Culture Wars General - KiA Diet Coke Edition

BrokenWokenBespoken

kiwifarms.net
Food seems to be one of their big obsessions that come and go every so often, remember all the sperging out over fast food by the left in the 2000s? McDonald's was the great satan, Margaret Atwood of Handmaid's Tale fame wrote a novel in 2003 that dealt with GMOs among other things, there were endless documentaries about the evils of the food industry like Food Inc, Super Size Me and King Corn as well as the book and movie Fast Food Nation.

Then in the 2010s they stopped giving a shit, they had moved on to the gender and racial obsessions, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's what they revive next.
Problem is the food industry is an essential need. Even then Starbucks and overpriced coffee saw a massive downsizing compared to the belief that Starbucks would takeover every corner of the mall when in reality they are shrinking.

Gaming and entertainment is an "non-essential" good, people can always shut up and turn to their media backlog (until Disney delist it) and the amount of shit pumped out in the app store and indies makes it hard for anyone to stand out. Meanwhile the people who want changes can't actually change anything because they are spending their time ranting about the infilitration online and believing that the cultural authorities will do everything to stamp it out for wrongthink instead of taking a risk and seeing what sticks.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Problem is the food industry is an essential need. Even then Starbucks and overpriced coffee saw a massive downsizing compared to the belief that Starbucks would takeover every corner of the mall when in reality they are shrinking.

Gaming and entertainment is an "non-essential" good, people can always shut up and turn to their media backlog (until Disney delist it) and the amount of shit pumped out in the app store and indies makes it hard for anyone to stand out. Meanwhile the people who want changes can't actually change anything because they are spending their time ranting about the infilitration online and believing that the cultural authorities will do everything to stamp it out for wrongthink instead of taking a risk and seeing what sticks.
The control freak nature they had in the 2000s over food and wanting to dictate what people can and can't eat is much like the control freak nature they have today over media, wanting to dictate what people can and can't watch or play.

I used to be liberal, then I wanted to believe the left had simply declined, but nowadays the more I look back the more it seems to me like the left has always been the same, it's just taken different forms and it's me that's changed.

They've always been elitist, control freak assholes that like to get on their high horses and look down on everyone else, whether that's looking down on John and Jane America for going through the drive thru or looking down on male gamers for liking big breasted female video game characters.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Looks like retards had a seizure over Ghost not being designed by real asians and having white people who like samurai movies on the team.

They deducted like 3 points just for that about whitewashing japanese history(by which they mean making it appeal to western tastes for the game, by having a Kurosawa black and white film grain mode). Also no chopping down trees, which they wanted in the game for some reason. Breath of the Wild didn't even use tree paths outside of like 3 places that required it.

little write up about the author

Edmond isn't Japanese but regularly gets mistaken for being so, and thinks you should watch and/or read Lone Wolf and Cub. He spent about 30 hours in Tsushima before writing this review. Code was provided by the publisher.
He's mad because his SEKRET KLUB is being breached

Last edited:

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
I used to be liberal, then I wanted to believe the left had simply declined, but nowadays the more I look back the more it seems to me like the left has always been the same, it's just taken different forms and it's me that's changed.

They've always been elitist, control freak assholes that like to get on their high horses and look down on everyone else, whether that's looking down on John and Jane America for going through the drive thru or looking down on male gamers for liking big breasted female video game characters.
I'm not so sure. The left collapsed into lunacy, but I've been skeptical that the right will stay sane. Sure enough, I'm seeing a slow increasing in things being branded as "degeneracy". It started small, limited to fringe groups throwing the term at people that would likely get a thread here; but over time it's changed to a label being thrown at even tame anime games or anything with a furry in it (Starfox and Bayonetta would be called degenerate if they were released today).

There's likely some reason for this. Control freaks jumping into whatever political party is in control, or winning political parties getting high on their own farts and letting the mask slip. Either way the result is the same.

Sorry in advance for the tism, but there's something I've been thinking about a while when it comes to that.

As others have said, I expect woke culture in games to last until 2022, maybe 2024 if George Floyd gave wokeness a boost. Woke culture is dying, but games already in production aren't going to turn around at the last minute, it's too much work. But let's say that AAA doesn't turn around. Will there be a second games industry that grows and eventually replaces the current industry, all without most gamers realising?

I use Godot, it's an open source game engine mostly for 2D, but the 3D side is being worked on. The official community is full woke, but the devs aren't. To the point where there's almost two communities, one discussing the engine, making games, and doing the work, and another redesigning the logo to make it more LGBTQ+, putting pronouns in their bios, and running straw polls about how sexist the games industry is.

The games industry as a whole seems to be somewhat similar. Devolver Digital, Warhorse, many indie devs, and many Japenese devs don't give a fuck about going woke, and are making games people want to play. Sure, woke culture has a few scalps like The Last Night, Dead or Alive, and Senran Kagura, but they're losing overall. The same is true with the press where it's YouTubers like ACG and Skill-Up that are trusted review sources, while IGN and GameSpot are posting click bait and getting caught stealing content.

If this does happen, I don't think most people will notice. The old guard will fall, the new talent will rise and get bought out by AAA. Not all that different from how it always was.

Miller

Say "no" to kikongo
kiwifarms.net
Isn't Ghost of Tsushima just Assassin's Creed Samurai but without the Animus and its meta crap?

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I'm not so sure. The left collapsed into lunacy, but I've been skeptical that the right will stay sane. Sure enough, I'm seeing a slow increasing in things being branded as "degeneracy". It started small, limited to fringe groups throwing the term at people that would likely get a thread here; but over time it's changed to a label being thrown at even tame anime games or anything with a furry in it (Starfox and Bayonetta would be called degenerate if they were released today).

There's likely some reason for this. Control freaks jumping into whatever political party is in control, or winning political parties getting high on their own farts and letting the mask slip. Either way the result is the same.
See, you raise a good point, it seems like a hate of sexual content is the one thing the looney left and the radical right can both agree on.

They're also both weirdly hypocritical with it in different ways too, the left gets it's panties in a bunch over sexy video game or comic book women but are fine with irl women doing sexual content, the right meanwhile gets it's panties in a bunch over irl women doing sexual content but are fine with sexy video game or comic book women.

It's become increasingly clear to me that if I can be labeled anything I guess I would be libertarian, not that libertarianism is perfect (it's not a perfect world and thus no political ideology will be perfect) but it seems to be the best balance to me.

And what's funny is I'm going full circle, because I used to describe myself as libertarian as a teenager, it used to be more clear to me that there were elements of the left I didn't like as well as elements of the right I didn't like, but I got swept up in the wave of Obama and as an early 20 something described myself as simply a liberal, now I've moved more and more away from that, but there's still a lot of things I don't like about the right.

A desperate desire to control sexual content is where I part ways with anyone, people should be free to have it if they want it.

Wallace

Cram it in me, baby!
kiwifarms.net
Back in 2004 or so there was a similar exodus from the Republican party as a bunch of people realized that the Fox News Right was completely barking mad.

Aaa0aaa0

Internet Sticker Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
Can't wait for 20 or so years from now where I'm shitposting on Neo-Nu-Kiwifarms about the right wing's mass media takeover.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to the middle ground where the left calms the fuck down and such. I don't mind a right wing dominance for a bit if they don't turn into the left later on (ie swinging back to the satanic panic and such), but according to history, it's unlikely. I'll take a humbling for my own side at least, all this extremism isn't helping anyone.

If the right wing hates irl female nudity, does this means that the new war would be on FMV games? 🤔

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
If the right wing hates irl female nudity, does this means that the new war would be on FMV games?
I think it would be on Twitch, Skyrim mods, and anime games first. No one really makes games like Night Trap or BMX XXX anymore. The closest I can think of is the Super Seducer games.

Reactions: Aaa0aaa0

albertbrown26

#1 Bill Hicks fan
kiwifarms.net
I think it would be on Twitch, Skyrim mods, and anime games first. No one really makes games like Night Trap or BMX XXX anymore. The closest I can think of is the Super Seducer games.
I haven’t heard a title like BMX XXX in years.
For me, I always laugh at how much female critics like to mock Dead Or Alive Volleyball for being a silly game about swimsuit models playing volleyball with a random Dennis Rodman voiceover.
The fighting games were cool in its heyday.

Those were some good times.

LightDragonman1

kiwifarms.net
Apparently, some folks on TV Tropes are big fans of what Anita Sarkeesian has said (this is in regards to TLOUII):

"Most of the dumbest hate i've seen is directed to Abby and her physique. Also everything involving Anita Sarkeesian somehow, because she decided one day that Joel was to catch a fatal case of golf because he is a white male. Or that's what the internet tells me every day."

"Anita Sarkesian is an Actual Pacifist who wants to promote non-violent, puzzle based games as alternatives to the constant stream of shooters as well as nihilistic murder fests. She doesn't want to get rid of them but they're not her cup of tea. I can't imagine her being, "Oh yes, that's what I love to see, women protagonists being every bit as violent and horrible as toxic masculinity male heroes." I bet any poster here five bucks it'll be that.

(I love Anita FYI and think her work is some of the best in video blogging—we can use a bit more Monkey Island and less modern military shooter, IMHO)"

Aaa0aaa0

Internet Sticker Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
Kiss my ass BAFTA, I've seen your picks on steam and at least half of the are underwhelming.

"20% target for those identifying as belonging to an under-represented ethnic group" ha ha ha sorry Japan guess who can't be included in the BAFTA awards anymore for being ungrateful racist lol. Does this mean if the world's first all black game studio dosen't include one minority in it that they, too, will be kicked? Or will they get special condescending asspats for being all dark?

"7% target for those identifying as D/deaf and disabled" - love them trying to separate the D/deaf community from the disabled as to not piss off the Deaf community but still lumping them in the same category anyway.

Their guide on how to make your office space bully free is also embarrassing and I would not have sex with any of the people who wrote it.

Edit: forgot to mention two things:

"The game’s core team support and engage meaningfully with local and online grassroots organisations." You MUST GO TO CHURCH EVERY SUNDAY see good community groups if you want to be a part of our club.

Lastly I wonder if someone was still butthurt that Kingdom Come: Deliverance was successful and won awards and acclaim in spite of the central european accurate historical setting.

Last edited:

Miller

Say "no" to kikongo
kiwifarms.net
Who cares? Game awards are all absolutely fake payola bullshit anyway.
Most of us don't care but there are people out there who desperately want video games to be recognized as art.
Of course it has nothing to do with video games, it's all about the ego, they want their relatives to know that they're not making expensive toys but "cinematic experiences about two people of the same sex who love each other while they try to survive in a post-apocalyptic world full of zomb- infected people and bigots".

Last edited:
Tags
None