cucked. Bending the knee to advertisers and filled with normies who got into games journalism because nerd shit was cool back in 2008.

There was an old Tumblr comic by some furry that explained why they won't do that. I'll paraphrase it best I can.

They tried. Gone Home, Sunset, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, or whatever shitty hipster walking simulator you care to name. They all failed, or if they were a success, they were only successful in their small lefty bubble. The comic described it as one voice among thousands, not making a change. It's not because their games are shit. No, they were assured success because everybody on Twitter and in the games press who isn't a bigot told them their game was awesome.

But Battlefeild, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, people love those games. They aren't popular due to being good. They are popular simply because they are popular. If they make those games woke, then it will spread the right message™. Plus, they can increase sales by selling to all minorities and women.

That is the optimistic reason why they co-opt and destroy instead of create. The alternative is they hate games, but have connections to get put in charge.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
Corporations go along with wokeness because they assume they can't possibly alienate the pre-existing audience and they'll eat a plate of shit as long as it has the right label on it, even if a vocal minority complains. Wokeness, they assume, is adding an even bigger audience to their product thus more money. After all, look at the success of Star Wars after Disney bought it and made it a safe lifestyle brand for feminist wine aunts in California.

Jaimas

Give 'Em the Crab Jab
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Because they're untalented hacks and they know people won't buy their shit.

The user metrics for any of their shitty "message games" speak volumes. There's no audience for them except the tiny minority of dumbfucks in the Social Justice sphere. The thing is, the dumbfucks in the Social Justice sphere do not buy anything, even media specifically designed to appeal to them. Nor do they buy conventional media that is specifically angled their way by their favorite content creators. A really good example of this could be seen back in 2015, when Anita Sarkeesian, in a flat-out glowing review for the game in which she literally had nothing negative to say about the game, told her close-to-half a million subscribers on Youtube and over 20,000 Steam Curator followers to buy Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery, a recommendation that resulted in a net player increase of one.

So in other words, they aren't a market. They can't even begin to claim to be a market. And they need to appeal to a broader demographic. What this means is that they technically want broad market appeal, but they don't want to have to appeal to that broad market, since more often than not they hate that very same market. To those with a functioning sense of causality, this may seem completely contradictory, if not outright insane, but to the speds pushing this, this is completely natural. They don't see the customers as customers, but something to be propagandized at and browbeaten.

So what they do is move into something that already exists, displace the original staff, take the thing over, and then use that as a vector for whatever it is they want to do. It's not limited to Social Justice; Secular variants of this concept happen in media all the time (a good example being Tomm Hulett turning one of his shitty old RM2K game concepts into Silent Hill: Book of Memories). Social Justice just does it more than most because their ideas are completely unpalatable to the mainstream. The problem is that they're still untalented hacks and this change to try to shove their shit into a market that neither needed or wanted it causes the market to bottom out immediately.

Xolanite

Made-up gemstone
kiwifarms.net
Honestly the translation industry needs to carry out more purity tests. Everyone who falls short should be barred from doing any tfranslation work ever again.
It’s unfortunate that a scene, in my opinion was forgettable, has been altered to suit one person’s ideology. I was looking forward to playing Persona5R, but because of this, I will stick with the original game. I’m sure it will sell well overall, but I cannot support this.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
Sorry for replying to the same post twice, but I want to address this in depth.

It's complected, and varies from person to person.

Here's a list I made up listing some from most optimistic to most cynical. It's by no means complete.
  • They believe they are doing the right thing. True believers that think that games are sexist, and that if only they added a black man here and a woman there, the gaming industry would be a better place.
  • Money. AAA games have hit a market cap. eg. There is no one left who would buy Call of Duty that doesn't already know if they'd buy Call of Duty. They assume (or are told) that if they add a black guy here and a woman there, they will expand their customer base.
  • To live the "lifestyle". Years ago, there was a game developer Barbie that looked like a cross between Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn. It was total cringe, but if you've ever seen promotional material for programming or game development, that's the image they sell. It's not a nerd sitting at a desk writing code, but a hipster waking up at dawn, drinking orange juice while looking over the San Francisco bay, meeting friends at Starbucks, changing the world with some Twitter hashtags, before ending the day swapping impromptu poetry around a camp fire. The hours of dry technical documents and YouTube tutorials are downplayed, or absent entirely.
  • To make history. SJWs are largely ignorant of gaming, and think that they are breaking new ground and will get a place in the history books if they have the first female character, first gay character, etc. The same way Star Trek is lauded for having the first interracial kiss on TV back in the 1960s. It doesn't work though as they spend 6 months to 5 years making a game, only to be told "nah, the first trans character was Birdo in Mario". This might also explain why so many SJWs, when presented with facts like this, try to dismiss earlier games as not counting.
  • They are stuck. Just like DSP and Wings of Redemption, these are people who got into the industry early on and are now trapped. Gaming was booming around 2008, and it was considered cool. Now these people are in their 30s and it's not cool any more, but they are fucked because they spent the last 10 years building a career with no transferable skills.
  • Greed. Different from money in that it has no respect for the customer, and doesn't try to make a product people would want. Instead, it's about sacking the industry to extract as much short term profit as they can. See Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian. This can also include sex, influence, and favors.
I say all of this because I think those more towards the top of the list are getting more and more rare as the sins of social justice and corruption in the games industry is clear for all the see.

