DarksydePhil / TheyCallMeDSP / Phil Burnell - General Discussion

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

When will the begathon(s) for federal taxes happen (Up to 2 choices)?

• January

Votes: 140 34.8%
  • February

Votes: 214 53.2%
  • March

Votes: 168 41.8%
  • April

Votes: 105 26.1%

• Total voters

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
He won EVO East 2006 in Hyper Street Fighter 2. That's probably his biggest win. I'm sure he won some local tournaments in various iterations of SF2 and maybe SF3 courtesy of lesser local players.
It’s also bears repeating that there’s pretty much nothing past SF4 coming out. Before that, interest in fighting games was pretty much at its lowest; so the competition wouldn’t have been anywhere close to as strong as it is now.

grump

kiwifarms.net
It’s also bears repeating that there’s pretty much nothing past SF4 coming out. Before that, interest in fighting games was pretty much at its lowest; so the competition wouldn’t have been anywhere close to as strong as it is now.
Yep, its one thing to be a pro at one or two games in the olden days where you're just playing against a handful of selfselected arcade nerds. its quite another to be a pro with the internet opening up a whole world of competition and multiple games. Not to take away from some of the old guys skills. They're good and some have continued to prove themselves in the expanded landscape. Now that Phil's actual skill level as a 'pro fighting game player' is now being more fairly tested, its quite a nasty shock to find out he may be just above average at the thing he built his entire identity around.

neger psykolog

moon goons for communism detection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
He won EVO East 2006 in Hyper Street Fighter 2. That's probably his biggest win. I'm sure he won some local tournaments in various iterations of SF2 and maybe SF3 courtesy of lesser local players.
According to Shoryuken forums he participated in a range of smaller tournaments and won some and lost some. There's not really any agreement on there whether he was particularly skilled or not and as long as a decade ago people plain didn't like him at all and said he was shit.

He also did quite a few matches for money, he supposedly lost like a few in a single day.

DiabeticSP

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 374111

This game runs a pretty darn accurate simulation of what Phil will be like with a real job I'd say

=)
Phil had a miserable time with ufc 2 wtf is he talking about. He rage quit after tapping out.

Edit:

I don't think he put much thought into putting himself in the game.

Aren't fighters at 35 thinking about retiring at that age?
35 is retirement age for sure. If he picked a fighter age that old the game probably aged him out since after 5-6 fights he'd be pushing 38-40.

• Informative
Reactions: Draza

actually

Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Someone on Twitter pointed out that after getting his ass handed to him, Phil went on a break, came back, and mysteriously started doing much better.

...Almost like he changed the difficulty from normal to easy. But he would never do something like that and not mention it, right?

• Optimistic
Reactions: CartmanKusanagi

DudeAbides

kiwifarms.net
I remember a video on youtube someone posted where a former Arcade champion who played Street Fighter in the early 1990's dominated everyone and actually won a championship. I can't remember his name (I believe it was Tato or something close to it). Anyhow the video described by folks how great he was as a kid . He was 12/13 and would dominate everyone in the arcade. He then won the big tournament and named champion.

So as quick as he arrived ....he disappeared a year or two later. He never came around to play anymore. As one guy joked , he had beaten everyone. So he got bored and decided to move on. Well after searching they found out where he lived and he was now married with a couple kids.

He admitted he grew bored with Street Fighter and he had beaten everyone and just stopped playing. That he went to college and has a good job n family. That he never really told his family about his Street Fighter past.

It was like this guy was the anti-DSP. His life went on , he achieved what he wanted and he packed that part of his life away and moved on to have a family and career.