Culture Wars General - KiA Diet Coke Edition

Jaimas

Give 'Em the Crab Jab
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm randomly jumping in but... Has anyone told whoever wrote this video games are just electronic toys and not to take them so fucking seriously?

Like, I get being passionate about your favorite series and stuff but jfc, this is so a first world problem. I can't imagine the mentality to be so absorbed in this stupid dogma and not see the bigger picture and just enjoy life while you're living in a nice, cozy first world country with all your needs met.
Funny you should bring that up.

A hobbyist sperging about something they care about can be forgiven for said sperging since it's.... Y'know, something they're invested in. It's not limited to video games, it's all hobbies, everywhere, as anyone who's talked trains with a miniature railroad enthusiast or tabletop games with the likes of @Randall Fragg knows. Telling anyone that something they've invested time or energy in doesn't matter is a sure-fire way to piss them off, which is why it's a zero-effort way to do so. The smarter ones will realize you have a nugget of truth in there, realize that they're overreacting, and take a nice cool glass of lol calm down.

But there's something very interesting that happens when you confront the Progressive activist circuit with this same strategy: They get fucking enraged, to a degree a even a genuine hobbyist won't, and the more innocuous the dismissal, the more it aggravates them. I've seen the more inveterate ResetERA posters get driven into a fucking meltdown over the same lol calm down that would cause self-reflection in an actual hobbyist, which is a very interesting response from a lolcow perspective.

At a glance, this doesn't make a lick of sense, until you analyze the people doing it a bit closer. The activist circuit mostly consists of people whose lone accomplishment of note is being an activist and supporting "the right side of history." Many of them have no real qualifications, minimal skills, and no job prospects beyond activism. An embarassingly high number of them are on SSDI, and this activism consumes pretty much all of their time and energy. A reoccurring theme with them, to the point that it's virtually a meme in the ResetERA thread, is that they grow absolutely incensed by the mere suggestion that something they're Autistically screeching about isn't as big a problem as they think it is.

They have nothing except this.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I've seen the more inveterate ResetERA posters get driven into a fucking meltdown over the same lol calm down that would cause self-reflection in an actual hobbyist, which is a very interesting response from a lolcow perspective.
There's a reason lol calm down has been a Kiwi meme since before RetardEra existed or before I was even here. A true lolcow will almost invariably freak the fuck out if told to calm down.

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you've read one, you've literally read all of them, because they all touch upon the same things, cite the same sources, and address the same talking points. Because it isn't at all suspicious when 14 publications do that at the exact same time, no sir.
Sure isn't. Now eat the bugs.

ultimate_racoon

I fucking spelled raccoon wrong
kiwifarms.net
Any other elderly people date white girls back in the 90's? I remember one felt guilty about the holocaust I guess because some of her ancestors emigrated from Germany to the U.S. back in the 1800's. Another absolutely loved a painting at the museum, just because the subject was an African girl. And another told me during the get to know each other over drinks phase that she was really into civil rights and movies about civil rights. Sort of like when someone with no interests or hobbies becomes a "foodie". Has anyone figured out where culture wars came from? You guys have established the "men" are trying to get laid by those women. I get that. But why did so many people end up with diversity as a hobby? Equal rights, sure, but what is so interesting about it.

Jaimas

Give 'Em the Crab Jab
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Any other elderly people date white girls back in the 90's? I remember one felt guilty about the holocaust I guess because some of her ancestors emigrated from Germany to the U.S. back in the 1800's. Another absolutely loved a painting at the museum, just because the subject was an African girl. And another told me during the get to know each other over drinks phase that she was really into civil rights and movies about civil rights. Sort of like when someone with no interests or hobbies becomes a "foodie". Has anyone figured out where culture wars came from? You guys have established the "men" are trying to get laid by those women. I get that. But why did so many people end up with diversity as a hobby? Equal rights, sure, but what is so interesting about it.
It's not that they find it interesting, it's that they are literally told that they are bad people if they do not fight for diversity.A good example from the Autism Holy war was a 16-year-old girl who was told that she had to dox GG supporters in order to be good feminist. Social media makes these people particularly easy to wind up, and they know they can face potential ideological expulsion if they don't toe the line. It's cult behavior. The attempt to force people to account for the sins of people that came before them is part of the same shit, a way to attain power over others without earning it.

ultimate_racoon

I fucking spelled raccoon wrong
kiwifarms.net
I guess but it's been around since before websites. Those girls didn't get it from facebook. I remember we had to learn about the holocaust about 3 times in school. In 10th grade the girls liked to have emotions and cry over the footage. I get that it was bad but it always felt like watching the footage because emotions feel good is going about it the wrong way.

Everyone says if we don't learn from history we're doomed to repeat it. Or they say the conflicts in the middle east go back hundreds of years. But they don't. Those people were taught all that stuff 10 years ago. I remember reading an article how elderly people who were part of the hitler youth are still racist. My theory is people are just really programmable at some point around age 12. I think we should start teaching kids that everything has always been just fine. Then the middle east will have peace, the culture wars will go away, and guys can start dating women with interesting hobbies.

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
Anita found another grift to work out. Please give them money so a bot can tell you mean words on the internet can't hurt you.
Games and Online Harassment Hotline on Twitter_ _Hotline is now open._ - twitter.com.png

Hope you only run into problems in a 5 hour slot or you're shit out of luck. Got this pic from the Quartering.
gameshotline.png

The first link for a site supposedly for helping people feeling emotionally distressed is for telling women on tv if they need to sue someone. Amazing.
Resources – Games and Online Harassment Hotline - gameshotline.org.png
Would you give Anita another 50k to own the mean gamers online? Seriously how does she keep getting money? Has she fully followed through on any of the shit she's done?
Donate – Games and Online Harassment Hotline - gameshotline.org.png

Jaimas

Give 'Em the Crab Jab
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anita found another grift to work out. Please give them money so a bot can tell you mean words on the internet can't hurt you.
View attachment 1170977
Hope you only run into problems in a 5 hour slot or you're shit out of luck. Got this pic from the Quartering.
View attachment 1170985

The first link for a site supposedly for helping people feeling emotionally distressed is for telling women on tv if they need to sue someone. Amazing.
View attachment 1170980
Would you give Anita another 50k to own the mean gamers online? Seriously how does she keep getting money? Has she fully followed through on any of the shit she's done?
View attachment 1170994
Wow, they literally listed Scams Lifeline as a source.

Reactions: Ineedahero

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
But there's something very interesting that happens when you confront the Progressive activist circuit with this same strategy: They get fucking enraged, to a degree a even a genuine hobbyist won't, and the more innocuous the dismissal, the more it aggravates them.
What I find funny about it is how much they flip flop based on whatever is convenient right now. If they are defending shitty walking simulators today, "games are art", "games need to grow up", "come to my panel about auteur theory". If tomorrow they have to justify censorship and smear campaigns. "lol umad" "game are just toys" "look at these manbabies throwing a tantrum" "this is not the hill to die on".

Has anyone figured out where culture wars came from? You guys have established the "men" are trying to get laid by those women. I get that. But why did so many people end up with diversity as a hobby? Equal rights, sure, but what is so interesting about it.
I know I repeat this point a lot, but you asked and I like talking about it.

Broadly speaking, I think there are 3 main reason. The first 2 are straight forward. There are predators like you describe who are trying to cover for the skeletons in their closet, and there are people who genuinely believe there is a problem and are doing what they think will fix it.

But the third reason, and the one I think is most common, is that people are posers, or poseurs if you want to be snooty about it. In the late 2000s there was a fad for "nerd stuff" and ironic hipster-ism. This song is from 2010, but it could just as easily be describing game journalists today.

In my opinion, a lot of this started when posers got into gaming and other nerd hobbies when it was "cool", but once the fad had passed they were trapped in games journalism with no qualifications. Gamers wanted to talk about games and not social justice activism or whatever else was popular. Same goes for comics. Same goes for anime.

Because of the echo-chamber, the clique, the bubble, or whatever you want to call it, all they hear is the same opinions repeated back to them. They still think they're cool, they still think they're winning the argument and controlling the corridors of power. It's those MAGA hat wearing bigots that causing their ivory tower to crumble around them, not their own actions.

Edit: Fixed a word.

Last edited:

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
This was just pinged in a Minecraft modpack discord. (This is the lead dev.)
View attachment 1171074

Then of course people got mad and so another developer had to step in.
View attachment 1171075

The fuck is the point of this? No one is here to circlejerk about politicians.
Holy shit, does she think Bernie will just wave a magic wand and fix everything? Even if Bernie did somehow manage to win(he won't because the Democrats are actively out to fuck him over) that debt would not go away anytime soon. Honestly anyone who thinks their politician of choice will just fix all of their problems if they get in office is a massive idiot.

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
What I find funny about it is how much they flip flop based on whatever is convenient right now. If they are defending shitty walking simulators today, "games are art", "games need to grow up", "come to my panel about auteur theory". If tomorrow they have to justify censorship and smear campaigns. "lol umad" "game are just toys" "look at these manbabies throwing a tantrum" "this is not the hill to die on".

I know I repeat this point a lot, but you asked and I like talking about it.

Broadly speaking, I think there are 3 main reason. The first 2 are straight forward. There are predators like you describe who are trying to cover for the skeletons in their closet, and there are people who genuinely believe there is a problem and are doing what they think will fix it.

But the third reason, and the one I think is most common, is that people are posers, or poseurs if you want to be snooty about it. In the late 2000s there was a fad for "nerd stuff" and ironic hipster-ism. This song is from 2010, but it could just as easily be describing game journalists today.

In my opinion, a lot of this started when posers got into gaming and other nerd hobbies when it was "cool", but once the fad had passed they were trapped in games journalism with no qualifications. Gamers wanted to talk about games and not social justice activism or whatever else was popular. Same goes for comics. Same goes for anime.

Because of the echo-chamber, the clique, the bubble, or whatever you want to call it, all they hear is the same opinions repeated back to them. They still think they're cool, they still think they're winning the argument and controlling the corridors of power. It's those MAGA hat wearing bigots that causing their ivory tower to crumble around them, not their own actions.

Edit: Fixed a word.
So TLDR Big Bang Theory ruined everything.

Miller

You're gonna extract HIM?!
kiwifarms.net
I'm randomly jumping in but... Has anyone told whoever wrote this video games are just electronic toys and not to take them so fucking seriously?

Like, I get being passionate about your favorite series and stuff but jfc, this is so a first world problem. I can't imagine the mentality to be so absorbed in this stupid dogma and not see the bigger picture and just enjoy life while you're living in a nice, cozy first world country with all your needs met.
It reminds me of that Brote video (I think I might have posted it here before).

Ineedahero

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1170977
View attachment 1170985

View attachment 1170980
View attachment 1170994
That is amazing, can you imagine getting owned so hard you have to call a hotline for professional help? I hope they record the calls they get, because they must be hilarious.

Let's start up our own hotline - a 24 hour one that just plays a clip of someone saying 'git gud scrub'

Tags
None