Danganronpa Series - aka Demented Animatronic Bear Gets People Murdered: the Game

Feline Darkmage

Gay Anime Cat
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Since I keep hearing chatter elsewhere on the net about the upcoming Danganronpa 3 anime and video game series, and the fact that I'm engrossed in the first 2 games right now I decided to make a thread about discussion for the series.

Now, the basic premise is that a bear named Monokuma claims to be the headmaster of a prestigious Japanese High School known as Hope's Peak Academy and gets its students to slaughter each other for the sake of despair.

There are a lot of plot spoilers in this series because plot. So please put spoilers in tags like this:
JUNKO DOESNT ACTUALLY DIE IN CHAPTER ONE SHE'S THE M-*censored*

nvrn19

kiwifarms.net
It might be out of personal preference, but I ended up enjoying Super Dangan Ronpa 2 more than the first game. I ended up having a lot more favorite characters there than in the first DR, and the last couple of cases completely blew the last twist out of the water! So naturally, I can't wait to play Danganronpa V3 when it gets here.

Though I get the feeling that there wasn't much care in bringing Ultra Despair Girls overseas with all the kinks ironed out; the game tried to close itself out if I did anything else on my vita like check trophies, and then after I beat Chapter 1 and took a break to play something else, it got into a loop of loading my file and then going back to the title screen...;;

Pinkamena Diane Pie

kiwifarms.net
It might be out of personal preference, but I ended up enjoying Super Dangan Ronpa 2 more than the first game. I ended up having a lot more favorite characters there than in the first DR, and the last couple of cases completely blew the last twist out of the water! So naturally, I can't wait to play Danganronpa V3 when it gets here.

Though I get the feeling that there wasn't much care in bringing Ultra Despair Girls overseas with all the kinks ironed out; the game tried to close itself out if I did anything else on my vita like check trophies, and then after I beat Chapter 1 and took a break to play something else, it got into a loop of loading my file and then going back to the title screen...;;
I like DR2, too. Some of the characters in the first game rubbed me the wrong way.

I think the deaths that got excluded were far better, too.

Honestly was disappointed in some deaths. I liked the ones that were in the Ifs, like Mahiru.

Pepsi-Cola

Fuck Cumrobbery!
kiwifarms.net
Anyone watching the DR3 Future/Despair arc anime airing this season? Didnt like ep1 of future but ep1 of despair with the SDR2 cast was great.
Agreed. I have a feeling that the Future arc is going to suck balls because it's trying to adapt the premise of the games into an Anime, which just doesn't work imo. I think the Despair arc will be good though, it's pretty much just slice-of-life, which is kind of hard to fuck up.

nvrn19

kiwifarms.net
Bleh, I don't like the Future Arc so far. I mean, I guess it's good that we'll get closure on the original survivors, but melding it with these new graduates doesn't really make me so excited, even if they could be good characters on their own. -_- But again, that could be my own bias towards it since I loved the shit out of Despair Arc's first episode, if only because I could see my kids in a happier setting!

Xerxes IX

Remove Kebab is a meme of peace
kiwifarms.net
My favorite character might show up in Despair Arc which is cool I guess. I didn't like that one as much as many people since I wasn't really fond of the main characters in the second game

Pinkamena Diane Pie

kiwifarms.net
Playing it again. Is it just me, or does the shooting mechanism very hard to control are times?

I had to retry the second trial several times at one specific scene in the first game because I can't aim at it quick enough.

When Mando says he doesn't have a broken device, you have to show the Broken ID as proof. This is right before the comic sequence

KickyerArsene

If you'll pardon my French
kiwifarms.net
I'm currently playing 1 (Trigger Happy Havoc) through emulation on my phone and really enjoying it. Translated from Japanese with original Japanese acting >>>> waaay better than clips I've seen from the dub.

On chapter 4 and it's getting real interesting now. The only thing I dislike is that it's impossible to spend time with everyone with the extremely limited free time. I missed out completely on Ishimaru and Enoshima, sadly. This time.

Oh, and the anime adaptation is one of the worst things animes I have ever seen. They couldn't have butchered the game any worse. Literally care more about the spectacle of the murders than the actual story and characters, which were the focal point of the games. Not the other way around.

R.A.E.L.

