DC Animated Movies (+Long Halloween)

Morethanabitfoolish

kiwifarms.net
Actually eloquent summary
Mostly agree and in a similar boat having read the comics not played the game. I do have a lot of mockery for both though.

That said I appreciate them keeping the Joker's easy mode remark in. The decision to inexplicably make Diana a moral contrast to her comic depiction by the end is odd, in contrast to the comic where they were than playing on Diana's personal upbringing in a more harsh society in some ways influencing her actions and making her support Super Psycho. But that said I had criticisms of her depiction in the comics too (literally kicking of a fight because "I am so sick of words") so I cannot object to it.

Amusingly the DC Abridged series used the "call in a better Superman" before this movie did.

Also Aquaman should not had been in the movie. His whole "Atlantis will not accept this" sounds completely pathetic when the main prison set up is in the ocean. Omit him, I get the writers were lifting a lot of stuff wholesale from the comics but that could have been skipped to look less foolish.

The biggest crime of all though was not keeping this in.

NcrfFWTKfN9mb9-R4TdPP21IHdH7F92b4AlNd1tvNkCMve_voLcapAwzRkkHMEJhW61-XOjiue0-=s1600

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
Mostly agree and in a similar boat having read the comics not played the game. I do have a lot of mockery for both though.

That said I appreciate them keeping the Joker's easy mode remark in. The decision to inexplicably make Diana a moral contrast to her comic depiction by the end is odd, in contrast to the comic where they were than playing on Diana's personal upbringing in a more harsh society in some ways influencing her actions and making her support Super Psycho. But that said I had criticisms of her depiction in the comics too (literally kicking of a fight because "I am so sick of words") so I cannot object to it.

Amusingly the DC Abridged series used the "call in a better Superman" before this movie did.

Also Aquaman should not had been in the movie. His whole "Atlantis will not accept this" sounds completely pathetic when the main prison set up is in the ocean. Omit him, I get the writers were lifting a lot of stuff wholesale from the comics but that could have been skipped to look less foolish.

The biggest crime of all though was not keeping this in.

NcrfFWTKfN9mb9-R4TdPP21IHdH7F92b4AlNd1tvNkCMve_voLcapAwzRkkHMEJhW61-XOjiue0-=s1600

Ha, I remember that line. Alfred was great in Injustice. I've actually just re-read some of this after your post. I really like the artwork in this series. It's not always the most detailed or polished but there's none of the modern, Progressive ugly re-invention of characters. They're physically beautiful, their outfits are bold and heroic. This is old school "gods amongst us" like the sub-title says. Not "Starfire's Daughter" deconstruction.

9ac4eeb9db1267c5787cd80040eb618d.jpg

Oh, and Superman gets a few of his own cutting remarks in as well...

Injustice-2-1-2.jpeg

I saw people online mad about how much Flash got nerfed in order to kill him at the beginning.
I don't blame them. It's not much his powers that get nerfed, mind you. This is something that could happen in any episode of the Flash TV show or most comics versions of him. It's his Plot Armour that is nerfed. By the time he realises it's a trap, he's in it. This is another difference from the comics. In the comics Flash is certainly not nerfed. He's also one of the most good-hearted characters to the extent that when Batman's faction has him captured, John Constantine is actually willing to trust him enough to let him go when he says he wants to save some people's lives. He's also the character who has the chess match with Superman. In the movie they swap him for Mr. Terrific.

flash1.jpg
flash2.jpg
flash3.jpg
flash4.jpg

Ash97

play Front Mission 3 if you haven't already
kiwifarms.net
they announced like 5 animated movies at the Fandome and GL: Beware My Power is the only one I give a shit about because it at least is connected to the new animated universe (Man Of Tomorrow, JS:WWII and Long Halloween)

Long Halloween Part 2 was bad, but hopefully they can bounce back with with GL. There hasn't been a solo GL animated movie since like... 2011 (ironically the year the Reynolds movie came out too) I think?

Injustice was dogshit, but it's not surprising considering it's from the same guys who made that shitty animated MK movie. Voice acting was the only good part, surprisingly everyone did very well.
I've finished Long Halloween Part 2. Very good albeit has a slow start like part 1 still has things in the comic I didn't like such as Bruce being mind-controlled by Poison Ivy being plot convenience why the Holiday Murders have kept going for several months. The writing is very good.
that part was lifted from the novel and I always loved it: the idea that Bruce can just be taken off the board with a parasitic Poison Ivy catching him off-guard is goofy and a bit frightening at the same time.

altho I have no idea how tf hasn't anyone connected Bruce being mind controlled and Batman disappearing for a couple of months.

Last edited:

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
they announced like 5 animated movies at the Fandome and GL: Beware My Power is the only one I give a shit about because it at least is connected to the new animated universe (Man Of Tomorrow, JS:WWII and Long Halloween)

So these are:
  • Catwoman: Hunted
  • Teen Titans Go / DC Hero Girls cross-over (one for the fans, I think)
  • Green Lantern: Beware my Power. (Terrible title, but maybe it'll be good)
  • Battle of the Super Sons (sounds interminable and presumably Superman stuff.)
Trailer for Catwoman: Hunted is up:

Doesn't really grab me but may be willing to give it a try if I don't hear bad things.

Long Halloween Part 2 was bad, but hopefully they can bounce back with with GL. There hasn't been a solo GL animated movie since like... 2011 (ironically the year the Reynolds movie came out too) I think?

Strong disagree on LH:Part 2. I enjoyed it and thought it was very well done. Great art style, good voice acting, stuck pretty well to the plot of the novel (that's a good thing).

Injustice was dogshit, but it's not surprising considering it's from the same guys who made that shitty animated MK movie. Voice acting was the only good part, surprisingly everyone did very well.
Strong disagree from me again, obviously. Not as good at Long Halloween but I felt one of their better showings. Good art and VA. Rushed compared to the comic but unless they did another two-parter that can't be helped.
that part was lifted from the novel and I always loved it: the idea that Bruce can just be taken off the board with a parasitic Poison Ivy catching him off-guard is goofy and a bit frightening at the same time.
Bruce doesn't have powers. Or some special immunity. There's various interpretations of him but it's clear that the one in Long Halloween isn't the unbeatable "Bat God" version and frankly I like that. I dislike Batman as the ultra-prepared always four moves ahead dude who can beat any member of the JL through the power of plot. Being taken off the board by Ivy who coincidentally happened to target a billionaire who had been uncooperative with the mob is eminently plausible. It's meant to be "a bit frightening" because Bruce Wayne is just a man.

altho I have no idea how tf hasn't anyone connected Bruce being mind controlled and Batman disappearing for a couple of months.
It's not like Batman has public engagements or shows his face much in public. There's the DC:AU version that's a public JL member and seen around a lot, but this version is plainly the more "urban legend, bane of criminals sort". Maybe Gordon and Harvey notice he hasn't responded to their call lately but the story takes place over an entire year. It's not like they meet up on that roof top more than three or four times in the entire story. Batman being off-grid for three weeks is not going to make them go "he's Bruce Wayne". Nor did Bruce Wayne go off the grid that they'd know about either. He was still speaking to people, still signing legal documents. As far as anyone knew, he was just holed up in his mansion with some new babe. It's not like he has to go down the shops or leave his massive estate to get things.

Ash97

play Front Mission 3 if you haven't already
kiwifarms.net
Strong disagree on LH:Part 2. I enjoyed it and thought it was very well done. Great art style, good voice acting, stuck pretty well to the plot of the novel (that's a good thing).
it's been a while since I read LH but I'm pretty sure that while Part 1 is pretty close to the original Part 2 deviates from the novel.

I enjoyed the voice acting and the new art style rocks, but Part 2 felt kinda flat for me. Not complete dogshit, but not great either.
Strong disagree from me again, obviously. Not as good at Long Halloween but I felt one of their better showings. Good art
the artstyle is obviously a very subjective thing, but I fucking hate it. Same goes for Scorpion's Revenge. It just doesn't jive with me.

I understand why DC wouldn't want to go with the Phil Bourassa art style (examples: DCAMU movies and Young Justice) or the newer one used for Long Halloween, MoT and JS:WWII but there were other animated movies that look miles better years later such as the very anime looking JL: Doom [2012]
image_2021-10-18_013525.png

or even Superman/Batman: Apocalypse [2010] which is not that great art wise, but looks way better than these MK/Injustice movies
pjuLDTN7qc8ywSG1FVSED1bnihN.jpg

it also doesn't help that the Injustice 1 design were fucking atrocious to begin with
ss_3bd350d730f1ef9960d7cd0c21649f77e270ca93.1920x1080.jpg

and so obviously we can't put that much detail into characters due to budgetary and animation limitations. And so what we get is shitty facsimiles of already shitty designs
3876745-screenshot2021-09-08at12.18.29pm.png

even Superman's primary costume which is one few I like in the original game looks like trash in the movie thanks to the art style
Superman_(IGAUA).png

Rushed compared to the comic but unless they did another two-parter that can't be helped.
it's terribly rushed, they tried to cram so much shit into this movie and it just doesn't work. If you're gonna throw away like 80% of the source material, while also changing half of what remains in order to make it into one movie, then why the fuck make a movie at all.

it's like if Netflix made one Castlevania movie instead of a multiple season show or if Star Wars episodes 3, 4, 5, 6 and Rogue One were crammed into one movie.

It really should've been a show, because even a 2-parter movie would've been rushed af. I don't understand who was this made for:
  • if you want the basic gist of Injustice you can either play the game yourself, or watch the cutscenes compilation on Youtube - despite the fact that the game just skips 5 years into the evil Clark's future the story still works fine.
  • and if you want the whole experience, you can either read the comics yourself or watch someone like Comicstorian narrate them (which is what I did after I finished this movie)
It's not like Batman has public engagements or shows his face much in public.
true, but Falcone was the one who hired Ivy and he was one of the people in Gotham who (indirectly of course) had to deal with Batman

so idk, I feel like connecting the dots in this instance would've been plausible.