Cybersecurity 101 -

Leonard Helplessness

kiwifarms.net
- DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT send any Word documents especially if your name is in the author field. Converting to .odt should solve this problem.
I’ve been using Excel for some analytics I’ve been doing on Twitter scrapes, and I noticed that Excel likes to expose personal information in Excel files’ metadata. Windows has an button to strip metadata in the Properties window of a file, but doing this to an Excel file tends to break it. Excel has some shit buried deep in its settings (that you have to enable for each fucking file) that lets you strip metadata and prevent it from being saved onto the file again, but is there a way to confirm a file doesn’t still expose personal details after that?

Kosher Salt

(((NaCl)))
kiwifarms.net
I’ve been using Excel for some analytics I’ve been doing on Twitter scrapes, and I noticed that Excel likes to expose personal information in Excel files’ metadata. Windows has an button to strip metadata in the Properties window of a file, but doing this to an Excel file tends to break it. Excel has some shit buried deep in its settings (that you have to enable for each fucking file) that lets you strip metadata and prevent it from being saved onto the file again, but is there a way to confirm a file doesn’t still expose personal details after that?
Saving as .csv will discard any formulas/formatting, but it'd definitely eliminate the possibility of there being any metadata in there.

TheMagician

Just lost The Game
kiwifarms.net
If you ever tell a personal anecdote (for example, in threads like "Share Your School Stories" or "Retail Horror Stories"), don't share the same anecdote on a different site, especially not if it has a unique word/phrase/name that's easily searchable.

Condicional

Mostaccioli
kiwifarms.net
By the way, about Discord, be careful with who you talk to because they can copy your User ID without permission, if you want to start anew or hide, don't try to change your Discord tag, just make a new account.
People can just copy your user ID if they enable developer mode and search it in discord.id to get your actual name and tag. Developer mode is literally one click.
If you're not sure, then just try it with another user, even if they change nick, avatar, or tag, it will always reflect back your actual info because your ID doesn't change.

stacks

brb smashing up local tescos
kiwifarms.net
iirc modern variants of ken thompson's compiler backdoor could be on every chip on every modern device and it would be next to impossible to find without an electron microscope, so you are fucked either way

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Condicional

Condicional

Mostaccioli
kiwifarms.net
Throwing in another advertisement for this one. It's a good price and does its job quietly and conveniently.
I would truly like to know which ones are confirmed to log ips.
I used TunnelBear VPN with its free MB, but not as an active VPN for everyday, but I'm not sure of how safe is to use it.

Fiveish

kiwifarms.net
I would truly like to know which ones are confirmed to log ips.
I used TunnelBear VPN with its free MB, but not as an active VPN for everyday, but I'm not sure of how safe is to use it.
" TunnelBear does not collect traffic logs or monitor any user activity. It does collect some data, including your OS, whether or not you’ve been active this month, and the total amount data used within a month. However, “TunnelBear does NOT store users originating IP addresses when connected to our service and thus cannot identify users when provided IP addresses of our servers.” "

List of VPNs confirmed to log IPs
Banana VPN
Buffered
F-Secure Freedome
Faceless.Me
FlowVPN
FlyVPN
FreedomIP
HideMyAss
Hola
IdentityCloaker
Iron Socket