Sugarbaby
kiwifarms.net
2 is easily the best game IMO, the cast is so much better. Couldn't give less of a shit about Ultra Despair Girls.
The only thing I dislike is that it's impossible to spend time with everyone with the extremely limited free time. I missed out completely on Ishimaru and Enoshima, sadly. This time.
That's kinda the point, it depends on who you think is most interesting/worth your time. Post-game when you go back and can do everyone else at your leisure/get all the free time events it spoils things about the characters and makes what happens to some of them more impactful in retrospect. That's how I see it, anyway.

Last edited:

Fiber-Rich Vegetable

Staying up until 11pm
kiwifarms.net
I enjoyed Ultra Despair Girls but was disappointed in the whole 3D shooting style, so I was really happy when I realized v3 is happening! I haven't looked into it, but its release date is in four days, September 26th! I hope UDG isn't setting the tone for the DR games to come, as I don't think the gameplay should have been changed from the first two...

Otherwise I agree with what I think is the most common opinion, that Danganronpa 2 was the better game. It was just more fun. I hope Byakuya and Monokuma continue to get bigger roles, Monokuma felt annoyingly anonymous in Ultra Despair Girls, despite his role.

What are your favourite characters? I think I only really took a real liking to Byakuya, Monokuma and Sakura, but I think all characters goes really well together, so I don't really dislike anyone... Except Komaeda, which I almost feel like I'm committing a crime when admitting.

R.A.E.L.

Sugarbaby
kiwifarms.net
My favorites are Gundam, Souda, Ibuki, Mikan, Sakura and Mondo. I also like Leon for some reason.

V3 is absolutely crazy and I can't wait to see everyone's reactions.

Reactions: Saney and m62259

m62259

kiwifarms.net
Oh boy....

Cant wait for the salt thread for V3's main twist('s)...... their gonna be pissed that kodaka(main writer and creator) has Skyscraper sized balls to do what he did in chapter's 1 and 6...

Reactions: R.A.E.L.

Manah

...Did someone say "weeaboo"?
kiwifarms.net
Chiaki is my favorite character, because I too am an autistic female.

I'm currently playing 1 (Trigger Happy Havoc) through emulation on my phone and really enjoying it. Translated from Japanese with original Japanese acting >>>> waaay better than clips I've seen from the dub.

On chapter 4 and it's getting real interesting now. The only thing I dislike is that it's impossible to spend time with everyone with the extremely limited free time. I missed out completely on Ishimaru and Enoshima, sadly. This time.

Oh, and the anime adaptation is one of the worst things animes I have ever seen. They couldn't have butchered the game any worse. Literally care more about the spectacle of the murders than the actual story and characters, which were the focal point of the games. Not the other way around.
The Danganronpa 3 anime is the worst thing I have EVER seen. The future arc is literally 13 episodes of people doing things while nothing ACTUALLY HAPPENS.

There isn't a single moment I actually liked about it.

My favorites are Gundam, Souda, Ibuki, Mikan, Sakura and Mondo. I also like Leon for some reason.

V3 is absolutely crazy and I can't wait to see everyone's reactions.
What confuses me about V3 is the ending sets it up like there's supposed to be sequels to it, but Kodaka said he was done with the series in the V3 artbook interviews.

I was disappointed that
Kaede died. She was, in my opinion, the most interesting of the DR protagonists because she was a lot more proactive. I would've liked it more if they killed her off later on, so it was more of a shock.

Reactions: m62259

KickyerArsene

If you'll pardon my French
kiwifarms.net
The Danganronpa 3 anime is the worst thing I have EVER seen. The future arc is literally 13 episodes of people doing things while nothing ACTUALLY HAPPENS.

There isn't a single moment I actually liked about it.
Apparently none of the animations are any good then.

Anyway, I look forward to playing 2 once I finish with the first.

Manah

...Did someone say "weeaboo"?
kiwifarms.net
Apparently none of the animations are any good then.

Anyway, I look forward to playing 2 once I finish with the first.
You should! A lot of people didn't like DR2 (which I can understand) because from the very start it takes a less grounded approach than the first game, but I enjoyed all of the characters more than I did in the first game, and I think the overall plot was more interesting.

The anime's biggest problem is that it took a lot of things from DR2 that were left vague and interesting and gives them really boring explanations.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino