Danganronpa Fandom - More piss than expected

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

CactusDsv

It'll quench ya!
kiwifarms.net
Fanganfaggotry
Archive of the front page

Thank you for bringing this up :story: I know first-hand that Danganronpa fanfiction/fan games can be their own pile of unadulterated autism, but man - It should be a red flag when the creator of a fangame says that they're better than Kodaka/Spike Chunsoft when they can't create for shit. The thread could anyway use some more content on the Fanganronpa side.

Wanted to check it out myself along because this just reeks of tumblrisms, which I guess shoudn't be surprising since it was originally posted on Tumblr.

So this is our protagonist for this highway to hell. Timaeus Woodworth. Of course, they had to indicate his talent through him holding actual books instead of subtle design hints. Surely the other characters (not the ones already posted above) have better designs, right?
1628422498343.png

Oof. Off to a much worse start than we thought! The two on the left are crimes against character design. Especially the pink motherfucker. Though, the blond guy and the redhead lass on the right look semi-decent at least.
1628422524286.png

Let's talk to the dino dude first.
1628422984100.png

And he's a paleontologist! Neat talent, the shirt seems to fit I guess, if only he didn't look like...this. Jesus fucking christ.
1628422652736.png

...Except he doesn't actually study fossils?
1628422661680.png

I did a short detour and looked up the study of fossil plants. If you wanted to be technical, he'd be a paleobotanist. Pretty specific, but Danganronpa has really specific talents (I mean...the Ultimate Yoyo-er is a canon talent.)
1628423072003.png

There really isn't much else to say on Kapono, so let's move on to the ogre.
1628422984102.png

No words. You can't convince me this is supposed to be a girl with the already mentioned stubble and horrible design in genera.
1628423210694.png

If I didn't know any better I'd say he'd belong right in the reddit tranny circles with how he behaves.
1628423274181.png

1628423394649.png

Now the blondie.
1628422984103.png

Oh look! It's Kazuichi and Bill Cipher's lovechild! Not the worst, though it's not saying much considering the designs we're talking about.
1628423677393.png

If it weren't for the fact he's just a blonde fashionista Kazuichi I probably would've liked him more. He even has the shark grin.
1628423836025.png

Talent name doesn't make sense, though we're talking about a franchise that has talents like the Ultimate Lucky Student or Ultimate Yakuza, so I guess it doesn't matter.
1628423854724.png

1628423959968.png

I'll just leave it to the person I've been checking this out with…
1628424063893.png

Last character!
1628422984104.png

Not bad, she doesn't look like a pathologist, more like a skater with those shades (though it might just be me). But eh, whatever.
1628424119604.png

>They
Oh, fuck it's a genderspecial.
1628424187515.png

So the garment under her sweater isn't an undershirt but a binder. Because of course it is. Really predictable.
1628424268652.png

The dialogue is so fucking bad so I'll just sum this part up. Aoi wonders if Timaeus's name is a name he's given himself and he's like "no it's a fine name" and then Aoi asks if it's from a text by Timaeus and he goes "woah, no one ever gets that!". Boring.
1628424342099.png

The last action available before the next real page is checking out the lobby.

1628424536657.png

1628424558266.png

I'm gonna end it right here. The next four characters (we haven't got far before having to call it quit's because of how boring it was) are just as bad as these. Might do another of these if I'm feeling it.

Gonna end it here with mentioning how the creator is 27 years old according to her Mastodon.
1628424716635.png

Pretty embarassing, though this isn't the first adult I've seen who has sperged about fangans and claiming to be better than Spike Chunsoft.

Other links
Mastodon | Twitter | Toyhou.se | Tumblr

Tism the Return

( ^ U ^ )
kiwifarms.net
So, I just found this Danganronpa fanfic and it's... something.

First of all, this is the cast:

View attachment 2424627

With this art style it might as well be Danganronpa: Steven Universe Edition. It's so GODDAMN ugly.

Here are a few of the characters. I won't be touching on the story or "original" soundtrack because I think just showing some of the characters gives you an idea what kind of quality to expect.

View attachment 2424633

(The dialogue is just so bad :story: )
View attachment 2424638

Why yes he does throw random German in his sentences like an out of date cartoon character.
Also, less than 1% of people are of African descent in Germany but you already know why this decision was made.

View attachment 2424641

Doesn't have an Ultimate, literally just there to be a token muslim character. :story:
She's also a lesbian because of course she is.

View attachment 2424646

This one's my favorite because HE'S ALMOST 7 FEET TALL

View attachment 2424648

WITH STUBBLE DRAWN ON

Bonus mention: the he/they/it antagonist of this fanfic!
View attachment 2424650

This look familiar to anyone else? 🤔

To top it all off, here's a footnote that's visible on all of the webpages.
View attachment 2424651
spike chunsoft, hire me to kill your franchise

I hope this little post entertained you as finding out this shit existed did. I think Steven Universe ruined a whole generation of artists, tbh.

"I'd write you a better game" nigga if you could write for shit you woudln't be making the ugliest Tumblrronpa fanfic and doing it for free.

dorkbeast

It's electric!
kiwifarms.net
Their Danganronpa collab shirts cost around 3,190円 to 5,390円 when I checked, and using the magic of international money converters, it's basically 36.29 to 61.32 in shitty Canadian bucks. I could be wrong though so feel free to correct me.
They are a bit more than most tees but in my experience LF has genuinely good quality. The fabric is always really nice and thick.

Compositesludge

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2424651

I hope this little post entertained you as finding out this shit existed did. I think Steven Universe ruined a whole generation of artists, tbh.

This is my biggest problem with all of it. Writing a diverse cast of characters, practicing character designs, and all that stuff is all well and good for fanfiction! Expectations are low, you don't have to worry about being dropped by a publisher because you're doing it for free, and you can freely edit and modify things while soliciting feedback from whatever audience you attract. Saying that they can do better than Spike Chunsoft is egotistical to the point of self-delusion, and that thinking is sadly permeating every facet of this bizarre project. If amelia finds this, please understand that you wouldn't be making this if they weren't good at their jobs.

Kiryu DIO

Be exceptional, do drugs and shit, praise DIO
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 2424627

With this art style it might as well be Danganronpa: Steven Universe Edition. It's so GODDAMN ugly.

Here are a few of the characters. I won't be touching on the story or "original" soundtrack because I think just showing some of the characters gives you an idea what kind of quality to expect.

View attachment 2424633

View attachment 2424638

Why yes he does throw random German in his sentences like an out of date cartoon character.
Also, less than 1% of people are of African descent in Germany but you already know why this decision was made.

View attachment 2424641

Doesn't have an Ultimate, literally just there to be a token muslim character. :story:

View attachment 2424646

View attachment 2424648

WITH STUBBLE DRAWN ON

View attachment 2424650

View attachment 2424651

Oh god, oh god this looks awful.

"I can make a better game than Kodaka" is actually an incredibly common (and infuriating) position in the fandom. Especially among roleplays, you're genuinely more likely to find people who run roleplays to make a 'better' Danganronpa than people who make fan content because they actually like the game. These people hate the franchise they've dedicated time and effort into making fanmade stories, games, and roleplays of because.... reasons? It's always reeked of moral puritanism and trying to cover up for the fact they're participating in 'problematic' content.

It's bad enough that in certain fan circles, mentioning you like the actual, canon games and content is a cancle-able offence. Fucking ridiculous. Quite frankly from what the roleplay community specifically looks like, those characters are actual a marked improvement over the average you'd run into.

Kuchipatchi

Hi, Soma!
kiwifarms.net
"I can make a better game than Kodaka" is actually an incredibly common (and infuriating) position in the fandom. Especially among roleplays, you're genuinely more likely to find people who run roleplays to make a 'better' Danganronpa than people who make fan content because they actually like the game. These people hate the franchise they've dedicated time and effort into making fanmade stories, games, and roleplays of because.... reasons? It's always reeked of moral puritanism and trying to cover up for the fact they're participating in 'problematic' content.

It's bad enough that in certain fan circles, mentioning you like the actual, canon games and content is a cancle-able offence. Fucking ridiculous. Quite frankly from what the roleplay community specifically looks like, those characters are actual a marked improvement over the average you'd run into.
So...are these people fans of the game or not? It sounds like they hate it but want to control it to poison it with western crap.

Never mind, I feel like I've answered my own question.

Kiryu DIO

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So...are these people fans of the game or not? It sounds like they hate it but want to control it to poison it with western crap.

