Cyberpunk 2077 -

Dreamer

Cube Snek
kiwifarms.net
Eh, flavor matters. Otherwise you're gonna end up with a ...
They delayed the game 2 times but don't forget about corona-chan ruining everybody's good time at the same time. Hollywood has rolled back every release they could because they fear shit sales and i bet production of movies isn't going so great either.
They're actually showing a lot if stuff RN you just have to actually give a shit to see it, i don't think there ever was another game with so much info and footage on it before release actually.

Honestly i kinda lost my drive to reply after you said "soul" so the rest is going to be brief.
- the last stage of any project is removing shit that doesn't work and not adding more.
- MC is a quiplord because cyberpunk is all about trying to be cool.
- they aren't woke, that's your conformation bias again.
- people working on mass effect probably didn't intentionally make a turd and they sure as shit weren't hired just on looks. there are not that many of them in the studio either.
- you're extremely jaded and while i don't blame you, i think you're wrong this time.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
I'm with @Dreamer on this (mostly). It's not unusual for stuff to be cut or changed throughout game development. Look at all the stuff cut from Half-Life 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, and people love those games. As long as it's not a lie like Watchdogs and Dark Souls 2, or massive mis-management like Destiny, it should be fine. Likewise, I'm fine with abilities being cut if they're never really used in the game. I know people love Deus Ex, but most of the powers in that game were some variant of opening a door. Punching through a wall, jumping a fence, moving a fridge, they are rarely used for anything other than getting access to area you had other means of accessing.

I'm more concerned by on the rails shooting sections.

I think the "why" for a lot of the bait is hatred from console peasants and game journos.

On the game journo side, I haven't seen any hit pieces against the game since the woke world tour started. Part of that could be because I haven't been looking, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's because CDPR has bent the knee, especially if they have ex-ME:A employees.

Console fanboys are weird though. Most of what they do makes little sense to me, so them wanting the game to fail is not really any different.

Dreamer

Cube Snek
kiwifarms.net
On the game journo side, I haven't seen any hit pieces against the game since the woke world tour started. Part of that could be because I haven't been looking, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's because CDPR has bent the knee, especially if they have ex-ME:A employees.
They said they wont modify their games based on politics recently, including but not limited to BLM.
Surprisingly they dindt catch any shit for it, probably because bloggers are more concerned about"reporting"onthe real world right now.

SiccDicc

The Defenestrator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They delayed the game 2 times but don't forget about corona-chan ruining everybody's good time at the same time. Hollywood has rolled back every release they could because they fear shit sales and i bet production of movies isn't going so great either.
They're actually showing a lot if stuff RN you just have to actually give a shit to see it, i don't think there ever was another game with so much info and footage on it before release actually.
I can understand Corona, I've also watched those 40 minute vids of gameplay. I haven't come across much else recently. Not really seeing anything spectacular for the time developed. I felt the same way about FFXV and MGS5 to be honest.
Honestly i kinda lost my drive to reply after you said "soul" so the rest is going to be brief.
It's hard to explain, I admit. Usually you can play two games about roughly the same plot, but one is usually conveyed better and delivered well. Not saying they're the same plot, but! From New Vegas to Outer Worlds you can notice a serious decline in narrative quality and the latter the characters feel flatter -- despite the former being infamous like Oblivion for using the same VA over and over. Plus they had lead designer of WildStar for Outer Worlds. This industry rewards failure.
- they aren't woke, that's your conformation bias again.
I didn't say they were woke. I said they were doing a parade. Of interviews. They were bragging about their diversity initiatives, etc. That doesn't mean they're woke, but it does set off a flag to me. It could be coincidence.
- you're extremely jaded and while i don't blame you, i think you're wrong this time.
I'd like to be wrong is the thing. If I didn't care I'd probably not be here explaining my points. As best as I can anyways.

Dreamer

Cube Snek
kiwifarms.net
The progress is there, here's a comparison of 2018 to 2020.
esrgdthfy.jpg

There was also a shitton of new lore, i posted the book above.
They're not showing too much stuff because they don't want to spoil the entire game before release, i don't think anybody would want that.
I know what you mean by "soul" its just that every time i see an argument with that word i want to neck myself.
The woke articles are mostly just bloggers running off of 1 answer in an interview from what i saw, i'm really disgusted with the free press recently, i almost cant resist putting them in quotes every time.

Reactions: SiccDicc

SiccDicc

The Defenestrator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know what you mean by "soul" its just that every time i see an argument with that word i want to neck myself.
I can't think of any other term for it. I feel like games of a genre would be the exact same otherwise, ya know? Passion itself doesn't really lend to quality given how many passionate failures there are out there. Some times something clicks and sparks.

As for everything else, yeah. If it's the free press fucking around I can see why I'm cynical. Especially given how tightlipped CDPR has been. I don't think they'll go woke with the present founder who grew up under communism and values diverse opinions, but he doesn't inspire total confidence either. I'm still disappointed in default FemV's appearance change and the lack of gender, but if that made it easier to attach pingas onto lady I can see the change.

SiccDicc

The Defenestrator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Easy, its "cohesion". This and using photos as textures, every game i saw described as "soul" uses filtered photo textures lol.
Eh, I don't think there's a game I'd call soulful with photo textures. And a game can come together but still be mediocre.

I dunno, might just be my more romantic side.

Dreamer

Cube Snek
kiwifarms.net
Eh, I don't think there's a game I'd call soulful with photo textures. And a game can come together but still be mediocre.
Gimmie a couple of games you consider to be soulful then.
For me its: Stalker, Cradle, DarkSouls, FEAR, Fallout, Flatout2, and Half-Life2
Probably all of those use that in some way.

blablabla

kiwifarms.net
What feature would you actually miss?
Lets be honest, everything "cut" is either extremely unnecessary fluff (apartments, honestly who cares), small (wall running) or it was never there in the first place (dual wielding).
From what i heard the devs are not afraid to cut stuff that doesn't mesh well with the game.
So while they are describing their creative process to journos, and they go and say "this and that was REMOVED" and get lots of clicks on their blogpost article.
The reason why people are loosing confidence is because they read headlines from desperate bloggers who write entire articles based on a single tweet.
And they don't even bother to check if the headline is real or not.

tl;dr - its conformation bias.
gta 3 has car customization and saints row 2 has appartment customization. there is no excuse for removing those things in a AAA game in development since fucking 2013 and with two delays.

SiccDicc

The Defenestrator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Gimmie a couple of games you consider to be soulful then.
For me its: Stalker, Cradle, DarkSouls, FEAR, Fallout, Flatout2, and Half-Life2
Probably all of those use that in some way.
Maybe I misunderstood what photo textures are, but I usually don't use looks for soulful qualities.

I'd say Red Dead Redemption had soul. Saints Row 2 had soul. Dark Souls I'd agree had soul. Yakuza 1 and 2. Kingdom of Amalur, albeit malnourished. Fable 2. Monster Hunter. Way of the Samurai. Hell even Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed.

It might be a placebo effect, but it's generally something I regard as a game being its own. I suppose. Hard to properly explain, it's not just something that resonates. It's something that makes a game feel alive to me. Like I said, I'm probably just being romantic.

Reactions: Dreamer

Aquinas

https://i.imgur.com/l3EkPBg.png
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yea, a tabletop RPG Cyberpunk 2020 had classes.
A video game RPG Cyberpunk 2077 does not, if you want more of 2020 then just wait for Cyberpunk RED.
Recreating a tabletop experience in a video game 1 to 1 is literally impossible so why would you even try. Its better to just do like Fallout and let you choose
I'm going to come to your house, and im going to shit into your computer

Ginger Piglet

Burglar of Jess Phillips MP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There will be hit pieces when it comes out. Because all the work from before they started to bend the knee is still there because it's too late to dump it, and because the Chromanticore advert, the ability to customise genitals and hopefully get the Mr Stud or Midnight Lady sex augs (and imagine the reeeeing that there will be if you are rejected at the last minute by a love interest because they don't fancy chicks with dicks / men with fannies), the mostly black gang called Animals, the Voodoo Boys gang who basically culturally appropriated Haitian Voodoo, the fact that you can probably totally side with the corporations to achieve objectives, and this is bad because capitalism bad (though arguably the corporatocracy of Arasaka / Militech / EBM / Kang Tao is more a result of crony capitalism and arguably shows that a libertarian paradise will always destroy itself.)

Also, let's be fair. You don't say they cut everything out when a 170 page art book has made its way to the internets which shows that they both respected the fluff of the original tabletop game and expanded upon it quite heavily.

Male Idiot

Loli Hitler
kiwifarms.net
They could be just marketing to the less woke but more perverted audiences that want their hentai chicks with dicks and rake in that sweet asian currency.

But since you play cyborgs, I wonder if there are red robes as a clothing option and giant axes!

Iodised Ant

Gacha nigger
kiwifarms.net
Isn't the whole premise of cyberpunk libshit? Also VR is garbage autismo cancer for anything other than the pinch and squeeze gallery modes in a anime tiddy game.
I don't get that either. Nobody is trying to undermine Starfield or TES6 just because they've supposedly been in production since forever.
Yeah but those games were announced like 2 years ago, cyberpunk was announced almost 10 years ago, and it feels more like 12 for me to be honest.

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I still plan on buying it day one but rapidly cutting planned features a few months before release especially after a significant delay is a really really bad sign.

• Feels
Reactions: Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
gta 3 has car customization and saints row 2 has appartment customization. there is no excuse for removing those things in a AAA game in development since fucking 2013 and with two delays.
The apartment customisation in SR2 was pointless, since you only go inside to save.

Isn't the whole premise of cyberpunk libshit?
Depends how you define libshit.

Themes like mega-corporations supplanting the government, corporations are evil, or technology widening the gap between the haves and the have-nots were libshit. These days, not so much.

In real life, far-left says they are against mega corporations, but worship at the alter of Apple, Google, and FaceBook. They claim to be anti-police, but run to authorities whenever anyone interrupts their little revolutionary larp.

There's a reason ResetEra and the games press hate the game. As said previously in the thread, the far-left has this bizarre idea that cyberpunk is a trangender utopia where you change genders on a whim while sticking it to the man, man.

It is possible to get too caught up in minutia of what is and isn't "real cyberpunk", so I'm not going to say they're completely wrong, but that's not why I like cyberpunk settings.

Tags
None