Danganronpa Fandom - More piss than expected

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.
I hate both of these things, because what you get isn't a story. It's a PSA. It's somebody preaching to you about why they're right and should be validated. People enjoy reading stories, engaging with memorable characters, and challenging themselves and their self-conceived notions of the world. Hell, how about the setting? Nagito/Izuru's existence is proof positive that Hope's Peak Academy is literally able to quantify and allocate luck. That alone could be a fantastic idea for a story! Imagine that playing out with different state actors running up against the possibility of slamming into a cosmic/conceptual debt collector as they jockey for resources/power. Or the idea of setting things during the Tragedy outside of Japan, so nobody knows what the hell is happening in the midst of a memetic zombie plague. Junko opening a taco stand, you get where I'm coming from, there's so much potential and so much to be interested in.

It makes me sad because they've focused instead on what makes them uncomfortable and what they hate. It always comes back to them on the page, and because their lives are so focused on what's miserable and unacceptable without designs beyond telling their audience that they're miserable and things are unacceptable that the end result almost has to be unappealing. They can't look beyond themselves, and thus can't look at characters as doing anything more than what their creators secretly want to do. They can only write themselves, and perhaps can't imagine anybody doing anything more. It's funny and sad to me that they lean on diversity so heavily, when the end result is still so lifeless, unappealing, and heterogeneously bad.
It happens even to the best of writers. The roleplaying community is a cesspool of idpol, cliques, and cancel culture. People are afraid to put murders into their own killing games because it might offend people, and canon-typical content is seen as being 'too much' for a public game. People get cancelled for having lil' ultimates, derided for drawing fan sprites, and the entire community is so centralized and dare I say commodified that it's created this strange atmosphere where killing games are seen as products to be consumed, but are not allowed the identity of professional teams or projects.

In case none of you are aware, mkgrp (mutual killing game roleplays) are largely advertised through a discord server called the Dangan Nexus. It's basically Craigslist for roleplays, with sections dedicated to each month's games and a short ad for each one alongside any requirements and who's running it. These killing games are largely centered around original plots made by the admin/mods, and geared towards original character casts. Players can sign up for pings to be alerted whenever deadlines for games get close. Deadlines, I hear you ask?

Yes, deadlines. DRRP runs almost exclusively on competitive applications. As one might imagine, this causes a shitload of nepotism and favoritism that nobody can ever call out because the people who do it the most are the most popular people who can get you shadow banned from any popular roleplay just because they don't like you. Games can get anywhere from a handful of application submissions to literally hundreds for the most popular games. This also means that games pride themselves on presentation, leaving the most popular and well-known games to be filled with professional-grade art, animated cut scenes, and fancy graphics. This has the exact effect on small text-based games that you're imagining.

The entire community is an absolute shitshow, but it can be hard to penetrate for someone on the outside considering how much of it is clout based. But it has some messy drama in it. There was a game that got blown apart by the community because it was discovered they had a minors only NSFW channel, and another that got people so mad that it forced a rule change in the discord for advertisements because the entire game was populated by lil' ultimates (elementary school-age kids). Thankfully the mods of the Nexus don't seem to put up with bullshit or personal vendettas, but that hasn't stopped people from trying.

There's also a very sizeable twitter community regarding mkgrp, and a smaller tumblr side as well.

capsule.

kiwifarms.net
It's worth mentioning that the fandom is also fond of blackwashing characters. It's not hard to find at all which worries me a fuck-ton. Here's one I found of Usami. (Apologies for not spoiling the image or anything. I can't seem to figure out how to spoiler images just yet...)
unknown (10).png

Compositesludge

kiwifarms.net
It happens even to the best of writers. The roleplaying community is a cesspool of idpol, cliques, and cancel culture. People are afraid to put murders into their own killing games because it might offend people, and canon-typical content is seen as being 'too much' for a public game. People get cancelled for having lil' ultimates, derided for drawing fan sprites, and the entire community is so centralized and dare I say commodified that it's created this strange atmosphere where killing games are seen as products to be consumed, but are not allowed the identity of professional teams or projects.

