"Current year" terms that piss you off

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
"Toxic Masculinity".
It's just another way to shit all over men for existing and it pretends that women can't be just as, if not more, toxic. The people that spout this shit have never seen a catfight involving one woman ripping out the other's fingernails because the latter made a snarky comment about what the former was wearing. They've never seen girls completely sabotage each other in the workplace or emotionally manipulate young vulnerable girls into having irrational expectations about how they should look and dress.

Everyone has the potential to be a shitty awful person with problems they need to sort out. But labeling it all on masculinity doesn't solve the problem and will more likely just piss people off than finding a solution.

While we're at it, "mansplaining". It's nothing short of nor any more substantial than a very sexist ad hominem attack.

Otis Boi

SpOOKY Cow man extraordinaire
kiwifarms.net
I don't have one particular word that i hate but i would have to say words that have been used to much to the point of uselessness or meaninglessness. Terms like "woke" ,"Satire","offensive" ,"Nazi" "toxic","gender" fuck even pronouns have just become become white noise to me i don't even regestar them being said anymore.

JambledUpWords

Stairs are my worst enemy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
  • “Internalized misogyny”. I was accused of this when I was talking to a guy from high school. He’s a feminist and he thought I was “setting women back”.
  • “Uncle Tom”. Mostly used by black supremacists on Twitter when a black person doesn’t follow the hive mentality. E.g. Ben Carson when he agreed to be part of Trump’s cabinet.
  • “Speciesism”. A term that was coined by vegans. It basically means that humans and animals are equal and therefore, shouldn’t say anything “demeaning” like “kill two birds with one stone” because all animals are innocent (according to some vegans)
  • “Cisgender”. It’s just a way of normalizing trans people. Not saying all trans people are bad, but this isn’t something that should be normalized.
  • “Non-binary”. You can’t be a tomboy anymore, being the tiniest bit androgynous these days means you are “non-binary” in current year. Ironically, the existence of this concept enforced stricter gender roles between male and female in order to figure out what non-binary means.
  • “Queer”. Used to mean odd, then it became a slur against gay people, now it means “anyone who vaguely falls under lgbtqiawxyz@)?”
  • “Authentic”. Not in the literal sense with food. I’m talking about those self-important celebrities, YouTubers, social media users that use this when trying to seem “relatable” and “real”. Oddly enough, the people that use this word a lot, and words similar, for themselves are probably the fakest, most insincere people around.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
“Speciesism”. A term that was coined by vegans. It basically means that humans and animals are equal and therefore, shouldn’t say anything “demeaning” like “kill two birds with one stone” because all animals are innocent (according to some vegans)

I can understand not wanted to eat animals for this reason but htf does a cow give a shit if you use an ancient figure of speech it can't understand anyway? Most animals require intensive training just to understand key commands, the only animal to learn a human language entirely on its own was an elephant and it only knew about five words.

“Authentic”. Not in the literal sense with food. I’m talking about those self-important celebrities, YouTubers, social media users that use this when trying to seem “relatable” and “real”. Oddly enough, the people that use this word a lot, and words similar, for themselves are probably the fakest, most insincere people around.

That's because we live in a world where celebrities are the only people held to a higher degree of constant nonstop scrutiny than the president and they can't afford to not constantly sell themselves to the general public.

queerape

Gorilla gorilla goes Gorillaz
kiwifarms.net
"current year"

For real.
I’m holding out for 2020 being the return to sanity when the term goes obsolete. Hopefully 2019 will see it die.

Partner is ok, I feel too old to be calling him a boyfriend even if we aren’t engaged or married yet.

But you know what I can’t stand? Referring to people as “bodies”, like “violence against black and brown or trans bodies” or whatever. Why do people even do this?

JambledUpWords

Stairs are my worst enemy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But you know what I can’t stand? Referring to people as “bodies”, like “violence against black and brown or trans bodies” or whatever. Why do people even do this?
It creates a bigger victim complex. Also, if the person is referring to themselves as “my body” rather than “myself”, it’s a way to eschew responsibility.

Kiwi Lime Pie

A tasteful treat for all seasons. 🥝🥧🐈
kiwifarms.net
Some I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Ableist - I've seen people so obsessed with wanting to avoid ableist conduct that they'd rather walk on eggshells and give themselves an ulcer worrying about every little thing they might not know about someone. If one treats others civilly and tries to remain respectful even upon learning the other party isn't 100% able-bodied, that should be the key thing, no?

POC - Having been involved as an IT consultant in the past, the first thing I think about when I see this initialism is "proof of concept" - a prototype showing that what the client wants can in fact be done. The SJW definition makes me shake my head; aren't we supposed supposed to avoid judging people by their color - or lack thereof - now?

Privilege - Whenever people bring up privilege in an argument, I interpret it as them saying, "I have no logical or emotional refutation to your point, so I'll just claim you have more of some mythical negative quality that makes you the worse person of the two of us."

Triggers - As I've seen discussed elsewhere on the 'Farms, mentions of triggers and trigger warnings make me think of items that could unknowingly disturb a victim of PTSD or other traumatic experience. To trivialize the concept as a list of stuff that merely makes someone uncomfortable is a huge disservice to those trying to cope with the aforementioned traumas.

Finally, another phrase that peeves me is, "It's not my job to educate you." I've seen this used unironically by a teacher in refusing to defend her opinion. wow :story:

Red Hood

Sidekick Lives Matter
kiwifarms.net
"Unpack". It's a common term with those with a liberal arts education that essentially means "I'm going to lecture you on all the things that are bad about this".

It's glorified bitching with a side of self importance.

LTO Data Cartridge

Increasingly exhausted
kiwifarms.net
ahhhhhhhhh.jpg

Everything on here fits in this thread