Careercow Dan Harmon - Creator of Community, co-creator of Rick and Morty, and barely functional alcoholic

• We are being DDoS attacked still and 12,000 people are reading about incest. Expect weird errors. Most should go away by refreshing.

Dom Cruise

Happy summer, everybody!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is this the end of Adult Swim?

And the question is, should it be?

I have mixed thoughts, I will forever be grateful for having Adult Swim during my teens but the whole thing seems pretty past its prime by now, things have changed a lot and cable as a whole seems like such an antiquated concept.

On the other hand maybe it could live on as a streaming service or something.

BrunoMattei

No I am not the Cinema Snob
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And the question is, should it be?

I have mixed thoughts, I will forever be grateful for having Adult Swim during my teens but the whole thing seems pretty past its prime by now, things have changed a lot and cable as a whole seems like such an antiquated concept.

On the other hand maybe it could live on as a streaming service or something.

I'm sure it'll continue in some way. The name Adult Swim itself has value. In what way is anyone's guess.

vertexwindi

That's for employing me for eight years!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I do specify TV because Adult Swim has a surprisingly strong internet presence compared to most TV programs and, if Turner broadcasting were smart, rebooting the brand as an "adult" only online alternative/subscription service would probably bring a moderate success out of their TV death.
Yeah, I think AS has enough quality content for that to be a decent success. Hell, now that Lazzo is gone we might even get some more Orel or Metalocalypse.

A man can dream.

TravelPussy

An ubertard
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 296689
Way to go, doofus. You managed to score a cute redhead while looking like someone Chris Hansen would ask to have a seat, and then you lost her by being a self-important alcoholic jackass.
This is old, but I couldn't help but think its comparable to purchasing a Porche Boxter and neglecting the most basic maintainance tasks until it blows up. Did he end up with the other lady he was rumoured to be courting?

If Turner broadcasting were smart, rebooting the brand as an "adult" only online alternative/subscription service would probably bring a moderate success out of their TV death. It could be a good way to boost Hulu subscriptions due to there not being many subscription service shows that go anywhere near the places many Adult Swims shows went/go.

I was thinking something similar, but instead, maybe Warner Brothers creates a stand alone Adult Swim streaming service and focuses on more adult oriented content not allowed on traditional cable networks. A mix of distributed and original content with a decent amount of shorts. It seems like Adult Swims core demographic has aged. Make the content relevent.

Dom Cruise

Happy summer, everybody!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was thinking something similar, but instead, maybe Warner Brothers creates a stand alone Adult Swim streaming service and focuses on more adult oriented content not allowed on traditional cable networks. A mix of distributed and original content with a decent amount of shorts. It seems like Adult Swims core demographic has aged. Make the content relevent.

An Adult Swim that could go no holds barred content wise might be just the shot in the arm it needs.

Disgruntled Pupper

Thuuder only happens wlen its raisinl
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't understand what CN thinks can replace Adult Swim that will be more profitable. If I'm not mistaken, Adult Swim came about because kids go to bed at 7-8 in the evening and thus viewership drops dramatically. They realised they could slightly mitigate that by playing weird, off-beat adult cartoons and anime to teenagers and college kids who would still be awake. As far as I'm aware that basic dilemma hasn't changed, and they're going to see even bigger drops in viewership if they try to just play even more reruns of SU and teen titans go.

Parthenos

Why hast thou let me see this, Lucifer?
kiwifarms.net
Eh, with this network I think it'd be vulgarity over substance.

If I get to see more stuff like Primal I'm willing to take that chance. Speaking of which, I really hope Adult Swim doesn't shutter before the second half of the season comes out, I don't want another show that was too good to last.

Rekkington

Obama chuckled. "You mean the chaos emeralds?"
kiwifarms.net
Pretty sure Dino isn't even jewish. He's greek. Quit sperging.

I wasn't talking about him specifically, why is everyone defending this gay show so much? Yeah I know, he decided to make it as a satire of, in his words,Leave it to Beaver style sitcoms. Also known as "every single sitcom made after 1963." People have been doing that forever, people are talking like the movie Pleasantville is some great subversive thing. No, it's hack, and they always hit the exact same notes. And the only thing people apparently cling to is "it pisses people off," while at the same time saying it's not gay and edgy like Mr. Pickles (90% the same premise.)

And before some mod spazzes out, this is actually directly related to Dan Harmon's output as everything he does is a satire of something nobody cares about satirizing, so he is perpetually stuck somewhere between parody and tribute while accomplishing neither. Dan and Dino are precisely in the same zone as JJ Abrams and the rest of the Gen X nerds who are just playing dress-up with things they remember as kids. They do TV versions of shitty Banksy art, where he does a stencil of the Queen with a grenade for a head and a smiley face on that grenade, and some dumb manifesto scrawled out beneath it.

Rice Is Ready

Mmmm, red velvet
kiwifarms.net
I wasn't talking about him specifically, why is everyone defending this gay show so much? Yeah I know, he decided to make it as a satire of, in his words,Leave it to Beaver style sitcoms. Also known as "every single sitcom made after 1963." People have been doing that forever, people are talking like the movie Pleasantville is some great subversive thing. No, it's hack, and they always hit the exact same notes. And the only thing people apparently cling to is "it pisses people off," while at the same time saying it's not gay and edgy like Mr. Pickles (90% the same premise.)

And before some mod spazzes out, this is actually directly related to Dan Harmon's output as everything he does is a satire of something nobody cares about satirizing, so he is perpetually stuck somewhere between parody and tribute while accomplishing neither. Dan and Dino are precisely in the same zone as JJ Abrams and the rest of the Gen X nerds who are just playing dress-up with things they remember as kids. They do TV versions of shitty Banksy art, where he does a stencil of the Queen with a grenade for a head and a smiley face on that grenade, and some dumb manifesto scrawled out beneath it.

You're just not smart enough to understand muh deep edgey adult swim cartoons.

Peep Plops

kiwifarms.net
Dan and Dino are precisely in the same zone as JJ Abrams and the rest of the Gen X nerds who are just playing dress-up with things they remember as kids. They do TV versions of shitty Banksy art, where he does a stencil of the Queen with a grenade for a head and a smiley face on that grenade, and some dumb manifesto scrawled out beneath it.

It's that thing David Foster Wallace talked about, how irony and post-modernist writing is forever doomed to repeat and remix things that have come before and the problem therein lies with never creating anything new, only recycling and regurgitating old shit with added bile.

That being said Moral Orel is still attempting to tell a story and the 50's suburbia setting is just a jumping off point and the show doesn't try to go just for edge but at least to me has something to say about the human condition, unlike Rick and Morty which is content in wallowing in the excrement of popular culture while making guttural noises and claiming those as satire.

Water-T

I'M A SEXY 14 YEAR OLD BRATZ DOLL WITH PLUMP LIPS!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That being said Moral Orel is still attempting to tell a story and the 50's suburbia setting is just a jumping off point and the show doesn't try to go just for edge but at least to me has something to say about the human condition

Exactly. Despite how it sounds, it's not edgy for the sake of being edgy. It echos the lives and problems of people living in a time and place where they were terribly damaged mentally, emotionally, sexually, and spiritually by extremely strict religion. Having grown up in a severely religious household, the show does exaggerate at times but still rings true.

Peep Plops

kiwifarms.net
Exactly. Despite how it sounds, it's not edgy for the sake of being edgy. It echos the lives and problems of people living in a time and place where they were terribly damaged mentally, emotionally, sexually, and spiritually by extremely strict religion. Having grown up in a severely religious household, the show does exaggerate at times but still rings true.

And of course it's an exaggerated hyper-reality, this style has been used countless times to amplify certain things in order to draw attention to the message of the piece. I mean the town in the show is literally in the exact middle of America with the church smack-dab in the middle of the town. Anyone who disregards the show as nothing more than edgy for its own sake is doing the show a disservice.

Peep Plops

kiwifarms.net
God I hope so

They deserve it after cancelling MDE to appease fucking buzzfeed writers, besides they haven't put out anything good since aside from the occasional venture bros season once every five years.

Damn Venture Bros. is so fucking good. It's the show Rick and Morty wishes it was instead of the rapidly declining shit-show that it actually is.