This seems like a continuation of V3, where Team Danganronpa is considered obsolete. There's potential commentary to be made there regarding fiction and reality, but I'm too lazy to make it.

And everything about the roleplaying sounds maddening.

It's worth mentioning that the fandom is also fond of blackwashing characters. It's not hard to find at all which worries me a fuck-ton.

I'm not sure if it's worth getting worried about - it's probably another expression of their role-strain between enjoying games like DR and wanting to fit into more progressive circles - but it sure can be strange!

capsule.

kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure if it's worth getting worried about - it's probably another expression of their role-strain between enjoying games like DR and wanting to fit into more progressive circles - but it sure can be strange!
Fair. I just kind of wanted an excuse to share some stuff by someone who makes horrific DR artwork. If I can figure out how to spoiler images-

Compositesludge

kiwifarms.net
Fair. I just kind of wanted an excuse to share some stuff by someone who makes horrific DR artwork. If I can figure out how to spoiler images-

Shit, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was criticising you. I'm sorry about my tone, I'm still terrible at phrasing things in a way that makes me come off like, well, not an asshole. Thank you for contributing to the thread, I think it's definitely worth discussing.

capsule.

kiwifarms.net
Shit, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was criticising you. I'm sorry about my tone, I'm still terrible at phrasing things in a way that makes me come off like, well, not an asshole. Thank you for contributing to the thread, I think it's definitely worth discussing.
It's fine. And I wasn't mad in the first place anyway. And you're more then welcome. I'm more then happy to share my experiences and things like that as someone who was involved with the fandom for a while.

capsule.

kiwifarms.net
If you don't mind, I have a story for you all. I apologize in advance for any powerlevel reveals.

I was involved with the Danganronpa Roleplay scene for a while, but wasn't involved in many MKGRP communities since most of them contained children with the most ridiculous trigger lists imaginable. (I vaguely remember someone being triggered by the song "Don't Worry Be Happy")

Anyway, I was in the aforementioned Danganronpa RPChat Discord Server and was looking to join in a shitpost RP channel that they had because it looked fun or some shit. Enter one of the mods (at the time), let's call her "Aki". Aki was the girlfriend of another mod/possibly the server's owner who will be referred to as "Tamago".

Aki flipped her shit and was like "NO YOU CAN'T JOIN BECAUSE THATS WHERE ME AND TAMAGO GET ALL LOVEY DOVEY WITH EACH OTHER BECAUSE COMFORT!!!!1!11". I was like, "okay? but other people roleplay in that channel." Aki started sperging out even more which caused Tamago to tell me to, and I quote "Shut the fuck up, Capsule"

I probably should have kept my cool, but they we're both adults and shouldn't have been behaving like that. I said how that was uncalled for and then EVERYONE in the server got on my ass, They were saying shit like "Just kick her" and when I told them to stop dogpiling me, someone flat out said "Don't guilt trip"

I ended up getting kicked, but after being forced to apologize for pretty much nothing, I decided to come back against my better judgement.

That's really all I can remember. There was 100% more bullshit that happened in the server after that, but I can't remember most of it. I stayed in the server for another year before leaving, then leaving the fandom shortly after.

(Edit: Didn't realize I double-posted until now. Sorry 'bout that)

If you don't mind, I have a story for you all. I apologize in advance for any powerlevel reveals.

I was involved with the Danganronpa Roleplay scene for a while, but wasn't involved in many MKGRP communities since most of them contained children with the most ridiculous trigger lists imaginable. (I vaguely remember someone being triggered by the song "Don't Worry Be Happy")

Anyway, I was in the aforementioned Danganronpa RPChat Discord Server and was looking to join in a shitpost RP channel that they had because it looked fun or some shit. Enter one of the mods (at the time), let's call her "Aki". Aki was the girlfriend of another mod/possibly the server's owner who will be referred to as "Tamago".

Aki flipped her shit and was like "NO YOU CAN'T JOIN BECAUSE THATS WHERE ME AND TAMAGO GET ALL LOVEY DOVEY WITH EACH OTHER BECAUSE COMFORT!!!!1!11". I was like, "okay? but other people roleplay in that channel." Aki started sperging out even more which caused Tamago to tell me to, and I quote "Shut the fuck up, Capsule"

I probably should have kept my cool, but they we're both adults and shouldn't have been behaving like that. I said how that was uncalled for and then EVERYONE in the server got on my ass, They were saying shit like "Just kick her" and when I told them to stop dogpiling me, someone flat out said "Don't guilt trip"

I ended up getting kicked, but after being forced to apologize for pretty much nothing, I decided to come back against my better judgement.

That's really all I can remember. There was 100% more bullshit that happened in the server after that, but I can't remember most of it. I stayed in the server for another year before leaving, then leaving the fandom shortly after.

(Edit: Didn't realize I double-posted until now. Sorry 'bout that)
From my experience, that sounds about right. I won't go into details to spare myself, but I've seen people be kicked because they roleplayed a ship the other players didn't like and bullied them into being removed, and have seen people be forced to omit entire backstories because the mods were too incompetent to check their own characters against the blacklist so now someone can't mention their OC's backstory at all because it would trigger someone else. They killed off their OC as a victim the same chapter.

MKGRPs also are filled with lazy and incompetent mod teams that have no idea what the fuck they're doing. They front load the game so all the fancy cool stuff is seen, and then the entire game screeches to a halt because the mods can't bother to plan any murders or do any actual work for months on end. A couple of well known people in the fandom have a track record of starting giant, popular games only to let them die in the first chapter (games are set up like canon, so one death per chapter and 5-6 chapters total), only to turn around and immediately start another just as hyped game, sometimes without even telling the players of the first game it's been cancelled.

It's a shame, because a KGRP with a group of people who know what they're doing can be insanely fun. Everyone being able to let loose with some wackshit Danganronpa stuff with a cool plot and some hard trials gives the same satisfaction of a really good TTRPG, but with more time to get to know the party unrelated to plot. There aren't a lot of resources for roleplays outside of that, though, so people are stuck affiliating with the fandom whether they want to or not because the Nexus is the only reliable way to get a decent amount of applicants. What I wouldn't give for a balls to the wall, no holds barred killing game...

Doctor of Autism

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
From my experience, that sounds about right. I won't go into details to spare myself, but I've seen people be kicked because they roleplayed a ship the other players didn't like and bullied them into being removed, and have seen people be forced to omit entire backstories because the mods were too incompetent to check their own characters against the blacklist so now someone can't mention their OC's backstory at all because it would trigger someone else. They killed off their OC as a victim the same chapter.

MKGRPs also are filled with lazy and incompetent mod teams that have no idea what the fuck they're doing. They front load the game so all the fancy cool stuff is seen, and then the entire game screeches to a halt because the mods can't bother to plan any murders or do any actual work for months on end. A couple of well known people in the fandom have a track record of starting giant, popular games only to let them die in the first chapter (games are set up like canon, so one death per chapter and 5-6 chapters total), only to turn around and immediately start another just as hyped game, sometimes without even telling the players of the first game it's been cancelled.

It's a shame, because a KGRP with a group of people who know what they're doing can be insanely fun. Everyone being able to let loose with some wackshit Danganronpa stuff with a cool plot and some hard trials gives the same satisfaction of a really good TTRPG, but with more time to get to know the party unrelated to plot. There aren't a lot of resources for roleplays outside of that, though, so people are stuck affiliating with the fandom whether they want to or not because the Nexus is the only reliable way to get a decent amount of applicants. What I wouldn't give for a balls to the wall, no holds barred killing game...
I remembered associating with someone who was into these things and so many of these DR players often would bitch about dying because they want the spotlight and there are drama whores who'd often cause shit because are very entitled. But that whole presentation shit is also dumb because while it looks nice it shouldn't be a priority.

But back on autism of the DR fandom, while I was lookin' for stuff to put in the Deviantart horrors thread, I found this shit in the comment section of a fetish fic that took it too seriously. Why do autistic retards always talk about their autism.

