Culture Wars General - KiA Diet Coke Edition

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
RIP in pepperoni Japan Studio. Killed by Sony itself.

Studio Japan.png

Sony is winding down original game development at its oldest first-party developer, Japan Studio, multiple sources have told VGC.
The iconic developer behind Ape Escape, Gravity Rush and Knack has seen the vast majority of its development staff let go, the sources said, after their annual contracts were not renewed ahead of the company’s next business year, which begins April 1.

Localisation and business staff will remain in place and ASOBI Team – the group responsible for the Astro Bot games – will continue as a standalone studio within Sony Japan, it’s claimed.

Some Japan Studio staff will join ASOBI, we were told, while others have followed Silent Hill and Gravity Rush director Keiichiro Toyama – who left Japan Studio last year – to his new studio Bokeh.

It’s not entirely clear if the restructure has affected the studio’s External Development Department, which collaborated on games such as last year’s Demon’s Souls, but one person VGC spoke to suggested it would continue.

Sony Interactive Entertainment did not respond to a request for comment in time for publication.

Multiple Japan Studio developers have announced their departure from the company on social media in the last few days, including Bloodborne producer Masaaki Yamagiwa and video manager Ryo Sogabe – who are both leaving at the end of February – while a cryptic tweet from executive producer Masami Yamamoto also hints at his departure.

2月末でSIE JAPAN Studioを離れることになりました。これまでありがとうございました。次の場所でもゲーム制作を頑張ります。
I’m leaving Sony Interactive Entertainment at the end of this month. I’m going to continue working hard on creating games. Many thanks to everyone! pic.twitter.com/WPpiLpCtoY
— 山際眞晃 Masaaki Yamagiwa (@giwamasa) February 25, 2021
Last day as a resident of Shinagawa. It’s been real! pic.twitter.com/bYy9Upvxda
— Brendon Pritchard (@brendonbeyond) February 24, 2021
I have a information.
I will leave from SIE JAPAN Studio at the end of Feb.
Rather than working, I've been playing with PlayStation and videos for the past 14 years.
I will continue to play new challenges in the new company to bridge between game and video.
Thanks. #JAPANstudio
— Ryo Sogabe / SIE JAPAN Studio – Video Manager (@sogachin) February 24, 2021

This also follows several high profile staff at the studio leaving. At the end of 2020, the director of Silent Hill and the Gravity Rush series Keiichiro Toyama announced his departure to set up Bokeh Game Studio. He founded this new venture with fellow Sony Japan veterans Kazunobu Sato and Junya Okura.

Meanwhile, the producer of Bloodborne and the Demons Souls remake Teruyuki Toriyama said he was leaving SIE Japan at the end of 2020.

People with knowledge of the matter told VGC that Sony Japan Studio simply hasn’t been profitable enough in recent years; the developer wanted to create games that appealed to the Japanese market first with hopes of having global appeal, while PlayStation wants the kind of global hits that its other first-party studios produce.

One person VGC spoke to said that Japan Studio’s fate had been sealed over a year ago, following the departure of its long-time president Allan Becker, who was replaced by Astro Bot: Rescue Mission director Nicolas Doucet, allegedly due to frustration over the developer’s lack of hits.

Another source said that this was part of PlayStation shifting more power from its native Japan to its new US headquarters. Since the company moved its HQ to California in 2016, it has been centralising power there, leading to layoffs and restructuring in SIE’s regional offices.

VGC’s reporting corroborates a Bloomberg article from November of last year, which said that Sony Japan had been “sidelined” and its development teams had been cut.

PlayStation boss Jim Ryan has downplayed this narrative several times; in December, he claimed that Japan continued to be a hugely important market for Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Meanwhile, just earlier this week Famitsu published an interview with the exec in which he said he considered all of SIE’s studios to be important and that he continued to support Japanese game development for PS5.

Bloomberg’s earlier report claimed that, as of November last year, many Japan Studio creators had already been informed that they would not have their rolling contracts renewed.

PlayStation’s US office has held a critical view of the Japanese operation, the publication claimed, and believed that the PlayStation business didn’t need ‘games that only do well in Japan’.

Responding to the November Bloomberg report, Sony spokeswoman Natsumi Atarashi said at the time that “our home market remains of utmost importance” and claimed that any suggestion Sony was shifting its focus away from Japan was incorrect and “doesn’t reflect the company’s strategy”.

Speaking to VGC’s network partners at GamesIndustry.biz about PlayStation’s globalization efforts, SIE CEO Jim Ryan said we shouldn’t expect its Worldwide Studios to create games designed for specific territories going forwards.

“The nature of AAA PlayStation 4 and certainly PlayStation 5 development… We’re obviously not going to have Worldwide Studios make a game for one specific European country,” Ryan said at the time.

Sony Japan ‘has been sidelined’ from PlayStation 5’s launch, a new report claims

Development staff are said to have been reduced as PlayStation places importance on the US market
“And that might have been the case back in the PSP times with Invizimals [which was popular in Spain]. I think this will be where Shuhei Yoshida‘s new task [of working with indies] will come in. If we are nimble, flexible and global, we can work with smaller developers to allow those countries’ specific needs to be met.”

Japan Studio was founded back in 1993 and has created IP iconic PlayStation IP like Ape Escape, Patapon and Gravity Rush, in addition to assisting other developers such as FromSoftware, Bluepoint and Q-Games.

Japan Studio is Sony Interactive Entertainment‘s oldest first-party studio, with a focus on introducing new styles of gameplay.

The developer is known for games such Gravity Rush, Knack, LocoRoco and Ape Escape, as well as its collaborations on the likes of Bloodborne, The Last Guardian and Everybody’s Golf. It most recently worked on PS5’s Demon’s Souls with US studio Bluepoint.

SIE Japan Studio also housed Project Siren – aka Team Gravity – which had worked on the Siren and Gravity Rush series.

XMassAllYearRound

It's probably still Christmass somewhere
kiwifarms.net
RIP in pepperoni Japan Studio. Killed by Sony itself.

View attachment 1950000

"We’re really happy and proud of the PS Studios titles that have been released by Worldwide Studios"
“We have not been as excited about the engagement of the Japanese game development community as we are now for many years.”
Sony's CEO, literally 2 days ago.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
"We’re really happy and proud of the PS Studios titles that have been released by Worldwide Studios"
“We have not been as excited about the engagement of the Japanese game development community as we are now for many years.”
Because they're doing what they did with Psygnosis and closed the studio down and just to open a different one in it's place.

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
The first mistake was to ever trust Jim Ryan's words in the first place

Also the other Sony-related news of today:
Sony for BLM.png

shieeet.png

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
The Bloodborne producer will be making his own studio to work with the PS5 and the gravity rush dude has been putting out concept art for his survival horror game that's currently in development.

All these doomer/clickbait articles keep leaving that out or are putting it towards the bottom. Sony has external development studios for this very reason. All this does is move people around and consolidate areas, they did this for their european studios years ago and they were able to generate Horizon as a major IP from that.

Last edited:

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
What the fuck is "bold" about these cunts at Soyny going back to the Jack Thompson era, as if the tranny woke era wasn't shit enough.
Actually all the supposed censorship turned out to be par for the course of anything Shonen Jump related. The japanese devs have been doing the same thing since as far back as the PS2 and wii.

And a bunch of visual novel trophy lists went up for the PS5 so those don't seem to be taking a hit either.

basically,
chronotriggered.png

Seems that the people decrying sony seem to be made up of a small but vocal minority much like the tranny libtards themselves. Most of the people also seemed to be those who are wishing for Nintendo to have 90% market share again because they dropped monster hunter real quick after the PC port was announced. So it's basic console wars shit posting being at the root of it.....again.

That and clickbait merchants.

Last edited:

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
I'm late but, Sony confirmed Japan Studio isn't a thing anymore

press F for best studio.png

What the fuck is "bold" about these cunts at Soyny going back to the Jack Thompson era, as if the tranny woke era wasn't shit enough.
I would say the proper term would be downright "malicious" and on a greater scale than Jack Thompson, considering the guys at SIE are forcing their american rules on a foreign market and with the "Sony censorship tax" aimed against anything that isn't selling millions worldwide (DMC5 received an uncensor patch, only in NA, AFTER it broke the 2 million milestone for instance). This tells japanese small devs that they’re nothing but bugs to Sony unless they’re raking in the same numbers as Capcom and Square-Enix. Which is pretty bad because those smaller teams do carry the industry as a collective and fill an important niche in the release schedule within a console system.

