Current issues with the market - Any ideas on avoiding the end?

Cool Dog

A goodboi denied his Wendy's
kiwifarms.net
Ironically this probably means investing in Companies in Africa may actually be the safest things right now as their capital and goods are located in countries with the least exposure to what is going on. Fruit plantations, gold and diamond mines and the like. Stuff with hard assets in countries that would actually benefit if the US Bond market imploded.
Never ever put money in countries where the local "government" is more than willing to seize your assets and investments if they increase in value, after all there's no institutional safety at all and you cant take them to court in their own country because they are the courts.

Thats why nobody invests in Argentina now, too many burned investors
if you want to actually make money with crypto the only way is through starting your own crypto project)
Would you say NFTs are part of that? making and selling them I mean
Is this your opinion on DeFi as well? I lend out my DAI at interest, and this largely insulates me from exposure to the price fluctuations of major cryptos.
How much interest you get for it? whats your insurance?
Monero is the only shit I endorse and recommend. Monero and Bitcoin are the only cryptocurrencies which are actually being used for what cryptocurrencies were invented to do, only Monero is much more resilient technologically while Bitcoin is already halfway there to becoming a completely cucked Bankcoin
I get your point but then why is monero so low? hasnt even broken the ATH from 2017, took a hard dive in early 2020 (sucks I didnt buy then tho)

As for gold and silver you mean physical right? or bonds?

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've decided to short the value of the US Dollar. Figure now is as good a time as any to buy a house on a couple of acres in the country. Yeah, property values are stupid high right now, but money is essentially free and if I am right about this time bomb in the bond market a 30 year fixed rate mortgage will be essentially worthless to the bank in the worst case scenario. I could pay off the loan for a pittance. If the worst does not happen well interest rates are retard levels of intelligence low so i still win. There is literally no way to lose buying property right now.

RussianParasite

Не ходи на выборы
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There is literally no way to lose buying property right now.
Property values could drop if more housing supply is made available (or consumer/investor tastes change) and you overpay for your property, but generally I think you are right.

That said, everyone 12+ years ago thought that there was no way they would lose money on property yet this is a huge part of what caused the GFC. I don’t think we are in that same situation, but wild shit happens sometimes. All investments run the risk of going tits up— some more than others.

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Property values could drop if more housing supply is made available (or consumer/investor tastes change) and you overpay for your property, but generally I think you are right.

That said, everyone 12+ years ago thought that there was no way they would lose money on property yet this is a huge part of what caused the GFC. I don’t think we are in that same situation, but wild shit happens sometimes. All investments run the risk of going tits up— some more than others.
Big issue with property in 2008 was the adjustable rate mortgages and mortgage backed securities, not property itself.

knobslobbin

King knobslob the pious
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've decided to short the value of the US Dollar. Figure now is as good a time as any to buy a house on a couple of acres in the country. Yeah, property values are stupid high right now, but money is essentially free and if I am right about this time bomb in the bond market a 30 year fixed rate mortgage will be essentially worthless to the bank in the worst case scenario. I could pay off the loan for a pittance. If the worst does not happen well interest rates are retard levels of intelligence low so i still win. There is literally no way to lose buying property right now.
This is an interesting article about why land might be terrible as a hedge against hyperinflation.

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is an interesting article about why land might be terrible as a hedge against hyperinflation.
Only in the sense of buying it with cash. In a hyperinflation scenario your cash (that you could have used to buy gold) is set on fire. You still own the property, but the property is for all intents, worthless. Nobody can buy it, and you cannot sell it. Your cash is gone.

If you buy it with DEBT however, prior to the inflationary spiral in a locked in fixed interest rate well, it's not your money set on fire. It's the banks.

knobslobbin

King knobslob the pious
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Only in the sense of buying it with cash. In a hyperinflation scenario your cash (that you could have used to buy gold) is set on fire. You still own the property, but the property is for all intents, worthless. Nobody can buy it, and you cannot sell it. Your cash is gone.

If you buy it with DEBT however, prior to the inflationary spiral in a locked in fixed interest rate well, it's not your money set on fire. It's the banks.
But the bank would repossess it after you choose to spend your meager income entirely that month on 1 cheeseburger. Or the state would take it over after democrats seize control forgoing the farce of another "election". I dunno seems to me nobody knows how it'll play out and there's no smart moves.

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But the bank would repossess it after you choose to spend your meager income entirely that month on 1 cheeseburger. Or the state would take it over after democrats seize control forgoing the farce of another "election". I dunno seems to me nobody knows how it'll play out and there's no smart moves.
The interest rate is fixed. No matter how worthless the dollar becomes you still are only on the hook for the required denomination. If the Fed starts issuing the dreaded 10,000 dollar notes you just need a few of those to pay off the loan. Grow some potatoes in your lawn or something. The people who will get the shaft are those leasing property or in adjustable rate loans

The property tax is a different kettle of fish all together but in that scenario I think the local county governments will have more to worry about then trying to move productive households off the land. If we go past the point where laws and contracts dont matter anymore then that is what guns are for. Hopefully and most likely, it won't reach that point.

*edit* and if you are really worried about property taxes, most municipalities allow for them to be paid in advance. In some areas you can pay two full years of it.

Last edited:

knobslobbin

King knobslob the pious
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The interest rate is fixed. No matter how worthless the dollar becomes you still are only on the hook for the required denomination. If the Fed starts issuing the dreaded 10,000 dollar notes you just need a few of those to pay off the loan. Grow some potatoes in your lawn or something. The people who will get the shaft are those leasing property or in adjustable rate loans

The property tax is a different kettle of fish all together but in that scenario I think the local county governments will have more to worry about then trying to move productive households off the land. If we go past the point where laws and contracts dont matter anymore then that is what guns are for. Hopefully and most likely, it won't reach that point.

*edit* and if you are really worried about property taxes, most municipalities allow for them to be paid in advance. In some areas you can pay two full years of it.
Income always lags behind inflation, often by *years*. So that $50 gallon of milk and $500 gallon of gas come out of your current paycheck that you're still trying to pay your fixed mortgage with. The article is saying you eventually choose to let the property go as you get desperate for the other items on your monthly budget.

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Income always lags behind inflation, often by *years*. So that $50 gallon of milk and $500 gallon of gas come out of your current paycheck that you're still trying to pay your fixed mortgage with. The article is saying you eventually choose to let the property go as you get desperate for the other items on your monthly budget.
Which is why you need assets along with everything else. Even if those assets are literally just a years supply of SPAM. So they are not wrong about needing gold. Just missing the forest for the trees. In a hyperinflation scenario, you can pay off the loan immediately with asset. Like 1 oz of gold. And then not have to worry about where to sleep tomorrow.

Utilities and the comforts of modern society are another thing all together, but the important thing is not to be in a situation where you are dependent on the governments good grace's or on the street. Which on that note is why I am aggressively seeking a house in the country with a well and septic system, located in a county run by people who are more likely to resist land enclosures then they are to clap like seals over the idea.

Last edited:

Cool Dog

kiwifarms.net
In such a situation you would simply get paid with another currency that isnt going through hyperinflation. The germans would get francs or pounds, here in argentina is the reason why all real estate prices are listed in dollars.

Still you would get paid half or maybe even less of what you bought it for, if we're talking full-scale crisis with a firesale going on

Sage In All Fields

πr8 of the $777Cs
kiwifarms.net
This isn't an 'everything bubble' it's a finance bubble, if you're not going 100% debt free and jumping headfirst into commodities (and I don't mean just buying precious metals) at this point idk what you're doing

why? in case of actual full scale economic collapse, nobody will be trading for crypto in the real world, they'll be bartering using consumer goods.
In the case of full scale economic collapse crypto will likely still find use for trading over the internet, or whatever's left of it.

Cool Dog

kiwifarms.net
This isn't an 'everything bubble' it's a finance bubble, if you're not going 100% debt free and jumping headfirst into commodities (and I don't mean just buying precious metals) at this point idk what you're doing

In the case of full scale economic collapse crypto will likely still find use for trading over the internet, or whatever's left of it.
What like buying futures in foodstuffs and industrial metals? a financial collapse would kill those two, see how copper got fucked during the 2008 crisis

Soybeans, another commodity that was on fire during the 2000s thanks to hungry chinks nosedived from 1600 to 800

If anything a crisis is the time to buy commodities, else you'll be in hodl mode for a while

Sage In All Fields

πr8 of the $777Cs
kiwifarms.net
What like buying futures in foodstuffs and industrial metals? a financial collapse would kill those two, see how copper got fucked during the 2008 crisis
Futures are still finance. I mean actually buy the metal and foodstuffs and most importantly the stuff people need to make their own.