Cyberpunk 2077 -

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was a bit dismissive, but going against The System, usually as a member of the Underclass, is a foundational part of the genre. You're actively going against that if you're a hired gun for The Man. Doing that instead of using the tropes of the genre would require exceptional writing, and I don't think CDPR is up to that. They write amazing vignettes, like Chapter 4 in W1 and the wedding in Hearts of Stone, but I've never thought their overarching stories stood out. It's why I have a hard time going back to W2, with how little potatoes they serve up with the meat.
Much as one can argue playing as a cop would go against the punk in "cyberpunk," whose to say it wouldn't give one the opportunity to play as some bad guy that fights for the system or if one still wanted to have a "stick to the man" sort of thing for cyberpunk, you'd have the cop stuff act as a cover for the player if they wanted to fuck with the system in other ways besides being a hacker a with a gun. Act as a cop to the public but with whatever resources and access you got, you could try to find a way to fuck with the System somehow. Maybe something like divulging classified info to an anarchist hacker without attracting too much heat.

The Demon Pimp of Razgriz

Still Pimpin
kiwifarms.net
Much as one can argue playing as a cop would go against the punk in "cyberpunk," whose to say it wouldn't give one the opportunity to play as some bad guy that fights for the system or if one still wanted to have a "stick to the man" sort of thing for cyberpunk, you'd have the cop stuff act as a cover for the player if they wanted to fuck with the system in other ways besides being a hacker a with a gun. Act as a cop to the public but with whatever resources and access you got, you could try to find a way to fuck with the System somehow. Maybe something like divulging classified info to an anarchist hacker without attracting too much heat.
Sounds more like post-cyberpunk to me. Cyberpunk is about guys outside of, adjacent to, or actively fighting the system generally. Being the cops who are part of the system would be difficult in a cyberpunk system with the levels of surveillance those settings tend to have. Also, at that point, you might as well make a Ghost in the Shell game.

Edit:

In terms of censorship I think some of the more explicit nudity will be cut. The E3 Witcher 3 demo had full frontal during the sex scenes and some prostitute npcs in the brothel areas were fully nude or bottomless. None of that made it into the final product.

The violence will probably stay, violence especially in America is less taboo than nudity.

That infamous dick girl billboard that pissed of the Twitter troons is probably gone.
Actually, that Dick girl advert is still in the game, according to the most recent gameplay trailers they showed off

WinchesterPremium

Molṑn lolí
kiwifarms.net
Sounds more like post-cyberpunk to me. Cyberpunk is about guys outside of, adjacent to, or actively fighting the system generally. Being the cops who are part of the system would be difficult in a cyberpunk system with the levels of surveillance those settings tend to have. Also, at that point, you might as well make a Ghost in the Shell game.
Lol at "Cyberpunk can't be cops! Here is an example of some of the most famous cyberpunk stories that all have cops as protagonists! That somehow proves it doesn't work!" Ghost in the Shell, Dues Ex, Bladerunner, Robocop, Judge Dredd, Psychopass, its really easy to find cyberpunk and cyberpunk adjacent media that has law enforcement of some flavor as the protagonist.

The Demon Pimp of Razgriz

Still Pimpin
kiwifarms.net
Lol at "Cyberpunk can't be cops! Here is an example of some of the most famous cyberpunk stories that all have cops as protagonists! That somehow proves it doesn't work!" Ghost in the Shell, Dues Ex, Bladerunner, Robocop, Judge Dredd, Psychopass, its really easy to find cyberpunk and cyberpunk adjacent media that has law enforcement of some flavor as the protagonist.
Ghost in the shell is more post cyberpunk rather than straight cyberpunk (corporations don't control the government and both parties are not utterly corrupt, technology is portrayed much more neutrally, society isn't completely broken, etc.) and Psycho Pass can straddle the line between traditional Cyberpunk and post cyberpunk, leaning on the former only because of its focus on crime, though the society it posits is closer to the latter. Judge Dredd isn't really cyberpunk either, but more straight up science fiction.

