Culture DC Comics is criticized for bowing to Chinese pressure and DELETING new Batman ad after outcry that it showed support for Hong Kong protesters -

• The End of Proving Grounds: (Thread) (Update) (Last Call in PG)
    I've enabled GIF avatars across the site again. Don't make me regret this.

Kill all whales

Yang wen li.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
  • The image depicted Batman throwing a molotov cocktail in front of a grey and pink background with the words 'The Future is Young' written in large lettering
  • The illustration had originally been uploaded to promote Frank Miller and Rafael Grampá’s forthcoming new Batman title 'Dark Knight Returns: Golden Child'
  • Critics believed the flaming glass bottle alluded to the younger protesters' more violent tactics, in addition to Batman's clothing resembling protesters' attire
  • Others said the name 'Golden Child' was a veiled reference to the color yellow, which was adopted by pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong five years ago
  • The image has since been deleted which has sparked controversy all over again, though this time the complaints are from the US
  • DC's decision to remove the images led to many accusing the company of censorship and kowtowing to China - likening them to the NBA

DC Comics has faced fierce criticism for pulling an image advertising its new Batman comic from social media on Thursday night following an angry backlash in China after many perceived the poster to be supporting of the ongoing protests in Hong Kong.
Long since-deleted, the image depicted the iconic superhero throwing a molotov cocktail in front of a grey and pink background with the words 'The Future is Young' written in large lettering.
The illustration had originally been uploaded to promote Frank Miller and Rafael Grampá’s forthcoming new Batman title 'Dark Knight Returns: Golden Child', which is scheduled for release next month - however more outrage than interest was drummed up in China.
Chinese internet users were quick condemn the image as a declaration of support for the pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong, a violent and intense standoff soon to enter its sixth month.

1575113685748.png

Long since-deleted, the image depicted the iconic superhero throwing a molotov cocktail in front of a grey and pink background with the words 'The Future is Young' written in large lettering

1575113714911.png

Chinese internet users were quick to take offense, condemning the image as a declaration of support for the protests in Hong Kong for increased autonomy, a violent and intense standoff soon to be entering its sixth month

Critics believed the flaming glass bottle alluded to the younger protesters' more violent tactics, in addition to Batman's dark clothing referencing the black-clad demonstrators seen clashing with police on Hong Kong's streets.

Others even theorized that the titular name 'Golden Child' was a veiled reference to the color yellow, which was previously adopted by pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong five years ago.
'The black clothes represent Hong Kong, the mask represents Hong Kong, the Molotov cocktail represents Hong Kong, what else here doesn’t represent Hong Kong???' One commentator thundered on Weibo.
'No matter what the reason, to put an image like this up at a sensitive time like this means you have a death wish,' another added.
Hundreds of other posts across Weibo, Instagram and Twitter drew similar comments echoing fierce criticisms, in addition to many pledging to never buy or support any of DC's future projects.
'Is Hong Kong really becoming Gotham City? But Hong Kong rioters are not Batman. Instead, they are the criminals of Gotham City,' one user said.

1575113772199.png

Social media users believed the flaming glass bottle alluded to the young protesters' more violent tactics, in addition to Batman's black clothing referencing the black-clad demonstrators clashing with police on Hong Kong's streets

1575113802385.png

Rafael Grampá, the comic’s illustrator, also waded into the debate, sharing a photo of the controversy and branding it 'surreal'

The image has since been deleted from DC's social media pages, which has sparked controversy all over again, though this time the complaints are emanating from the US and among supporters of the pro-democracy movement.
China holds a critical marker for DC's parent company, Warner Brothers' Studios, which may seek to explain the swift decision to pull the illustration from the public domain. 'Aquaman' broke Chinese box office records last December to take in a cumulative $292 million, while 'Shazam!' made $43.8 million in April.
DC's decision to remove the images led to many accusing the company of censorship and kowtowing to China - likening their seeming capitulation to the NBA and Hollywood's recent controversies with with the country.
'Really disappointed on @DCComics,' tweeted one user. 'Just because of China citizen comment few word of Hong Kong democracy, DC choice to del the post on IG....China is affecting US freedom!'
Another asked whether 'So now Batman loves money more than Justice?'

1575113836175.png

The image has since been deleted from DC's social media pages, which has sparked controversy all over again, though this time the complaints are emanating from the US and among supporters of the pro-democracy movement

Grampá, the comic’s illustrator, also waded into the debate, sharing a photo of the controversy and branding it 'surreal'.
An additional social media user said: 'Apparently China rules the world now. The future is young? No, the future is censorship.'
Due out in December, the 48-page one-shot book follows a new Batwoman, Carrie Kelley, who teams with Lara Kent, the daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman, to tackle the latest imminent threat in Gotham City.
The protagonists discover that Lara's little brother, Jonathan Kent, might have the most formidable superpowers on Earth, hence the 'Golden Child' subtitle.
DC Comics has not yet issued a public statement on the matter.

Forever Sunrise

Avatar? I don't need no stinkin' avatar.
kiwifarms.net
I'm sure this outcry will have the same lasting impact as the Blizzcon protests.

Comicbook artists/writers are all overwhelmingly neo-liberal faggots anyway. We have dozens of threads on them. No way they'd dare have the spine to stand up against China. Probably just an anti-Trump statement that got misinterpreted.

WhoBusTank69

kiwifarms.net
Probably just an anti-Trump statement that got misinterpreted.
That's what I assumed, but the lack of molotovs thrown in the states makes it a prime target for China comparisons. Which I'm okay with since it gets people thinking, even though the internet yelling lasts a few days at best.

Judge Holden

Corpsefucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wow who would have guessed.... a corporation that loudly declares itself progressive and whose worker drones spend most their time fuming on social media about how any who dislike their products are bigoted nazis IMMIDIATELY bows down and submits to a race supremacist dictatorship thats building literal concentration camps for brown people alongside butchering them for organs and having its officials rape them to break their spirit.

Weird how this keeps on happening....and that the loudest and most obnoxious woke voices in these companies never seem to have much to say about any of it....

Marco Fucko

Money don't grow on trees.
kiwifarms.net
I'm surprised comics are still around to be frank.

That's what I assumed, but the lack of molotovs thrown in the states makes it a prime target for China comparisons. Which I'm okay with since it gets people thinking, even though the internet yelling lasts a few days at best.
IMO it plays into the LARPing nature of modern western protesting. The same kind of privileged dipshits that constantly ree about which figurehead is in the White House probably unironically think they're fighting a fascist system.

Kacho

Crow suddenly attacked!
kiwifarms.net
Probably just an anti-Trump statement that got misinterpreted.
Nah. This is a Miller helmed Dark Knight book. He is one of the few who does stand out from the crowd. Earlier this year he even put a small jab at the media's Trump obsession in his Superman Year One book.

Superman - Year One 003-020.jpg

Why is Batman dressed like Dracula? Oh, that's not Batman, its some kind of Batwoman?
It's Carrie Kelley the Dark Knight Robin larping as Batman.

The Great Chandler

"Pickleless girls don't marry virgin boys"
kiwifarms.net
Nah. This is a Miller helmed Dark Knight book. He is one of the few who does stand out from the crowd. Earlier this year he even put a small jab at the media's Trump obsession in his Superman Year One book.

View attachment 1030906
Also Miller is a classic within the comic book industry. We wouldn't have Daredevil and Sin City without him. His depiction of Superman is a nice breakthrough from the grit and grime of The Dark Knight.

Marco Fucko

Money don't grow on trees.
kiwifarms.net
Miller, huh? I wonder if this is a sequel to the sequel of Returns or an attempt at replacing it.

Also I guess I need to fess up to being wrong. The writer is a political LARPer of a different nature.

remiem

The Lost Temple
kiwifarms.net
The art style is literally knock off Berserk. Not to mention the helmet bears an uncanny resemblance to Femto helmet.

I get people hating China and I don't know how they've maintained their basically a dictatorship for so long but it's funny when people get up in arms about 'bowing to china'. Pick up almost anything around you currently and there's an 90% chance it's made in china. Your mock outrage means nothing when we're all supporting industries that outsource the making of items to china and the same people who're loudest with complaints would not pay more for consumer goods made in North America.

It's the same with kids protesting climate change while running around if 500$ sneakers made in a sweatshop in china, wearing polyester clothing that's also made in a sweatshop, wearing cosmetics with mica sourced from child labour mines and using THE LATEST iphone they just had to have to record their protests.

You can talk a big game from the safety of the USA/Canada on your twitter but it doesn't mean shit at the end of the day as they're all poor as church-mice and wouldn't support the Americas getting off China's tit by expecting and supporting more expensive quality items made in their home country.

dreamworks face

Model bugman
kiwifarms.net
The art style is literally knock off Berserk. Not to mention the helmet bears an uncanny resemblance to Femto helmet.

I get people hating China and I don't know how they've maintained their basically a dictatorship for so long but it's funny when people get up in arms about 'bowing to china'. Pick up almost anything around you currently and there's an 90% chance it's made in china. Your mock outrage means nothing when we're all supporting industries that outsource the making of items to china and the same people who're loudest with complaints would not pay more for consumer goods made in North America.

It's the same with kids protesting climate change while running around if 500$ sneakers made in a sweatshop in china, wearing polyester clothing that's also made in a sweatshop, wearing cosmetics with mica sourced from child labour mines and using THE LATEST iphone they just had to have to record their protests.

You can talk a big game from the safety of the USA/Canada on your twitter but it doesn't mean shit at the end of the day as they're all poor as church-mice and wouldn't support the Americas getting off China's tit by expecting and supporting more expensive quality items made in their home country.
The only reason China affects me in any way is because companies are trying to suck China titty and easing up on the violence, drugs and LGTBQIA sex in my comic book movies and games, and I'm very much pro violence, drugs and LGTBQIA sex in media. I feel like I should be able to buy cheap electronic crap that doesn't work at low, low prices while artists should maintain some sort of artistic integrity and cover my media in decadence and filth - in the future, there will be a meth-smoking serial killer tranny Supergirl in a major motion picture marketed at 9 year old children.

Token Weaboo

We're here to liberate you, stop resisting
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This whole outrage stuff will last for maybe a week or two and people will forget all about it. Luckily, every company that has cucked out to China I don't use anyway. So soft protest ahoy!

Our Islamic content rating is for muslim-related shit, but at this point we need a Chinese content rating, doesn't everyone agree?
"made in china"

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino