DarksydePhil / TheyCallMeDSP / Phil Burnell - General Discussion

When will the begathon(s) for federal taxes happen (Up to 2 choices)?

• April

Votes: 32 7.1%
  • May

Votes: 141 31.5%
  • June

Votes: 139 31.0%
  • July

Votes: 105 23.4%
  • How many begathons will be held (choose 1)?

Votes: 78 17.4%

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • 1-2

Votes: 120 26.8%
  • 3-4

Votes: 92 20.5%
  • 5+

Votes: 141 31.5%

• Total voters

actually

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Someone named Scoopula just tipped $100 and gifted 20 25 subs.
Pigroach luck strikes again.
What's up with these unknown whales that haven't talked in chat or anything?
As @Comma pointed out, scoopula's been around. I'll dig back through previous months' tips, because I recognize the name. That said, scoopula's basically Phil's income today (shoutout to mid-month payday for scoopula, I guess?). $100 of $132 total tips. $87.50 of $112.50 worth of subs. And Phil's still on pace for a below-average month. In addition, he's gotten 76 gifted subs this month and his current sub total is 510. So much for that "organic" growth, you know?

In short, it's another bandaid on a bullet hole.

Comma

kiwifarms.net
As @Comma pointed out, scoopula's been around. I'll dig back through previous months' tips, because I recognize the name. That said, scoopula's basically Phil's income today (shoutout to mid-month payday for scoopula, I guess?). $100 of $132 total tips. $87.50 of $112.50 worth of subs. And Phil's still on pace for a below-average month. In addition, he's gotten 76 gifted subs this month and his current sub total is 510. So much for that "organic" growth, you know?

In short, it's another bandaid on a bullet hole.
More like a bandaid on an asshole...

But I digress. What really strikes me, is that the past few days he has been claiming all tips are going straight to bills even though he must have received thousands of dollars from Twitch on the 15th/16th. I think he also mentioned his bank account was overdrawn (I think it was either Thursday or Saturday). Today he also mentioned he's wondering if he's able to afford the bills in June, and that the "behind the scenes" thing plays a role in that.

What on earth could have drained his bank account within one to three days after being paid thousands of dollars? It's so odd he doesn't want to tell what it is, because normally he's very quick to use things like that as an excuse to squeeze more money out of his viewers.

LyteSydeByll

kiwifarms.net
More like a bandaid on an asshole...

But I digress. What really strikes me, is that the past few days he has been claiming all tips are going straight to bills even though he must have received thousands of dollars from Twitch on the 15th/16th. I think he also mentioned his bank account was overdrawn (I think it was either Thursday or Saturday). Today he also mentioned he's wondering if he's able to afford the bills in June, and that the "behind the scenes" thing plays a role in that.

What on earth could have drained his bank account within one to three days after being paid thousands of dollars? It's so odd he doesn't want to tell what it is, because normally he's very quick to use things like that as an excuse to squeeze more money out of his viewers.
I would hazard a guess to the doctor's appointment as the only thing in the last 3 days that could have potentially been expensive but I don't think those bills are due immediately because insurance has to negotiate and pay what they cover before you get your bill for services rendered?

RawEggs

twitter.com/spawnseats
kiwifarms.net
I think that's unlikely. If Phil were tipping and subbing himself, he'd be losing money.

Keep in mind that Phil only sees about half of the sub money that comes in. A tier sub 1 costs about 5 dollars per sub, and Phil would only see about half that or 2.50 per sub. So, Phil would spend $125 to get back 62 (rounded). The same can be said for tips. Each dollar he tips, Phil loses a little bit of money For a $100 tip, he'd lose about 1 or 2 dollars.

It is possible that he'll do it to prime the pump, so to speak, but from what I've seen, that doesn't usually work. If someone wants to correct me, feel free, but I don't think it's Phil that's doing the subbing and tipping here. It's another whale.
no Phils a partner so his split is at least 60:40 as the 50/50 is for non partners.

Comma

kiwifarms.net
I would hazard a guess to the doctor's appointment as the only thing in the last 3 days that could have potentially been expensive but I don't think those bills are due immediately because insurance has to negotiate and pay what they cover before you get your bill for services rendered?
Oh yeah, good point. He might already be deducting whatever the doctor's bill may/will be from his current bank account balance, or some shit like that.

Btw, I went through the (relatively short, luckily) plahg segments during the May 16th and May 18th pre-streams, but I don't hear him actually say his bank account is overdrawn in those. Maybe it's something that was still floating around in my head from before the 15th. The things he does mention being reasons for needing tips right now, are missing a week of income due to the CT visit and the "things behind the scenes" stuff.

Still pretty amazing all things considered, since he received about $3000 from Twitch just days ago. But hey, it's anyone's guess at this point, isn't it?

actually

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
He got ~$2800 from Twitch's payment this month. That seems low, but that's because he pushed tips so hard throughout April. That, combined with him being gone for that week to CT, meant that he got more than half of his Twitch money in April in the form of tips.

Btw, I went through the (relatively short, luckily) plahg segments during the May 16th and May 18th pre-streams, but I don't hear him actually say his bank account is overdrawn in those.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he brought it up last right before his Twitch payment, saying that it was overdrawn twice. Because apparently he's not smart enough to turn off automatic drafts and wait the extra day or so on paying a bill. Guess he's just fine paying $35 each time.

Cyber Bowling

kiwifarms.net
While it does seem doubtful that Phil would be doing that, since he would be losing money. But that being said, the only thing consistent with his money woes is that an unknown always seems to come in and drop some nice cash at him. It always seems to happen too consistently. Sure you can call it the Devil's luck; but after a certain amount of it happening you have to ask if it is real luck, or if he's making his own luck.
This might be entering into tinfoil hat territory, but I think the unknowns are just alt-accounts for some of his regulars that don't want to use their main account/abandoned previously active accounts to hide under a new account to avoid being scrutinized by detractors, especially after the BSV dox saga.

I don't have any doubts Phil has lied in the past about larger tips coming in just to get the momentum rolling, but I don't think he's ever gifted himself subs under an alt or cheered or anything else that involves him taking such a big financial hit. Given how technologically inept Phil is too, I think he'd have slipped up by now and outed himself by gifting from his main DSP account or something when he meant to use an alt.

Haunter

True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Phil got his ass backed down by Viscant irl. Let that sink in. Viscant. He has a well known pattern of getting trampled on by everyone in his real life. Remember how Kat was gonna be in all those videos with him? Not anymore. But Phil runs things right? Must have been his idea. The stars must have aligned and he changed his mind according to your logic.

I never said Phil wasn't ultimately responsible or that he wasn't shit with money. I have always maintained that he is absolutely terrible with and you can see that throughout this entire thread. I said she changed while discussing it online and people convinced her of WA as an option. She sold it to Phil.
Phil's interaction with Viscant was par for the course during his time in the FGC. He commonly shit-talked rivals, and paid for it publicly: His public apology to Alex Valle for insulting him (from @RIP_SANITY's post here), his famous confrontation with Jaha, and his humiliating money match against Mix Up (from @Synth's post here). He continues to do this (Pew Die Pie, Ninja, etc.), but he avoids repercussions by keeping hidden within his meager circle of power.

Leanna was naive and kinda dumb, which made her a perfect fit into this circle. We can see from Leanna's vlogs that she was close to her Mom, and especially to her dog (her attachment to her dog can still be seen when it died, forcing Phil to indifferently end stream and console her). Leanna was separated from both her Mom and her dog by moving to Renton. I think it's more likely that Phil manipulated her into going with him than her voluntarily leaving them both behind.

Kat's a strange new element in the DSPhere that I don't think can be taken to represent the whole of Phil's interactions with others. According to what we know, Phil thought he was getting a maid who energetically desired to cook and clean for him. Had he known he would be swindled out of his purchase, he prolly wouldn't have committed has much money to her as he has.

Btw, I went through the (relatively short, luckily) plahg segments during the May 16th and May 18th pre-streams, but I don't hear him actually say his bank account is overdrawn in those. Maybe it's something that was still floating around in my head from before the 15th. The things he does mention being reasons for needing tips right now, are missing a week of income due to the CT visit and the "things behind the scenes" stuff.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he brought it up last right before his Twitch payment, saying that it was overdrawn twice. Because apparently he's not smart enough to turn off automatic drafts and wait the extra day or so on paying a bill. Guess he's just fine paying $35 each time.
Yeah, I remember the over-drafts getting mentioned. He did repeat it during his post-sick Pre-Stream rant addressing his aborted flu: "I can't afford anymore time off. I can't. Like - I'm behind on bills, I was over-drafted on my bank account for a week..."

The quote's in the second Twitch Clip in "The Sickening II" OP, at 0:19.

Eugene Drizzledick

kiwifarms.net
We're due something breaking with Kat, if it's not pregnancy. I can't buy that she'd put up with Phil for long, just working and making him the finest in homemade culinary creations. And I doubt Phil's thrilled with her either, he wants to show HIS WIFE off.

• Horrifying
Reactions: Heckler1

DarkScrubPhil

kiwifarms.net
Random thought here, but I wonder if the behind-the-scenes issue has something to do with his taxes. We know that he's been underreporting his income through not reporting donations, and with everything that's been going on due to being self-employed, not paying quarterly taxes, and other things, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets audited.

If that happens, that means Phil will have to go through everything, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had to pay substantially more for taxes.

actually

Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This might be entering into tinfoil hat territory, but I think the unknowns are just alt-accounts for some of his regulars that don't want to use their main account/abandoned previously active accounts to hide under a new account to avoid being scrutinized by detractors, especially after the BSV dox saga.

I don't have any doubts Phil has lied in the past about larger tips coming in just to get the momentum rolling, but I don't think he's ever gifted himself subs under an alt or cheered or anything else that involves him taking such a big financial hit. Given how technologically inept Phil is too, I think he'd have slipped up by now and outed himself by gifting from his main DSP account or something when he meant to use an alt.
Almost no doubt about it that regular use alt-accounts to donate. Thatanonymouse/bear/dog/animal specifically said they tipped an amount last summer for Phil to buy one of the wrestling games and gave the correct pseudonym and tipped amount. Anytime you see a series of related names (e.g. anything with "farts" in it) you can probably bet that it's one of the regulars in chat (or someone who doesn't talk in chat but tips regularly). And Phil will know who it is since the email address will be the same.

Random thought here, but I wonder if the behind-the-scenes issue has something to do with his taxes. We know that he's been underreporting his income through not reporting donations, and with everything that's been going on due to being self-employed, not paying quarterly taxes, and other things, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets audited.

If that happens, that means Phil will have to go through everything, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had to pay substantially more for taxes.
@SoapQueen1 @marlintan WEE WOO WEE WOO, your services are requested.

DSP brought this up, "tips aren't donations" and can anyone explain to me if there is a real difference?
Donations are tax deductible: https://www.amazinggoodwill.com/donating/IRS-guidelines

Tips are not, as they are given for a service. On the streamer's side, I don't think it makes a difference, unless the streamer tried to act like a non-profit or something. That said, Phil also tries to say that giving him a game is a charitable gift, which is completely wrong and tax fraud on his part if he tries to actually claim that.

Dragoonism

Es gibt keine Fakten, nur Interpretationen.
kiwifarms.net
Phil's unrecorded ramblings about tips vs donations

What other streamers talks about taxes like Phil does?
All i have ever heard them say about it is that they have to pay them or they have paid them, have never heard any other streamer go into detail about taxes like Phil!

Donations are tax deductible: https://www.amazinggoodwill.com/donating/IRS-guidelines

Tips are not, as they are given for a service. On the streamer's side, I don't think it makes a difference, unless the streamer tried to act like a non-profit or something. That said, Phil also tries to say that giving him a game is a charitable gift, which is completely wrong and tax fraud on his part if he tries to actually claim that.
Think he said it fairly recently or atleast hinted it!

Edit:
Over a hour into his late stream and with "large" number of viewers
283b.jpg

He have only managed to get $2 in donations
283.jpg

And to sum up the stream: "Mortal Kombat (11) is a laggy piece of shit game!"

Last edited:

Sparkletor

kiwifarms.net
DSP brought this up, "tips aren't donations" and can anyone explain to me if there is a real difference?
I guess in the real world you give a service worker a tip to show appreciation of their good work.

A donation is something you no longer need and give to someone less fortunate.

Since Phil doesn't do good work and he solicits pity money you could argue the "tips" he gets are actually charity donations.

Eugene Drizzledick

kiwifarms.net

If Phil really has this accountant/tax guy, he's not getting audited. He probably doesn't make enough to get audited anyway.