Jaimas

Give 'Em the Crab Jab
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sorry for replying to the same post twice, but I want to address this in depth.

It's complected, and varies from person to person.

Here's a list I made up listing some from most optimistic to most cynical. It's by no means complete.
  • They believe they are doing the right thing. True believers that think that games are sexist, and that if only they added a black man here and a woman there, the gaming industry would be a better place.
  • Money. AAA games have hit a market cap. eg. There is no one left who would buy Call of Duty that doesn't already know if they'd buy Call of Duty. They assume (or are told) that if they add a black guy here and a woman there, they will expand their customer base.
  • To live the "lifestyle". Years ago, there was a game developer Barbie that looked like a cross between Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn. It was total cringe, but if you've ever seen promotional material for programming or game development, that's the image they sell. It's not a nerd sitting at a desk writing code, but a hipster waking up at dawn, drinking orange juice while looking over the San Francisco bay, meeting friends at Starbucks, changing the world with some Twitter hashtags, before ending the day swapping impromptu poetry around a camp fire. The hours of dry technical documents and YouTube tutorials are downplayed, or absent entirely.
  • To make history. SJWs are largely ignorant of gaming, and think that they are breaking new ground and will get a place in the history books if they have the first female character, first gay character, etc. The same way Star Trek is lauded for having the first interracial kiss on TV back in the 1960s. It doesn't work though as they spend 6 months to 5 years making a game, only to be told "nah, the first trans character was Birdo in Mario". This might also explain why so many SJWs, when presented with facts like this, try to dismiss earlier games as not counting.
  • They are stuck. Just like DSP and Wings of Redemption, these are people who got into the industry early on and are now trapped. Gaming was booming around 2008, and it was considered cool. Now these people are in their 30s and it's not cool any more, but they are fucked because they spent the last 10 years building a career with no transferable skills.
  • Greed. Different from money in that it has no respect for the customer, and doesn't try to make a product people would want. Instead, it's about sacking the industry to extract as much short term profit as they can. See Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian. This can also include sex, influence, and favors.
I say all of this because I think those more towards the top of the list are getting more and more rare as the sins of social justice and corruption in the games industry is clear for all the see.
You left one out.
  • The entire Junk Data Sciences racket. Of all the parts of Social Justice, this one component is the only one that is literally bigger than Hollywood itself. While intended ostensibly to push Social Justice narratives, this educational version of a gray goo scenario now exists mostly to perpetuate itself. It stretches from education (where it involves junk degrees intended to push people into careers in which they push Social Justice), up throughl academia (where there is now entire swathes of people who will claim anything is peer-reviewed if paid enough, no matter how ridiculous), to the agitator circuit (as shown by Coraline Ada Ehmke), to the advisory pool (see: Rebecca Gerber before she lost her job), to the professional grifter pool (Anita), to the leadership pool (Kathleen Kennedy).

But what is Junk Data Science? Junk Data Science is the source of the empty, useless studies that serve no purpose other than pushing narratives and clogging out actual studies of scientific import. That report I listed from DIGRA, which attempts to show that there's a mandate for diversity from the video game customerbase and then shows the exact opposite? That's one of these, of which there are millions. Countless studies that serve absolutely no purpose, every year, all with the intent of pretending their foregone conclusions about intersectional Social Justice have some crumb of scientific fact behind them and so they can pretend there's a market for it. When some asshat acts like an entire industry needs to change due to demographic change or to appeal to a new market, Junk Data Science is almost invariably where they immediately turn to pretend there's a mandate for it.

robobobo

kiwifarms.net
Also, imagine yourself in one of these positions. You got your useless degree. You know somebody who knows somebody, and this game studio was told by Twitter that they need Diversity! So they hired you. You naturally want to keep your job. So what are you going to do? You can't just play Candy Crush all day, you'll get fucking fired. You have to look like you're helping the bottom line. So naturally you're going to go digging up your ass to come up with something to say at the meetings, and you'll want some numbers, any numbers, so you look intelligent and like someone who didn't just pull everything out of their ass. 5 minutes on Google later and suddenly 120% of all women are murdered by gamergate so the game they're making has to be all lesbians, paycheck time!