Robocop is cyberpunk, though the whole point of that story was that Murphy (aka Robocop) was turned into a machine and largely stripped of free will, thus he couldn't really rebel against the system in any meaningful way till the third (and shittiest) movie. He could only work around it do his job as he recovered his humanity, typified by the end of the first movie where he couldn't deal with the main villain till the company that created Robocob (who the villain worked for) literally fired him. In a more free willing story like Cyberpunk 2077, it would be hard to play a role like that.

Deus Ex is probably the most straight Cyberpunk alongside Robocop and the best of the example given, though the whole storyline of Deus Ex is whether its world is going to move toward a dystopian cyberpunk hellscape, or toward a brighter more post cyberpunk future, and the player gets to choose how that would happen at the end of each game. The game is more about how a world might transition between the two more than anything.

Safir

ノークレーム・ノーリターン
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was a bit dismissive, but going against The System, usually as a member of the Underclass, is a foundational part of the genre. You're actively going against that if you're a hired gun for The Man.
You don't go against The System and fight it, you exist nominally outside The System and it doesn't give a shit. You attack one part of The System having been hired by another, to maintain plausible deniability, and when you're done your target doesn't go after you in revenge, because corporations are soulless and don't do revenge and it isn't profitable anymore.

A cyberpunk cop [not corporate security] is less the Man and more the last romantic, a remnant of a democratic society, and is no less a member of the underclass than the hacker; the difference is an unemployed hacker steals soylent from vending machines and a cop has a day job picking up suicide victims' body parts along the monorail. Then the hacker gets a gig or the cop finds an arm with a corporate exec's smartwatch, bam, you got a story out of it.

WinchesterPremium

Molṑn lolí
kiwifarms.net
Ghost in the shell is more post cyberpunk rather than straight cyberpunk (corporations don't control the government and both parties are not utterly corrupt, technology is portrayed much more neutrally, society isn't completely broken, etc.) and Psycho Pass can straddle the line between traditional Cyberpunk and post cyberpunk, leaning on the former only because of its focus on crime, though the society it posits is closer to the latter. Judge Dredd isn't really cyberpunk either, but more straight up science fiction.

Robocop is cyberpunk, though the whole point of that story was that Murphy (aka Robocop) was turned into a machine and largely stripped of free will, thus he couldn't really rebel against the system in any meaningful way till the third (and shittiest) movie. He could only work around it do his job as he recovered his humanity, typified by the end of the first movie where he couldn't deal with the main villain till the company that created Robocob (who the villain worked for) literally fired him. In a more free willing story like Cyberpunk 2077, it would be hard to play a role like that.

Deus Ex is probably the most straight Cyberpunk alongside Robocop and the best of the example given, though the whole storyline of Deus Ex is whether its world is going to move toward a dystopian cyberpunk hellscape, or toward a brighter more post cyberpunk future, and the player gets to choose how that would happen at the end of each game. The game is more about how a world might transition between the two more than anything.
For the sake of not deraling, lets just say your assessment of each example's cyberpunkyness is 100% correct. That still leaves 3.5 examples of cyberpunk cops in media popular enough that Normies know about most of them. How is that disproving that cops can be cyberpunk protagonists in any way? I'd be hard pressed to think of 4 examples of cyberpunk that don't have law-enforcement as protagonist and fit your criteria. If all these other stories can pull it off just fine why would 2077 be hog-tied?

Come to think of it, that description of Robocop would fit Bioshock pretty well. You could definitely make that concept work in something more linear.

Cubanodun

Metal Synthpop Hero
kiwifarms.net
Ghost in the shell is more post cyberpunk rather than straight cyberpunk (corporations don't control the government and both parties are not utterly corrupt, technology is portrayed much more neutrally, society isn't completely broken, etc.
Corporations have their own grip on the government mostly because they don't want them putting to much regulations in exchange they get the sweet new shiny military augments (SAC S01 iirc), the technology part is true but there are people that don't go full cyber for reasons (like Togusa) and is show that have augments is like having a pc or a smartphone, Society was mostly ok until SAC 2045 happened now it show people living with a worldwide economic collapse and never ending war

Robocop is cyberpunk,
I would not say cyberpunk but more "in the near future" kind of thing, there are barely cyborgs and Murphy is a special case, Cyberpunk rule number 1 is that everyone could get augments, the remake could count because they had mass produced mechs

Deus Ex is probably the most straight Cyberpunk
Yep but they don't put having augmentations like is something cool, thing that was expanded in Mankind Divided and certain people screeched about it

Slimy Time

Read 'em and weep
kiwifarms.net
Thing is though, having the option to play as a cop and do cop stuff in this setting would be interesting as fuck, especially since you would inevitably have some difficult choices to make even if you try to be as an honest and forthright of a cop as possible, since Cyberpunk 2077 is a dystopian setting where the rich and powerful can order the police to kill ordinary people if they so choose.

I get that there are some incredibly good reasons why this wasn't possible with this game, CDPR has enough on their plate already, but don't be so dismissive of a cyberpunk game where you play as a cop, it has the potential to be really fun and engaging if done well.
That would have been great idea. One of the starting clips I saw was you getting into a car, Jackie tries to carjack you, cops pull up and both of you are under arrest. Then big dick zaibatsu man walks up and goes "yeah, I don't want to get dragged into a legal case with these asshats because the crime happened in my building, slap some concrete shoes onto them and drop them in the ocean". Would be really interesting to be a cop that's either clean or dirty. Could still have you go on the other side by framing you for being too clean, or for botching a dirty act. All those underground or criminal elements could then react or have dialogue related to how clean/dirty you were as a cop. Hey, it's the cop who put our boss away, get him; Yo, this guy let us peddle our drugs, let him in; This cop vouched for my innocence, he's good; hey that cop planted shit on us, we aren't helping him etc.

CharlesFosterOffdensen

I'd rather die than go to heaven
kiwifarms.net
They had to cut wall climbing since they were too busy rendering pubic hair and genital designs by hand. :story:
Oh, and the spiderbot, and being able to paint your car.

I guess they were way too ambitious for this game and thought they could make Blade Runner cyberlife simulator in only 5 years.
If the troon shit is ignorable and bypassable like it was in BattleTech, the game will be ok. If the introduction of every character includes their preferred pronoun stupidity and things of that nature, I will never purchase another CDPR product.
Idk, feels like CD is pretty based, at least for the most part. Nothing they've done so far has bothered me, but I know this game will be on-the-nose political.

The_MmmBop_Gang

kiwifarms.net
I'm fairly sure that the woman responsible for the dick girl energy drink in-game advertisement was a danger haired non binary thingamajig, so CDPR definitely has the same elements in their ranks as the likes of, say, Bioware. They may just be able to keep a lid on their employees better and keep them from acting out like spergs, either IRL or with the stuff they put in their game. That remains to be seen with CP2077 but Witcher 3 didnt have any of it as far as I recall.

I also think theyre better at diffusing the bullshit that arises on social media. Like once they trotted out the artist and she gave her explanation of the ad, it shut all the whiners up. Kinda pointless to rail against a fake ad being bigotry when the person who made it is a member of the tribe, who basically made the thing for the same reasons the mob would support.

Cubanodun

Metal Synthpop Hero
kiwifarms.net
They had to cut wall climbing since they were too busy rendering pubic hair and genital designs by hand. :story:
Oh, and the spiderbot, and being able to paint your car.

I guess they were way too ambitious for this game and thought they could make Blade Runner cyberlife simulator in only 5 years.
The spiderbot i could see why, is because they dont want to repeat the Watch dog 2 effect, you see in that game the drone and the RC Car are wayyyy to op, also it remove the need for stealth gameplay when you can easily do recon with it and know where the enemy is

Painting the car is going to come in a patch or in a DLC, or if the nerds feel motivated a Mod so they can put their anime meymeys in their car

Dumpster dived waifu

Sieg heil mein waifu
kiwifarms.net
Painting the car is going to come in a patch or in a DLC, or if the nerds feel motivated a Mod so they can put their anime meymeys in their car
Why drive a regular car when I can drive one with my waifu plastered all over it with neon pink highlights so everyone I pass knows I'm a fucking degenerate that's wishes he can fuck a cartoon?

Tags
None