1628744109951.png

Kiryu DIO

Be exceptional, do drugs and shit, praise DIO
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remembered associating with someone who was into these things and so many of these DR players often would bitch about dying because they want the spotlight and there are drama whores who'd often cause shit because are very entitled. But that whole presentation shit is also dumb because while it looks nice it shouldn't be a priority.

But back on autism of the DR fandom, while I was lookin' for stuff to put in the Deviantart horrors thread, I found this shit in the comment section of a fetish fic that took it too seriously. Why do autistic retards always talk about their autism.

View attachment 2437211
>"Do you need an adult?"
>"I'm 35 years old"
Why is that so funny to me?

Compositesludge

kiwifarms.net

This kind of stinks too. It's the nature of the game, somebody's gonna have to die early to set the stakes, or mess up an execution, or whatever. Just roll with it! It's fun! Or at least it's supposed to be.

They also do something that drives me up a wall - they just skip over interesting things to write about. A team of hackers breaking into the New World Program? That could be fun to read about. A surgical swat team somehow capturing Junko? Could also be cool. But it just sort of happens off screen in favor of people talking to one another. Yes, I know it's a Facebook comment, but it's still annoying.

The above, however, did actually happen with a fanfic I happened to talk to the author of. I can't even remember what in particular it was, something about Kazuichi stopping nukes, but he was adamant that it would just be that easy for him to do because he builds robots. No plans to talk about it or ratchet up the tension, just one and done. And then it turned out that he wasn't even writing his fanfiction anymore, so I don't really know why he was adamant about not writing something interesting in the story that he had given up on already. It was very confusing.

>"Do you need an adult?"
>"I'm 35 years old"
Why is that so funny to me?

He's old enough to know that he doesn't need an adult, but not mature enough to see that he's not writing very well. The juxtaposition of the two is hilarious.

capsule.

kiwifarms.net
A surgical swat team somehow capturing Junko?
I actually roleplayed something like that with a former friend and my ex. I don't have it on record anymore, since 1: It was in the RPChat discord and 2: The channel for it was deleted so no archive. But I might end up writing out what I remember.

(Shit, that was a massive powerlevel. I just got reminded of it is all. Sorry!)

Doctor of Autism

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
They also do something that drives me up a wall - they just skip over interesting things to write about. A team of hackers breaking into the New World Program? That could be fun to read about. A surgical swat team somehow capturing Junko? Could also be cool. But it just sort of happens off screen in favor of people talking to one another. Yes, I know it's a Facebook comment, but it's still annoying.
It's a Deviantart comment and you shouldn't take it seriously as a profound idea. It's just military wank to kill Junko because they whined over the ending of a bad fetish fic.

Compositesludge

kiwifarms.net
I actually roleplayed something like that with a former friend and my ex. I don't have it on record anymore, since 1: It was in the RPChat discord and 2: The channel for it was deleted so no archive. But I might end up writing out what I remember.

(Shit, that was a massive powerlevel. I just got reminded of it is all. Sorry!)

No worries at all! This thread's a guilty pleasure of mine.

It's a Deviantart comment and you shouldn't take it seriously as a profound idea. It's just military wank to kill Junko because they whined over the ending of a bad fetish fic.

It's all good, I promise it won't keep me up at night.

Kiryu DIO

Be exceptional, do drugs and shit, praise DIO
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Another horrifying image from the artist who made the Human Usami. All I have to say is that I'm 99.9% sure these are traced.
unknown.png
I did not want to see Gibbon Hinata and Dolphin Whatshername.

MF ALBERT

Novice computer programmer celebrating Halloween
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Another horrifying image from the artist who made the Human Usami. All I have to say is that I'm 99.9% sure these are traced.
unknown.png
Almost looks eerily similar to the CalArts Animation that has dominated Western Animation™ for years now.

Geoff Peterson

kiwifarms.net
Danganronpa was already pretty diverse as far as Japanese games go. You've got Mahiru who's a Japanese Ginger and Kokichi who's a nigger.
unknown.png
I'm mistaken apparently. Mahiru is a dolphin.