Never assume to malice what can be explained easily by laziness and greed. I'm sure a lot of people responsible for a lot of the gaming culture wars don't care about it beyond how much virtue signaling is necessary to keep their useless job so they can keep getting paid.

BrokenWokenBespoken

kiwifarms.net
Because they're untalented hacks and they know people won't buy their shit.

The user metrics for any of their shitty "message games" speak volumes. There's no audience for them except the tiny minority of dumbfucks in the Social Justice sphere. The thing is, the dumbfucks in the Social Justice sphere do not buy anything, even media specifically designed to appeal to them. Nor do they buy conventional media that is specifically angled their way by their favorite content creators. A really good example of this could be seen back in 2015, when Anita Sarkeesian, in a flat-out glowing review for the game in which she literally had nothing negative to say about the game, told her close-to-half a million subscribers on Youtube and over 20,000 Steam Curator followers to buy Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery, a recommendation that resulted in a net player increase of one.

So in other words, they aren't a market. They can't even begin to claim to be a market. And they need to appeal to a broader demographic. What this means is that they technically want broad market appeal, but they don't want to have to appeal to that broad market, since more often than not they hate that very same market. To those with a functioning sense of causality, this may seem completely contradictory, if not outright insane, but to the speds pushing this, this is completely natural. They don't see the customers as customers, but something to be propagandized at and browbeaten.

So what they do is move into something that already exists, displace the original staff, take the thing over, and then use that as a vector for whatever it is they want to do. It's not limited to Social Justice; Secular variants of this concept happen in media all the time (a good example being Tomm Hulett turning one of his shitty old RM2K game concepts into Silent Hill: Book of Memories). Social Justice just does it more than most because their ideas are completely unpalatable to the mainstream. The problem is that they're still untalented hacks and this change to try to shove their shit into a market that neither needed or wanted it causes the market to bottom out immediately.
I think the counterpoint is that what the titles they promote are pure arthouse works. The small minority dont do locking of the shields like the other side does. They dont see it reasonable to defend everythig on their side and that includes games with arthouse statements.

Meanwhile the weebs and those who felt wronged by the journalists constantly show efforts of solidarity no matter how biche the games are.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
All of a sudden a smug chuckle can be hear over the horizon. Into the sky arrises the head of Sargon of Akkad which has been inflatedn by his ego. The words Gamergate 2.0 printed on his headHe looks, down on the earth and says "Remember when I said I wouldnt rape you? I Lied." He whips out his dick and covers the earth with his cum. And similar to how Venus rose from Uranus's semen, an army of liberalists arise from his gift of life and begin spreading the gospel of Gamergate all across the world. Sargon then flies off to his home planet of Applebees. In awe of what he has witnessed, Donald Trump picks up his phone, opens the twitter app and posts only one word: Gamergate. This prompts gamers all over the globe to rise up. Combined with the liberalists they begin The Final Solution. All Resetera Users, Game Journos, feminists, and troons are lynched for being absolute spergs. This revolution captures the East Coast in a day, The entire US in a week, North America in a month, and the entire world in a year. Sarkeesian, Quinn and Wu are executged and their blood is used to mark the spot of the capital of the New Kekistani empire. The Kekistani empire then begins expanding its reach across the Milky Way, The Galaxy, the Universe, and Finally the multiverse.

Irrational Exuberance

SPEND! SPEND! SPEND!
kiwifarms.net
All of a sudden a smug chuckle can be hear over the horizon. Into the sky arrises the head of Sargon of Akkad which has been inflatedn by his ego. The words Gamergate 2.0 printed on his headHe looks, down on the earth and says "Remember when I said I wouldnt rape you? I Lied." He whips out his dick and covers the earth with his cum. And similar to how Venus rose from Uranus's semen, an army of liberalists arise from his gift of life and begin spreading the gospel of Gamergate all across the world. Sargon then flies off to his home planet of Applebees. In awe of what he has witnessed, Donald Trump picks up his phone, opens the twitter app and posts only one word: Gamergate. This prompts gamers all over the globe to rise up. Combined with the liberalists they begin The Final Solution. All Resetera Users, Game Journos, feminists, and troons are lynched for being absolute spergs. This revolution captures the East Coast in a day, The entire US in a week, North America in a month, and the entire world in a year. Sarkeesian, Quinn and Wu are executged and their blood is used to mark the spot of the capital of the New Kekistani empire. The Kekistani empire then begins expanding its reach across the Milky Way, The Galaxy, the Universe, and Finally the multiverse.
Sir, this is a Chik-Fil-A.

Tags
None