Daraprim drug's key ingredient recreated by high school students in Sydney for just $20 -

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I find it strange, if it's so cheap to copy why is no one doing so with FDA issues? It's almost like it's not Martin's fault, it's him seeing a faulted system and jumping on it. Step back to econ 101. He is the only person to give the supply and there is demand..... Now who's causing the fault he's the only company with supply?

It's almost like he follows economic law and there's some 3rd party fucking shit up and pocketing the money and placing the blame on the guy who's pocketing some of the huge profits they take in.

look it's killing faggots and you are all upset why?

Gym Leader Elesa

Electric Shock!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I find it strange, if it's so cheap to copy why is no one doing so with FDA issues? It's almost like it's not Martin's fault, it's him seeing a faulted system and jumping on it. Step back to econ 101. He is the only person to give the supply and there is demand..... Now who's causing the fault he's the only company with supply?

It's almost like he follows economic law and there's some 3rd party fucking shit up and pocketing the money and placing the blame on the guy who's pocketing some of the huge profits they take in.
This is a good point, and I don't disparage what you're saying. But ethically, he deserves the scorn for taking advantage of a bad situation, regardless of who created it. Do I think he should go to jail or be fined? No. But I am not going to pretend he did something morally justifiable. "Because the bad people will let me get away with it" is not a good reason.

He also needs to fund the next drugs he's working on, not to mention he and his employees have to eat.
Not since he resigned, but I assure you they made more money than you or I probably ever will, while people were denied access to medication that he (and they) could have still turned a profit from on much less, exacerbated by the situation @Bassomatic mentioned above.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is a good point, and I don't disparage what you're saying. But ethically, he deserves the scorn for taking advantage of a bad situation, regardless of who created it. Do I think he should go to jail or be fined? No. But I am not going to pretend he did something morally justifiable. "Because the bad people will let me get away with it" is not a good reason.
I'm not painting him as a victim or angel but I'm saying, if you had a company and OWED stock holders, it's real easy to throw stones from your glass house.

If I pointed a gun to your head and said, lotto numbers are 123... buy a ticket. You'd probably buy that ticket right?

Jon-Kacho

Wi-Fi Soy-Fi てい ソイヤサッサッサ
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not since he resigned, but I assure you they made more money than you or I probably ever will, while people were denied access to medication that he (and they) could have still turned a profit from on much less, exarcebated by the situation @Bassomatic mentioned above.
Can you actually show any instances of people not getting Daraprim who needed it? Keep in mind that only like 2,000 people in the entire country need it, and that it's given away for free to uninsured people and only costs $10 out of pocket if you are insured.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Martin being a complete unforgiven asshole didn't help him make friends at all and he more than with joy painted a target on himself.

As a CEO it's VERY hard to fault him. Morally it's not too hard, socially it's more than easy to say I want to slap the kid. This topic is above and unrelated to ALL of that.

Gym Leader Elesa

Electric Shock!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Can you actually show any instances of people not getting Daraprim who needed it? Keep in mind that only like 2,000 people in the entire country need it.
Now, before I go on a source hunt again, let me ask you what difference that makes when taking into account only his actions? Is it ethical to charge 5000% what you have to for essential medication, when you would have already profited before hand? I know you'll say yes to that question, but I would be interested to hear your reasoning.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/sep/24/martin-shkreli/fact-checking-martin-shkrelis-claim-daraprim-under/

A quick source on the percentage alone, there.

I'm not painting him as a victim or angel but I'm saying, if you had a company and OWED stock holders, it's real easy to throw stones from your glass house.

If I pointed a gun to your head and said, lotto numbers are 123... buy a ticket. You'd probably buy that ticket right?
I won't say that I won't. In all kinds of situations I might do all kinds of horrible things, and that's why I am not saying we should hang the man. But that doesn't justify what he did. A lot of arguments have been made to me "but Elesa it's his right." Yes, it is. Great. "But wouldn't you be tempted?" Probably. I'm the sort of person who posts on Kiwi Farms. But call a spade a spade.

Edit for clarification: the only argument I am making now is that Shrekli is a dick and his actions are from my perspective, immoral. Which is the only argument I have been trying to make.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I won't say that I won't. In all kinds of situations I might do all kinds of horrible things, and that's why I am not saying we should hang the man. But that doesn't justify what he did. A lot of arguments have been made to me "but Elesa it's his right." Yes, it is. Great. "But wouldn't you be tempted?" Probably. I'm the sort of person who posts on Kiwi Farms. But call a spade a spade.

Edit for clarification: the only argument I am making now is that Shrekli is a dick and his actions are from my perspective, immoral. Which is the only argument I have been trying to make.
I'm not trying to disagree or shame anyone, but saying in those shoes it's A: Temping B: logical.

Again I didn't want this thread to get into Martin because honestly IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM. The first post and link in OP is a fucking pointless piles of insults to him. That's my beef.

It's like saying YOU KNOW THOSE FUCKING ASSHOLES IN 1885 BURNT A LOT OF COAL FUCK THEM DONT THEY KNOW CLIMATE CHANGE. It's trying to make one and one three to push an agenda, and that's my beef.

Jon-Kacho

Wi-Fi Soy-Fi てい ソイヤサッサッサ
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Now, before I go on a source hunt again, let me ask you what difference that makes when taking into account only his actions? Is it ethical to charge 5000% what you have to for essential medication, when you would have already profited before hand? I know you'll say yes to that question, but I would be interested to hear your reasoning.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/sep/24/martin-shkreli/fact-checking-martin-shkrelis-claim-daraprim-under/

A quick source on the percentage alone, there.
You quoted my post before I edited it to point out that the drug is free for uninsured people and costs no more than $10 out of pocket for people with insurance. Nobody's paying $750/pill out of pocket. Considering that, sure it's ethical to squeeze some more money out of the insurance companies to help fund other lifesaving medicines.

Gym Leader Elesa

Electric Shock!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm not trying to disagree or shame anyone, but saying in those shoes it's A: Temping B: logical.

Again I didn't want this thread to get into Martin because honestly IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM. The first post and link in OP is a fucking pointless piles of insults to him. That's my beef.

It's like saying YOU KNOW THOSE FUCKING ASSHOLES IN 1885 BURNT A LOT OF COAL FUCK THEM DONT THEY KNOW CLIMATE CHANGE. It's trying to make one and one three to push an agenda, and that's my beef.
Fair enough, I sucked us into the off-topic void with an inflammatory comment, and I own up to that. I concede.

• Feels
Reactions: Bassomatic

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
kiwifarms.net
I think Martin said he raised the price partly to point out how fucked the current system of graduated price changes is, but also because Daraprim has some shitty side effects, so he wanted to funnel some of the money from increased price into doing R&D for an improved drug without those side effects

• Agree
Reactions: Jon-Kacho

DuskEngine

watermelon seller
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
sure it's ethical to squeeze some more money out of the insurance companies
Those costs are passed down to the customer though. Pharmas blame insurance companies for letting the costs trickle down and insurance providers blame pharmas for price gouging drugs. Turning a market failure into a morality tale is silly, but that doesn't mean you ignore its existence.

• Agree
Reactions: Gym Leader Elesa

*Asterisk*

Five-Percenter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
People are stupid enough to think Shkreli is funding R&D?

Even for @Jon-Kacho, this is Jonestown'd. This is an industry where less than one percent of revenue goes to R&D on a good day, and Shkreli's a useless cunt even by drug-industry standards.

The pharma industry is the most cronified industry in the country. They go after innovators for any reason they feel like, smother startups in the crib, and legalise cartel-esque monopolies for lifesaving products that're easy to manufacture. They incentivise stagnation and render competition illegal every chance they get.

In a better world, these people'd be executed for racketeering.
State-enforced monopolies are not normally what one thinks of when they are describing capitalism.
State-enforced monopolies are the only ways Trumpites do business. They're too stupid to come up with any ideas other than scams the public is legally required to follow, and are capable only of bringing along their personal government thugs to crack downon anyone who finds a workaround.

*Asterisk*

Five-Percenter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Shugo

kiwifarms.net
illegal to buy in America due to FDA bullshittery and Shkrellian motherfuckery.
Maybe we can bring back pharmaceutical manufacturing jobs to the USA now that Trump will be in office in a few months. I'm tired of our market being flooded with cheap Indian drugs made in sweatshops where workers are being paid less than a dollar an hour. What about American workers?

*Asterisk*

Five-Percenter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe we can bring back pharmaceutical manufacturing jobs to the USA now that Trump will be in office in a few months. I'm tired of our market being flooded with cheap Indian drugs made in sweatshops where workers are being paid less than a dollar an hour. What about American workers?
What part of "drugs from India are already illegal, as is manufacturing cheaper alternatives" flew over your head?

Make like the next Commander-in-Chief, and hop the fuck back on your ritalin.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino