Dave Rubin / The Rubin Report / @RubinReport - Boomer conservatism's doormat, claims to support "free speech and big ideas" but refuses to interview anyone but basic bitch conservatives, wrote a shit book full of errors

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

BeboRefugee

Aboard the very much intact Russian Cruiser Moskva
kiwifarms.net
First I thought Dave Rubin was offensively bland, but then I was told the catalyst for his split with the Young Turks was him taking the IDF's side in the July-August 2014 Intifada... gave me some think emojis

TheImportantFart

Breakin' Wind
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dave got cucked off Bill Maher's show by Jay Leno. That's gotta hurt. He'd been hyping his appearance for months and then he gets bounced at the last minute:

lnjvzxwd8t151.jpg

Also, Bret Weinstein's starting to show signs of insubordination, and actually calls Dave out on some mistakes he made in his book:

Bret (1).pngBret (2).png

If Bret gets totally sick of him, that's going to be a major blow to the Intellectual Dark Web. All that needs to happen now is for Jordan Peterson (unlikely) or Sam Harris (more likely) to abandon him and the whole thing will come crashing down. He's already lost Joe Rogan.

I also recently stumbled across this excellent series of videos about Dave. They do a great job of going through his history and analysing his deficiencies as an interviewer and political commentator:

I will say that the video maker uses the word "reactionary" a lot, so I suspect he's BreadTube adjacent, and he also seems to be under the impression Dave's edgier than he actually is (apart from Molyneux and Sotomayor, his guests are usually pretty milquetoast). It also falls into the trap a lot of these videos tend to, where you start to wonder if this person would be so up in arms about Dave's softball interview style if he was constantly interviewing people they agreed with. That said, it's still an excellent series overall and I strongly recommend it.

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

I agree with the KF mods - I support Ukraine
kiwifarms.net
Rubin is a hack with absolutely no editorial consistency whatsoever. He'll invite outright cranks on his show and nod in agreement as they spout the most uninformed right-wing propaganda imaginable, but as soon as Marianne Williamson went on his show and suggested that America should raise it's minimum wage, suddenly, he changed his tune and started frantically offering objections left and right.

It's pretty clear that Dave knows who his target audience is, and it's perhaps even clearer that he cares far more about pandering to that than he does about any notion of truth or journalistic integrity. I doubt the man has a single, solitary principle worth speaking of.
But at least he will bring left wing guests on, which is rare because leftwingers never want to talk outside of an echo chamber. I think Rubin does try to get left wing guests, they are just harder to get on. Talking with the left is nearly impossible and the left has a culture of disowning anyone who talks to a conservative.

That said Rubin is an airhead. I had to stop watching him. He takes his cues from Larry King, his talk show sensei, but instead of being a "good interview strategy" it's just lazy. Larry King was a terrible interviewer and his interviewers were pure fluff.

Dave Rubin is an example of what I think a lot of these people in this sphere are, people that chase subcultures. Dave's not a toxic guy like some of the others in this sphere (Milo is the big one, also people like Sargon), I think he's more like a Joe Rogan, too high to really be able to accurately assess and critically examine what they're being told.

People call guys like Rubin hacks, etc, but in reality they're just average dudes given a platform. The average person is kind of an idiot. The tragedy of social media, even average idiots have their voices raised Dave's probably a nice person to smoke a bowl with, but he's no critical thinker and what youtube really needs are TRUE mavericks ready to go against everyone's grain and not get so wrapped up in the relationships they make with other people that they lose their ability to butcher sacred cows. The best heuristic I have for analzying these people is to see how often they rely on repeated phrases and the same topics. With Rubin it's all "the death of free speech," "classical liberalism," etc. Good topics to focus on, but you harp too much on the same things Dave.

That said, Dave Rubin's had some pretty good interviews but they are his least popular ones. I liked his interview with Shon Hopwood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgUsHzi0Q1A

Dave's sort of a quasi-cow but he's way better than someone like David Pakman who regularly lies about shit, takes self-serving hypocriticial positions on things, and smears people.

TheImportantFart

Breakin' Wind
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But at least he will bring left wing guests on, which is rare because leftwingers never want to talk outside of an echo chamber. I think Rubin does try to get left wing guests, they are just harder to get on. Talking with the left is nearly impossible and the left has a culture of disowning anyone who talks to a conservative.
This might have been true once upon a time, but it's not anymore. Tons of lefties have now asked to go on Dave's show, and he'll ignore them unless they're a lefty who'll bash SJWs (Sam Harris, Bret Weinstein) or who happen to be popular with the anti-SJW crowd (Tulsi Gabbard, Andrew Yang) or if he thinks they'll make an easy target for him to counter (Marianne Williamson - lol, backfired spectacularly).

The last left-winger he invited on who specifically dropped out was Pete Buttgieg. He'll never have a lefty on to discuss leftist principles or policy in the same way he will with a conservative because he knows it will a) piss off his primary audience, and b) make him look a fool. This goes the other way too - he'll never have someone on the true far right on because he knows it will make him too hot to handle.

Of course, it is his show and he can invite or not invite whoever he wants, but as I said in the OP, when you brand your show as the show for "free spech and big ideas" and the big ideas amount to "SJWs bad" (which is hardly a big idea - you'll find precious few normies who disagree), it's time for a rebrand.

It got to the point where Dave was under so much pressure to invite on a leftist, that in a lame attempt to appease his critics and still save face, he tagged a bunch of people on a much bigger platform/profile than his who were never in a million years going to notice or take his invitation seriously. It was such a transparent attempt at evasion, that even people on his side were trying to help him out by giving him names of people who'd be happy to talk to him. These all went ignored:

Unrealistic.png
People call guys like Rubin hacks, etc, but in reality they're just average dudes given a platform. The average person is kind of an idiot.
I agree, but it's really gone to his head, to the point where he seriously thinks he is some deep political thinker.
Dave's sort of a quasi-cow but he's way better than someone like David Pakman who regularly lies about shit, takes self-serving hypocriticial positions on things, and smears people.
I don't rate Pakman much as a political commentator, but he's a damn good interviewer, or at least he used to be, I haven't watched him recently. Interestingly, Dave had Pakman on his show a few years ago to shit on Reza Aslan, but then he went on Pakman's show, got blown the fuck out by some mildly adversarial questions, and for some reason he's never been on Pakman's show since then and Pakman's never been invited back.

Hellbound Hellhound

kiwifarms.net
The Rubin Report is the epitome of an echo chamber. For all Dave's haughty pretensions about the importance of exchanging ideas, he only ever arranges interviews with conservatives these days. I don't believe for one moment that this is an accident, or that left-wing people are "avoiding" him. It's obvious from the framing of his interviews that this is a deliberate editorial decision on his part, and that he's realized (consciously or not) that appealing to an audience of credulous conservatives is now his bread and butter.
Dave's not a toxic guy like some of the others in this sphere (Milo is the big one, also people like Sargon), I think he's more like a Joe Rogan, too high to really be able to accurately assess and critically examine what they're being told.
Joe Rogan is a lot more switched on than Dave. Just watch him effortlessly pick apart Dave's ridiculous opinions about building codes:

TheImportantFart

Breakin' Wind
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So it's child abuse to teach children to not be.......racist? Wut?
View attachment 1381795
That Sesame Street segment sounds pretty cringe from what I’ve heard, but it’s not the first time they’ve done something like this and calling it child abuse is silly. If they were teaching children about conservative values or some shit, he’d be cheering them on same as any other Boomercon idiot.

Also, his Twitter etiquette is appalling. For someone who constantly wrings his hands over civility, he’s utterly unable to apply this himself. Here he is arguing with a former guest. He tries to divert attention away from the issue at hand, gets owned, and then flounces off in a huff. This man can’t argue his case for shit:

348291C6-85B2-4528-9341-72361D804706.png

Interesting to hear Sam Harris is now sick of him. With Bret Weinstein and Joe Rogan taking pot shots at him, the only prominent IDW member still on his side is Jordan Peterson, and he’s got his own problems.

Another pathetic attempt at an own:

C2EF2A7A-CED0-4BA4-97E9-DFCF86FDC756.jpeg

Wow, great comeback. So facts, much logic, very liberals owned with, wow.

TheImportantFart

Breakin' Wind
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here's a fun thing that happened recently. TRS/Daily Shoah alumnus Ghoul went along to one of Dave's talks for Turning Point USA, Charlie Kirk's cringeworthy boomercon grift tank that Dave's been following around like a lapdog since practically day one. During the Q&A, Ghoul pulled the Groyper tactic of asking awkward questions, but he did it more subtly and once again exposed Dave's vapid thinking and reliance on the same old tired talking points.

Afterwards, Ghoul called into the Michael Brooks show (a left-wing show which practically sustains itself shitting on Dave) to recount his experience. You can see a clip of his interactions with Dave towards the end:

Dave often likes to talk about the new centre and healing the divide between left and right, and he's done a great job of it. The left and right have come together to laugh at how pathetic he is.

Dave also seems to think white nationalism is left-wing because it's collectivist don'tcha know, and the TRUE and HONEST far righters are big-brained individualists. This is almost as cringey as Jeff Holliday's assertion that white nationlists are normies.

MrJokerRager

Z Boobs, V Beach Volleyball and O MAGA 2024
kiwifarms.net
Apparently I am getting recommended videos from Secular Talk and Progressive Voice (I haven't been a regular watcher in months) that Dave Rubin is now a conservative, got rejected by Joe Rogan and loves religion. Anyone know what is going on with Dave as I haven't watched his stuff in months also.

TheImportantFart

Breakin' Wind
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Apparently I am getting recommended videos from Secular Talk and Progressive Voice (I haven't been a regular watcher in months) that Dave Rubin is now a conservative, got rejected by Joe Rogan and loves religion. Anyone know what is going on with Dave as I haven't watched his stuff in months also.
Apologies for the late response, but

SkeletalBronzeAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

Anyway, I didn't just necro the thread to post that. Dave's been making a fool of himself again recently.

Firstly, he locked himself out of his iPhone while trying to pull up a tweet. He did this while saying pundits always get things wrong. Again, the Brianna Wu comparison I made in the OP is becoming more apt every day:

He's also angry that Joe Rogan hasn't invited him back on his show (even though he dodges people wanting to go on his show like it's an Olympic sport) and suggests that noted far leftist Joe Rogan moving to Texas will turn the state blue.

Dave was also a featured speaker at CancelCon:

EhBQB0oXgAEzj7E.jpg

Wow, this sure looks thrilling and not cringey at all.

The event went ahead earlier this week. I haven't watched it because I know it will just be the same tired points repeated ad nauseam like always, but what did interest me is that the comments section and dislike bar were attacked by the only thing boomercons hate more than SJWs.

Groypers:

Groyper (1).pngGroyper (2).pngGroyper (3).png

Fellow lolcow Mark Dice also showed up to give his two cents:

Groyper (4).png

When Mark Dice is sounding sensible, you done fucked up.

MrJokerRager

Z Boobs, V Beach Volleyball and O MAGA 2024
kiwifarms.net
Apologies for the late response, but

View attachment 1607593

Anyway, I didn't just necro the thread to post that. Dave's been making a fool of himself again recently.

Firstly, he locked himself out of his iPhone while trying to pull up a tweet. He did this while saying pundits always get things wrong. Again, the Brianna Wu comparison I made in the OP is becoming more apt every day:

He's also angry that Joe Rogan hasn't invited him back on his show (even though he dodges people wanting to go on his show like it's an Olympic sport) and suggests that noted far leftist Joe Rogan moving to Texas will turn the state blue.

Dave was also a featured speaker at CancelCon:

View attachment 1607560

Wow, this sure looks thrilling and not cringey at all.

The event went ahead earlier this week. I haven't watched it because I know it will just be the same tired points repeated ad nauseam like always, but what did interest me is that the comments section and dislike bar were attacked by the only thing boomercons hate more than SJWs.

Groypers:

View attachment 1607575View attachment 1607576View attachment 1607577

Fellow lolcow Mark Dice also showed up to give his two cents:

View attachment 1607578

When Mark Dice is sounding sensible, you done fucked up.
Mark Dice seems more of a working class type who wants results rather than sit back and smell his farts. Him and Cernovich are way way better than all those speakers. And Ben Shapiro is apparently moving to Nashville, Tennessee as well.

Don't know or care who Prager is but his ads on Fox when I watch Tucker is just too dull. As for Carola, a New York Republican that is too milqetoast and critizes lefties rather than provide some solutions for the GOP.

I don't see any solutions from all these commentators over what should the GOP should do in the short and long run other than Democrats are hypocritical degenerates for the umpteenth time.

TheImportantFart

Breakin' Wind
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Cancelcon was a cringey mistake. Did you see the intro they made for the whole shebang?

I hadn't. That's Bibleman-tier embarrassing. I had to go and check the video of the event to make sure it was real and not a parody someone made.

Then again, considering how cheesy Turning Point USA events are with their "How do you do fellow kids?" vibe I suppose I shouldn't be surprised:

Rich Evans Apologist

And thanks for all the braps
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think I first started veering off of the "every progressive who loudly shouts racism is bad is morally and intellectually superior regardless of their personal behavior" train somewhere around 2015, and got knocked off the rails slightly by Bill Maher. A few weeks watching him, it became clear that he was very pick-and-choose with what he chose to rail against and fairly inconsistent in his takes -- and the idea of having 'panels' was a really stupid way to see people debate. I started looking into Gamergate, I remember, a year after the shitstorm had happened just to get a grip on whatever the hell it was - and through finding Pakman, I found Rubin. (Obviously, I moved on from listening to any and all of these folk once it became more and more clear that they're uninsightful hacks singing the same tune on repeat.)

And Rubin in late 2015 was markedly different from who he is now. Back then, he was a breath of fresh air for someone who was questioning lefty ideology but not about to jump on board with the 'christ fixes all your problems' people. He was grabbing people from center-left and center-right, as well as a few oddballs, and he was mostly just letting them talk. He'd basically ask fairly open-ended questions, ask for some clarifications, and was a softball-lobbing interviewer. I remember distinctly an interview he did with Maajid Nawaz (who has also quite seriously declined since then) which was really brilliant - offering up a perspective that was anathema to the two dominant discourses on Islam altogether. So it was that Rubin was doing a good enough job, I think, despite not really being a political or analytical heavyweight back when he was on ORA and just starting out.

Once he got started on his own, though, something sure as shit changed. Maybe it was the financial dependence on his audience, maybe it was his ego, maybe it was mean things people were saying about him (he is notoriously thin-skinned) - probably a blend of it all. He started asking these ridiculous leading questions, trying to nitpick lefty points in ridiculous ways, and sycophantically agreeing with whatever hogwash was served to him so long as it was from a "conservative concerned with the state of discourse." He started repeating a handful of phrases like they were mantras, some kind of protective shield to defend him from trying to wade in and offer an opinion on shit he didn't at all understand. He started trying to leverage his audience and his guests as a reason for him to weigh in -- and then as a defense when he got called out.

Obviously, he started selecting only guests that (he believed) wouldn't make him look like an idiot, wouldn't question his weird tirades, wouldn't interrupt his dipshit monologues. More and more over time, it looked like his original persona - a nice guy who was quickly overwhelmed and who wanted to question things - was just a shtick he was using to get cash and attention. It became really clear that neither his intellect nor his interviewing "skills" were really suited to what he was trying to do, and it increasingly became impossible to come up with any reason why anyone would give this guy the time of day.

In a way, Dave represents the natural course of lazy and weak centrism - stagnation which becomes a steady slide to an uninspired and shallow version of whichever side the drift leads to. What's he done to get informed on any topic but let other people explain to him what his stance should be? If you don't fucking learn anything, you can't ask good questions or serve as a useful debater or moderator. Whenever a political subject pops up, it's so laughably easy to predict what Dave will chime in about it -- but you can make a betting game of how long it'll take him to wax poetic about his dumb hot take. He's very, very like Tim Pool in that way: shallow as fuck knowledge base, 30 minutes to explain a concept that someone well-versed in politics or rhetoric would take maybe 30 seconds to lay out. It was sad in a way to watch Dave's slide away into trying to be a pundit, and yet it was wholly predictable. In a world of grifters, you can't get away with just letting opinionated people talk - you've gotta pander.

Also, goddamn yeah, that cancelcon shit is... sophomoric is too kind to it.