I mean look at our resident Sony fanboy & shitposter desperately going full damage control for 2 years, claiming everything so far has been nothing more than a clickbait conspiracy. This should be enough to tell things only keep going bad for Sony when it comes on the topic of japanese videogames. He pretended a few months ago in this thread that Japan Studio had many unnamed projects in reserve for Sony and look at the situation now.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
Apologies if I've posted this rant before (the topic has come up a few times I forget which treads I've posted it in).

Horseshoe theory is the idea that, politically, the far-left and the far-right are closer to each other than the centre, like the ends of a horseshoe.

Anita Sarkeesian and Jack Thompson are, at first glace, completely different. Once you examine their ideas, you find they want the same thing (censorship of games) for the same reasons (to protect vulnerable people and society), by the same methods (government meddling and industry wide self censorship).

"Think of the children" becomes "think of the women", what was "problematic" is now "degenerate", different terms, same core idea. That all of the worlds problems would be fixed if it wasn't for those video games, and if some of the figureheads of the movement make some money in the meantime... Just don't mention it.

If I wasn't lazy, I'd make that space man meme.
Social Justice
"Wait, it was Jack Thompson era censorship?"
"Always has been."

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
Horseshoe theory is the idea that, politically, the far-left and the far-right are closer to each other than the centre, like the ends of a horseshoe.
One example of horseshoe theory in action was back in the 90's when antifa cells and skinheads groups found that they had something in common: they like violence and really hate jews. For a while they worked together to deface synagogues and jewish cemetaries.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
.This should be enough to tell things only keep going bad for Sony when it comes on the topic of japanese videogames. He pretended a few months ago in this thread that Japan Studio had many unnamed projects in reserve for Sony and look at the situation now.
Lol that's still true though, they're all probably VR based games though. Did you even read the article you posted? No projects were canceled.

When they downsized Guerilla Games it was around the same time they were going to put out Horizon Zero Dawn. They closed their Cambridge studio and took some employees and put them at the main headquarters.

Here's the Japanese sales figures for every Studio japan game ever

Jeanne D'Arc = 43k units in the 1st week
Demon's Souls PS3 = 39k units in the 1st week
Demon's Souls remake = 18k units in the 1st week
Puppeteer = 8k units in the 1st week
Astro Bot: Rescue Mission = 4k units in the 1st week
Patapon 1 = 16k units in the 1st week
Gravity Rush 1 = 43k units in the 1st week
Gravity Rush 2 = 74k units in the 1st week
The Last Guardian = 82k units in the 1st week
Shadow of the Colossus remake = 21k units in the 1st week
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines = 93k units in the 1st week
Soul Sacrifice = 92k units in the 1st week
Afrika = 38k units in the 1st week

for a recent comparison Ghosts of Tsushima pulled way more than anything put out by Japan Studio in japan. Ghosts pulled 212,915 copies sold within the first week.

Last edited:

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
Here's the Japanese sales figures for every Studio japan game ever

Jeanne D'Arc = 43k units in the 1st week
Demon's Souls PS3 = 39k units in the 1st week
Demon's Souls remake = 18k units in the 1st week
Puppeteer = 8k units in the 1st week
Astro Bot: Rescue Mission = 4k units in the 1st week
Patapon 1 = 16k units in the 1st week
Gravity Rush 1 = 43k units in the 1st week
Gravity Rush 2 = 74k units in the 1st week
The Last Guardian = 82k units in the 1st week
Shadow of the Colossus remake = 21k units in the 1st week
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines = 93k units in the 1st week
Soul Sacrifice = 92k units in the 1st week
Afrika = 38k units in the 1st week

for a recent comparison Ghosts of Tsushima pulled way more than anything put out by Japan Studio in japan. Ghosts pulled 212,915 copies sold within the first week.

I don't think this was the intention of your argument at all, but all of them are pretty good numbers in terms of japanese game sales, with the exception of Puppeteer and Astro Bot (coincidentally the sole Japan Studio games directed by westerners, Gavin Moore and Nicolas Doulet in respective order). +100K in a first release week is kind of uncommon, especially for new IPs.

This also doesn't justify why SIE has killed Japan Studio and "reorganized" it to make into Astro Bot's and this guy's bitch if those two were this unsuccessful in Japan.

Nicolas Doulet - Astro Bot.jpg

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I don't think this was the intention of your argument at all, but all of them are pretty good numbers in terms of japanese game sales, with the exception of Puppeteer and Astro Bot (coincidentally the sole Japan Studio games directed by westerners, Gavin Moore and Nicolas Doulet in respective order). +100K in a first release week is kind of uncommon, especially for new IPs.

This also doesn't justify why SIE has killed Japan Studio and "reorganized" it to make into Astro Bot's and this guy's bitch if they were this unsuccessful in Japan.

View attachment 1958413
You average them together you get around 35-40k which actually Nintendo has killed studios for less(i.e. the Mario and Luigi series developer). That and the smash roster is the Vietnam memorial to dead IPs at this point. This really isn't out of the ordinary for anything, Sega has done similar as well.

I'm generally indifferent towards astrobot personally. I'm all for more 3d platformers if that's what they're going to do though. Nintendo seems to only be wanting to release mario and zelda at console launches and God of War tackled the same genre that Zelda belongs to perfectly. But with them starting to promote Ratchet and Clank again, the rumors of a Jak game coming and a new Spyro, we might as well see the 3d platformer genre reach new heights which it hasn't since the n64 and original playstation.

Last edited:

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
You average them together you get around 35-40k which actually Nintendo has killed studios for less(i.e. the Mario and Luigi series developer). That and the smash roster is the Vietnam memorial to dead IPs at this point. This really isn't out of the ordinary for anything, Sega has done similar as well.

I'm generally indifferent towards astrobot personally. I'm all for more 3d platformers if that's what they're going to do though. Nintendo seems to only be wanting to release mario and zelda at console launches and God of War tackled the same genre that Zelda belongs to perfectly. But with them starting to promote Ratchet and Clank again, the rumors of a Jak game coming and a new Spyro, we might as well see the 3d platformer genre reach new heights which it hasn't since the n64 and original playstation.
Do the numbers for handheld games, those will explain Nintendo. Japan moved away from console/stationary.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Do the numbers for handheld games, those will explain Nintendo. Japan moved away from console/stationary.
Nintendo is a bit of a weird spot because they have properties like animal crossing and zelda which are almost exclusively bought by the west, but are somewhat ignored in japan.

Skyward sword's sales were something like an 80/20 split. I mean granted it was the victim of botting but most of those bots were from western resellers. Link's awakening remake had both europe and america buying it like from 5 to 1 ratio compared to Japan. The switch from portable to console and vice/versa made no difference in zelda's popularity in either situation. the series is almost entirely driven by western sales and they'll take either/or reguardles if it was a portable installment or a console where as the Japanese prefer mobile.

Last edited:

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net

which hardly matters, since a release like ghosts is few and far between. who's gonna carry the console inbetween the multi-million dollar AAA releases sony is focusing on? indies? multiplats? might as well buy an xbone at that point, least there I get a gamepass for cheap...

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
which hardly matters, since a release like ghosts is few and far between. who's gonna carry the console inbetween the multi-million dollar AAA releases sony is focusing on? indies? multiplats? might as well buy an xbone at that point, least there I get a gamepass for cheap...
In japan xbox is a non-entity. You wouldn't be paying for a gamepass you would be putting that money towards mobile phone games/gatcha. I was citing the Japanese numbers because Ghosts was something that did very well over there to the point where it broke company records for that region that stood since the first playstation.

There's many reports coming out that's showing Japanese kids who are pre-school age are now a profitable demographic. They're not even starting out playing real games anymore. IOS games with in app purchases and currency are now the default standard. What's now happening is that consoles are being picked up by Koreans and Chinese and those markets are growing.

Also this image upsets me
upsetting_image.jpg

Literally every aspect of gaming is being invaded and overtaken by gambling of some sort.

Also Sega apparently let a few major people go from their company yesterday. Many who have been with them since the Saturn.

Last edited: