Culture Wars General - KiA Diet Coke Edition

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

Because the world is SO BAD, like diet soda.
kiwifarms.net
I think it was the other way around. Gaming has, at many times over the mediums history, tried to imitate some other, more mainstream medium with mixed results. "Cinematic" games are a great example of this, pushed to the extreme with walking simulators. Esports could be their own thing, but instead of more "moment number 37", we get ridiculous pomp and glamour to appeal to normies who like pay-per-view boxing, and it just doesn't work.

I've got good news and bad news for you. Wokeness is dying. Wokeness will never die.

Fair-weather hipsters and con artists will leave. It's hard to imagine true SJWs in the old folks home ranting about Trump and sexism, but that's what I think will happen. There will always be that demographic, no matter how small, tweeting about whatever ism is on their mind. The question is how loud it will be.

Let's look at Feminist Frequency as one example. Gone from millions of viewers and being able to get meeting at the UN, to barely 3000 viewers and largely ignored by everyone. You see her name dropped every now and then, but no one gives a shit.
Feminist frequency died because Anita Sarkeesian has the work ethic of Lowtax.

Her kind of shit is everywhere now. Now she'd just be a face in the crowd and they're a dime a dozen.

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Her kind of shit is everywhere now. Now she'd just be a face in the crowd and they're a dime a dozen.
Feminist Frequency died because they rented a penthouse suite in LA for an office and took "research trips" to Europe and Asia every week. Anita is a dumbass who doesn't realize that sjw shit doesn't generate revenue and that high profile sjws like Zoe Quinn use family money and trust funds to fund their bullshit.

Syaoran Li

Commie Punks Fuck Off!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

True, but here is a potential counterpoint...
Let's say your doomsaying is premature and the Woke Left's cultural takeover ends up being a premature false start and that for whatever reason, we do get a backlash against the Woke Left after 2020 is over and done with.

Like, let's say in this timeline Julian the Philosopher actually succeeds in his endeavors at trying to stop the demise of Paganism and doesn't mysteriously die in Parthia barely a few years into his reign...

Or how about a 2021 where the Democrats take some massive losses in the election and so the corporate backers decide to cut the line (for now) since they can't influence the politics and Corona hit their pocketbooks a bit too much to risk more "Get Woke, Go Broke" faux pas in the interim and they go back to making sure they don't take any more major financial hits. They have too much money for a boycott campaign to work but we're in a major economic slump right now so who knows?

Trump gets four more years and the GOP both maintains the Senate and takes back the House.

The DNC decides to realign and redesign their platform to prevent further downballot losses in the next four to eight years.

They'll shift the blame onto a mix of Biden's poor health issues and also play up the lunacy of Antifa/BLM/DSA and the SJW's to pacify the corporate donors and the Boomers and Gen X voters (who both tend to have more consistent voter turnout than Zoomers or Millennials) and make SJW's into a laughing stock as damage control (and then lionize them decades later when we're all old and gray) like they did with the hippies post-1972

The Squad end up becoming even bigger pariahs in the Democratic Party than before, and AOC in particular gets her district gerrymandered out of existence. Ilhan Omar will likely be made an outcast too, although Tlaib and Pressley might skate by if they can publicly "sell out" and go corporate for a bit.

As a result, the grand Constantinian culture shift towards wokeness is put on hold by the bigwigs while they wait for the Boomers to fully die off and Gen X to be at the same age range that the Boomers are at right now. It's not ended, just temporarily put on hold and there's still a fuck ton of true believer SJW's, they're just not as backed by the corporate establishment like they were before.

The media decide to win back the audiences and make some quick cash by going "edgy" or more likely, apolitical. This serves as a palate cleanser for the masses after a decade of woke culture and wins back the audiences across the aisles.

The bearded soy-faced bugmen will buy into it as long as it has all the right logos and branding and so will most of the dangerhair punk sows since it makes it easier for the more "thot" types to grift the bearded eggs. The true believer womanchildren/femcels are just as bad for being drone consoomers as the bearded four-eyed bugmen, and so long as they don't pull a JK Rowling and actively make statements that will push the buttons of black fragility and tranny fragility, then the wokesters will not break ranks.

Meanwhile, the normies and the "edgy" types (AKA non-SJW's) will tune in because they think they won the culture war and will spend more money again and while video games were likely one of the last major media formats in the West to get woke, they'll also likely take a bit longer to go "un-woke" for a variety of reasons.

The video game industry is likely the one that will take the longest time to see the effects of SJW culture fully disappear in the event of a true backlash because AAA games are both extremely expensive and take a very long time to produce.

With the exception of first-party games from Sony and Microsoft, the massive AAA companies are also more likely to be hurt by woke AAA releases that flop as well. But it will take a few years for this shit to fully cycle out, so we may see games that had to be "Anita-proofed" back in 2017-2019 when they were still in production actually get released in 2021-2022 or early 2023.

Honestly, I think Anita's influence might already be waning despite the virtue-signaling because she's more or less a broke nobody who's burned a lot of bridges in the industry (but has too much journalist support to publicly blacklist or denounce) and she's not alone in this either

If anything, Anita's involvement in The Last of Us Part II was likely a case where she knew that she had to move onto a new grift soon and cashed in the last of her chips to call in one more favor and deliver a final "Fuck You!" to trigger and own the gamer chuds before she moved on to whatever her next grift will be (something a pretentious hipster/punk snob like Druckmann was all too happy to help her with)

Yeah, Anita is but one of many voices now but she is more or less one of those bellwethers for the Woke Left and if she loses influence and corporate favor, a lot of other dangerhairs will too since they are usually a lot less functional and outwardly respectable in the eyes of the suits than Anita is.

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

kiwifarms.net
Anita doesn't matter because the culture in mass media has shifted to her direction. She's only not around anymore herself because she was an exceptionally lazy person.

I'm more interested in evidence it's starting to shift the other way. Right now the entire political/corporate/media/entertainment apparatus is all super woke and this stuff is VERY popular among millennials and it has some popularity among Gen Z (who I suspect are more political at a younger age, and not in a good way).

Syaoran Li

Commie Punks Fuck Off!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anita doesn't matter because the culture in mass media has shifted to her direction. She's only not around anymore herself because she was an exceptionally lazy person.

I'm more interested in evidence it's starting to shift the other way. Right now the entire political/corporate/media/entertainment apparatus is all super woke and this stuff is VERY popular among millennials and it has some popularity among Gen Z (who I suspect are more political at a younger age, and not in a good way).
Honestly, I don't think we'll see any evidence of a shift in the opposite direction until the latter half of 2021 at the earliest and that will depend on the election.

Also, keep in mind the woke shit is more popular among the early Gen Z, who are more or less just late-model Millennials mindset wise. The Core and Late Zoomers are a lot harder to read and the Core Zoomers are just now old enough to vote

The only thing separating Late Millennials from Early Zoomers is whether or not they were born in Clinton's first term as president or during his second term.

Last edited:

SuudsuAddict

kiwifarms.net
'm more interested in evidence it's starting to shift the other way. Right now the entire political/corporate/media/entertainment apparatus is all super woke and this stuff is VERY popular among millennials and it has some popularity among Gen Z (who I suspect are more political at a younger age, and not in a good way).
That makes them the establishment then, doesn't it? That would mean anyone who is making content contrary to them is the new counterculture.

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

kiwifarms.net
That makes them the establishment then, doesn't it? That would mean anyone who is making content contrary to them is the new counterculture.
Yes, though it may not be recognized as such this time, and since things are so politically charged it may not be considered as counter-culture by people in general.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
SJWism will eventually die because people simply get fucking bored after a while, it doesn't matter what it is or how much of a BIG FUCKING DEAL people act like it is, with enough time people will just get bored and want something different.

Think of all the anger and all the outrage the left had over Bush and the Iraq war, it was a BIG FUCKING DEAL just like the racial and gender shit is a BIG FUCKING DEAL now but eventually there came a time where it was as if it had never even happened at all, so quickly did everyone on the left just get bored and forget about it.

Wonderful Id

kiwifarms.net
SJWism will eventually die because people simply get fucking bored after a while, it doesn't matter what it is or how much of a BIG FUCKING DEAL people act like it is, with enough time people will just get bored and want something different.

Think of all the anger and all the outrage the left had over Bush and the Iraq war, it was a BIG FUCKING DEAL just like the racial and gender shit is a BIG FUCKING DEAL now but eventually there came a time where it was as if it had never even happened at all, so quickly did everyone on the left just get bored and forget about it.
The sooner it becomes less of a BIG FUCKING DEAL, the better, and for them. The clapback is coming, and the longer this breed of SJWism runs rampant, the harder they'll get hit back.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
The sooner it becomes less of a BIG FUCKING DEAL, the better, and for them. The clapback is coming, and the longer this breed of SJWism runs rampant, the harder they'll get hit back.
The thing to remember though is the left will always have their bugbears they obsess over decade to decade, the very concept of not being discontent is alien to them, they live to whine and complain.

But I just hope that eventually their obsession over identity politics in media and hobbies will end and they'll move on to something more easily ignored.

My prediction is the next big thing will be a revival in environmentalism, a return to "save the trees" hippy dippy bullshit being their main focus.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
Yes, though it may not be recognized as such this time, and since things are so politically charged it may not be considered as counter-culture by people in general.
We’ve reached a weird situation in the western world where popular culture has deliberately stopped reflecting the values, beliefs and foundational culture of society, and people are questioning it in growing numbers.

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

kiwifarms.net
We’ve reached a weird situation in the western world where popular culture has deliberately stopped reflecting the values, beliefs and foundational culture of society, and people are questioning it in growing numbers.
That'll change, and by I mean that people's values will simply change.

wholetthegodsout

kiwifarms.net
If you get out of your comfort zone in real life you will find that they are.

:(
I find that the big thing is in the context of gaming a lot of this stuff is easy to ignore. Sure maybe you didn't like Abby in TLOU2 but otherwise the game is pretty high quality and fun to play. Same with most of these other games. Average person just wants to play a fun game and can usually set aside a lot of this stuff as long as it isn't too overbearing (wolfenstein 2 being an example).

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

kiwifarms.net
I find that the big thing is in the context of gaming a lot of this stuff is easy to ignore. Sure maybe you didn't like Abby in TLOU2 but otherwise the game is pretty high quality and fun to play. Same with most of these other games. Average person just wants to play a fun game and can usually set aside a lot of this stuff as long as it isn't too overbearing (wolfenstein 2 being an example).
Fuck video games, I'm talking about coworkers and people on the street I otherwise wouldn't associate with.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
My prediction is the next big thing will be a revival in environmentalism, a return to "save the trees" hippy dippy bullshit being their main focus.
I'm already noticing a rise in veganism and "meat is murder" bullshit.

What happened to the right after Jack Thompson and other censors were discredited and disappeared? We've seen the same patterns play out so far, so it's reasonable to assume it will continue to do so. The only thing I'm aware of is Pure Flix movies, and that's because of Cinema Snob.

Whatever it is, it'll have to be low effort. SJWs are in their early 40s, so I doubt they'll have the energy to get tear gassed and rape each other at conventions any more.

Edit: Fixed typo.

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I'm already noticing a rise in veganism and "meat it murder" bullshit.

What happened to the right after Jack Thompson and other censors were discredited and disappeared? We've seen the same patterns play out so far, so it's reasonable to assume it will continue to do so. The only thing I'm aware of is Pure Flix movies, and that's because of Cinema Snob.

Whatever it is, it'll have to be low effort. SJWs are in their early 40s, so I doubt they'll have the energy to get tear gassed and rape each other at conventions any more.
Food seems to be one of their big obsessions that come and go every so often, remember all the sperging out over fast food by the left in the 2000s? McDonald's was the great satan, Margaret Atwood of Handmaid's Tale fame wrote a novel in 2003 that dealt with GMOs among other things, there were endless documentaries about the evils of the food industry like Food Inc, Super Size Me and King Corn as well as the book and movie Fast Food Nation.

Then in the 2010s they stopped giving a shit, they had moved on to the gender and racial obsessions, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's what they revive next.

Last edited:
Tags
None