They don't like taking in and admiring Japanese culture, everything and I do mean EVERYTHING has to be pandered to them or else it's every -ist or -phobe you can think of.

Tism the Return

( ^ U ^ )
kiwifarms.net
They don't like taking in and admiring Japanese culture, everything and I do mean EVERYTHING has to be pandered to them or else it's every -ist or -phobe you can think of.

Holy shit I can't believe these Japanese characters aren't all fat gay niggers I'm outraged and crying rn fucking Kodaka you racist chink piece of shit

That's what it feels like and it cracks me up.

Kiryu DIO

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Holy shit I can't believe these Japanese characters aren't all fat gay niggers I'm outraged and crying rn fucking Kodaka you racist chink piece of shit

That's what it feels like and it cracks me up.
How dare these Japanese characters not be diverse in a Japanese game! I'm going to cope and seethe by making shitty redesigns that completely undermine and ignore the source material!

Compositesludge

kiwifarms.net

It depends. I'd say that most of them enjoy it and are ashamed for enjoying it (you do collect underwear and are surrounded by conventionally sexually attracted people, after all). Creating fanfiction which lambasts the original material on the back of a cast which is diverse first and human seconds is their form of public flagellation.

Doctor of Autism

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 2424627

View attachment 2424633

View attachment 2424638

View attachment 2424641

View attachment 2424646

View attachment 2424648

WITH STUBBLE DRAWN ON

View attachment 2424650

View attachment 2424651

These characters design issues is that the designs don't feel distinct from other Tumblr-esque properties and I love the balls on this guy to act like he can write better than professional writers as though he isn't one of many fan writers who say that. Like I can get the idea sometimes since so many people can see some dogshit in writers and do better, but when these people put their money where their mouth is at they have no idea what they are talking about.

These people have trigger lists where they get scared or triggered over the most miniscule shit like names of certain people or at one point someone was triggered by the existence of a canon character. It's super petty that it just feels like shit these people don't want to see.

As for their thoughts, DR fans like this are the types that only love the characters and hate the story since the most praise you hear is how some of the cases are handled or about the characters

The reddit makes these pretentious rankdown thing where a bunch of fans act like their opinions are the most important. Like even the main reddit has these pretentious essays where people who wrote them act like certain characters are smarter than people think and are super deep despite being really generic (this mainly applies to the protagonist of the first game).

Another issue with these people is that of course they think they can write better than Kodaka when they make really elaborate OC characters where they can only focus on them rather than a cast of multiple characters that have to get less screentime than others.

Better question is Daganronpa a game or is it just a book you click through?
I'd say it's a game since there are many different gameplay elements that make it feel distinct from an average click and point VN (though that's more on the minigames).

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd say it's a game since there are many different gameplay elements that make it feel distinct from an average click and point VN (though that's more on the minigames).
But would you describe the gameplay elements to be good enough to be the big draw or the is the story and other non-interactive passive elements still going to be the main draw to everything since exploration is rather limited in all 3 of the main games.

Doctor of Autism

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
But would you describe the gameplay elements to be good enough to be the big draw or the is the story and other non-interactive passive elements still going to be the main draw to everything since exploration is rather limited in all 3 of the main games.
Idk I'm not here to really debate about the intricacies of what is a game and what is a visual novel. I'm just here to laugh at self righteous retards.

Personally I'd consider visual novels to be games in general even if they aren't a traditional game, since if shit like Depression Quest which barely has visuals can be considered a game than so can DR.

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Idk I'm not here to really debate about the intricacies of what is a game and what is a visual novel. I'm just here to laugh at self righteous retards.

Personally I'd consider visual novels to be games in general even if they aren't a traditional game, since if shit like Depression Quest which barely has visuals can be considered a game than so can DR.
Well that's assuming you trust the opinions of those who had the power to deem it a game. I mean it's 2021 can you really trust a game journalist?

It depends. I'd say that most of them enjoy it and are ashamed for enjoying it (you do collect underwear and are surrounded by conventionally sexually attracted people, after all). Creating fanfiction which lambasts the original material on the back of a cast which is diverse first and human seconds is their form of public flagellation.
More or less, correct. It's not hard to witness people listing everything from collecting underwear to Touko's existance as to why DR is irredeemable and problematic. Being an unapologetic fan of the series is actually rather rare from experience, and being unabashed about it in the wrong circles can get you nearly unpersoned.

These characters design issues is that the designs don't feel distinct from other Tumblr-esque properties and I love the balls on this guy to act like he can write better than professional writers as though he isn't one of many fan writers who say that. Like I can get the idea sometimes since so many people can see some dogshit in writers and do better, but when these people put their money where their mouth is at they have no idea what they are talking about.

These people have trigger lists where they get scared or triggered over the most miniscule shit like names of certain people or at one point someone was triggered by the existence of a canon character. It's super petty that it just feels like shit these people don't want to see.

As for their thoughts, DR fans like this are the types that only love the characters and hate the story since the most praise you hear is how some of the cases are handled or about the characters

The reddit makes these pretentious rankdown thing where a bunch of fans act like their opinions are the most important. Like even the main reddit has these pretentious essays where people who wrote them act like certain characters are smarter than people think and are super deep despite being really generic (this mainly applies to the protagonist of the first game).

Another issue with these people is that of course they think they can write better than Kodaka when they make really elaborate OC characters where they can only focus on them rather than a cast of multiple characters that have to get less screentime than others.
Also correct. Actual, real triggers from danganronpa fancommunities can include:
  • Pewdiepie
  • Blood/Gore
  • Death of minors
  • Calling a character by their canonical pronouns
  • The letter W
  • Emojis/emoticons
  • James Charles
  • Canon characters
  • Ships from fandoms that aren't connected to DR in any way
  • JJBA Characters
That's just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe sometime I'll show off some insider info on some fandom discords or something. Can also confirm that most of these people are shit writers. Like, we're talking 'my character is a trans superstar that roundhouse kicked a transphobe and said a le epic own before talking about autism awareness' level. Self-projection is also a huge issue; I've seen people be ex-communicated from creative areas because they dared to write a character that was a villain, and these chucklefucks literally cannot distinguish from fiction and reality to the point where if you so much as hint towards your character having the mindset of a typical Japanese citizen (instead of an ultra-woke American) they'll shitcan you faster than you can put a trigger warning on your writing. It's so bad that sometimes entire creative endeavors come to a halt because nobody wants to be problematic and rock the boat.

Writers also like to completely disregard canon, but that's more a pet peeve than anything else.

Compositesludge

kiwifarms.net
Can also confirm that most of these people are shit writers. Like, we're talking 'my character is a trans superstar that roundhouse kicked a transphobe and said a le epic own before talking about autism awareness' level. Self-projection is also a huge issue; I've seen people be ex-communicated from creative areas because they dared to write a character that was a villain, and these chucklefucks literally cannot distinguish from fiction and reality to the point where if you so much as hint towards your character having the mindset of a typical Japanese citizen (instead of an ultra-woke American) they'll shitcan you faster than you can put a trigger warning on your writing. It's so bad that sometimes entire creative endeavors come to a halt because nobody wants to be problematic and rock the boat.

I hate both of these things, because what you get isn't a story. It's a PSA. It's somebody preaching to you about why they're right and should be validated. People enjoy reading stories, engaging with memorable characters, and challenging themselves and their self-conceived notions of the world. Hell, how about the setting? Nagito/Izuru's existence is proof positive that Hope's Peak Academy is literally able to quantify and allocate luck. That alone could be a fantastic idea for a story! Imagine that playing out with different state actors running up against the possibility of slamming into a cosmic/conceptual debt collector as they jockey for resources/power. Or the idea of setting things during the Tragedy outside of Japan, so nobody knows what the hell is happening in the midst of a memetic zombie plague. Junko opening a taco stand, you get where I'm coming from, there's so much potential and so much to be interested in.

It makes me sad because they've focused instead on what makes them uncomfortable and what they hate. It always comes back to them on the page, and because their lives are so focused on what's miserable and unacceptable without designs beyond telling their audience that they're miserable and things are unacceptable that the end result almost has to be unappealing. They can't look beyond themselves, and thus can't look at characters as doing anything more than what their creators secretly want to do. They can only write themselves, and perhaps can't imagine anybody doing anything more. It's funny and sad to me that they lean on diversity so heavily, when the end result is still so lifeless, unappealing, and heterogeneously bad.

Writers also like to completely disregard canon, but that's more a pet peeve than anything else.

Yes, but enough about DR3!